• Network: Showtime
  • Series Premiere Date: Oct 2, 2011
Season #: 1, 2, 3, 4
8.3

1. Feb 10, 2013
    It's sad to watch a bold show in a free decline like Homeland.
    After a great debut season (that had its flaws when somebody comes back from death without explanation), the second it's a huge disaster, with comical plot turns that are so predictable and useless that you could watch just 5 episodes to have a full appreciation of the entire season.
  2. Oct 27, 2012
    Claiming that this is top tier TV is just wrong. The acting is very good, particularly Danes, Patinkin and Lewis, but this season is a classic example of the "how do we flog this for another hit" when the first one so obviously wrote itself into a corner. I would give Breaking Bad, The Wire, Deadwood all 10s, but everyone seems to be putting this in the same sphere, which is farcical. TheClaiming that this is top tier TV is just wrong. The acting is very good, particularly Danes, Patinkin and Lewis, but this season is a classic example of the "how do we flog this for another hit" when the first one so obviously wrote itself into a corner. I would give Breaking Bad, The Wire, Deadwood all 10s, but everyone seems to be putting this in the same sphere, which is farcical. The plot is just stupid and patronising (why would Abu Nazir be an ally to Hezbollah?!!). Even under extreme pressure, we have to believe that a US soldier would convert to islam because he witnessed an event every soldier knows his government is complicit in - having then returned and had an epiphany about his family, he decides to remain allied to the same set of arguably worse innocent civilian killers. I don't mind 24, silly stuff like that, but this presents itself as serious political drama. It's getting boring as well.... Collapse
  3. Mar 17, 2013
    Season One was great, but Season Two was just plain awful. Almost all good shows jump the shark at some point, but this one went bad in a hurry. So sorry to see this show get all sorts of "24" stupid (circa Seasons 5 thru 8) so quickly.
  4. Dec 17, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The wait for Season 2 was at an all time high. Waiting for September 30th, 2012 was nearly impossible. Finally Season 2 started and we were excited..... that was until they realized that Carrie was telling the truth. Discovering the hidden tape that showed Brody's confession to bombing the Vice President and other political figures just minutes after Tom Walker killed congresswoman in Season 1. Obviously that suicide bombing failed, and the tape was discovered by Saul and brought to the attention of CIA head David Estes. Nick Brody was suddenly a confessed enemy of the state and after 4 maybe 5 episodes suddenly the premise of the show..... no longer existed. Brody was in love with Carrie, he was also part time CIA member as well as a Congressman and being nominated for Vice President, and still also a part-time terrorist working with Abu Nazir, who later came to the US..... only to be murdered. From episode 5 till episode 11 and 30 minutes into episode 12 it felt as if the show was ending for good even though the show was quickly renewed for Season 3. The weird and somewhat forbidden love that was Carrie and Brody was incredibly dull and made no story progression until the season finale. It was just sort of there with more sneaking off and sex. Only this time it was under surveillance of the CIA. The show saw the debut of a new character, Quinn, who was responsible for stabbing Brody in the hand when he wouldn't answer Quinn's interrogation questions honestly. You wondered where the show would travel after the death of Abu Nazir. Would Brody take over as the new worlds biggest terrorist? Would Brody die, and a new terrorist would come to light? And then, at a memorial for the Vice President, a terrorist attack took place killing David Estes and many others. And suddenly, the reasoning for the lackluster season and the shows premise being destroyed suddenly made sense. Carrie and Brody, both attending the Vice President's memorial, left the room, mid-memorial to go have an afternoon sex session mainly so Carrie could tell Brody that she would choose him over a potential CIA job promotion, actively taking Saul's old spot once Este's got rid of Saul for reasons that didn't make sense. Brody suddenly realized his car in front of the building where the memorial was being held and thus the shocking moment that made the crap season suck. The terrorist attack, the the attack that Congressman Brody will now be blamed for. Did he do it? If he didn't do it, then who did? Regardless, Carrie helped Brody create a new identity and helped him leave the country. The season ends with Brody headed to Canada, essentially a domestic enemy on the run, and Carrie returning to DC, to the shock of Saul, show that she survived the explosion. The Season 2 finale quite possibly saved the season and maybe the show as a whole. I can't wait for Season 3 now, despite the premise of the show kind of being destroyed. How long can Brody's run from the law last? Super excited. It'll sort of be a whole new show kind of when Season 3 debuts. Expand
  5. Jan 13, 2013
    Comparing this to Breaking bad is a travesty. The acting is just too over the top from Claire Danes. The story is terribly unbelievable. I'm still not really sure what her role in the CIA is was, because the characters all over the map. Besides the fact that there is no way she would be even IN the CIA. There is way too much incorrect information in the show for me. I LOVE THEComparing this to Breaking bad is a travesty. The acting is just too over the top from Claire Danes. The story is terribly unbelievable. I'm still not really sure what her role in the CIA is was, because the characters all over the map. Besides the fact that there is no way she would be even IN the CIA. There is way too much incorrect information in the show for me. I LOVE THE PREMISE. But the execution is awful, with far too many holes. I'd like to think the US government isn't this stupid, otherwise we'd all be dead by now. Expand
  6. Oct 27, 2012
    The first episode was full of nonsense and predictable patterns, but if you accept that inconsistency then the show grows episode after episode, maybe there is hope for a good finale of season after all.
    Claire Danes is yet very very good and intense in her play, a bit less Lewis but still decent. The main plot is finally a bit intriguing even though the show offer too much about sidekicks and non interesting stories (like the daughter and her friends)
  7. Oct 10, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. While the acting is as sublime as season one, I am having a hard time suspending disbelief with some of the action in season 2 through episode 2. This is not to say I hate the show but I wonder why nobody else seems to be bothered by these crazy plot holes.

Just a few of my questions below.

I know they try to explain away Brody's access to classified information because he may be a VP candidate, but come on. A first term representative is watching live feeds of the US attempting to kill the most wanted man in the world?

Even getting past that we are supposed to believe that all of our best targets are kept on a one page list that is kept in a 4 button combination safe. Also, said list is accessible if you can be alone in an office for two minutes. If I is that easy why not just pay off a janitor rather than risk a deep cover terrorist that is a congressman? Even if we get past that, we are to believe that Brody could really save Nazir with a text from the situation room. One would think that international texts during top secret missions might be blocked or at least tracked. Domestic texts for that matter too.

Finally, I am dreading how they get around Brody being exposed by the video Sal finds at the end of episode 2. If the beginning of this season is any indication it will be beyond belief!
  8. Mar 25, 2013
    Convoluted, far fetched and frankly boring. Pleased to see the user score is lower than that for Walking Dead, but the critics' rating is ludicrously generous.

1. Reviewed by: Tom Gliatto
    Oct 4, 2012
    The show hasn't lost its clever agility at building pressure-cooker suspense and then lobbing in a surprise. [8 Oct 2012, p.55]
  2. Reviewed by: Tim Goodman
    Oct 1, 2012
    Homeland is as riveting and addictive as when we last saw it, kicking off with no lull in the pulse-pounding action.
  3. Reviewed by: Robert Lloyd
    Sep 28, 2012
    Given the extravagances of the plot and the characters, that it feels plausibly seated in the real world is a testament to everyone involved in its production. But it is especially due to the actors.