• Network: HBO
  • Series Premiere Date: Sep 29, 2013
  • Season #: 1
7.6

1. Oct 21, 2013
    Critics have no idea what they're talking about. Very nice to finally see Stephen Merchant as a leading character, as he thoroughly deserves it. Have been following him since the XFM radio days and think this show is brilliant. Well done to HBO for thinking outside the box yet again and showing why TV has become such an interesting medium in the last 5-10 years.

They should allow more
    british reviews on here as I think many of the critics here have a serious issue with the humour differences and the subtleties. Americans need things spelled out so they're so quick to write something off if they don't get it straight away.

Watch it and see for yourself, and don't pay any attention to the critics Stephen, your show is awesome!
  2. Oct 16, 2013
    This series had a bit of a rocky start but after episode 3 it feels like its found its stride. What a fantastic ensemble of characters, Stuart's sage type relationship with his awkward employee Rory is particularly captivating. I hope this show can keep it up!
  3. Oct 15, 2013
    This show is incredible. Unsurprisingly it has a mixed rating from the 'critics'. Critics generally wouldn't know comedy if it slapped them in the face in the form of a comedic fish. Merchant has the perfect mix of an awkwardness and oblivious nature, to me he is the best parts of the humor from the partnership with Gervais.

It is definitely an original take on tried and tested
    scenarios. While the show is a little obvious in some ways (two arrogant but vulnerable characters are perfect for one another but their pride gets in the way), it has a totally fresh feeling to it. Maybe it's the new talent (Kyle Mooney; whose role should and hopefully will continue to get bigger), or the way they make LA look beautiful (that's an artform in itself), whatever it is the show is fun to watch, relatable, funny, and fresh.

Really hope this show gets picked up for a second season!
  4. Oct 11, 2013
    The reason this is so funny is that it shows a striking resemblance to other awkward geeks (like me!), and I think that is a very hard thing for both the actors and the writers to accomplish.
  5. Oct 14, 2013
    This is one of the funniest new shows on TV. can't wait for the rest of the season to unfold and see what Jessica and Stuart get themselves into. Also Rory and Wade are HILARIOUS.
  6. Oct 26, 2013
    This show is so smart, it's scary. It works on such deep levels. A cursory view won't let you see how deep the writing and actors are going. Each episode takes you farther along. I lived in LA for a while and I know exactly that what they are showing as to life in L.A. is so true... with wit thrown in. Stand behind this one HBO and give it legs to grow. The relationships between the characters, multi-leveled. I've never had a show feel as if it was talking to me like this one does, yet here's the really funny thing, saw the 2nd and 3rd episodes first, then found out Merchant's character is a Web Analyst. Well, honest to God, I'm a Web Analyst, that's how I make my living, perhaps that's why I "get" it, can't wait to watch episode 1. Expand
  7. Nov 12, 2013
    This show has really picked up momentum, great character development, great humour and uncomfortableness in true Merchant fashion. Not surprised at the low critic rating, as the show is smart as well as being crude, and sometimes obviously. But it has feeling too, it's not all LOL... it's seeing the struggle of two characters trying to find their place in the world and in love. Love it, don't let the critic rating put you off. Please bring back for season 2! Expand
  8. Oct 14, 2013
    Great Show with a lot of promise. It was strange at first to see Steven Merchant as the lead character, but I've always rated him as an actor/comedian and I think he really pulls it off. He strikes the right balance between cringe-worthy cluelessness and endearing himself to the audience. I think the supporting cast are very strong as well all very funny in their own right. I'm very excited to see were this series will go in the long run. I'm surprised by some of the more negative reviews, were you watching the same TV show? I found it to be laugh out loud hilarious. The way it's shot and the soundtrack were also surprisingly good, very stylized. I hope HBO give it a chance, they're are usually quite good at letting shows grow. I'd have to say this is my favorite show of the year so far. Bang. I said It. Expand
  9. Nov 27, 2013
    Reviewers have clearly missed the boat on this show. People love it. Wonder why they are so quick to dismiss Merchant. This show is actually a more honest portrayal of what most of LA acting scene actually is. Funny it clearly is, but it presents much more than that. The acting is great and the show should be renewed.
  10. Oct 1, 2013
    Cant wait for rest of the series. The dry awkwardness corners are rounded off compared to his earlier 'more british' programs but had some good laughs and had some great chemistry between Merchant and friends and his love interest alike. Love seeing Merchant as the fish out of water in big LA
  11. Oct 21, 2013
    Great comedy program. Why does there have to be an end to and great program.
    I would love to see this comedy on every week with no break.
    Its funny, witty and I like it because it mixes American Humor with British Humor,
    Of which there is a lack of on the TV.
    Good work Steve, and please keep it up, the humor that is.
  12. Nov 6, 2013
    Fantastic show so far. Rewards repeat viewing because so many jokes don't call attention to themselves (and come one after another), similar to "Veep." Also very much like you'd expect Curb Your Enthusiasm to be if Larry David were younger, single, and anonymous. A fairly dead-on (caricature) of LA and great music to boot. Keep 'em coming.
  13. Nov 8, 2013
    It's about time Stephen Merchant did something of his own without being in the shadow of Gervais. It's obviously in similar vein to the Office and Extra's, but it holds up really well. Always thought Merchant was really funny and had impeccable timing. Hope HBO picks it up for a second series. Good stuff.
  14. Nov 10, 2013
    It took until the 5th episode for me to really get hooked, but now I'm anxious to know what happens to the main characters, so I hope this series is renewed! As always, so sweet and sad, and painfully funny. Contrary to what some reviewers have said, the stories and jokes don't seem contrived, but are shockingly and outrageously realistic, according to what I've heard about Hollywood from actor friends trying to live and work there. Stuart's Englishness and gangliness make him a kind of outsider to the bizzare world of Los Angeles, just as we viewers are. His awkwardness and painful attempts to fit in mirror how we are all flawed and struggling, as are all those beautiful Hollywood kids trying to make it in that meat grinder of a metropolis. I love Stephen Merchant's intelligence and humor and have really enjoyed this series... The 7th one made me cry with sympathy for Stuart, so I know he is on to something. More, we want more! Expand
  15. Nov 18, 2013
    This show is absolutely hilarious!!!! Each character provides comedic value to show, and there are scenes that are simply gut busters. Anyone who says this show isn't funny is CRAZY, or maybe you have to be of a certain intellect to get the humor in it or maybe you just have to sit back and just simply enjoy the show
  16. Nov 26, 2013
    Jeez. Never have the critics missed the boat so much. This show is the funniest thing I've seen in ages. Merchant is brilliant. Now I have to fill out this review to 150 characters. Did I say it was brill.
  17. Dec 23, 2013
    An excellent comedy in its own right, this show brings Merchant's incredible comedy talents to the fore. It's a brave show, with a barely redeemable main character, Stuart Pritchard, but somehow you learn to sympathise and understand why the character is the way his and see a new depth by the end of the season. I found that it got incrementally funnier and funnier, so stick with it and enjoy this hilarious new comedy! Expand
  18. Dec 28, 2013
    What on universe did the critics watch, the same show? Hello Ladies is laugh out hilarious. The Main character is genuinely likable. He is searching for love and companionship, and gets himself into those hilarious situations. The acting by all the characters is brilliant. Love Hello Ladies.

1. Reviewed by: Bruce Miller
    Oct 3, 2013
    Little by little, Hello Ladies grows on you.
  2. Reviewed by: Cody Ray Shafer
    Oct 2, 2013
    The problem is, it's nothing we haven't seen already in The Office, or countless other romantic comedies. It's forgivable, though, as Hello Ladies doesn't give up on the self-deprecating scenery.
  3. Reviewed by: Rick Porter
    Sep 30, 2013
    Merchant uses his gangly physicality (at 6-foot-7, he towers over everyone else on the show) to good effect in scenes when Stuart is on the make. Despite that, though, and despite the fact that Merchant is willing to make himself the butt of the joke, Hello Ladies doesn't quite pull off the trick of making Stuart someone you want to spend week after week seeing.