• Network: Showtime
  • Series Premiere Date: Oct 2, 2011
  • Season #: 1 , 2 , 3 , 4
6.9

1. Oct 9, 2013
    Oh come on. This is more like a (very bad) soap opera set at the CIA than a spy show. In my opinion it has been deteriorating steadily for some time now and has finally become completely unwatchable.

Specifics: let's start with Carrie Mathison. The WORST candidate for a CIA agent in the history of fiction. Her behavior would get her thrown out of a Starbucks let alone a senior role at
    the CIA. I can't understand how this is supposed to be a sympathetic character. She is a goddamned nightmare. A loud, aggressive, annoying, drama queen idiot. Probably one of the least likeable characters I have ever seen. I also can't understand why Claire Danes has received so many accolades for her performance. She just contorts her face, sobs, looks confused and yells a lot.

Not that she's on screen all that much since the show now seems to be more focused on the love life of the teenage daughter of the terrorist from the previous show, and her gormless mother. My suggestions is watch this in a format you can fast forward unless you are interested in a teen romance/ coming of age drama in which case why are you watching a show about the CIA and terrorism? Go and rent Romeo and Juliet.

The only likeable characters are Saul and Peter Quinn, who actually do some spy stuff sometimes in between crises of conscience, usually about Carrie. Quinn is a bad-ass stone cold killer. Or was. Now he wants to quit the CIA because of the way they treat people or something. Saul is an insightful troubled man with the weight of the world (or at least the protection of the USA) on his shoulders. I was pleased to see he didn't chicken out of green lighting the only bit of action on the show so far (I thought he would). However Saul regularly puts his obligations to the country second to being nice to Carrie (who causes more harm to the country/ CIA than Brodie does), giving her lots of "one more chance" opportunities and apologizing to her for perfectly reasonable things (to which she always shouts her catch phrase "f**k you Saul!").

The plot itself has gotten so contorted I have no idea what is going on. Since last season the plot has alternated between everyone thinking Brody is a terrorist except Carrie who thinks he's innocent and her boyfriend, and everyone thinking he's innocent apart from Carrie who thinks he's a terrorist and stalks him. Brodie himself is apparently not sure and might have accidentally bombed the CIA. Currently it's the everyone says he is/ Carrie says he isn't/ stalker set up and Brodie himself is on holiday in Canada.

Writers of Homeland, here's what I think ought to happen from here: Saul gets demoted because he let Carrie ruin the CIA/show. He is ordered to shut Carrie up once and for all. Being thoroughly fed up with her bullsh*t Saul orders Peter Quinn to kill her. Quinn goes to warn her because he has a conscience now, but she is so goddamned annoying he ends up shooting her in the head and remembers how to be bad ass. Brodie is upset at Carrie's death and vows to bomb the CIA on purpose this time and the rest of the show is about actual spying where Saul (trying to revive his career) and Peter Quinn (bad ass again) try to stop Brodie (who has finally made up his mind that he is a terrorist after all). In order to do so they kidnap Brodie's daughter and put her somewhere very, very far away from the cameras where she cannot communicate with her boyfriend. Out of kindness they let her mother go with her.
  2. Oct 7, 2013
    Bring back brody already, I'm sick of seeing Carrie and Dana over and over again. The best part of the series was Brody; Dana is by far the most uninteresting and now she is getting the most screen time which is just ridiculous.
  3. Oct 6, 2013
    Season three is like watching a balloon slowly deflate. Where's the eminent danger? This season has turned an exciting story line into a melodrama train wreck. How many more Carrie meltdowns are we suppose to endure? Hey writers it's time to catch some bad guys. Get on with it!
  4. Oct 1, 2013
    Homeland could have taken the Breaking Bad route or the Dexter route. Seems like they have chosen the latter and the first episode is a disappointing confirmation of this. The quality the show had in its pilot season is, sadly, lost. It insults the intelligence of the average viewer, stretching credulity and trying patience. Hopefully this first episode is a minor distraction and things will improve in the coming weeks. Expand
  5. Oct 7, 2013
    The writers must be in college (freshmen) and have not developed a style yet. I am glad you asked that question because it seems crystal clear there is no maturity in this episode's style.

Season 3 Episode 2 may cause Homeland to lose the battle of keeping this show alive. Carrie losing her mind again, too much of anything is not good for anybody. Dana's character; Uh Oh it way off
    base. She must have some connections with the producers to keep her on screen so long. Sick of it! Brody's son, I feel for him, I would rather see more of him than Dana's character. And certainly more of Jessica! All I can say is go ahead and write this show off as the little Engine that could but didn't. Expand
  6. Oct 22, 2013
    wow i don't know what heppened this season but it looks like a mexican novella, this gets me bored..i think the show just can't get through no more....
  7. Sep 30, 2013
    I watched the season opener for Homeland last night. If anything, it's gotten less engaging as time has gone on. I dropped out of watching it last season because Carrie Mathison was a completely unsympathetic and unbelievable character to have that position in the CIA. It hasn't gotten any better. You know a show is bad when you root for the protagonist to get machine-gunned.
  8. Sep 29, 2013
    This show just keeps getting better. Season 3 doesn't disappoint at all. Dramatic, surprising and amazing actors and actresses. It's even better than season 1 and season 2.
  9. Oct 9, 2013
    The much anticipated season 3 of Homeland opens with a disappointment. The beginning two episodes lack the thrill, nail biting mystery and edge of the seats moments that made it popular at the first place.

The characters too add to the audience misery with Carrie's unbearable acts, which have become too monotonous with no dimensions to her. The supposed to be unpredictable Carrie has
    ironically become the most predictable character in the show and sadly irritating too. Add Dana's soapy over the top drama and the show has made a seamless transformation from the mystery thriller to a soap in the background of terrorism & CIA. Expand
  10. Oct 27, 2013
    So boring this 3th season. I am watching the 4th ep and stay angry with the romance of the daughter and his boyfriend. Mayba is the death of the Homeland!
  11. Oct 3, 2013
    Even thought there wasn't as much action or intensity in this episode, it was a very strong season opener with wonderful performances and moving scenes, which allows the season to grow. Also, when Damian Lewis' character (Brody) returns, the season will just get better.
  12. Sep 29, 2013
    Not enough TV shows are almost perfect in their entire first two seasons.One of this few series is Homeland.This new season keeps up the tension and encourages us to discover new aspects of Carrie Saul and Dana.
  13. Sep 29, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Homeland is back! Following the events of the season 2 finale, the show feels different, but it is still great. Claire Danes will win another Emmy and Golden Globe award for her performance in this season. I am interested to see how the Brody storyline will play out once he is back. Expand
  14. Oct 8, 2013
    Huge fan of seasons 1 and 2. Season 3: Carrie is crazier than ever, Saul is a bad guy??, Dana has taken
    her teenage angst and petulance to an annoying place!!!!! AND...where is Brody??? are you trying to kill
    the show?
  15. Oct 27, 2013
    Halfway through season 3 I would say this show has settled into being a fine spy vs. spy drama. There have been no big (questionably plausible) explosions and no big dramatic pyrotechnics just careful plot development, character development and slow, smart buildup to what promises to be more great drama. For all the complaints about the Dana storyline, people have to admit that Morgan Saylor is excellent and she deserves to be watched. I still want to see what happens to everybody. Most of the bad reviews here are barely readable or comprehendable, so 'take it from the source.' Expand
  16. Dec 15, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I have been watching the show from the very beginning. It had way too many unnecessary fillers i.e. the daughter, the son and now a new baby, please. Why wasn't abortion or contraception discussed when Kerry became pregnant. So the CIA gives its "heroes" any weapon or technology it needs but they don't have a few rubbers for them. Its time to tie a knot in the show and properly dispose of it.
    Thank you.
  17. Nov 7, 2013
    Disappointing to see that so many gave this season a low review after only a few episodes. They needed to create a transition, it has proved worth the wait. The focus is now less on Brody and more on a new story with the CIA, which has become as intense and interesting.
  18. Nov 21, 2013
    I truly believe the team behind Homeland is brilliant. They know how to tell a compelling story. It's always a joy to watch Claire Danes at her best. Although, this season seems to be more difficult to watch than the first two seasons. I have a feeling it is going to have a climatic closer for the final four episodes. If not, than this season has really taken a downward turn from the previous.
  19. Oct 1, 2013
    A strong start to new season. Now with Saul is chef, we see and more likely will see more CIA workers and that's a good thing for making the show real. Carrie, just kills it as always. We couldn't see Brody in episode 1 but I reckon he will stay as a mystery and reveal himself slowly. I love how the producers use the characters. I want to mention that there are lots of references to CIA. If you liked season 2, you're gonna like this, too. If you don't, Homeland is still the best you can find on TV. Expand
  20. Oct 9, 2013
    I honestly don't think the overall quality (which is excellent) of the show is any worse than in the first two seasons. I can see why people are making a fuss about this season. However, nothing has really unfolded yet, people are assuming the reasons behind actions of some of the characters and down-rating it based on that. Furthermore I think Quinn's character development has been great and we haven't even seen Brody yet. I am not sure if the show is going to deserve a 10/10 by the end of the season but I am certain it is too early, with a show like this to make a good assessment/critique of the show. Let it play out before condemning it. Expand
  21. Oct 13, 2013
    Season 3 takes it's time to deal with the emotional fallout from the devastating ending of season 2. Despite the slower pace and more interpersonal bend, this represents a show attempting to confront the atrocities of aftermath (other shows do it better, such as Top of the Lake, and Rectify) instead of continually denying the pains and repercussions of war. So far, my hats off to an action show who shows a little humanity.

(This review might display extreme bias, I really like this show.)
  22. Nov 17, 2013
    I was hugely disappointed by how this season went on for the first four episodes. Obviously, it focused too much on the irritating Dana story arc and it felt like the writers were running out of ideas and were just trying to stall for a surprise. The "Tower of David" episode, in which most of the duration was spent on Brody was also a let-down. But it all changed when the twist came up. Though I do feel like it was unwise to keep something like that for four episodes. From the "The Yoga Play" (episode 5) onwards, the show has been gaining back its momentum. But I gotta admit that this season is far from being nearly as good as season 1 let alone season 2. However, considering how great the show was for the last two seasons, I guess we need to understand that the show needs to have a "calmer" moments at times. And might I add, Claire Danes is the one keeping this show thrilling! Expand
  23. Dec 17, 2013
    What a shame this show has become a victim to the network overlords. The third series was clearly never planned for.

The first half of the series we have to watch episodes full of the leftover Brody family, they have absolutely 0 to do with the show now, but are stuck there and being used as episode filler. And when we finally get an interesting final 2 episodes, we see absolutely
    nothing of the Brody family, whats there reaction to what there father/husband is doing/whats happening to him?

And as if the third season clearly wasnt planned, the ending proves there was 0 intention of a 4th season which is being forced through.
  24. Nov 4, 2013
    The major story development and the performances of the cast didn't help this season's confusing new direction which could makes this season so inferior to its previous seasons.
  25. Oct 19, 2013
    Homeland has always been one of my favorite shows. Ever. The 1st and 2nd seasons were some of the best hours of TV I've ever seen. But this season has started to disappoint me. It's not horrible this season. Compared to other shows it's a great season. But compared to homelands usual standards im worried. I don't want this amazing show to start draining in quality.
  26. Oct 22, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The first four episodes of this season of "Homeland" have taken a very different route than fans of the show are probably used to. On one hand there is the aftermath of Dana attempting suicide and on the other hand there is the aftermath of Carrie's relationship with Brody. Dana's story is one that continues on the very complicated relationship between her and her mother, while at the same time foreshadowing the consequences of her relationship with her new boyfriend. This story started really well, however in this last episodes there were too many filler scenes that didn't quite give enough foresight to make them worthy of existing.

Carrie's situation is the one that has come to a confusing head in this recent episode, to much of the press's concern (as metacritic has headlined). I thought it was actually very intriguing and showed that the show was actually trying to put the viewer in the false world that Carrie was living in. Producer Alex Gansa told The Hollywood Reporter:
    "We started the year by talking about what had happened at the end of season two. Carrie and Saul are together, standing there with all of the bodies around them. Clearly, they are culpable for what happened Saul and Carrie together. As intelligence officers, the first thing that they would try to do is to turn this tragedy into something positive. That's what they went to work on the day after the bombing. How were they going to catch the guys responsible for this? A plan was hatched quite quickly in the aftermath of the attack on the CIA.

.....I was an amateur magician when I was a kid, and for me, the best tricks were the ones where the magician convinces the audience that he's made a mistake only to prove at the end that he's been ahead of them all along. We've been leaning into that idea a little bit, and hopefully it will have paid off in episode four."

With this in mind, it appears that the producers tried something very risky and kind of pulled it off. What was missing is one scene. A flashback to the planning that Gansa has mentioned. A 2 minute scene that would have really brought the payoff that fans were looking for.

As for Brody the action hero gone terrorist gone idiot is still getting cloth bags put over his head and shot at. There is still much that is unknown about his plotline.

Overall this show deserves a much higher score than 7.1 yet maybe not as high as the past 2 seasons. But there are still bad guys to catch, and Claire Danes continues to blow my mind with her incredible acting. It is yet to be seen whether the prestige is yet to come or not.
  27. Nov 6, 2013
    Wow! Don't write this season off too early. Just finished the 6th episode and the last three episodes were some of the best of the series so far. The only snag has been the Dana storyline. I have never cared for that character. I hope it keeps up this pacing until the end of the season.
  28. Nov 22, 2013
    It's building and I'm sure will intensify to the feverish heights fans have come to expect. Some people are upset with the direction the story seemed to have taken in the first few episodes of the season, but be patient, allow the writers to set up the story and you won't be disappointed it takes time to shift given the end of last season. From an acting and cinematographic perspective this show is a member of the upper echelons of television and certainly worth watching for academic purposes. Expand
  29. Oct 31, 2013
    This show has already proven to be epic; but Episodes 4 and 5 of Season 3 have really made it shine. Plot is steadily progressing on every direction, which makes the show even more interesting.
  30. Dec 20, 2013
    worst season ever.Carrie's over acting and stupid broedy's daughters psycho love story is really is bitter sweat pill to swallow Writters were badly exposed since they cant copy anymore due to the unavailability of season 3 of Israel TV show.They tried to add twist and turns in scripts by believing viewers that Carrie worked for Iran but its flopped and damaged the reliability of script and causing majority if fans do dump the show. Expand
  31. Aug 16, 2014
    Given the people at Homeland really didn't seem confident or have a concrete plan for season 3, they still crafted a pretty good season. It's the worst of the 3, but that doesn't mean it wasn't compelling or uneventful. Claire Daines and Mandy Patinkin once again knock it out of the park with their acting and the rest of the assemble delivered too. The story was still very compelling and the pace got better as the season went along. Thankfully, the Mrs and Dana Brody story wasn't that bad compared to season 2. They weren't as important this season and they were used a lot better. It wasn't dragged out like season 2. Finally after 3 seasons, Brody has finally died and he died in peace. They should have killed him off in season 2, but he was not in that many episodes this season. At the very end of the season, it looks like the show has a new beginning. It starts fresh next season and hopefully we can get the beauty like we did in season 1 and in parts of 2. Expand
  32. Jan 26, 2014
    Just started out waaaay to slow. They used the whole season to set up one event. I mean i like the long con and all, but come on. It seems like they had one good idea for the season and threw a bunch of crap in ther to fill time. I give it a 5 because in the end it really picked up, but i mean really in the END.
  33. Feb 12, 2014
    This show has gone off the rails so badly it no longer remembers what rails are. It's become a joke, having steadily declined episode by episode since the end of season 1. I wish I hadn't bothered.

1. Reviewed by: Robert Rorke
    Oct 3, 2013
    The third-season premiere [of] Homeland delivers a strong episode that repairs much of the damage done last season to this excellent show.
  2. Reviewed by: Jeff Jensen
    Oct 2, 2013
    The business of powerful men demonizing a strong, if suffering, heroic woman makes for layered drama. As usual, Danes throws mind, heart, and jittery chin into making Carrie feel real.... For now, Homeland sans Brody feels too safe, too conventional.
  3. Reviewed by: David Zurawik
    Sep 28, 2013
    Nowhere in the media has the moral question of such [government-ordered] kills been explored with the texture and depth that Homeland brings to [just] one little scene Sunday.