• Network: NBC
  • Series Premiere Date: Apr 4, 2013
Season #: 1, 2, 3
8.8

1. May 4, 2015
    The best tv show of 2013-2014, totally worth watching. Don't listen to the bad reviews/critics, they prob. only watched the pilot. Give it time and chance, its a masterpiece. 10/10
  2. Apr 29, 2015
    Grotesquely gorgeous and an absolute joyride. Each episode features well-crafted dialogue and stunning cinematography, along with the jaw-dropping performances from Mads Mikkelsen, Hugh Dancy, Laurence Fishburne, and Caroline Dhavernas, amid a stellar supporting cast with equally amazing guest stars (including the luminous Gillian Anderson stealing the show).
    Mads and Hugh ground the show
    Mads and Hugh ground the show with their chemistry. Whether they are working against each other or (seemingly) with each other, the tension between Mads' Hannibal Lecter and Hugh's Will Graham draws everyone's attention with a single exchanged glance.
    Mads, in particular, delivers a performance that cuts with the subtlety of a scalpel and the elegance of a dancer. From his role as a loathed manipulator in Season 1, his Hannibal earns the audience's sympathy until everything comes to a crescendo in Season 2's finale. Mizumono is one of the finest hours of TV ever crafted; just like the characters, anyone who experiences Mizumono does not walk away unscathed and unchanged.
  3. Apr 28, 2015
    Easily one of the best shows I've seen and my current favorite. Disturbingly beautiful, cinematic quality, and a must-see for anyone who enjoys psychological thrillers. Hugh Dancy is utterly perfect in his role as the unstable profiler Will Graham and Mads Mikkelsen's performance as the iconic Hannibal Lecter not only rivals Anthony Hopkins', but also surpasses it in many ways (and IEasily one of the best shows I've seen and my current favorite. Disturbingly beautiful, cinematic quality, and a must-see for anyone who enjoys psychological thrillers. Hugh Dancy is utterly perfect in his role as the unstable profiler Will Graham and Mads Mikkelsen's performance as the iconic Hannibal Lecter not only rivals Anthony Hopkins', but also surpasses it in many ways (and I never, ever thought I would say that). Expand
  4. Mar 7, 2015
    Hannibal is a very good show it has great potential. It has great characters like mad Milkkelsen , Laurence Fishburne and Dana Scully. The best cast i have seen in any tv show. I have great hope that this tv show will rise and be as great as breaking bad,game of thrones etc
  5. Feb 7, 2015
    Intelligent people talking about death and murder with intelligent words. Sometimes boring, sometimes very deep and interesting. Only show that really tries to go deep while not losing its audience. I found it enjoyable just as I did the books it was based off of.
  6. Jan 5, 2015
    Very good tv series, Mads Mikleson really does an amazing interpretation on our beloved psychopath hannibal, he is very charming and puts a new spin on Hannibal which is hard to describe. Another key character is Will graham, a man with a troubled mind, who throughout most of the first season is unsure whether hannibal is friend or foe. The only reason this show didn't receive a 10, wasVery good tv series, Mads Mikleson really does an amazing interpretation on our beloved psychopath hannibal, he is very charming and puts a new spin on Hannibal which is hard to describe. Another key character is Will graham, a man with a troubled mind, who throughout most of the first season is unsure whether hannibal is friend or foe. The only reason this show didn't receive a 10, was down to the fact that season 1 gets a little bit repetitive, however this is rectified in season 2. Expand
  7. Dec 5, 2014
    This might seem like a typical police procedural tv series with a killer-of-the -week filler episodes at first glance, but this show from its pilot grows onto be much more, the portrayal of psychologically disturbed Will Graham and serial killer Hannibal is excellent and their relationship before Hannibal is discovered to be a serial killer is very interesting. Over the course of theThis might seem like a typical police procedural tv series with a killer-of-the -week filler episodes at first glance, but this show from its pilot grows onto be much more, the portrayal of psychologically disturbed Will Graham and serial killer Hannibal is excellent and their relationship before Hannibal is discovered to be a serial killer is very interesting. Over the course of the series you learn to empathise with both these characters, which is especially surprising when it comes to Hannibal because the show does not hesitate to show us how sadistic he can be. The killers of the week in this show don't compromise of cliches we see in police procedurals, everyone of them is unique, and the show makes sure that the psychology behind the murders they commit is properly and elaborately explained and is the main reason why their extremely sick and twisted nature is believable. This show also has steady momentum, there is no episode that deviates from the main plot significantly enough to call it a filler even with the individual cases presented every week, this also helps maintain suspense throughout the show with every episode significantly contributing to the development of the main characters and main plot. All in all Hannibal is probably the best show there is on television right now and is definitely worth watching. Expand
  8. Oct 12, 2014
    I have just started watching this show. The creation of this character by Thomas Harris has always fascinated me and Sir Anthony Hopkins had taken it to a new level. I thought Mads Mikkelsen had big shoes to fill and he's done justice to it, bringing the same charm and fear to Lecter. Hugh Dancy as Graham is great with the "at-war-with-himself" look he portrays often. The supporting castI have just started watching this show. The creation of this character by Thomas Harris has always fascinated me and Sir Anthony Hopkins had taken it to a new level. I thought Mads Mikkelsen had big shoes to fill and he's done justice to it, bringing the same charm and fear to Lecter. Hugh Dancy as Graham is great with the "at-war-with-himself" look he portrays often. The supporting cast does its job well and the filming and the soundtrack is an additional treat to savor. Expand
  9. Oct 9, 2014
    One of the better TV series of the current age, "Hannibal" offers a fresh and effective take on the classical Harris story. NBC has done an amazing job at bringing this universe to life, making it feel real in our day and age. Shot very well, with some creative freedom allowed, this movie upgrades the already introduced formula in the books, and executes everything almost perfectly. LeadOne of the better TV series of the current age, "Hannibal" offers a fresh and effective take on the classical Harris story. NBC has done an amazing job at bringing this universe to life, making it feel real in our day and age. Shot very well, with some creative freedom allowed, this movie upgrades the already introduced formula in the books, and executes everything almost perfectly. Lead actors do a superb job, acting-out a well-written script with a well kept level of quality. Overall, "Hannibal" leaves us craving for more, for all the good reasons. This is one of the best TV series I've ever seen, and I strongly recommend it to anyone with a strong heart. Expand
  10. Sep 24, 2014
    Hugh Dancy and Mads Mikkelsen have an amazin chemistry on screen. This is a MUST _SEE show :) Every episode is a complex art piece that must be appreciated.
  11. Jul 30, 2014
    From the first show, I became addicted. Amazing story, great actors, suspense and most of all... psychiatry and the power of the mind. Unique, suspenseful, addicting, stunning show.
  12. Jul 27, 2014
    For many fans of the Hannibal Lechter films, the jury is still out on the new TV show, Hannibal. While the ratings have been passable, when you ask people what they think of the show, most will tell you they haven't seen it yet. If NBC would put more money into advertising and let it stream on Netflix, I have little doubt that this will be a top ten show.

People are hesitant to watch a

People are hesitant to watch a Lechter story without the legendary Anthony Hopkins, however once you get into the story, you will see that this isn't a problem. The series takes place in between the events of Hannibal Rising and Red Dragon, featuring Will Graham (Hugh Dancy) in his prime, as the FBI's top profiler. As seen in the opening scene of Red Dragon, Graham got help solving his cases from the world renowned psychologist, Dr. Hannibal Lechter (Mads Mikkelsen). The series focuses on this relationship, with Graham, who of course is in the dark over who Lechter really is. Lechter serves as a calming element in the vary chaotic and troubled life of Graham, and also plays the intermediary between Graham and his boss, Jack Crawford (Laurence Fishburne). This dynamic allows the FBI to solve some of the most heinous serial crimes they've been faced with.

For those of you still hesitant about watching this series, a few things to keep in mind. The same writers, producers, and directors who worked on the four films are behind this series. There are frequent references to all the films, and points where they actually clear up plot holes from the films. That alone should be enough to get people interested, but what really brings the story to the same level as the film series is Hugh Dancy as Will Graham.

Will Graham is a much deeper character than we came to know in Red Dragon. He is extremely complicated and as it turns out, not all that different from Lechter. Hugh Dancy, a veteran of a lot of bad movies, stars and is tremendous. Award shows are notorious for ignoring performances in series that feature gore and violence, but if anyone deserves an Emmy for best actor it his him. Dancy regularly gives a performance that is the best I've seen in a TV show since Breaking Bad. He really is that good.

Mads Mikkelsen is also terrific as Dr. Lechter. I wasn't sure how a French guy known for B-movies would do taking on the epic character of Hannibal Lechter, but he has shown all the class, humor, and madness of the legendary character. Finally, Laurence Fishburne rounds out the cast as the only big name involved in the project. He plays the boss, Jack Crawford, and is very important as the man who brought Graham and Lechter together. In my opinion, Fishburne is the perfect choice as he's cold, emotionless, and deeply focused on on thing, getting the job done.

You don't know most of the actors, but you know the characters. The cast of Hannibal is outstanding and will give you the chance to see your favorite characters in a whole other light. I love the Lechter films and was hesitant about watching this show myself. I didn't want to tarnish my view of the characters or the films, but this series is the missing companion piece that fills in the holes and gives you an all new appreciation for Lechter.
  13. Jul 10, 2014
    A large part of the population knows about the movie Hannibal, a brilliant psychiatrist and cannibalistic serial killer. He was first time introduced to us in 2001 with Anthony Hopkins as the main actor. Hannibal Lecter is actually a fictional character in a series of suspense novels by Thomas Harris. Hopkins won the award as the best movie villain (Hannibal Lecter) by the American FilmA large part of the population knows about the movie Hannibal, a brilliant psychiatrist and cannibalistic serial killer. He was first time introduced to us in 2001 with Anthony Hopkins as the main actor. Hannibal Lecter is actually a fictional character in a series of suspense novels by Thomas Harris. Hopkins won the award as the best movie villain (Hannibal Lecter) by the American Film Institute in June 2010th. Therefore, it was hard to go to watch a series, with such good reviews on movie, when I first heard about the series, I just shook my head … nahh not worth, another trash .. it was a BIG mistake. After I ran out of other series, i began to watch it and I couldn't stop until the end of the season.

Firstly, I'm not a fan of horror and puzzles, mostly because I know the outcome and the actions are predictable. But just because of that i remained intrigued, the cast is excellent. Hannibal character is played by Danish actor Mads Mikkelsen and presents great acting, his face was emotionless he was predator, a joker, a puppeteer, morbid killer who is always one step ahead of everyone. Actually played a quiet but much more lethal than the figure presented by Hopkins. The only person who can keep track of him is Will Graham (Hugh Dancy), he is highly intelligent but often Conflicted man, tormented by his own imagination and has yet to live it each day for the greater good. FBI Inspector Jack Crawford (Laurence Fishburne) calls Graham to be criminal profiler for his ability to empathize with serial killers and there begins a game of cat and mouse.
    The second season continues after Graham went to jail and awaiting trial for murders. For those who have not watched the first season I'll just briefly say that the with various intrigues Will was declared for Hannibal and he is awaiting trial. In total mess of his mind, hi is trying to get to the truth of how he ended up in this place. As series goes on a part of his memories are returning, and he realizes that the sessions, which he had with Hannibal, where used to abuse his mind. The first time we come to the controversial part when Will tries to convince a brutal serial killer to kill Hannibal, killer fails and end up killed, and second time when he presents himself as killer to Hannibal.

The second season, from my impression, is no worse than the first one, moreover, it complements and adds even more twists, strange cases, with more transparency in the relationship between Will and Lectora. Will Graham catch Lectora or will he falter over this monster, remains to be seen in the remaining three episodes that follow.
  14. Jul 5, 2014
    One of the best shows out at the moment. Casting, direction, and photography are all expertly crafted. The atmosphere is dark and the concept intriguing, especially for an already big fan of silence of the lambs. Kudos to the writers for putting together such a wonderful show when it could have easily fallen into the realm of fan service
  15. Jun 24, 2014
    God I love this show and this show gets away so much being on NBC. Bryan Fuller does everything right with this disturbing and twisted show. Everything is so refined and amazing.
  16. Jun 17, 2014
    Well at first i wanna say that i watched all films with Anthony Hopkins. These films are pretty good, but not so catchy and haunting as series are. By the way, interest to this specific movie genre came into my sight after watching Dexter series. And i've tried to watch a lot of films and series about psychopaths. But in most cases it wasn't interesting. What people seek in such kind ofWell at first i wanna say that i watched all films with Anthony Hopkins. These films are pretty good, but not so catchy and haunting as series are. By the way, interest to this specific movie genre came into my sight after watching Dexter series. And i've tried to watch a lot of films and series about psychopaths. But in most cases it wasn't interesting. What people seek in such kind of pictures? A gloat over another's insanity, or an approvement of their own normality? Or maybe they looking for skills - how to diagnose psychopaths? Well i don't think so. In most cases people just wanna see some bloody action or intriguing breathtaking storyline. I, among other things, was interested in the story that reveals social aspects of the origin of madness and also touches philosophical questions about the boundaries of normality. Anyways you'll find all these things in the Hannibal series.
    P.S. already waiting for season 3.
  17. May 27, 2014
    Mads Mikkelsen and Hugh Dancy are a true dream team in this nightmarish re-imagining of Thomas Harris's cult classic Red Dragon. Besides the excellent acting (not forgetting Laurence Fishburne) NBC's new drama has a plot that is (forgive me) to die for. Be warned: there is a fair bit of gore in the series. But don't let that fact turn you away from it! The show provides a great look at theMads Mikkelsen and Hugh Dancy are a true dream team in this nightmarish re-imagining of Thomas Harris's cult classic Red Dragon. Besides the excellent acting (not forgetting Laurence Fishburne) NBC's new drama has a plot that is (forgive me) to die for. Be warned: there is a fair bit of gore in the series. But don't let that fact turn you away from it! The show provides a great look at the pathology of a true monster, and the crisis' that may develop in those who attempt to delve into it. The only real reason not to watch this show is if the plot is to intelligent for you to follow, in which case you would be better of watching CSI, where every move is explained to you. Sit back, enjoy, and don't forget the popcorn. Expand
  18. May 25, 2014
    Television critics often see themselves as society's moral guardians, to some degree. So, a film that is full of violence, no matter how artistically crafted, will garner their disapproval. I think that is one explanation for the 20 point difference between critics and fans here.

For my money, this is right up there with the best of the best, in this amazing age of excellent television. The season 2 finale exceeded all my expectations, and was definitely among the most artistic, beautiful, and compelling hours to watch ever created, even if that beauty is couched in suspense and violence.
  19. May 5, 2014
    Surprising to see such a graphic show on NBC. The acting is brilliant, and the directing and writing are excellent. I can't imagine a better Lecter than Mikkelsen. One of my favorite TV shows.
  20. Apr 24, 2014
    I Almost just made this account to tell the writers and people about this incredible rare and unique series broadcast on Nbc, Axn. The Hannibal series is terribly underestimated and underapreaciated, this will cause the series to fall. Please support hannibal series and bring them up, i just hate silly series beeing broadcasted in tv like pawn stars pawn this pawn that too many comicI Almost just made this account to tell the writers and people about this incredible rare and unique series broadcast on Nbc, Axn. The Hannibal series is terribly underestimated and underapreaciated, this will cause the series to fall. Please support hannibal series and bring them up, i just hate silly series beeing broadcasted in tv like pawn stars pawn this pawn that too many comic series, please stop! .. Bring up the good series, good police series. Start watching good shows or we will find ourselves with **** series like pawn stars and even if you know its stupid it has a lot more views than hannibal, how is that even possible!! , this is a masterpiece, you are making tv look stupid!, yes you! , the consumers dont support art and support crappy tv shows. I hope somebody hear me. Im sorry for my english im from Argentina. Cheers! Expand
  21. Apr 16, 2014
    I must have missed this or misinterpreted an episode, my question: what is the significance of the Bull Elk that keeps appearing??? It seems to only appear when Will is in the "zone", I obviously missed something early on...
  22. Apr 16, 2014
    The BEST series i've seen so far! Amazingly well written and directed, acting is magnificent, graphics and effects are WOWW!! What's best is the art of killing involved, aws each episode is presented with a delicate murder served with a side of some fine body parts. You'll fall in love with it, guaranteed.
  23. Apr 12, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. absolutely great.I love the mind games that Hannibal has played with Grant through out the season and each episode is as sick and twisted (in a good way) as the next. Expand
  24. Apr 8, 2014
    Brilliant tv show with twist and turns that have you at the edge of your seats. I absolutely love this show and highly recommend it. Its nothing like the common mundane and cliche shows out on tv.
  25. Apr 8, 2014
    I find that Hannibal has been a phenomenal TV series thus far. Not only is it highly creative, it also supplements it's shady tone with mouth-watering suspense. I would highly recommend it to anyone who enjoys a good TV Drama/Thriller.
  26. Apr 4, 2014
    Hugh Dancy, and Mad Mikkelsen put on the performance of their lives in the new thriller Hannibal. With the second season just starting it is a perfect time to catch up on a different look a Hannibal Lecter. Loosely based off the book Red Dragon, Will Graham investigates serial killers, as a FBI profiler, because he has a unique understanding of them. He is then observed by Dr. HannibalHugh Dancy, and Mad Mikkelsen put on the performance of their lives in the new thriller Hannibal. With the second season just starting it is a perfect time to catch up on a different look a Hannibal Lecter. Loosely based off the book Red Dragon, Will Graham investigates serial killers, as a FBI profiler, because he has a unique understanding of them. He is then observed by Dr. Hannibal Lecter to make sure that he is okay. Bringing a lot of suspense into the show, it is great for all of the thriller fans out there.

Bloody and Delicious, don’t try to eat while watching this show. It may be one of the goriest television shows on at the moment. With this gore it keeps you in a perfect mindset to watch this twisted and disturbing (in the best way possible) show. Also while watching you begin to understand what drives people to kill. This leads to sympathetic attachment to Will Graham as he can understand and feel what the serial killer thinks.

These episodes will keep you on the edge of your seat. Your mind will be heavily into the show as you try to comprehend everything that is going on. My only complaint is that at some points it seems to go a little slow, but this only adds to the suspense and thrill. The real talent is the acting by Hugh Dancy and Mad Mikkelsen as they play off from each other well. As Hannibal (Mad Mikkelsen) continually toys between being a good friend to Will (Hugh Dancy) and his deep dark secret.
  27. Apr 3, 2014
    I'm home on a Friday night and willing to spend my time with Hannibal. Some associations are being made with the great "True Detective", but I think Hannibal better. Each episode is well written, and the visuals warrant 1080p viewing. The best part is re-watching the episodes for all the cues and innuendos I missed. Try it out... You won't be disappointed.
  28. Apr 2, 2014
    Dark, smart and compelling, Hannibal is the best show on television that no one is watching. Original yet respectful of the source material, the writing, acting, and overall production value continue to astound. I wouldn't recommend marathoning it not because of the quality of the product but because of what it could do to your psyche. Hannibal pushes the limits of what a major network canDark, smart and compelling, Hannibal is the best show on television that no one is watching. Original yet respectful of the source material, the writing, acting, and overall production value continue to astound. I wouldn't recommend marathoning it not because of the quality of the product but because of what it could do to your psyche. Hannibal pushes the limits of what a major network can show on air and you will love it all the more for that. Expand
  29. Mar 27, 2014
    This So called show "Hannibal" is the most brilliant piece of art, in the work of films, that i have managed to watch for my entire life. The parts in "Hannibal" where bodies is laying all over, can maybe become a little overwhelming, for some people at least, but for the most people, i think, this could be a nice and good attachment to their history in films.
  30. Mar 14, 2014
    The first season of Hannibal is a lot like a roller coaster ride, and I don't mean that in the usual sense of it being a thrill ride (although the show is certainly that), but rather in the way it plays out. There is a bit of a slow, measured beginning, one where you are carried to a place where you can look ahead of you and see what lies in store before the plunge. We the audience canThe first season of Hannibal is a lot like a roller coaster ride, and I don't mean that in the usual sense of it being a thrill ride (although the show is certainly that), but rather in the way it plays out. There is a bit of a slow, measured beginning, one where you are carried to a place where you can look ahead of you and see what lies in store before the plunge. We the audience can tell early on where this season is taking us as it stares us in the face for the first few episodes. And then the coaster drops. As Hannibal takes us on this spectacular ride we find ourselves thrilled and oftentimes a bit sickened, still much like a roller coaster, by the images and violent murder depictions that hit us in each episode. They are spectacularly shot and horrifying to behold, though thankfully the sense of realism is extremely heightened as not to utterly repulse us. These aren't traditional serial killers we are watching the characters go after, they are artists expressing themselves through horrifying means, and Hannibal Lecter and Will Graham are like the critic and the appraiser. Hannibal is also an artist himself, both in his butchery of man and in the way he serves up their flesh to guests and to himself. Yes, even when he eats alone there is a performance in his consumption of his victims.
    Season 1 of Hannibal is the best first season of a show I have seen since the first season of Lost (I would love to say Breaking Bad, but its first season was, although awesome, very short). The great thing going for Hannibal, a thing which perhaps a show like Lost could've benefitted from, is that there is a clear plan in place for the characters and what is to come for them. It also benefits from outstanding performances from all of its players, particularly Hugh Dancy as Will Graham and Mads Mikkelsen as Hannibal Lecter, with the latter bringing us an interpretation that rivals the great Sir Anthony Hopkins's legendary performance. Yes, it's that good.
    Hannibal is a wonderful ride from the first episode to the last of season 1 and it only promises to get even better. It is admittedly not for the squeamish, but if you can handle the show's violence then you are in for a real treat. Hannibal is truly outstanding television.

1. Reviewed by: Chuck Bowen
    Jun 18, 2013
    Hannibal is richer and more ambiguous than prior Harris adaptations; it's an exploration of social decay that's rife with literal and figurative cancers eating everyone alive from the ground up.
  2. Reviewed by: Tim Goodman
    Apr 5, 2013
    By the end of the first hour, it has managed to make Dancy, Fishburne and Mikkelsen a formidable trio of characters, and each actor responds in kind with strong, engaging performances. Another sign of a good series is the fact that beyond the main three, the supporting cast is filled with solid actors and--more important--strong, vivid characters.
  3. Reviewed by: Rick Porter
    Apr 4, 2013
    It's anchored by several great performances, and it's among the more distinctive and gorgeously filmed shows on the air right now.... What did turn me off a bit in the first couple episodes of Hannibal was the victims were all young women.