- Network: Encore
- Series Premiere Date: Mar 11, 2013
- Season #: 1
- Summary: The German produced-miniseries is a fictional story about the search for a bomb planted on the Hindenburg by American Edward van Zandt (Stacy Keach). However, on board is his wife (Greta Scacchi) and daughter (Lauren Lee Smith), as well as the Hindenburg designer Merten Kröger (Maximilian Simonichek).… Expand
- Genre(s): Drama, Movie/Mini-Series, Action & Adventure
- Show Type: Special
- Season 1 premiere date: Mar 11, 2013
- Air Time: 08:00 PM
- More Details and Credits »
Positive: 0 out of 3
Mixed: 0 out of 3
Negative: 3 out of 3
Performance so lacking in spark that it's a wonder the titular dirigible actually combusts at the end. [15 Mar 2013, p.57]
Not surprisingly, it's when this enterprise adheres strictly to the formula for such films--a race to find the time bomb in time, a struggle against impossible odds--that this talky series, blighted by wooden dialogue, finds any strength.... Even without such flaws there could be no overcoming the creaking absurdity at the heart of Hindenburg.
Positive: 0 out of 1
Mixed: 0 out of 1
Negative: 1 out of 1
Mar 12, 2013If you think the actual Hidenberg disaster was spectacular, the German produced miniseries is even more so. In this Encore miniseries, we're given a watered down love story with all the passion of a carbonated drink and acting that wouldn't cut it in a junior high school play. However, one has to wonder what on earth Encore was thinking when it brought this disaster to the shores of American television. I suspect the meeting with Encore Network and the German producers went something like this:
ENCORE EXECUTIVE: So you guys want us to back your miniseries on the Hidenberg disaster?
GERMAN PRODUCER: Absolutely;
ENCORE EXECUTIVE: What makes you guys think you can make a really good drama about the Hidenberg disaster?
GERMAN EXECUTIVE: Well, for starters, WE'RE GERMAN.
ENCORE EXECUTIVE: Good point. You sold me. Here's a check. Go make you miniseries.
In the words of Winston Churchill: Never has one miniseries, given so little to so many.… Expand