Hannibal : Season 1

• Series Premiere Date: Apr 4, 2013
Season #: 1, 2, 3
8.6

1. Jun 20, 2013
    Mikkelsen and Dancy work wonders together as Hannibal and Grant and their supporting cast is solid as well. I love the mind games that Hannibal has played with Grant through out the season and each episode is as sick and twisted (in a good way) as the next. I absolutely can not wait until season 2.
  2. Jun 24, 2014
    God I love this show and this show gets away so much being on NBC. Bryan Fuller does everything right with this disturbing and twisted show. Everything is so refined and amazing.
  3. Jun 21, 2015
    Stellar show with amazing beautiful cinematography, and Mads is incredible in his role. Hugh Dancy is solid. What I can't understand is how the hell the government allows this show on free TV? It's possibly the most violent material I've ever seen in any medium - except maybe Dead Alive or Human Centipede.
  4. Jul 27, 2014
    For many fans of the Hannibal Lechter films, the jury is still out on the new TV show, Hannibal. While the ratings have been passable, when you ask people what they think of the show, most will tell you they haven't seen it yet. If NBC would put more money into advertising and let it stream on Netflix, I have little doubt that this will be a top ten show.

People are hesitant to watch a

People are hesitant to watch a Lechter story without the legendary Anthony Hopkins, however once you get into the story, you will see that this isn't a problem. The series takes place in between the events of Hannibal Rising and Red Dragon, featuring Will Graham (Hugh Dancy) in his prime, as the FBI's top profiler. As seen in the opening scene of Red Dragon, Graham got help solving his cases from the world renowned psychologist, Dr. Hannibal Lechter (Mads Mikkelsen). The series focuses on this relationship, with Graham, who of course is in the dark over who Lechter really is. Lechter serves as a calming element in the vary chaotic and troubled life of Graham, and also plays the intermediary between Graham and his boss, Jack Crawford (Laurence Fishburne). This dynamic allows the FBI to solve some of the most heinous serial crimes they've been faced with.

For those of you still hesitant about watching this series, a few things to keep in mind. The same writers, producers, and directors who worked on the four films are behind this series. There are frequent references to all the films, and points where they actually clear up plot holes from the films. That alone should be enough to get people interested, but what really brings the story to the same level as the film series is Hugh Dancy as Will Graham.

Will Graham is a much deeper character than we came to know in Red Dragon. He is extremely complicated and as it turns out, not all that different from Lechter. Hugh Dancy, a veteran of a lot of bad movies, stars and is tremendous. Award shows are notorious for ignoring performances in series that feature gore and violence, but if anyone deserves an Emmy for best actor it his him. Dancy regularly gives a performance that is the best I've seen in a TV show since Breaking Bad. He really is that good.

Mads Mikkelsen is also terrific as Dr. Lechter. I wasn't sure how a French guy known for B-movies would do taking on the epic character of Hannibal Lechter, but he has shown all the class, humor, and madness of the legendary character. Finally, Laurence Fishburne rounds out the cast as the only big name involved in the project. He plays the boss, Jack Crawford, and is very important as the man who brought Graham and Lechter together. In my opinion, Fishburne is the perfect choice as he's cold, emotionless, and deeply focused on on thing, getting the job done.

You don't know most of the actors, but you know the characters. The cast of Hannibal is outstanding and will give you the chance to see your favorite characters in a whole other light. I love the Lechter films and was hesitant about watching this show myself. I didn't want to tarnish my view of the characters or the films, but this series is the missing companion piece that fills in the holes and gives you an all new appreciation for Lechter.
  5. May 3, 2013
    UPDATE: Started little slow, but now with episode 7, things are getting "real". One of the few shows, that makes me want to watch every week really bad!!! The actors are getting better with every episode (so they characters develop nicely). Wonderful!…
  6. Apr 27, 2013
    I love a good horror movie as well as the next but this is just not good gru. This show lacks any sense of humor or empathy. The writing is putrid and the graphics are disturbing without any redemption. Having watched the third episode I cancelled my season pass and moved on. When they leave a serial killer's daughter alone in her house, even though, she may have been involved in theI love a good horror movie as well as the next but this is just not good gru. This show lacks any sense of humor or empathy. The writing is putrid and the graphics are disturbing without any redemption. Having watched the third episode I cancelled my season pass and moved on. When they leave a serial killer's daughter alone in her house, even though, she may have been involved in the murders, I threw up my hands. A suspect left alone to kill another suspect and then gets recruited by Hannibal who has time to hide the body while a crap load of cops are outside...oh yeah somehow he gets a bump on the head.....dreadful dreck! The dialogue and acting is god-awful. Oh, and the constant "eerie" soundtrack to set the mood is mind-numbing. This show is NBC's version of "Monk" meets "Criminal Minds"...feh! Expand
  7. Jul 26, 2015
    Not a review. Where is the delete option?! Not a review. Where is the delete option?! Not a review. Where is the delete option?! Not a review. Where is the delete option?! Not a review. Where is the delete option?! Not a review. Where is the delete option?! Not a review. Where is the delete option?! Not a review. Where is the delete option?!
  8. Apr 6, 2013
    Hands down, the best new series of this year so far! Hannibal has that certain element that makes me want to keep watching it. The writing is brilliant, strong and compelling when handled by the characters. I was worried how Mads Mikkelsen would handle his character but now I must say that I'm completely satisfied because justice has been done. Another thing, maybe more important is HughHands down, the best new series of this year so far! Hannibal has that certain element that makes me want to keep watching it. The writing is brilliant, strong and compelling when handled by the characters. I was worried how Mads Mikkelsen would handle his character but now I must say that I'm completely satisfied because justice has been done. Another thing, maybe more important is Hugh Dancy and his character Will Graham. Dancy has carried it out extremely well, gives you that feeling of loneliness and anxiety he goes through. He's done quite a great job in the pilot episode and he was better than Mikkelsen. The entire cast is compelling and Bryan Fuller has made the right choice by selecting them. Hats off to Fuller for developing this series and many thanks to NBC for ordering a complete season. I can easily say that Hannibal is better and stronger than Fox's The Following and A&E's Bates Motel and I have only watched Hannibal's first episode yet. Expand
  9. Mar 14, 2014
    Hannibal, unlike other shows on television, isn't afraid to be different from everything else on free-to-air networks. It is impeccably executed, featuring some of the best, if not the best, cinematography on television - along with fantastic writing and a chilling and eerie soundtrack by Brian Reitzell. The series is also an incredibly moody one, with plenty of disturbing and grotesqueHannibal, unlike other shows on television, isn't afraid to be different from everything else on free-to-air networks. It is impeccably executed, featuring some of the best, if not the best, cinematography on television - along with fantastic writing and a chilling and eerie soundtrack by Brian Reitzell. The series is also an incredibly moody one, with plenty of disturbing and grotesque imagery that many television series nowadays try to avoid. The characters are fantastically written and they feel realistic - the acting also is brilliant, especially from the lead cast members, Hugh Dancy and Mads Mikkelsen, who convey realism and humanity to their characters - also the chemistry between them is fantastic. Season 1 overall is pure brilliance; an underrated gem that deserves more recognition and I certainly hope the series continues for a long time. Expand
  10. Dec 24, 2015
    Great tv show:
    The main cast is perfect,
    Every character add something to the plot, The direction is completely different to every show out there, The murder scenes are explicit and give the show an "extra" that most shows are too afraid to even think. The problem with this show is that sometimes it's too complex for his own good and there are a couple of story details that don't
    Great tv show:
    The main cast is perfect,
    Every character add something to the plot,
    The direction is completely different to every show out there,

The problem with this show is that sometimes it's too complex for his own good and there are a couple of story details that don't add up and end up hurting the show because how intelligently everything else is presented.

One of my favourites show without a doubt.
  11. Apr 16, 2014
    The BEST series i've seen so far! Amazingly well written and directed, acting is magnificent, graphics and effects are WOWW!! What's best is the art of killing involved, aws each episode is presented with a delicate murder served with a side of some fine body parts. You'll fall in love with it, guaranteed.
  12. Dec 26, 2015
    A strong showing, all round, by everyone. The acting and script writing is very good with a few plot holes here and there. Hannibal is one of the most menacing characters I have seen in a TV show, and his actions and interactions made me want to see what will happen next. Like in the original movie, there are times when you actually root for Hannibal because in many ways he is a lesserA strong showing, all round, by everyone. The acting and script writing is very good with a few plot holes here and there. Hannibal is one of the most menacing characters I have seen in a TV show, and his actions and interactions made me want to see what will happen next. Like in the original movie, there are times when you actually root for Hannibal because in many ways he is a lesser evil than the people he eats, but at other times you can only grimace at his actions. The two bad things about this show are that the cops tend to be really dumb, and it gets tiring to see Hannibal get extremely lucky all the time. In many ways, this show reminds me of Dexter, but Dexter added a lot of dark humor while this show tends to stay straight forward. Still, one of my favorite shows on TV and I was very sad when they announced its cancellation. Hopefully someone will pick it up and continue. Expand
  13. Apr 30, 2013
    The pilot episode doesn't jump at you straight away, but give it a chance. By the third episode the writing and great acting hooks you and you can't stop watching.
  14. Aug 6, 2015
    Gripping, gory, great. A TV feast. Psychologically intriguing, aesthetically stunning and mentally rocking. Hannibal is one of the best dramas on TV. Bryan Fuller delivers a fresh presentation of Hannibal Lecter in a world where horror is just a day to day occurrence. This show is so graphic that at times it's hard to believe it is on network television. People meet horrific ends whilstGripping, gory, great. A TV feast. Psychologically intriguing, aesthetically stunning and mentally rocking. Hannibal is one of the best dramas on TV. Bryan Fuller delivers a fresh presentation of Hannibal Lecter in a world where horror is just a day to day occurrence. This show is so graphic that at times it's hard to believe it is on network television. People meet horrific ends whilst the show's true main character Will Graham lives a similarly horrific life, tortured by his own mind and empathy. Characterisation is strong here, be it Hannibal the master manipulator or Graham the tortured profiler. Laurence Fishburne's Jack Crawford even gets to take centre stage as his marriage troubles are very emotionally explored. Hannibal's strongest suit though and it certainly has many, is it's intensity. Entertainment comes easily to thrillers especially one this layered, unique and exciting. It truly hurts me that some people will overlook Hannibal due to reasons such as the network it is on, it's timeslot or it's possible disturbing content. This is drama of the highest order. Incredible depth, cinematography, entertainment and most of all, food. Expand
  15. Sep 6, 2013
    No show I can think of has gone quite so far to not just romanticize serial killing, but to attempt to raise it to the level of an art form. This Hannibal barely resembles his namesake from the movie, but he is just as interesting.
  16. Jun 2, 2013
    solid 7.5, rounded up.

solid 7.5, rounded up.

pretty far from perfect, but different and very stylised. it is both easy to follow and a piece obsessed with art and aspiring to be it. this show is at once accessible and also very interesting. it isnt hannibal the early years, as its concerned less with hannibal that with its protagonist, and is of a different style and tone than the films. it does work, and it is well worth watching. its production values are top notch and its an eerily curious piece. you will need to put your suspension of disbelief in a fridge, nestled amongst some choice cuts of carrion though.
  17. Jul 14, 2015
    One of the best series I've ever watched. The cast, the acting, the suspense. Everything is so perfect and scary, with the crime scenes and the murders. Lecter's coldness while Will looses his mind delights me. Well, there isn't any bad to say about it.
  18. Sep 1, 2013
    Incredible first season show. An unexpected surprise by all accounts. The show is gorgeous, and has amazing visuals. The acting is very strong, and the plot is thick with intrigue and suspense. This is an extremely violent and gory show,and some of the images are so explicit i'm shocked it's able to be shown on Network TV. This is a great show, and it hooks you immediately. The characterIncredible first season show. An unexpected surprise by all accounts. The show is gorgeous, and has amazing visuals. The acting is very strong, and the plot is thick with intrigue and suspense. This is an extremely violent and gory show,and some of the images are so explicit i'm shocked it's able to be shown on Network TV. This is a great show, and it hooks you immediately. The character of Hannibal Lector is amazing as well. If you enjoy dark dramas with a hint of horror this is it. My rating: 8.0/10 Expand
  19. Apr 26, 2013
    I would have rated this show a 7 after the first two episodes but it has grown just a bit creepier now that the characters are more developed. There are some 'horror' type scenes but it is the stuff that you don't see, that is implied, that really sells it. Very good show, I'd say unique as well.
  20. Jan 16, 2014
    Although it is understandable that some people may be thrown off by the violence in this series, it is very easy to miss the great dialogue (emotionally engaging and intellectually stimulating) and the beautiful artwork. This is a much see TV series. My only objection is that the lead, Huge Dancy, tends to overplay his role a little. Mikkelsen is outstanding.
  21. Apr 4, 2013
    And I thought The Following was graphic! Man the stuff they can get away with now days on television is incredible. No complaints from this guy. Beautifully brutal. Hugh Dancy gives a great performance in the pilot. Superb acting all around.
  22. May 7, 2013
    I have to confess I tuned into this show only for Mads Mikkelsen. I saw the first episode and felt it was okay but I am slowly getting into it especially with the end of episode 6. Well, that's when thing started getting really interesting. My Mads is straight up sick in the head and I'm loving it truly loving it. The madness, the graphic nature of the crimes, the deception and subterfugeI have to confess I tuned into this show only for Mads Mikkelsen. I saw the first episode and felt it was okay but I am slowly getting into it especially with the end of episode 6. Well, that's when thing started getting really interesting. My Mads is straight up sick in the head and I'm loving it truly loving it. The madness, the graphic nature of the crimes, the deception and subterfuge with Hannibal is just brilliant. I am really excited to see where this show takes us because I will be front and center--wide eyed and all wanting and anticipating the next sick and twisted turn. Oh yeah the other characters are good too especially the profiler (Hugh Dancy). He brings such a raw and graphic intensity especially when he explores the mind of each killer. He is definitely an interesting and most vulnerable of all the characters because of his own frailty/fragility. Expand
  23. Jan 11, 2016
    One of the mot beautifully filmed blood baths on television. Every episode is gory, intense and packed with amazing writing. The cinematography makes Hannibal one of the most stunning shows on television.
  24. Sep 6, 2013
    This shows lives up to the first two films and is superior to the film of the same name. Mads Mikkelsen plays a very believable Hannibal. The only way you will not like it is if you are so tied to Anthony Hopkins that you can not see past that. Hugh Dancy is good as the police officer drafted by the FBI. The only problem with this shows is the muddled writing. Part of this was becauseThis shows lives up to the first two films and is superior to the film of the same name. Mads Mikkelsen plays a very believable Hannibal. The only way you will not like it is if you are so tied to Anthony Hopkins that you can not see past that. Hugh Dancy is good as the police officer drafted by the FBI. The only problem with this shows is the muddled writing. Part of this was because the main FBI officer (Dancy) has mental issues, but it goes beyond that and this needs to be worked on before the second season. I would recommend more crisp writing somewhat like a meal that Hannibal prepares. Expand
  25. Jun 20, 2013
    Amazing new show. The acting is superb all around, especially Mads Mikkelsen in the titular role. This is honestly one of the creepiest shows I have ever seen. It's like some of the best episodes of the X-Files week after week, but with such a refined and modern visual style that it surpasses nearly everything else on television in terms of cinematography and art direction. I'd say it'sAmazing new show. The acting is superb all around, especially Mads Mikkelsen in the titular role. This is honestly one of the creepiest shows I have ever seen. It's like some of the best episodes of the X-Files week after week, but with such a refined and modern visual style that it surpasses nearly everything else on television in terms of cinematography and art direction. I'd say it's probably the best drama on network television, and comparable to the best shows on basic and premium cable. Expand
  26. Jul 26, 2013
    Brilliantly shot, creepy, refined, dark, good ending to season one. A little bit out there, and slightly hard to follow, high hopes for seasons going forward.
  27. May 24, 2013
    First off, this television program is marginally better than the films which preceded it. Hannibal (2001), Red Dragon (2002) and the god-awful Hannibal Rising (2006) don't come close to this series when it comes to intelligence, charisma and charm. This series follows Will Graham (played masterfully by Hugh Dancy here) as he is brought back into the FBI for a series of cases by JackFirst off, this television program is marginally better than the films which preceded it. Hannibal (2001), Red Dragon (2002) and the god-awful Hannibal Rising (2006) don't come close to this series when it comes to intelligence, charisma and charm. This series follows Will Graham (played masterfully by Hugh Dancy here) as he is brought back into the FBI for a series of cases by Jack Crawford (Laurence Fishburne). Dr. Hannibal Lecter (Mads Mikkelsen) assists him in these cases and also acts as his unofficial psychiatrist.
    Laurence Fishburne plays his part brilliantly, and is the best Crawford we have seen thus far. Mads Mikkelsen provides an astonishing performance as the charming and sophisticated cannibalistic serial killer Hannibal Lecter. However, the stand-out performance of the lot is that of Hugh Dancy as Will Graham. Dancy seems to be playing to his strengths here, and fulfills the role perfectly, turning the character into his own. While the Graham in previous incarnations was simply haunted by his past in the FBI, Dancy turns the character into a sort of autistic savant.
    Dancy's character is sort of fun to watch. Sleepwalking, channeling his nightmares and feelings about the criminals he has to deal with through the ownership of an absurd number of dogs, and his diminishing mental state as the show progresses. His relationship with Lecter, and that with Abigail Hobbs, the daughter of serial killer Garret Jacob Hobbs, who Graham killed, make the character come to life. Most of the habits of Dancy's character come straight from the writings of Thomas Harris, such as his love of dogs, but otherwise it is all Dancy's intuition and his transforming of the character into his own creation.
    Let's not limit this to Dancy's performance, however. All of them were astonishing, from Laurence Fishburne's portrayal of Jack Crawford, to Mads Mikkelsen's performance as Hannibal Lecter. This has to be one of the best Lecter performances, only behind that of Anthony Hopkins in Silence of the Lambs. Mikkelsen lends himself perfectly to the role, and he doesn't disappoint. The characters, and indeed the actors, all fulfill their roles perfectly, and the casting is magnificent.
    Some, mainly those who don't enjoy horror or splatter films, will probably be put off by this film and it's level of horrific violence. You will see people impaled on antlers, with the flesh cut from their backs and spread out, and having their limbs removed while they are alive. In the event that you feel put off by this sort of thing, you should probably abandon the show immediately. However, all shows are aimed at a certain kind of audience. I don't like True Blood because of the fact that it plays out more like a soap opera than an actual TV show, but some people love it for the same reasons. I love Game of Thrones, but some would be put off by it's graphic scenes of sex and violence. Same here.
    All in all, this show is magnificent. All of the acting is done brilliantly and to it's full effect, and it's as enjoyable as ever. Though it cannot appeal to everyone, nothing can, and it thrives on what it does do, so I do believe this show should continue for another season. I hope the ratings agree with me.
  28. Nov 14, 2013
    The show is in general is a intense though for some slow moving uncensored look at the mind of a narcissistic brilliant sociopath. There is also an atmosphere of viscous madness which the show I think really does well at expressing subtly from episode to episode that is very unique and unseen in most television.

The actors range in their ability but the main cast is really delivering

The actors range in their ability but the main cast is really delivering and very intense in their performances. The performances are also unique in their interpretations of the characters so the show really has its own take on Hannibal though many core elements remain the same.

The show is also difficult to predict given its design. It is not based on Hannibal alone, but a handful of characters orbiting each other including Hannibal working in the realm of serial killer crime and psychology. I like this aspect of the show since I have no idea where it is going given it is not driven completely by Hannibals choices alone.
  29. May 8, 2014
    Hannibal is trivial. The makers are trying desperately to pin serial murder aesthetically. Weak attempt. The character of Hannibal brings it only to the charm of a drunken head waiter from the provincial station restaurant. The psychological problems that are representing the most unbearable in the long term. The cadaveric however, are beautifully decorated, if one likes such images. ButHannibal is trivial. The makers are trying desperately to pin serial murder aesthetically. Weak attempt. The character of Hannibal brings it only to the charm of a drunken head waiter from the provincial station restaurant. The psychological problems that are representing the most unbearable in the long term. The cadaveric however, are beautifully decorated, if one likes such images. But that alone does not a good series. Expand
  30. Apr 19, 2013
    Most certainly the best show this year. Extremely well thought out, great performances, what else do you need? Watch out for this one it's bound to attract a wider audience very quickly.

1. Reviewed by: Chuck Bowen
    Jun 18, 2013
    Hannibal is richer and more ambiguous than prior Harris adaptations; it's an exploration of social decay that's rife with literal and figurative cancers eating everyone alive from the ground up.
  2. Reviewed by: Tim Goodman
    Apr 5, 2013
    By the end of the first hour, it has managed to make Dancy, Fishburne and Mikkelsen a formidable trio of characters, and each actor responds in kind with strong, engaging performances. Another sign of a good series is the fact that beyond the main three, the supporting cast is filled with solid actors and--more important--strong, vivid characters.
  3. Reviewed by: Rick Porter
    Apr 4, 2013
    It's anchored by several great performances, and it's among the more distinctive and gorgeously filmed shows on the air right now.... What did turn me off a bit in the first couple episodes of Hannibal was the victims were all young women.