• Network: NBC
  • Series Premiere Date: Apr 4, 2013
  • Season #: 1 , 2
8.7

1. Mar 14, 2014
    slow slow slow... flashbacks are redundant with little connection to story...we know hannibal is the it killer, but are dragged through the trial of will graham.......getting really tired of the persecution of will graham...
  2. Feb 27, 2014
    No need to mention what the series is about, mostly self explanatory, except to say there's a need to quell any qualms about the actors playing these characters as awful because they're not, unfortunately its the most solid thing in this show. Mildly "entertaining" as many of these shows are, but many users and critics seem to miss the point when it comes to the shows that are on networks such as NBC, CBS, etc..... there's almost no point in reviewing them in any traditional sense since the whole point of them is to create advertising revenue, almost makes it pointless going to work if your employed by one of the programs. The sex scenes are completely censored, there no swearing at all, so except for a period piece where speech patterns are different this seems to be incredibly unrealistic, zero nudity, the violence is like a cartoon, and where there does seem to be a shred of integrity in the writing its completely undone by treating the audience like morons and repeating themselves over and over. This is my review for most shows on the these networks, and, in my opinion, unless its on FX, HBO, Netflix, Showtime, etc, there's almost no point in tuning in. That's not to say every single show on these providers are television gold but at least they have a creative head start no? I could go on all day about the lines that separate "entertainment" and "art" but in the end if you choose guilty pleasures over mental sustenance, or at least something healthy in-between, then there's little left to say. Expand
  3. Dec 4, 2013
    Pretty much everything is wrong with this show, although I'd for me personally Hettienne Park and her character account for at least 20% of what's wrong here. She manages to establish herself as this show's Jennifer Carpenter within the first few seconds of her screentime.

But to be fair, there's a lot more wrong with this show, a garden variety case of basic cable syndrome: Everything
    in this show is a sillier repetition of things that have been done before. It's all dulled and dumbed down to the least common denominator. The smug "jokes" are Burn Notice material; the "murder face" effect is repetitive and gets old during the first half of the pilot, unless you're Amish.

The source material might have made for a decent series on a premium cable network, although tons of things would have to be completely different, including all actors except Mads Mikkelsen.
  4. Jun 28, 2013
    The mere content of the show alone would be enough to engage a decent portion of the populous. However, for people who enjoy thrillers, horrors and crime drama, the lack of suspense and lack of charisma in the lead characters detracts heavily from what should be a gripping show. I can only blame a poor choice of cast and heavy handed directed from spoiling what could have been a watchable series.
  5. May 16, 2013
    The imagery and murders have been interesting but so far I haven't seen any of the episodes wrap up nicely. They always seem to need a leap in logic to catch the killer. Also, this rendition of Will Graham is a bit aggravating. It'd be nice if the entire world didn't seem to revolve around him. The actor playing Hannibal is pretty good though.
  6. Apr 27, 2013
    I love a good horror movie as well as the next but this is just not good gru. This show lacks any sense of humor or empathy. The writing is putrid and the graphics are disturbing without any redemption. Having watched the third episode I cancelled my season pass and moved on. When they leave a serial killer's daughter alone in her house, even though, she may have been involved in the murders, I threw up my hands. A suspect left alone to kill another suspect and then gets recruited by Hannibal who has time to hide the body while a crap load of cops are outside...oh yeah somehow he gets a bump on the head.....dreadful dreck! The dialogue and acting is god-awful. Oh, and the constant "eerie" soundtrack to set the mood is mind-numbing. This show is NBC's version of "Monk" meets "Criminal Minds"...feh! Expand
  7. Apr 27, 2013
    The story is so full of BS that no actor can save this show. Written with complete disregard of probability, logic and common sense. A waste of great cast, characters and your time.
  8. Apr 14, 2013
    I really did not like the first episode. Too many flashbacks of Will Graham. I much prefer the Thomas Harris books and his first film, MANHUNTER. This tries too hard with blood and gore but needs a better plot.
  9. Apr 10, 2013
    I was looking forward to this series, since The silence of the Lamps is my fav. movie of all times. I could never have imagined that the actor who is casted as Dr. Lecter would be such a disappointment i guess i had high standards from Sir Anthony Hopkins!
    ...i don't think i will be watching episode 2
  10. Apr 9, 2013
    The premise seems interesting, but the directing and acting make this show seem to drag on forever. Even graphic blood and psychopaths can't stop this from being a snooze-fest.
  11. Apr 7, 2013
    The actors are all top notch. The concept is extremely intriguing. The actual writing and direction are horrible. Execution is everything and they manage to blow it by a mile. I'll watch one more but if the next episode stays as muddled as the first one.....sayanara.

1. Reviewed by: Chuck Bowen
    Jun 18, 2013
    Hannibal is richer and more ambiguous than prior Harris adaptations; it's an exploration of social decay that's rife with literal and figurative cancers eating everyone alive from the ground up.
  2. Reviewed by: Tim Goodman
    Apr 5, 2013
    By the end of the first hour, it has managed to make Dancy, Fishburne and Mikkelsen a formidable trio of characters, and each actor responds in kind with strong, engaging performances. Another sign of a good series is the fact that beyond the main three, the supporting cast is filled with solid actors and--more important--strong, vivid characters.
  3. Reviewed by: Rick Porter
    Apr 4, 2013
    It's anchored by several great performances, and it's among the more distinctive and gorgeously filmed shows on the air right now.... What did turn me off a bit in the first couple episodes of Hannibal was the victims were all young women.