• Network: Showtime
  • Series Premiere Date: Oct 2, 2011
  • Season #: 1 , 2 , 3 , 4
8.3

1. Aug 31, 2013
    Carrie Mathison is my bro. Honestly, the strongest and balls-to-the-wall most well-acted and realised female character in the history of television. This show constantly plays cat-and -mouse with sense and plausibility but it always finds a way to reset the game higher, even while it loops back to plot points we thought were resolved for once and for all. I don't know how many seasons they can realistically get out of this, but season one and two are dynamite, urm make that C-4... barrels of it. I'm not quite done s2 but hey.... Stay with it, doubters, it'll take you places! I rarely give out 10's, this gets a 10. Expand
  2. Dec 22, 2013
    Just watched the whole season and have to say booooo. The majority of the 12 episodes is about the teenage daughter that whines and complains. Dont understand why the writers made this 13 year old such a part of this particular season. And a brain tarted cia agent is just ridicolous script writing Proves that only the great shows have great second seasons. Anyone can write and make a great first season because you have all the time in the world but a second season has to be made in 12 months, its a stress test for the show writers/creators and they are no good and blew it as shown in this season. Come on people, if you think this is 96/100 television you are bored and easily impressed. I loved season one but this one was hard for me to complete with all the other shows and movies being released. But for this particular show and season to score 96/100 blows my mind. NO GOOD Expand
  3. Dec 25, 2012
    The people writing negative reviews are either upset Breaking Bad fans or they have no idea what real television is. Homeland is one of the best written and acted TV shows in history. Every character, every episode, it is as near flawless as you could ever expect. Damien is a master actor and so is Claire. I saw someone writing a review giving this a ZERO and trying to say that Damien should have died in season 1. This is absolutely insane because the show revolves around him. That is like saying Bryan Cranston should have been killed off of Breaking Bad. It is nonsense. Do not believe the haters, this show is amazing. Expand
  4. Dec 13, 2012
    At first I was pretty skeptical to watch this series, I thought it was still a series that dealt with terrorism again, the American house superhero who will save the world against the evil Arabs, but I was surprised by the quality of the acting in particular Claire Daines & Damian Lewis and especially the originality of the script
  5. Oct 3, 2012
    Breaking bad and this show are way above anything else currently on television. Amazing everything. Do yourself a favor and check out the show. The critics are dead on.
  6. Mar 17, 2013
    Season One was great, but Season Two was just plain awful. Almost all good shows jump the shark at some point, but this one went bad in a hurry. So sorry to see this show get all sorts of "24" stupid (circa Seasons 5 thru 8) so quickly.
  7. Dec 25, 2012
    I love me some Breaking Bad, Walking Dead, Dexter, and Game of Thrones. But none of those show leave me with such anticipation for the next episode as Homeland does. Homeland is a true masterpiece in terms of writing, narrative, and plot. Can't wait for Season 3.
  8. Oct 27, 2012
    Claiming that this is top tier TV is just wrong. The acting is very good, particularly Danes, Patinkin and Lewis, but this season is a classic example of the "how do we flog this for another hit" when the first one so obviously wrote itself into a corner. I would give Breaking Bad, The Wire, Deadwood all 10s, but everyone seems to be putting this in the same sphere, which is farcical. The plot is just stupid and patronising (why would Abu Nazir be an ally to Hezbollah?!!). Even under extreme pressure, we have to believe that a US soldier would convert to islam because he witnessed an event every soldier knows his government is complicit in - having then returned and had an epiphany about his family, he decides to remain allied to the same set of arguably worse innocent civilian killers. I don't mind 24, silly stuff like that, but this presents itself as serious political drama. It's getting boring as well.... Expand
  9. Oct 3, 2012
    I like this first episode of the new season a lot. We know the characters well now so the pacing has picked up. Not only that but the premise looks like it will be just as intense and interesting as last season's (if not more so). Co-developer, writer Howard Gordon (24) knows what he's doing.
  10. Dec 27, 2012
    I'm still not quite sure how they pulled something so awesome. This is a masterpiece on the level, that I haven't enjoyed in many years. Right now, on television, I can count things really worth seeing on just one hand and this show is finger number one.
  11. Dec 17, 2012
    Still a good show but its all getting a bit silly ...and Claire Danes character is waay to over - emotional and weepy...especially for a so-called CIA agent. The romance that is on and off again between the 2 main protagonists makes little sense also.
  12. Nov 26, 2012
    This show gets better and better with each episode. I was a bit skeptical at first on how far they could take a story line about an American Hero turned traitor, but they continue to amaze me on the direction they are taking. Great acting, great story, great suspense, great characters.
  13. Dec 31, 2012
    More interesting, a best screenplay and much more adrenaline turns Homeland return in the most expected show of 2012. Claire Danes gives us a lesson of acting. This show is growing constantly.
  14. Dec 17, 2012
    This season was complete crap, Brody should have died in season 1 and the characters should have moved now the show has become a forced and horrible love story instead of a spy story
  15. Oct 1, 2012
    The best show on Tv is back and is better than ever, New tist and turns that you would have never expected. Homeland Season 2 is definitely going to win Oscars at the next year's emmy.
  16. Dec 19, 2012
    Just like last season, Homeland delivers those tense moments that have you on edge. I thought this season's plot was again well done and the actors did a great job. The finale left me with anticipation for next season with a major question unanswered.
  17. Dec 30, 2012
    This is a shockingly overrated series. The plot is utterly, ridiculously beyond any shadow of credibility, with the shifts in character loyalties and incessant hints at hidden agendas a never-ending bore, and an absolutely hilarious, shockingly shallow take on the secret-service and analyst work (and I am saying this as one who, apparently, happens to know a lot more about it than the screenwriters). I should conclude that not in this world, nor in any alternative universe, would a whack-job such as the Claire Danes character pass the tests and clearances to land a secret service field job (this has nothing to do with the actress being horribly miscast, rather with how the part is written), and that on any sane planet, this show would be dropped by the audiences after Season 1 at the latest. I was hoping it would improve with time, or that the critics were right this time, but had to drop it after four episodes as a complete waste of time. Expand
  18. Oct 12, 2012
    Every episode is like watching a four-star Hollywood thriller, it's that good. The plot twists are insane. Brilliant acting all around- Claire Danes will be a legend for her performance.
  19. Oct 29, 2012
    This show is really above and beyond everything on television, breaking bad and homeland probably have the best writing and acting out of any show ever created.
  20. Dec 18, 2012
    I was a bit skeptical about Season 2 of Homeland. Frankly, my skepticism grew even bigger after watching central episodes (5,6,7), but the series regained momentum in the last four shows. Its biggest positive aspects are the bond that the viewer creates with every character, the constant suspense as to what their true intentions are, the unexpected plot turnrounds, and overall spy-movie atmosphere. Its biggest flaw? Sometimes it seems worthless to watch the whole episode, as the real plot-twisters come always at the end of each episode. Expand
  21. Nov 20, 2012
    This weeks show used a silly daughter to just fill time. Clair Danes always seems to be running around for no real purpose. Is she an agent or not. The entire hit and run made no sense except, that the poor girl got to throw Brody's daughter out of her house!!!
  22. Oct 25, 2012
    Homeland is one of the best shows on television right now. This and Breaking Bad are the only really great dramas on TV. The difference between the two is that Breaking Bad moves at a slow pace, wheres Homeland moves and develops are 100 miles an hour. Things are constantly being revealed, and just when you think the writers have cornered themselves, they easily write there way out of it. Claire Danes is the best actress on television and Damian Lewis is a fantastic actor. The entire cast can really act (besides the guy who plays Brody's friend Mike) and the writing is terrific. A great all around show. Expand
  23. Dec 31, 2012
    Homeland is one of the stronger shows on TV at the moment. The second season takes a few episodes to finds its groove again and suffers throughout from instances of Carrie's hotheadedness and inability to follow orders. I really struggle to believe that such a liability would be employed by the CIA, but hey it's just TV.

The events of the first episode The Smile are just about as
    contrived as possible to bring Carrie, who finished the previous season having electroshock therapy, back into the fold at the Langley. Once Carrie is back, the momentum of the show shifts hugely, one of two shifts in this season, as evidence comes to light that Brody is a terrorist and more importantly that Carrie's theories were correct. Considering the events of the first season and also Carrie's flirtation with suicide in State of Independence, this is a pretty major change in direction for the show as Carrie is no longer alone and frustrated and receives the support (and apologies) of Saul and Estes. The second change in momentum is perhaps even greater and brings Brody into the CIA operation to target Abu Nazir. These shifts keep the show fresh and intriguing and both are delivered in true dramatic Homeland style. The episode Q&A features some great scenes between Carrie and Brody, delivered with great intensity by Claire Danes and Damien Lewis. Even following Brody's switch, the writers manage to retain a sense of distrust and ambiguity over Brody's actions to drive the show forward. He clearly gets away with one act of terrorism during the final episodes but is he responsible for another?

Carrie's health demons play less of a role this time around, instead her relationship with Brody picks up a few gears and there are certainly shades of Romeo and Juliet, as two star crossed lovers who can never truly be together. Mandy Patinkin's understated Saul is one of my most favourite characters on TV.

Steering into 24 territory (unsurprising considering the show's writers), the season ends with a big bang in the fantastic finale The Choice with major consequences for all the major characters.
  24. Oct 3, 2012
    The first season of Homeland began with an interesting premise, and ended on a fantastic note. The second season builds upon the successful elements of the first season, chiefly the suspense and a strong cast of characters, both leading and supporting. It was truly a work of art. Claire Danes affirms my belief that she is one of Hollywood's most dedicated actresses. She portrays an individual suffering from bipolar disorder with laudable accuracy and pure realism. With a riveting start, I am positive that the season will continue to feed my fascination and appetite for excitement. I do not expect for there to be a dull moment. Expand
  25. Dec 28, 2012
    Aside from maybe one so-so episode this season of Homeland is just as good as the first. I didn't think it was possible but Claire Danes & Damien Lewis topped what they both showed in the debut season. Season two allowed more of the main cast to showcase what they could do, most notably Morgan Saylor & Morena Baccarin who both have moments of brilliance this year. This is the kind of show that comes around maybe twice a decade at best. Believe what you've heard when it comes to the massive praise this show has attained. Best show of 2012! Expand
  26. Dec 20, 2012
    Homeland is still one of the best series on television. In this season, the acting was even better, the Carrie-Brody moments were downright beautiful. There were a lot of twists and turns and they were handled properly. I must say that the writers of the show are so daring and great at what they do. Of course there were a few plotholes in this season especially in the finale but I refrain myself from calling them plotholes as they'd be explained in next season properly (hopefully!). So much happened in this season and I only hope for more in the next season and I really want it to be even better than the first season. Expand
  27. Jun 19, 2013
    This season was good but no where near as good as season 1. You have the same ingredients as season 1 but this year went a bit overboard. Good but hoping season 3 is as good as season 1, but the way season 2 ended, not sure if it will be able to do it.
  28. Jan 14, 2013
    Excellent First half of the season, the second part is strong, but adapts cliche's, weak plot points with a conclusion that's filled with unsatisfactory results .
  29. Oct 19, 2012
    Possibly the best show I've seen in my life. There is constant suspense, you never know what will happen next, and, unlike a lot of shows, it tries to maintain a certain level of believability.
  30. Oct 3, 2012
    This is a show that knows what it's doing. The writing is crisp, as is the directing. The acting is amazing, especially Danes, Lewis, and Patinkin.

1. Reviewed by: Tom Gliatto
    Oct 4, 2012
    The show hasn't lost its clever agility at building pressure-cooker suspense and then lobbing in a surprise. [8 Oct 2012, p.55]
  2. Reviewed by: Tim Goodman
    Oct 1, 2012
    Homeland is as riveting and addictive as when we last saw it, kicking off with no lull in the pulse-pounding action.
  3. Reviewed by: Robert Lloyd
    Sep 28, 2012
    Given the extravagances of the plot and the characters, that it feels plausibly seated in the real world is a testament to everyone involved in its production. But it is especially due to the actors.