• Network: Netflix
  • Series Premiere Date: Apr 19, 2013
Season #: 1, 2
7.6

1. Aug 2, 2014
    I watched it based on the fact that Netflix originals have been entertaining and well done (House of Cards, Orange is the New Black). Hemlock Grove, however, lacks the movie quality acting that have differentiated other Netflix originals.

While the directing is decent, poor screenwriting condemns the cast to canned and often cliche lines. Each episode includes multiple cliff hangers and quirky mysteries to keep the viewer progressing through the show without, however, delivering on the anticipation that the show builds.
  2. Apr 27, 2013
    The dialogue sounds like it was written by aliens that think this is how humans talk. Truly terrible, but very enjoyable. Go into it expecting very little and enjoy it for a spectacular example of what happens when total creative control goes wrong.
  3. Apr 24, 2013
    Janssen's accent is too forced (and I really liked her before this). The pace is very slow...too many scenes with nothing happening. The writing and acting needs a lot of improvement. The potential is there for a good series. Liboiron, Skarsgard, Scott and Taylor are carrying the show. The other actors need to step up their game so that their scenes don't seem so amateur.
  4. Apr 19, 2013
    Besides Janssen's accent, the show is pretty good. Good acting, story is interesting. Creepy and weird at the same time. Hope for more great original series from Netflix.
  5. Apr 29, 2013
    This show can be summed up in five words: failure to close the deal. Eli Roth, you let me down, man. This show's first 6 episodes are a well-written, tense unfolding of characters and sub-plots that hook and intrigue you. The next 7 episodes go the way of a big budget, summer action flick: how much destruction can we toss against the screen before anyone notices there's no plot here?This show can be summed up in five words: failure to close the deal. Eli Roth, you let me down, man. This show's first 6 episodes are a well-written, tense unfolding of characters and sub-plots that hook and intrigue you. The next 7 episodes go the way of a big budget, summer action flick: how much destruction can we toss against the screen before anyone notices there's no plot here?

The show started off walking that tightrope of grisly, over the top revelations and grounding character development. For the first several episodes, they pulled off the tightrope walk and looked sexy doing it. More importantly, they pulled back before they lost the story under the shock.

Unfortunately, right around episode 7, the writers/director seemed to realize that they didn't have any sensors to appease and they went the way of American Horror Story season 2 towards the end. They stopped writing and started ramping up the skin-crawling taboos factor. They left plots unraveling with no progression. Then at the tail end, it's as though they realize they have all this ground they should cover so they can set up the teaser for season 2. The finale was the longest 58 minutes of my life in recent memory. I know I've got first world problems, but I was literally talking to the screen willing it to be over.

As a life-long sci-fi horror fan, I commend Netflix for reaching across genres for their original programming content. Keep it up. As for this show, I'm tempted to read reviews of the book this is based on to see if the problem was straying from the script or sticking to it.

Writers' Side Note: I think I'm getting too old for the "everything with a vagina must be filleted on screen" method of storytelling. Get some therapy and take a real risk.
  6. Aug 8, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This series has a ton of great ideas & characters but it seems as if the writers have no clue on how to write a cohesive story. There are too many instances where the show jumps from one thing to another without any explanation on how the characters got there. For example, there is a scene where the 2 main characters (rich boy & gypsy boy) are sitting in class & rich boy passes a note to gypsy boy asking if he can watch(watch what?). Gypsy boy then leaves the classroom without answering. Next thing you know both boys are in gypsy boy's home waiting for him to turn into a wolf. At no point since the series started did gypsy boy tell anyone that he was a werewolf nor did the writers ever indicate that. This was in ep 2 but this lack of attention to detail is seen through the entire series. It seems that the creators of the show decided to just patch things together to get from one cool thing to another without any actual concern for a good, solid story. This show is not as good as Lost, Buffy, Angel, Supernatural or a bunch of others that tell big stories per season but it is entertaining when you have nothing else too watch. Expand
  7. Aug 10, 2014
    I really want to like this because the genre is a personal favourite of mine.. But unfortunately it has got too many ideas and characters thrown together, and it takes way to long to clarify any of them. If this was a regular series were you had to wait a week for the next episode, I would not bother waiting. And the attention to details is, well.. I saw the episode were Roman cuts hisI really want to like this because the genre is a personal favourite of mine.. But unfortunately it has got too many ideas and characters thrown together, and it takes way to long to clarify any of them. If this was a regular series were you had to wait a week for the next episode, I would not bother waiting. And the attention to details is, well.. I saw the episode were Roman cuts his face, for then in the next scene to have the band aid on the wrong side of his face... come on people.. But regardless I am enjoying it because I love the genre and I do love the actors and I they are doing a great job! I would keep watching for the sole reason of good acting. Expand
  8. Apr 29, 2015
    This show is good, well written and has realistic reactions to unrealistic events. However it is SLOW, my god is it slow. I find my self wanting to watch it while also checking my email during it. While nothing like DBZ it goes in the same bucket as its a great show until I try to watch it.

1. Reviewed by: Jace Lacob
    May 30, 2013
    The Roth-directed drama is an almost unwatchable muddle of horror tropes and painfully creaky dialogue.
  2. Reviewed by: Jessica Shaw
    Apr 24, 2013
    Hemlock Grove takes its time with story lines, ensuring that each one has plenty of room to ripen. It carries out every dastardly deed with gusto, but still offers enough moments of levity.
  3. Reviewed by: Ed Bark
    Apr 24, 2013
    Hemlock Grove overall falls well short of anything resembling sustained brilliance. Still, each episode may well push just enough buttons to pull you along to the next one.