• Network: Netflix
  • Series Premiere Date: Apr 19, 2013
Season #: 1, 2
7.6

1. Jul 9, 2013
    Sometimes you can read the user reviews and see they are higher than the 'professional critics' reviews and think to yourself it's just some dumb ass teens or some idiot social media marketing gimp employed by the film company but here, the professionals are wrong. Hemlock grove was really really enjoyable! It has that kind of quirky Twin Peaks vibe and a kind of 'this is our style, getSometimes you can read the user reviews and see they are higher than the 'professional critics' reviews and think to yourself it's just some dumb ass teens or some idiot social media marketing gimp employed by the film company but here, the professionals are wrong. Hemlock grove was really really enjoyable! It has that kind of quirky Twin Peaks vibe and a kind of 'this is our style, get used to it' about it as a netflix original that house of cards had, that draws you in and makes you think someone up there in netflix towers is all about good drama and not set pieces designed to make you come back from the next ad break. Who keep burbling on about it being twilight?? It really IS NOT, its way more intimate and thought enjoyable, Expand
  2. May 6, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Good show. Much better than other supernatural teen franchises it could be compared to. Slow pacing ultimately falls away as the number of questions and subplots grow thicker.

Hope it gets a Season 2, as it hasn't hit the sweet spot yet, but certainly should do if given the chance.

Cannot understand the poor critic's ratings, but most are based on the low budget pilot. I don't think any review that doesn't take the series as a whole is very narrow minded. The rules of regular TV don't apply to the new media, and a show that drops all episodes at once should be viewed in it's entirety. Anything else is misinformed.

FYI, I hate most supernatural stuff, especially werewolves and vampires but it still held my attention. There's enough there to keep the sci fi fans hooked too.
  3. Jul 4, 2013
    This is a captivating new series. I easily lose interest in tv series but this it's unlike many I have seen. I do however suggest they try to speak to all viewers. There is a great deal of female nudity so I assume they believe the majority of viewers will be male, but on the contrary, I know four out of five of my friends whom watch this show are women.
  4. Nov 13, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I have only recently watched Hemlock Grove, in early November 13. And i have to say I thought the brooding, mystery of it all was phenomenal. Being a young adult I have completely indulged myself with the thirteen episode thriller. Dark demons and hidden depths suck you in and leave you speechless. The gore, fantastic. Completely gripping. And the characters, perfectly portrayed, exactly how they should be. As a budding actress myself and looking to go into the darker genre, i was glued to the screen, every actor and actress had that dark spark. It's not just the gorgeous guys i'm infatuated with either, the twists, romance, action and the supernatural element are thrown together in a way that suits this gruesome jaw-dropping series. I am definitely looking forward to the release of the second! And as for the werewolf transformation, it's never been done like that. I have spent countless hours trawling through all things supernatural. Never have I come across one so realistic and in detail. I'm really not sure what all these negative reviews are all about, they must be on the wrong site. Thank you Netflix! Expand
  5. Dec 31, 2013
    I happen to come across the show when I was not sure what to watch, I am so glad I started watching it. I love the show and look forward to season 2. I also plan to tell my friend's and family in case they were not aware of the show so they are able to also become addicted to it lol
  6. Lvy
    Apr 28, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Excellent series, the best horror, passion, mystery and love drama series I have seen so far!!!!!!
    I can't wait to see season two coming soon in New Zealand.
  7. Jul 9, 2014
    When I first started watching this show, my husband and I laughed when we shouldn't have and I started to think it was horrible but I couldn't stop watching it. My husband gave up on it on episode 2 but I stayed the course and was pleasantly surprised to actually like Hemlock Grove for what it is. Does it have pacing issues? Yes. Are there accent issues? Yes. But i consider a show good ifWhen I first started watching this show, my husband and I laughed when we shouldn't have and I started to think it was horrible but I couldn't stop watching it. My husband gave up on it on episode 2 but I stayed the course and was pleasantly surprised to actually like Hemlock Grove for what it is. Does it have pacing issues? Yes. Are there accent issues? Yes. But i consider a show good if i can keep pushing through it and be thoroughly entertained.

So check this out if you are bored and cannot find anything on Netflix. And watch until at least episode 3 before you pass judgement. It is like LOST in that way.
  8. Jul 11, 2014
    This is like Anne Rice meets Stephen King . This thriller series is one of the best I have seen in a long time . Sorry True Blood but there is a new show in town . I give the acting and casting a 9 and plot and storyline a 9 and give it a 10 overall for bringing them together . Bill Skarsgård (as Roman Godfrey) and Landon Liboiron ( as Peter Rumancek) have shown there is a future for youngThis is like Anne Rice meets Stephen King . This thriller series is one of the best I have seen in a long time . Sorry True Blood but there is a new show in town . I give the acting and casting a 9 and plot and storyline a 9 and give it a 10 overall for bringing them together . Bill Skarsgård (as Roman Godfrey) and Landon Liboiron ( as Peter Rumancek) have shown there is a future for young Hollywood. The only bad thing I have to say is 10 episodes for season 2 really ? This show leaves you wanting for more and I am already wanting to see season 3 . Expand
  9. May 4, 2013
    Everything about this series is really peculiar and I can see that it makes it hard to like for some people. I can't seem to decide if the series is really brilliant or just utterly dumb. Anyway, I gave the series a chance and it was worth it and I'm interested to see how it continues.
  10. Jul 1, 2014
    I really enjoyed this show, it's unique and it doesn't hold back. I feel they did an excellent job with the cast and the special effects are top notch everything looks so realistic. I'm really looking forward to season 2.
  11. Jan 12, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I am a huge werewolf fan so when I saw the title of this series I knew I was going to enjoy it. I did not expect what Hemlock Grove had in store. This series is constantly keeping you wondering & just when you think you have a character figured out something happens & your back to wondering, especially when it comes to trying to figure out if a character is good or bad, it seems everyone is a little bit of both especially the Godfrey family. The son Roman is a tortured rich kid that comes off as not entirely human, along with his mother Olivia (played by Famke Jannsen a.k.a Jean Grey/Phoenix in X*Men) who is so cold its scary. And his sister Shelley is a mystery of her own that seems like a questionable individual at first but before you know it you are rooting for her & her fight for independence from her control freak mother, with the help of her big brother who cares for her to the point of making any girl swoon. Peter Rumancek is a gypsy werewolf town outcast that moves to Hemlock with his mother (Lili Taylor!!) & befriends Roman regardless of their families "differences". The scene where the werewolf changes is by far the best turning scene I've ever seen, it gave me goose bumps & I had to rewatch it a few times. This series will keep you guessing & wondering & will make you want more & more, just when you think you know what's going on something challenges your theory. Hemlock Grove is exclusively on Netflix & worth it! I can't wait for season 2. The series is so great I've started reading the book its based on my Brian McGreevy, equally amazing & poetically beautiful. Expand
  12. Aug 2, 2014
    I watched it based on the fact that Netflix originals have been entertaining and well done (House of Cards, Orange is the New Black). Hemlock Grove, however, lacks the movie quality acting that have differentiated other Netflix originals.

While the directing is decent, poor screenwriting condemns the cast to canned and often cliche lines. Each episode includes multiple cliff hangers and quirky mysteries to keep the viewer progressing through the show without, however, delivering on the anticipation that the show builds.
  13. Jul 27, 2013
    Honestly I have to say Hemlock Grove is one of the best series i've ever watched. Needless to say I wasn't sure about it at first but once you get through the first episode it's addicting, I just cant wait till the second season!
  14. Aug 20, 2013
    This series separates itself from others "like it" by being vastly more mature gritty funny and mystical than them. There are moments in this fine series that are genuinely rapturous. It doesn't pull any punches. Character is woven into every scene. Force yourself to watch the first couple if you must. You will binge watch the rest and be left wanting more.
  15. Sep 24, 2013
    I was actually surprised by how much I loved this show. It was actually well put together and had possibly the most realistic werewolf transformation I've ever seen! The characters are real interesting along with all their stories. Some episodes are real emotional. This is what it would be like to be a werewolf or vampire in real like. But be warned, this show does not sugar coat ANYTHINGI was actually surprised by how much I loved this show. It was actually well put together and had possibly the most realistic werewolf transformation I've ever seen! The characters are real interesting along with all their stories. Some episodes are real emotional. This is what it would be like to be a werewolf or vampire in real like. But be warned, this show does not sugar coat ANYTHING gore or sex wise and the story line will take you on a crazy ride! Expand
  16. luv
    Apr 3, 2014
    This show is a more boring version of "True Blood" apparently aimed at a younger audience with sociopathic tendencies. I mean, that's why gore and sex are the show's fall backs, right? It's too bad because they have a decent cast and the show is shot well. The dialog, however, is forced and the story lines don't make up for it. The characters are shallow and uninteresting. FiveThis show is a more boring version of "True Blood" apparently aimed at a younger audience with sociopathic tendencies. I mean, that's why gore and sex are the show's fall backs, right? It's too bad because they have a decent cast and the show is shot well. The dialog, however, is forced and the story lines don't make up for it. The characters are shallow and uninteresting. Five episodes in I still didn't care about any of them. There's a lot of sex and nudity, which I guess is supposed to make it feel edgy. Instead, it just seems they're trying to distract you from the fact that NOTHING IS HAPPENING. Well, that's not fair. A lot happens, just not anything that you care about. And the big "revelations" aren't enough to make you care what's coming next. It's like someone wrote down every idea he got from a drunken binge-watching of "American Horror Story" and then hired the producers of "True Blood" to make this junk for Netflix. Sure, my writing isn't great, but it's Pulitzer-prize winning material compared to this tripe. Expand
  17. Apr 22, 2013
    I binge watched this whole series in one sitting which most people won't. That is unfortunate. You could not accurate summarize "Lost" by only watching the pilot. You get the beginning premise and an introduction to the characters but the entire arc as a whole is what matters. This is definitely the case with Hemlock Grove...it is a 13 hour feature that continually ramps up. This is aI binge watched this whole series in one sitting which most people won't. That is unfortunate. You could not accurate summarize "Lost" by only watching the pilot. You get the beginning premise and an introduction to the characters but the entire arc as a whole is what matters. This is definitely the case with Hemlock Grove...it is a 13 hour feature that continually ramps up. This is a show you can really sink your fangs/claws into.

Though it has some flaws, the characters have depth and personalities. The settings and cinematic approach to the visuals make it a feast for your eyes. It's Cruel Intentions or Twin Peaks with vampires and werewolves or it's Twilight if it were NC-17. I hate to draw the parallel, because the only thing in common is that there's 2 guys and a girl. The rest is great and engaging Stephanie Meyer wishes she could create. I enjoyed the series' pragmatic approach to the super natural and magic. Nothing is overt and it all seems very incidental. To me, this sort of subtly is what makes high concept shows more compelling. I enjoyed that there is room for a continuation, but also that every character had a definitive conclusion to their story this season. Worth watching if you have Netflix. It may start slow, but the payoff is worth it.
  18. Aug 23, 2013
    I’m glad Netflix renewed the series. Just finished watching all of Hemlock Grove, it was a bit slow the first 2 episodes but when it did reach climax it was hard not keep watching. I liked the story line unique and fresh with a great mix of thriller and mystery combination. Can’t wait for season 2!
  19. Sep 24, 2013
    I don't get really engaged with a lot of shows, but this one drew me right in. It's like reading a book, revealing the story one page at a time. Love it and can't wait for season 2
  20. May 27, 2014
    Started kind of slow then the show sinks in. Very suspenseful with great characters. I commend the choice of actors. Overly sexual at times yet wonderfully gory.
  21. Apr 19, 2013
    Hemlock Grove is an amazing series, it is slow developing but so what, so is Game of Thrones. Its more murder mystery that happens to be set in a supernatural universe.
  22. Apr 22, 2013
    The show is slower to start, but it's a refreshing change from the generic, white-washed shows usually marketed as supernatural horror. The show has some real horror elements to it, and isn't shy about it. Yes, at times it can remind you of something like Vampire Diaries, but the difference is that it doesn't dissolve into high-school-romance-drivel.

The show is very reminiscent of Twin

The show is very reminiscent of Twin Peaks, and it definitely carries the tone of an abnormal small town with mounting tensions. The show isn't episodic, and much of the series is set up for the finale, which finally gives answers in the last few episodes.

Like many shows or books that play with the gothic horror genre, there are references to other, more famous, works such as Frankenstein and Wuthering Heights.
  23. May 22, 2013
    Hemlock Grove is a good show. It starts off slow, but it's worth a chance. The bad reviews are from people who watched five minutes of the first episode.
  24. Jun 7, 2013
    What a weird, grotesque, slightly stupid & uniquely perplexing show. I've never been so confused, grossed out and shocked by a show in my life! It's so strange and full of gore, lose ends and eerie characters that I couldn't look away... it watches like a really long movie instead of like a show and no matter how much you keep guessing- you can't find much reason or rhyme for whatWhat a weird, grotesque, slightly stupid & uniquely perplexing show. I've never been so confused, grossed out and shocked by a show in my life! It's so strange and full of gore, lose ends and eerie characters that I couldn't look away... it watches like a really long movie instead of like a show and no matter how much you keep guessing- you can't find much reason or rhyme for what happens... which makes it really fun to watch! Often one "answer" was accompanied by 10 more questions! No singular part of the show is great but it all works together to somehow "pull-off" a weird, dream like show that keeps the watcher guessing and interested. The acting is usually okay but sometimes lacked, however it was forgivable. The mood and shock factor was probably what made it such a unique viewing experience. I hope they decide to make a second season... would really love another "wtf?!" moment. Expand
  25. Apr 27, 2013
    The dialogue sounds like it was written by aliens that think this is how humans talk. Truly terrible, but very enjoyable. Go into it expecting very little and enjoy it for a spectacular example of what happens when total creative control goes wrong.
  26. Oct 29, 2013
    Think 'Twin Peaks' not 'Twilight.' Along with Janssen's accent, (which is supposed to sound as if she's from her own made up reality people, she's a fantastic actress and it took work to get that accent to sound so manufactured) the whole show is supposed to feel a little "off." The jokes misplaced, the demeanor of people exaggerated. You can't have the expectation of it being a "vampireThink 'Twin Peaks' not 'Twilight.' Along with Janssen's accent, (which is supposed to sound as if she's from her own made up reality people, she's a fantastic actress and it took work to get that accent to sound so manufactured) the whole show is supposed to feel a little "off." The jokes misplaced, the demeanor of people exaggerated. You can't have the expectation of it being a "vampire show." It doesn't fit into that category. It's a murder mystery with an array of monsters. Some of them you know what they are, some of them you don't. Like what exactly is Shelley? Maybe we'll find out next season, maybe not. All you can count on for sure? It will be a ride. People without open minds are bound not to connect to the show. You have to be patient and not just watch the first 20 min of the first episode, jump to conclusions, and say it's a crap show. I think it's one of the best shows I've seen in the last handful of years at least. It's vexing and frustrating, beautiful and terrible. The look of the show is also one of the things I love. It's that dark, sort of yellowing around the edges feel. Oddly enough the only thing that continued to bother me throughout the whole season was how hairy they claim Peter is when he's just got normal to less than the average amount of body hair. Everything else I can wrap my head around. You just have to keep an open mind and not expect anything. Take it for what it is and enjoy! Expand
  27. Feb 17, 2014
    The story was confused, pulled in too many directions, and felt like a re-run of so many other shows we have seen in this genre. I feel the show runner had many ideas for this show and tried to use them all in one season. It ended in a big mess.
  28. Jul 6, 2014
    Wow just Wow I will start by saying I absolutely love this show. I just finished season one today and the whole premise is Epic in my opinion. The setting is Impeccable and very dreary in the best way possible. I love the characters in the show all of them shine but specifically "Landon Liboiron" as Peter Rumancek and "Bill Skarsgard" as Roman Godfrey. I will say that Eli Roth has such aWow just Wow I will start by saying I absolutely love this show. I just finished season one today and the whole premise is Epic in my opinion. The setting is Impeccable and very dreary in the best way possible. I love the characters in the show all of them shine but specifically "Landon Liboiron" as Peter Rumancek and "Bill Skarsgard" as Roman Godfrey. I will say that Eli Roth has such a creative imagination that shouldn't be overlooked nor is it in this show. I did expect a tad more violence then there was but that is to be expected due to character development. I would recommend this to anyone. I'm so excited for season two coming this Friday on July 11th!!!!! Expand
  29. May 12, 2014
    It reminds me of Twin Peaks in a way. I can understand if it's not somebodies cup of tea. I didn't see anything wrong with Famke Janssen's accent. She is playing an American with a British accent. I have British friends that have lived in America for a few decades and their accents aren't as refined as somebody who is living in the UK! Get over it!
  30. Apr 21, 2013
    A dark, gritty new supernatural murder mystery with an excellent cast of familiar faces. The plot is moderately intricate yet at times fails to deliver a clear transition on previously established plot devices. Don't expect this show to explain everything to you straight up there remains a certain level of mystery throughout the entire season. Can't wait for season 2!

1. Reviewed by: Jace Lacob
    May 30, 2013
    The Roth-directed drama is an almost unwatchable muddle of horror tropes and painfully creaky dialogue.
  2. Reviewed by: Jessica Shaw
    Apr 24, 2013
    Hemlock Grove takes its time with story lines, ensuring that each one has plenty of room to ripen. It carries out every dastardly deed with gusto, but still offers enough moments of levity.
  3. Reviewed by: Ed Bark
    Apr 24, 2013
    Hemlock Grove overall falls well short of anything resembling sustained brilliance. Still, each episode may well push just enough buttons to pull you along to the next one.