• Network: NBC
  • Series Premiere Date: Apr 4, 2013
Season #: 1, 2, 3
8.6

1. May 5, 2014
    Surprising to see such a graphic show on NBC. The acting is brilliant, and the directing and writing are excellent. I can't imagine a better Lecter than Mikkelsen. One of my favorite TV shows.
  2. Apr 19, 2013
    Most certainly the best show this year. Extremely well thought out, great performances, what else do you need? Watch out for this one it's bound to attract a wider audience very quickly.
  3. May 23, 2013
    I love this show...Mads Mikkelsen and Hugh Dancy awesome. Laurence Fishburn also great.
    @Lar I am over 45 and a woman and love the darkness of this show. I hope that this show is renewed..so different Cant wait to see the next episode a week is a long time to wait.This show is not for the faint hearted. Also loved Dexter.
    SO bored with medical shows that go on and on....cannot
    SO bored with medical shows that go on and on....cannot understand how they last for so long.
  4. Aug 15, 2013
    Best new show on television in my eyes. A+ acting almost all the way through the cast, especially Hannibal and Graham. If you have a brain in your head that you like to use for thinking, give this show a shot and watch at least 8 episodes, that's when it really hits it's stride.
  5. Apr 8, 2013
    This show has gotten off to a great start. Well written story and is captivating to you as to where you can't wait for more. Hugh Dancy as Will Graham is very good. He plays the mentally tormented detective quite well. Mads Mikkelsen does a good job playing Hannibal Lector. While maybe not quite as good as Anthony
    Hopkins, he does a fine job. First episode is very promising and this
    Hopkins, he does a fine job. First episode is very promising and this series is worth checking out.
  6. Jul 27, 2014
    For many fans of the Hannibal Lechter films, the jury is still out on the new TV show, Hannibal. While the ratings have been passable, when you ask people what they think of the show, most will tell you they haven't seen it yet. If NBC would put more money into advertising and let it stream on Netflix, I have little doubt that this will be a top ten show.

People are hesitant to watch a

People are hesitant to watch a Lechter story without the legendary Anthony Hopkins, however once you get into the story, you will see that this isn't a problem. The series takes place in between the events of Hannibal Rising and Red Dragon, featuring Will Graham (Hugh Dancy) in his prime, as the FBI's top profiler. As seen in the opening scene of Red Dragon, Graham got help solving his cases from the world renowned psychologist, Dr. Hannibal Lechter (Mads Mikkelsen). The series focuses on this relationship, with Graham, who of course is in the dark over who Lechter really is. Lechter serves as a calming element in the vary chaotic and troubled life of Graham, and also plays the intermediary between Graham and his boss, Jack Crawford (Laurence Fishburne). This dynamic allows the FBI to solve some of the most heinous serial crimes they've been faced with.

For those of you still hesitant about watching this series, a few things to keep in mind. The same writers, producers, and directors who worked on the four films are behind this series. There are frequent references to all the films, and points where they actually clear up plot holes from the films. That alone should be enough to get people interested, but what really brings the story to the same level as the film series is Hugh Dancy as Will Graham.

Will Graham is a much deeper character than we came to know in Red Dragon. He is extremely complicated and as it turns out, not all that different from Lechter. Hugh Dancy, a veteran of a lot of bad movies, stars and is tremendous. Award shows are notorious for ignoring performances in series that feature gore and violence, but if anyone deserves an Emmy for best actor it his him. Dancy regularly gives a performance that is the best I've seen in a TV show since Breaking Bad. He really is that good.

Mads Mikkelsen is also terrific as Dr. Lechter. I wasn't sure how a French guy known for B-movies would do taking on the epic character of Hannibal Lechter, but he has shown all the class, humor, and madness of the legendary character. Finally, Laurence Fishburne rounds out the cast as the only big name involved in the project. He plays the boss, Jack Crawford, and is very important as the man who brought Graham and Lechter together. In my opinion, Fishburne is the perfect choice as he's cold, emotionless, and deeply focused on on thing, getting the job done.

You don't know most of the actors, but you know the characters. The cast of Hannibal is outstanding and will give you the chance to see your favorite characters in a whole other light. I love the Lechter films and was hesitant about watching this show myself. I didn't want to tarnish my view of the characters or the films, but this series is the missing companion piece that fills in the holes and gives you an all new appreciation for Lechter.
  7. Jun 20, 2013
    Mikkelsen and Dancy work wonders together as Hannibal and Grant and their supporting cast is solid as well. I love the mind games that Hannibal has played with Grant through out the season and each episode is as sick and twisted (in a good way) as the next. I absolutely can not wait until season 2.
  8. Apr 6, 2013
    Hands down, the best new series of this year so far! Hannibal has that certain element that makes me want to keep watching it. The writing is brilliant, strong and compelling when handled by the characters. I was worried how Mads Mikkelsen would handle his character but now I must say that I'm completely satisfied because justice has been done. Another thing, maybe more important is HughHands down, the best new series of this year so far! Hannibal has that certain element that makes me want to keep watching it. The writing is brilliant, strong and compelling when handled by the characters. I was worried how Mads Mikkelsen would handle his character but now I must say that I'm completely satisfied because justice has been done. Another thing, maybe more important is Hugh Dancy and his character Will Graham. Dancy has carried it out extremely well, gives you that feeling of loneliness and anxiety he goes through. He's done quite a great job in the pilot episode and he was better than Mikkelsen. The entire cast is compelling and Bryan Fuller has made the right choice by selecting them. Hats off to Fuller for developing this series and many thanks to NBC for ordering a complete season. I can easily say that Hannibal is better and stronger than Fox's The Following and A&E's Bates Motel and I have only watched Hannibal's first episode yet. Expand
  9. Mar 14, 2014
    The first season of Hannibal is a lot like a roller coaster ride, and I don't mean that in the usual sense of it being a thrill ride (although the show is certainly that), but rather in the way it plays out. There is a bit of a slow, measured beginning, one where you are carried to a place where you can look ahead of you and see what lies in store before the plunge. We the audience canThe first season of Hannibal is a lot like a roller coaster ride, and I don't mean that in the usual sense of it being a thrill ride (although the show is certainly that), but rather in the way it plays out. There is a bit of a slow, measured beginning, one where you are carried to a place where you can look ahead of you and see what lies in store before the plunge. We the audience can tell early on where this season is taking us as it stares us in the face for the first few episodes. And then the coaster drops. As Hannibal takes us on this spectacular ride we find ourselves thrilled and oftentimes a bit sickened, still much like a roller coaster, by the images and violent murder depictions that hit us in each episode. They are spectacularly shot and horrifying to behold, though thankfully the sense of realism is extremely heightened as not to utterly repulse us. These aren't traditional serial killers we are watching the characters go after, they are artists expressing themselves through horrifying means, and Hannibal Lecter and Will Graham are like the critic and the appraiser. Hannibal is also an artist himself, both in his butchery of man and in the way he serves up their flesh to guests and to himself. Yes, even when he eats alone there is a performance in his consumption of his victims.
    Season 1 of Hannibal is the best first season of a show I have seen since the first season of Lost (I would love to say Breaking Bad, but its first season was, although awesome, very short). The great thing going for Hannibal, a thing which perhaps a show like Lost could've benefitted from, is that there is a clear plan in place for the characters and what is to come for them. It also benefits from outstanding performances from all of its players, particularly Hugh Dancy as Will Graham and Mads Mikkelsen as Hannibal Lecter, with the latter bringing us an interpretation that rivals the great Sir Anthony Hopkins's legendary performance. Yes, it's that good.
    Hannibal is a wonderful ride from the first episode to the last of season 1 and it only promises to get even better. It is admittedly not for the squeamish, but if you can handle the show's violence then you are in for a real treat. Hannibal is truly outstanding television.
  10. May 9, 2013
    Easily one of the best shows on TV right now and the best new series in a while. It's wonderfully acted with brilliant writing and interesting characters. The only gripe I have with the show is Hannibal can be a bit hard to hear at times. But it's so little it's easily overlooked.
  11. Jun 20, 2013
    Amazing new show. The acting is superb all around, especially Mads Mikkelsen in the titular role. This is honestly one of the creepiest shows I have ever seen. It's like some of the best episodes of the X-Files week after week, but with such a refined and modern visual style that it surpasses nearly everything else on television in terms of cinematography and art direction. I'd say it'sAmazing new show. The acting is superb all around, especially Mads Mikkelsen in the titular role. This is honestly one of the creepiest shows I have ever seen. It's like some of the best episodes of the X-Files week after week, but with such a refined and modern visual style that it surpasses nearly everything else on television in terms of cinematography and art direction. I'd say it's probably the best drama on network television, and comparable to the best shows on basic and premium cable. Expand
  12. Apr 13, 2013
    Hands down to Hugh Dancy (playing Will Graham) and Mads Mikkelsen (Dr. Hannibal Lecter) for they astonishing and cunning performances, tailored perfectly for such a brilliant show. Already addicted to this series (after watching the 1st episode), and can't wait for the next! Do not watch if you have a weak stomach, or heart-attack risk as this series is packed with suspense, blood andHands down to Hugh Dancy (playing Will Graham) and Mads Mikkelsen (Dr. Hannibal Lecter) for they astonishing and cunning performances, tailored perfectly for such a brilliant show. Already addicted to this series (after watching the 1st episode), and can't wait for the next! Do not watch if you have a weak stomach, or heart-attack risk as this series is packed with suspense, blood and other disturbing things. But If you like a good thriller, intriguing plot, amazing actors and a genial reshaping of the story of Dr. Lecter, this is for you. Expand
  13. Iar
    Apr 4, 2013
    The show is great, but unbearable for some persons. It's a mix of very hard horror and thriller. Those, who can't stand this splatter (mostly these persons are 45+ aged women should bypass this show.
  14. Jun 24, 2014
    God I love this show and this show gets away so much being on NBC. Bryan Fuller does everything right with this disturbing and twisted show. Everything is so refined and amazing.
  15. Apr 5, 2013
    Excellent performance by ensemble cast, with a baroque styling and wonderfully atmospheric scenery.
    Mads Mikkelsen was a particular favourite. His Hannibal oozed subtlety, elegance and genius. His performance emphasises the phrase, "Still waters run deep". Though the violence is apparent, it is never an uneccesary feature and simply serves to provide the show with a sense of realism and validity.
    Looking forward to the second episode!
  16. Apr 16, 2013
    It's a great show, but it's not for everyone just because of the gore. However, a little blood doesn't make it bad. Hannibal is the greatest new show of the year and it combines likeable characters into a brutal world of horror and mystery.
  17. Feb 6, 2014
    Every single episode of this series is just excellent. The whole mood and balance of thrill and gore is superior and the visual style of the series is spot on. Mads Mikkelsen fits the role of Hannibal better than I ever could have expected. Even if you are a fan of Hopkins, you have to give a slightly different kind of Hannibal a chance since Mikkelsen does such a great job here that IEvery single episode of this series is just excellent. The whole mood and balance of thrill and gore is superior and the visual style of the series is spot on. Mads Mikkelsen fits the role of Hannibal better than I ever could have expected. Even if you are a fan of Hopkins, you have to give a slightly different kind of Hannibal a chance since Mikkelsen does such a great job here that I might even prefer him over Anthony.. The overall feel and progression of this season is well balanced I just cannot wait for season 2. Highly recommend this series, its one of the best I have seen in years. Expand
  18. May 1, 2013
    Absolutely the best show on network television right now. Hannibal has no right to be as good as it is; I fully expected the show to be completely terrible and even avoided watching the first episode until a few days after it aired (on Hulu). When I finally did watch it, I was entranced; somehow the showrunner managed to avoid every possible pitfall of making a TV show based on an iconicAbsolutely the best show on network television right now. Hannibal has no right to be as good as it is; I fully expected the show to be completely terrible and even avoided watching the first episode until a few days after it aired (on Hulu). When I finally did watch it, I was entranced; somehow the showrunner managed to avoid every possible pitfall of making a TV show based on an iconic film and literary character.

I cannot recommend this show highly enough.

I should point out that I have also watched every episode of the dramatically inferior The Following (which has been picked up for a second season) and cannot view it as anything other than sad attempt to create what Hannibal starts off possessing. If this show does not get picked up for a second season, I am done with network TV. I hope and pray that Hannibal will be picked up by some other network if NBC decides to kill it.
  19. May 5, 2013
    This show is not for the squeamish, that's for sure. However, I think this is easily the best new show this year, and is in my top three for favorite shows ever. The writing is really good, the characters are super loveable (in a sometimes strange way), the plot lines in each episode are exciting. I don't think anyone would try to deny Mads Mikkelsen's outstanding performance in this show.This show is not for the squeamish, that's for sure. However, I think this is easily the best new show this year, and is in my top three for favorite shows ever. The writing is really good, the characters are super loveable (in a sometimes strange way), the plot lines in each episode are exciting. I don't think anyone would try to deny Mads Mikkelsen's outstanding performance in this show. It's so spectacular he may be out-acting Hopkins (and that is no easy task). I would definitely recommend giving this show a chance, and I'm sure you won't regret it. Enjoy!!! Expand
  20. May 6, 2013
    I love the Hannibal Lector series by Thomas Harris and I (mostly) loved the movies. When I saw previews for Hannibal the TV show I thought, 'oh no, there is no way NBC will be able to do this story justice." Holy crap was I wrong! I watched the first episode and was pleasantly surprised that this was not just the story of Hannibal Lector or an inadequate prequel series to the movies, thisI love the Hannibal Lector series by Thomas Harris and I (mostly) loved the movies. When I saw previews for Hannibal the TV show I thought, 'oh no, there is no way NBC will be able to do this story justice." Holy crap was I wrong! I watched the first episode and was pleasantly surprised that this was not just the story of Hannibal Lector or an inadequate prequel series to the movies, this was a whole new kind of awesome. After the first episode I was not completely hooked. I am a big fan of Anthony Hopkins and I was not sold on Mads Mikkelsen in the role. Now, having watched 6 episodes (including the actual episode 4 which was not aired in the US-- download it from Amazon, it is worth the $1.99) I am completely sold on Mads (I think I realized I loved him after 3), he is an amazing actor and is a disturbingly good Hannibal Lector. Characters from the movies continue to be introduced and are sometimes surprising-Freddie Lounds a woman? that is just crazy talk-- its hard to think about Phillip Seymour Hoffman in the role. The show continues to keep me on the edge of my seat. Yes, sometimes it is gory, and most of the time it is quite disturbing, but all of it is so well done. It is not a gore-fest meant to shock and awe, it is all meant to further twist the viewers mind and see deeper into all of the characters--not only Hannibal. I really hope people tune in and give this show a good run, I have not loved a show like this in, well, ever. Expand
  21. May 11, 2013
    Mads Mikkelsen serving human organs to classical music. Great!

watch the show; sadly it may not be renewed.. such an intelligent series...
  22. May 12, 2013
    This show is easily one of the best shows I have ever seen. Being a huge gore-fan, this is definitely the show for me, and I don't think I could ever stop watching it! The cast was absolutely perfect. It's one of the most stimulating shows I've ever watched, and this is coming from a die-hard Whovian, and I love Doctor Who, and I thought nothing could top it. I was wrong, Hannibal isThis show is easily one of the best shows I have ever seen. Being a huge gore-fan, this is definitely the show for me, and I don't think I could ever stop watching it! The cast was absolutely perfect. It's one of the most stimulating shows I've ever watched, and this is coming from a die-hard Whovian, and I love Doctor Who, and I thought nothing could top it. I was wrong, Hannibal is literally the best thing I have ever seen. I couldn't have asked for a better show~

I mean, some gore might not be good for others, but people need to learn how to use a remote. It's not that hard.

I checked out the wikia and sadly saw the amount of viewers drop by half and got a tiny bit worried. But! I'm sure those of us who watch it now won't stop watching it~ I've gotten a lot of people into it, and they love it too!

If you haven't seen this show yet, go watch it, it's the best show ever.
  23. May 12, 2013
    I forgot to mention the actual way this is filmed. The "moving backwards" that Graham does really prepares the viewer. The artistic was the crimes are shot, the film style muted colors and the decisions on how to film the actors is compelling. Thumbs up to the director and his crew.
  24. May 13, 2013
    This is an amazing show that pulls together every possible element needed for a successful crime thriller. I worry for the show's future based on the viewer numbers, but if it succeeds in not being cancelled it will become a stellar NBC product. In fact, NBC can only blame themselves for not achieving the viewer numbers they expected. They need to position their prime time schedule onThis is an amazing show that pulls together every possible element needed for a successful crime thriller. I worry for the show's future based on the viewer numbers, but if it succeeds in not being cancelled it will become a stellar NBC product. In fact, NBC can only blame themselves for not achieving the viewer numbers they expected. They need to position their prime time schedule on stronger ground, which would preferably give the ax to the saturation of reality shows it airs. Anyway, I love this show, and I hope it's around for many, many years! Expand
  25. May 16, 2013
    Although I love Mads Mikkelsen to death, after seeing the pilot, I was not yet entirely convinced whether the show was really going to be as great as a TV series about Hannibal Lecter should be. But next episodes made me understood how stupid was it of me to ever doubt it. As soon as I got used to seing that much flashbacks, surreal stag moments, uberclassy interior design, and p l a i dAlthough I love Mads Mikkelsen to death, after seeing the pilot, I was not yet entirely convinced whether the show was really going to be as great as a TV series about Hannibal Lecter should be. But next episodes made me understood how stupid was it of me to ever doubt it. As soon as I got used to seing that much flashbacks, surreal stag moments, uberclassy interior design, and p l a i d in a TV show, I sold my soul to Hannibal. In my book, Mikkelsen IS the real Hannibal Lecter, and Dancy is the real Will Graham now. Not only because it is a TV series, and they get to show way more emotion than Hopkins (whom I love) and Norton, but also because they really BETTER. What is the best, Hannibal seems to be an ultimate fangirl magnet Brian Fuller makes it obvious that he truly understands how fandoms work, and that's worthy of notice on its own. And this particular fandom is VERY commited.
    To sum up wonderful writing, beautiful, beautiful colors, feels-inducing acting, ultrasexy cast, awesome food and murder scenes this single show is the only one I will ever really n e e d in my life.
  26. May 16, 2013
    This is a truly incredible show and a breath of fresh air for main stream television. Every year the big networks chew something old up and spit it out with a new name and a couple new actors and call it 'fresh.'
    It's is great to see a show that plays like a movie. Some find it too slow, or boring. I call that character and plot development, and it used to be important in entertainment. I am honestly surprised a show of this quality isn't on HBO or Showtime. And sadly, it's general acceptance by the masses may cut short a true gem on the 'knob channels.'
    I hope I'm wrong.
  27. May 22, 2013
    Brilliant. The atmosphere created here is hypnotic. Sensationally filmed and acted.. visually its very appealing. gimme me more. On late but worth the wait!
  28. May 17, 2013
    Absolutely fantastic, my favourite new show this year! While undoubtably not "fun for the whole family" I would highly recommend this for fans of Dexter and similar shows. Mads Mikkelsen is a gripping Hannibal Lecter with solid performances from Dancy and Fishburne as well as the supporting cast. Aside from brilliant acting, the show really shines through its presentation contrastingAbsolutely fantastic, my favourite new show this year! While undoubtably not "fun for the whole family" I would highly recommend this for fans of Dexter and similar shows. Mads Mikkelsen is a gripping Hannibal Lecter with solid performances from Dancy and Fishburne as well as the supporting cast. Aside from brilliant acting, the show really shines through its presentation contrasting Hannibal's immaculate feasts and some legitimately shocking murders. While drawing criticism the fact that the show doesn't hold back is the show's greatest strength separating it from a miasma of mediocre cop dramas that flood modern television. I must admit the show lacked direction in its early episodes but now each episode is compelling and drives the story forward, leaving me "hungering" for more Hannibal. Expand
  29. May 17, 2013
    I was reading some of those "critic reviews" and wondered what they were watching. Hannibal is a very entertaining series: quite a refresher to the usual monotonous droll that usually airs. Compared to most other crime shows, the graphic imagery presented is mediocre. I actually prefer to see more of Hannibal's techniques, since the show is covering a period in his life when he isI was reading some of those "critic reviews" and wondered what they were watching. Hannibal is a very entertaining series: quite a refresher to the usual monotonous droll that usually airs. Compared to most other crime shows, the graphic imagery presented is mediocre. I actually prefer to see more of Hannibal's techniques, since the show is covering a period in his life when he is virtually unrestrained, and suspicions are elsewhere. Mads Mikkelsen is electrifying, revealing a certain verve that resounds cheerfully in us witnesses. This series is a must watch. Expand
  30. May 19, 2013
    What a shocking surprise! This show has the caliber to be on Showtime or HBO, yet it's airing on network television.

What I love the most is how the writers and the cinematography combine in a way where the viewer is left to imagine how the majority of the vicious crimes are committed, unlike shows like Criminal Minds which demonstrate the heinous acts. This method makes this show a true Horror thrill ride unlike anything on network television in the past decade.

I am very excited to see the direction they take with the show and I feel Hannibal is a piece of art.

1. Reviewed by: Chuck Bowen
    Jun 18, 2013
    Hannibal is richer and more ambiguous than prior Harris adaptations; it's an exploration of social decay that's rife with literal and figurative cancers eating everyone alive from the ground up.
  2. Reviewed by: Tim Goodman
    Apr 5, 2013
    By the end of the first hour, it has managed to make Dancy, Fishburne and Mikkelsen a formidable trio of characters, and each actor responds in kind with strong, engaging performances. Another sign of a good series is the fact that beyond the main three, the supporting cast is filled with solid actors and--more important--strong, vivid characters.
  3. Reviewed by: Rick Porter
    Apr 4, 2013
    It's anchored by several great performances, and it's among the more distinctive and gorgeously filmed shows on the air right now.... What did turn me off a bit in the first couple episodes of Hannibal was the victims were all young women.