Hannibal : Season 1

• Series Premiere Date: Apr 4, 2013
Season #: 1, 2, 3
8.6

1. Apr 17, 2016
    An amazing series, so beautifully written, shot and acted. It's the goriest art film ever made, and something of a miracle that this was on network TV. "Hannibal" doesn't take place in the real world, it's in its own special realm of beauty and madness, so bear that in mind as you're watching. Do certain things not add up? It doesn't matter. This is a fever dream.
  2. Jan 11, 2016
    One of the mot beautifully filmed blood baths on television. Every episode is gory, intense and packed with amazing writing. The cinematography makes Hannibal one of the most stunning shows on television.
  3. Dec 26, 2015
    A strong showing, all round, by everyone. The acting and script writing is very good with a few plot holes here and there. Hannibal is one of the most menacing characters I have seen in a TV show, and his actions and interactions made me want to see what will happen next. Like in the original movie, there are times when you actually root for Hannibal because in many ways he is a lesserA strong showing, all round, by everyone. The acting and script writing is very good with a few plot holes here and there. Hannibal is one of the most menacing characters I have seen in a TV show, and his actions and interactions made me want to see what will happen next. Like in the original movie, there are times when you actually root for Hannibal because in many ways he is a lesser evil than the people he eats, but at other times you can only grimace at his actions. The two bad things about this show are that the cops tend to be really dumb, and it gets tiring to see Hannibal get extremely lucky all the time. In many ways, this show reminds me of Dexter, but Dexter added a lot of dark humor while this show tends to stay straight forward. Still, one of my favorite shows on TV and I was very sad when they announced its cancellation. Hopefully someone will pick it up and continue. Expand
  4. Dec 24, 2015
    Great tv show:
    The main cast is perfect,
    Every character add something to the plot, The direction is completely different to every show out there, The murder scenes are explicit and give the show an "extra" that most shows are too afraid to even think. The problem with this show is that sometimes it's too complex for his own good and there are a couple of story details that don't
    Great tv show:
    The main cast is perfect,
    Every character add something to the plot,
    The direction is completely different to every show out there,

The problem with this show is that sometimes it's too complex for his own good and there are a couple of story details that don't add up and end up hurting the show because how intelligently everything else is presented.

One of my favourites show without a doubt.
  5. Oct 10, 2015
    This is a visually stunning and interesting new interpretation of the story. It's creepy in a good way. Hugh Dancy's and Mads Mikkelsen's acting are great.
  6. Oct 6, 2015
    finally saw this show, and man oh man was i pleased. after the initial "silence of the lambs," a groundbreaking thriller and genre masterpiece, anthony hopkins found himself reduced to a catch phrase spewing parody of himself in later iterations (Hannibal (film,) Red Dragon.)
    In Hannibal (tv), Mads Mikkelsen takes a different approach to Thomas Harris' infamous character. The bombastic and theatrical Hopkins is no longer, and now we have an eerily brilliant mask of quiet charm. Hannibal will often speak innocuously while simultaneously revealing himself, as if to wink at his would be captures. He's so charmed them in this season that it begins to extend to the audience, and you'll find yourself struggling to remember that, despite his abundant gentility (or perhaps in congruence with it) he is a monster.
    What's so brilliant is how evocative his Hannibal is of the source material, in spite of his vast disparity from the original Lecter (Hopkins,) who, in Silence of the Lambs, was brilliant in his own right. Perhaps this is because in Hannibal (tv) Lecter hasn't yet been revealed. He's permitted to wear the mask of the normal man, whereas in "Lambs" Lecter has been caught, exposed, and masks are no longer necessary.
    I don't necessarily buy that theory, but I also don't care. Mikkelsen makes Lecter his own, and in it thrives a disgusting, brilliant piece of new age horror that you really don't want to miss.
  7. Aug 6, 2015
    Gripping, gory, great. A TV feast. Psychologically intriguing, aesthetically stunning and mentally rocking. Hannibal is one of the best dramas on TV. Bryan Fuller delivers a fresh presentation of Hannibal Lecter in a world where horror is just a day to day occurrence. This show is so graphic that at times it's hard to believe it is on network television. People meet horrific ends whilstGripping, gory, great. A TV feast. Psychologically intriguing, aesthetically stunning and mentally rocking. Hannibal is one of the best dramas on TV. Bryan Fuller delivers a fresh presentation of Hannibal Lecter in a world where horror is just a day to day occurrence. This show is so graphic that at times it's hard to believe it is on network television. People meet horrific ends whilst the show's true main character Will Graham lives a similarly horrific life, tortured by his own mind and empathy. Characterisation is strong here, be it Hannibal the master manipulator or Graham the tortured profiler. Laurence Fishburne's Jack Crawford even gets to take centre stage as his marriage troubles are very emotionally explored. Hannibal's strongest suit though and it certainly has many, is it's intensity. Entertainment comes easily to thrillers especially one this layered, unique and exciting. It truly hurts me that some people will overlook Hannibal due to reasons such as the network it is on, it's timeslot or it's possible disturbing content. This is drama of the highest order. Incredible depth, cinematography, entertainment and most of all, food. Expand
  8. Jul 26, 2015
    Not a review. Where is the delete option?! Not a review. Where is the delete option?! Not a review. Where is the delete option?! Not a review. Where is the delete option?! Not a review. Where is the delete option?! Not a review. Where is the delete option?! Not a review. Where is the delete option?! Not a review. Where is the delete option?!
  9. Jul 14, 2015
    One of the best series I've ever watched. The cast, the acting, the suspense. Everything is so perfect and scary, with the crime scenes and the murders. Lecter's coldness while Will looses his mind delights me. Well, there isn't any bad to say about it.
  10. Jun 24, 2015
    Both the story, the way it is spun and the visuals (which simply have to be mentioned!) are fresh of the branch. I never thought anyone can outgrow Sir Anthony Hopkins as Hannibal, but Mads Mikkelsen did the impossible. The Devil is in the details!
  11. Jun 22, 2015
    The best show on television. The acting, especially from the two main characters, and their relationship is superb. Never did I ever think someone could play Dr. Lecter better than Anthony Hopkins, but Mads Mikkelson does. Hugh Dancy is also equally as great as the gifted profiler Will Graham. Simply put, you have to watch this show. Collapse
  12. Jun 21, 2015
    Stellar show with amazing beautiful cinematography, and Mads is incredible in his role. Hugh Dancy is solid. What I can't understand is how the hell the government allows this show on free TV? It's possibly the most violent material I've ever seen in any medium - except maybe Dead Alive or Human Centipede.
  13. Jun 7, 2015
    Hannibal is an extremely interesting character. Mads' portrayal of Thomas Harris' creation is intoxicating and draws the viewer into his story with equal parts from that which is said and seen on screen with that which is not. I appreciate the dialogue and think it well written. I am also glad to see the acting awards received by the cast...well deserved.
  14. Jun 4, 2015
    When I first heard about a hannibal tv show I thought it wasn't a good idea - but I was very wrong. Hannibal is such a beautiful show even though the subject of the tv shows seems rather dark, and the acting is also fantastic from the shows lead cast. My only problem with the first season was some of the cases the episode has only because there are so many shows that already do that kind of thing.
  15. May 10, 2015
    The cast is stellar, cinematography is superb. But still, the show often falls flat as a procedural one. The week's killer usually are too unrealistic or not interesting enough. I keep thinking that the show would have been much better if it didn't feel the need to show us the case of the week. Instead, I'd rather see them focusing on the character's development. Or have a big serialThe cast is stellar, cinematography is superb. But still, the show often falls flat as a procedural one. The week's killer usually are too unrealistic or not interesting enough. I keep thinking that the show would have been much better if it didn't feel the need to show us the case of the week. Instead, I'd rather see them focusing on the character's development. Or have a big serial killer per season. Expand
  16. May 4, 2015
    The best tv show of 2013-2014, totally worth watching. Don't listen to the bad reviews/critics, they prob. only watched the pilot. Give it time and chance, its a masterpiece. 10/10
  17. Apr 29, 2015
    Grotesquely gorgeous and an absolute joyride. Each episode features well-crafted dialogue and stunning cinematography, along with the jaw-dropping performances from Mads Mikkelsen, Hugh Dancy, Laurence Fishburne, and Caroline Dhavernas, amid a stellar supporting cast with equally amazing guest stars (including the luminous Gillian Anderson stealing the show).
    Mads and Hugh ground the show
    Mads and Hugh ground the show with their chemistry. Whether they are working against each other or (seemingly) with each other, the tension between Mads' Hannibal Lecter and Hugh's Will Graham draws everyone's attention with a single exchanged glance.
    Mads, in particular, delivers a performance that cuts with the subtlety of a scalpel and the elegance of a dancer. From his role as a loathed manipulator in Season 1, his Hannibal earns the audience's sympathy until everything comes to a crescendo in Season 2's finale. Mizumono is one of the finest hours of TV ever crafted; just like the characters, anyone who experiences Mizumono does not walk away unscathed and unchanged.
  18. Apr 28, 2015
    Easily one of the best shows I've seen and my current favorite. Disturbingly beautiful, cinematic quality, and a must-see for anyone who enjoys psychological thrillers. Hugh Dancy is utterly perfect in his role as the unstable profiler Will Graham and Mads Mikkelsen's performance as the iconic Hannibal Lecter not only rivals Anthony Hopkins', but also surpasses it in many ways (and IEasily one of the best shows I've seen and my current favorite. Disturbingly beautiful, cinematic quality, and a must-see for anyone who enjoys psychological thrillers. Hugh Dancy is utterly perfect in his role as the unstable profiler Will Graham and Mads Mikkelsen's performance as the iconic Hannibal Lecter not only rivals Anthony Hopkins', but also surpasses it in many ways (and I never, ever thought I would say that). Expand
  19. Mar 7, 2015
    Hannibal is a very good show it has great potential. It has great characters like mad Milkkelsen , Laurence Fishburne and Dana Scully. The best cast i have seen in any tv show. I have great hope that this tv show will rise and be as great as breaking bad,game of thrones etc
  20. Feb 7, 2015
    Intelligent people talking about death and murder with intelligent words. Sometimes boring, sometimes very deep and interesting. Only show that really tries to go deep while not losing its audience. I found it enjoyable just as I did the books it was based off of.
  21. Jan 5, 2015
    Very good tv series, Mads Mikleson really does an amazing interpretation on our beloved psychopath hannibal, he is very charming and puts a new spin on Hannibal which is hard to describe. Another key character is Will graham, a man with a troubled mind, who throughout most of the first season is unsure whether hannibal is friend or foe. The only reason this show didn't receive a 10, wasVery good tv series, Mads Mikleson really does an amazing interpretation on our beloved psychopath hannibal, he is very charming and puts a new spin on Hannibal which is hard to describe. Another key character is Will graham, a man with a troubled mind, who throughout most of the first season is unsure whether hannibal is friend or foe. The only reason this show didn't receive a 10, was down to the fact that season 1 gets a little bit repetitive, however this is rectified in season 2. Expand
  22. Dec 5, 2014
    This might seem like a typical police procedural tv series with a killer-of-the -week filler episodes at first glance, but this show from its pilot grows onto be much more, the portrayal of psychologically disturbed Will Graham and serial killer Hannibal is excellent and their relationship before Hannibal is discovered to be a serial killer is very interesting. Over the course of theThis might seem like a typical police procedural tv series with a killer-of-the -week filler episodes at first glance, but this show from its pilot grows onto be much more, the portrayal of psychologically disturbed Will Graham and serial killer Hannibal is excellent and their relationship before Hannibal is discovered to be a serial killer is very interesting. Over the course of the series you learn to empathise with both these characters, which is especially surprising when it comes to Hannibal because the show does not hesitate to show us how sadistic he can be. The killers of the week in this show don't compromise of cliches we see in police procedurals, everyone of them is unique, and the show makes sure that the psychology behind the murders they commit is properly and elaborately explained and is the main reason why their extremely sick and twisted nature is believable. This show also has steady momentum, there is no episode that deviates from the main plot significantly enough to call it a filler even with the individual cases presented every week, this also helps maintain suspense throughout the show with every episode significantly contributing to the development of the main characters and main plot. All in all Hannibal is probably the best show there is on television right now and is definitely worth watching. Expand
  23. Nov 24, 2014
    I thought this series was a thrilling mind experience....it is dark and creepy...the irony of the mentally ill detective dealing with the seriel killer...and how they dance back and forth with each other....the entire relationship between them is twisted........it bothers me that the characters continue to engage him with their guard down...they know he is a master manipulator....and myI thought this series was a thrilling mind experience....it is dark and creepy...the irony of the mentally ill detective dealing with the seriel killer...and how they dance back and forth with each other....the entire relationship between them is twisted........it bothers me that the characters continue to engage him with their guard down...they know he is a master manipulator....and my how they are influenced.....my other issue is that it is extremely bloody...Im shocked that the graphics are allowed on prime time. Expand
  24. Oct 12, 2014
    I have just started watching this show. The creation of this character by Thomas Harris has always fascinated me and Sir Anthony Hopkins had taken it to a new level. I thought Mads Mikkelsen had big shoes to fill and he's done justice to it, bringing the same charm and fear to Lecter. Hugh Dancy as Graham is great with the "at-war-with-himself" look he portrays often. The supporting castI have just started watching this show. The creation of this character by Thomas Harris has always fascinated me and Sir Anthony Hopkins had taken it to a new level. I thought Mads Mikkelsen had big shoes to fill and he's done justice to it, bringing the same charm and fear to Lecter. Hugh Dancy as Graham is great with the "at-war-with-himself" look he portrays often. The supporting cast does its job well and the filming and the soundtrack is an additional treat to savor. Expand
  25. Oct 9, 2014
    One of the better TV series of the current age, "Hannibal" offers a fresh and effective take on the classical Harris story. NBC has done an amazing job at bringing this universe to life, making it feel real in our day and age. Shot very well, with some creative freedom allowed, this movie upgrades the already introduced formula in the books, and executes everything almost perfectly. LeadOne of the better TV series of the current age, "Hannibal" offers a fresh and effective take on the classical Harris story. NBC has done an amazing job at bringing this universe to life, making it feel real in our day and age. Shot very well, with some creative freedom allowed, this movie upgrades the already introduced formula in the books, and executes everything almost perfectly. Lead actors do a superb job, acting-out a well-written script with a well kept level of quality. Overall, "Hannibal" leaves us craving for more, for all the good reasons. This is one of the best TV series I've ever seen, and I strongly recommend it to anyone with a strong heart. Expand
  26. Sep 24, 2014
    Hugh Dancy and Mads Mikkelsen have an amazin chemistry on screen. This is a MUST _SEE show :) Every episode is a complex art piece that must be appreciated.
  27. Aug 27, 2014
    This is a show you simply cannot miss. Expect great acting from almost every cast member, spectacular visuals, and memorable dialogue. That being said, be prepared for a painfully formulaic first half of the first season. It's not bad or boring; the episode structure is just very evident pretty soon. But if you can get past that, the second half shows more promise with an interesting plotThis is a show you simply cannot miss. Expect great acting from almost every cast member, spectacular visuals, and memorable dialogue. That being said, be prepared for a painfully formulaic first half of the first season. It's not bad or boring; the episode structure is just very evident pretty soon. But if you can get past that, the second half shows more promise with an interesting plot arc. Then get ready for some of the finest television around with the Season 2, because that's where it's all at! Expand
  28. Jul 30, 2014
    From the first show, I became addicted. Amazing story, great actors, suspense and most of all... psychiatry and the power of the mind. Unique, suspenseful, addicting, stunning show.
  29. Jul 27, 2014
    For many fans of the Hannibal Lechter films, the jury is still out on the new TV show, Hannibal. While the ratings have been passable, when you ask people what they think of the show, most will tell you they haven't seen it yet. If NBC would put more money into advertising and let it stream on Netflix, I have little doubt that this will be a top ten show.

People are hesitant to watch a

People are hesitant to watch a Lechter story without the legendary Anthony Hopkins, however once you get into the story, you will see that this isn't a problem. The series takes place in between the events of Hannibal Rising and Red Dragon, featuring Will Graham (Hugh Dancy) in his prime, as the FBI's top profiler. As seen in the opening scene of Red Dragon, Graham got help solving his cases from the world renowned psychologist, Dr. Hannibal Lechter (Mads Mikkelsen). The series focuses on this relationship, with Graham, who of course is in the dark over who Lechter really is. Lechter serves as a calming element in the vary chaotic and troubled life of Graham, and also plays the intermediary between Graham and his boss, Jack Crawford (Laurence Fishburne). This dynamic allows the FBI to solve some of the most heinous serial crimes they've been faced with.

For those of you still hesitant about watching this series, a few things to keep in mind. The same writers, producers, and directors who worked on the four films are behind this series. There are frequent references to all the films, and points where they actually clear up plot holes from the films. That alone should be enough to get people interested, but what really brings the story to the same level as the film series is Hugh Dancy as Will Graham.

Will Graham is a much deeper character than we came to know in Red Dragon. He is extremely complicated and as it turns out, not all that different from Lechter. Hugh Dancy, a veteran of a lot of bad movies, stars and is tremendous. Award shows are notorious for ignoring performances in series that feature gore and violence, but if anyone deserves an Emmy for best actor it his him. Dancy regularly gives a performance that is the best I've seen in a TV show since Breaking Bad. He really is that good.

Mads Mikkelsen is also terrific as Dr. Lechter. I wasn't sure how a French guy known for B-movies would do taking on the epic character of Hannibal Lechter, but he has shown all the class, humor, and madness of the legendary character. Finally, Laurence Fishburne rounds out the cast as the only big name involved in the project. He plays the boss, Jack Crawford, and is very important as the man who brought Graham and Lechter together. In my opinion, Fishburne is the perfect choice as he's cold, emotionless, and deeply focused on on thing, getting the job done.

You don't know most of the actors, but you know the characters. The cast of Hannibal is outstanding and will give you the chance to see your favorite characters in a whole other light. I love the Lechter films and was hesitant about watching this show myself. I didn't want to tarnish my view of the characters or the films, but this series is the missing companion piece that fills in the holes and gives you an all new appreciation for Lechter.
  30. Jul 10, 2014
    A large part of the population knows about the movie Hannibal, a brilliant psychiatrist and cannibalistic serial killer. He was first time introduced to us in 2001 with Anthony Hopkins as the main actor. Hannibal Lecter is actually a fictional character in a series of suspense novels by Thomas Harris. Hopkins won the award as the best movie villain (Hannibal Lecter) by the American FilmA large part of the population knows about the movie Hannibal, a brilliant psychiatrist and cannibalistic serial killer. He was first time introduced to us in 2001 with Anthony Hopkins as the main actor. Hannibal Lecter is actually a fictional character in a series of suspense novels by Thomas Harris. Hopkins won the award as the best movie villain (Hannibal Lecter) by the American Film Institute in June 2010th. Therefore, it was hard to go to watch a series, with such good reviews on movie, when I first heard about the series, I just shook my head … nahh not worth, another trash .. it was a BIG mistake. After I ran out of other series, i began to watch it and I couldn't stop until the end of the season.

Firstly, I'm not a fan of horror and puzzles, mostly because I know the outcome and the actions are predictable. But just because of that i remained intrigued, the cast is excellent. Hannibal character is played by Danish actor Mads Mikkelsen and presents great acting, his face was emotionless he was predator, a joker, a puppeteer, morbid killer who is always one step ahead of everyone. Actually played a quiet but much more lethal than the figure presented by Hopkins. The only person who can keep track of him is Will Graham (Hugh Dancy), he is highly intelligent but often Conflicted man, tormented by his own imagination and has yet to live it each day for the greater good. FBI Inspector Jack Crawford (Laurence Fishburne) calls Graham to be criminal profiler for his ability to empathize with serial killers and there begins a game of cat and mouse.
    The second season continues after Graham went to jail and awaiting trial for murders. For those who have not watched the first season I'll just briefly say that the with various intrigues Will was declared for Hannibal and he is awaiting trial. In total mess of his mind, hi is trying to get to the truth of how he ended up in this place. As series goes on a part of his memories are returning, and he realizes that the sessions, which he had with Hannibal, where used to abuse his mind. The first time we come to the controversial part when Will tries to convince a brutal serial killer to kill Hannibal, killer fails and end up killed, and second time when he presents himself as killer to Hannibal.

The second season, from my impression, is no worse than the first one, moreover, it complements and adds even more twists, strange cases, with more transparency in the relationship between Will and Lectora. Will Graham catch Lectora or will he falter over this monster, remains to be seen in the remaining three episodes that follow.

1. Reviewed by: Chuck Bowen
    Jun 18, 2013
    Hannibal is richer and more ambiguous than prior Harris adaptations; it's an exploration of social decay that's rife with literal and figurative cancers eating everyone alive from the ground up.
  2. Reviewed by: Tim Goodman
    Apr 5, 2013
    By the end of the first hour, it has managed to make Dancy, Fishburne and Mikkelsen a formidable trio of characters, and each actor responds in kind with strong, engaging performances. Another sign of a good series is the fact that beyond the main three, the supporting cast is filled with solid actors and--more important--strong, vivid characters.
  3. Reviewed by: Rick Porter
    Apr 4, 2013
    It's anchored by several great performances, and it's among the more distinctive and gorgeously filmed shows on the air right now.... What did turn me off a bit in the first couple episodes of Hannibal was the victims were all young women.