Hart of Dixie : Season 1

• Series Premiere Date: Sep 26, 2011
Season #: 1, 2, 3, 4
7.4

1. Feb 2, 2013
    I absolutely hate this show. It's a normal teen drama, but set in a small town; really nothing special. The setting annoys me very much. Although I will say the title is clever.
  2. Sep 28, 2011
    I was hoping for another quirky show set in a small town. I got a show in a small town but without the quirky.
    This is no Gilmore Girls or Northern Exposure. The writing is bad and Rachel, as much as I loved her in the OC is playing pretty much the same type of character here, except...she is a Doctor which really doesn't work.
  3. Oct 2, 2011
    I highly recommend not wasting one's time with this show. To be fair I have only watched the pilot myself so I can't swear it won't get better, but it didn't give any signs it could and one hour was an hour too much invested in this (and that from someone who watches several dozen hours of tv a week). If you want to see a fish-out-of-water story about a New York City doctor adjusting toI highly recommend not wasting one's time with this show. To be fair I have only watched the pilot myself so I can't swear it won't get better, but it didn't give any signs it could and one hour was an hour too much invested in this (and that from someone who watches several dozen hours of tv a week). If you want to see a fish-out-of-water story about a New York City doctor adjusting to life in a quirky small town you would be better served to rent/buy/stream Northern Exposure. This is my first review here btw so I'm not sure what constitutes a "spoiler" per se but I don't directly explain any events below so I didn't mark the article for spoilers but if you are especially sensitive to even oblique references to the sorts of things that might happen in the pilot and are intent on watching this show, please stop reading here just in case; I'm writing this to try to save you an hour, not to ruin anything for you (thanks/sorry!).

The characters are shallow caricatures, character development is forced and awkward (the only vaguely medical operation in the premiere leads immediately two eureka moments from both the main character and the patient where they suddenly change life-long attitudes and behaviors without any explanation), though the overwhelmingly mercurial caprice of the characters might be exactly the catalyst for drama poor writing needs to keep things "interesting" (f.e. they create several situations in just the first hour that might intrigue people who are really into guessing who's going to date whom which is not my cup of tea).

If they intended this to be a carefree heartwarming hour (which I can only assume from the lack of substance) they missed the mark on many counts and should have had a more sympathetic main character (or ideally the majority of the cast), a positive tone, and ideally some witty dialogue or humor (the only thing that I think was meant to be a joke relies on the viewer to actually assume the real Burt Reynolds would be randomly wandering an Alabama swamp on someone else's land in the middle of the night on a regular basis; if you don't accept that premise on its face, you won't be surprised and chuckle when it's proven false!).
  4. Sep 28, 2011
    Josh Schwartz is obviously tired with this one. The South is an interesting setting, but everything, from the lines to the characters, are hilarious here. I'll watch the O.C again if I need a shot of Bilson...

1. Reviewed by: Alan Sepinwall
    Sep 26, 2011
    It's a good cast, and Porter in particular works very well with Bilson. The show just needs to find a way to transcend both formula and Southern stereotypes.
  2. Reviewed by: Ed Bark
    Sep 26, 2011
    It goes down pretty easy if you'd like to set down for a spell with a disarmingly pleasant little down-home melodrama.
  3. Reviewed by: David Eckstein
    Sep 26, 2011
    There are parts of Hart of Dixie that need addressing. The pace lags at certain points. And some of the characters, sometimes even Bilson, are more like caricatures.