• Network: Showtime
  • Series Premiere Date: Oct 2, 2011
Season #: 1, 2, 3, 4
7.0

1. Nov 17, 2013
    I was hugely disappointed by how this season went on for the first four episodes. Obviously, it focused too much on the irritating Dana story arc and it felt like the writers were running out of ideas and were just trying to stall for a surprise. The "Tower of David" episode, in which most of the duration was spent on Brody was also a let-down. But it all changed when the twist came up.I was hugely disappointed by how this season went on for the first four episodes. Obviously, it focused too much on the irritating Dana story arc and it felt like the writers were running out of ideas and were just trying to stall for a surprise. The "Tower of David" episode, in which most of the duration was spent on Brody was also a let-down. But it all changed when the twist came up. Though I do feel like it was unwise to keep something like that for four episodes. From the "The Yoga Play" (episode 5) onwards, the show has been gaining back its momentum. But I gotta admit that this season is far from being nearly as good as season 1 let alone season 2. However, considering how great the show was for the last two seasons, I guess we need to understand that the show needs to have a "calmer" moments at times. And might I add, Claire Danes is the one keeping this show thrilling! Expand
  2. Nov 7, 2013
    Disappointing to see that so many gave this season a low review after only a few episodes. They needed to create a transition, it has proved worth the wait. The focus is now less on Brody and more on a new story with the CIA, which has become as intense and interesting.
  3. Nov 22, 2013
    It's building and I'm sure will intensify to the feverish heights fans have come to expect. Some people are upset with the direction the story seemed to have taken in the first few episodes of the season, but be patient, allow the writers to set up the story and you won't be disappointed it takes time to shift given the end of last season. From an acting and cinematographic perspectiveIt's building and I'm sure will intensify to the feverish heights fans have come to expect. Some people are upset with the direction the story seemed to have taken in the first few episodes of the season, but be patient, allow the writers to set up the story and you won't be disappointed it takes time to shift given the end of last season. From an acting and cinematographic perspective this show is a member of the upper echelons of television and certainly worth watching for academic purposes. Expand
  4. Oct 3, 2013
    Even thought there wasn't as much action or intensity in this episode, it was a very strong season opener with wonderful performances and moving scenes, which allows the season to grow. Also, when Damian Lewis' character (Brody) returns, the season will just get better.
  5. Oct 27, 2013
    Halfway through season 3 I would say this show has settled into being a fine spy vs. spy drama. There have been no big (questionably plausible) explosions and no big dramatic pyrotechnics just careful plot development, character development and slow, smart buildup to what promises to be more great drama. For all the complaints about the Dana storyline, people have to admit that MorganHalfway through season 3 I would say this show has settled into being a fine spy vs. spy drama. There have been no big (questionably plausible) explosions and no big dramatic pyrotechnics just careful plot development, character development and slow, smart buildup to what promises to be more great drama. For all the complaints about the Dana storyline, people have to admit that Morgan Saylor is excellent and she deserves to be watched. I still want to see what happens to everybody. Most of the bad reviews here are barely readable or comprehendable, so 'take it from the source.' Expand
  6. Oct 13, 2013
    Season 3 takes it's time to deal with the emotional fallout from the devastating ending of season 2. Despite the slower pace and more interpersonal bend, this represents a show attempting to confront the atrocities of aftermath (other shows do it better, such as Top of the Lake, and Rectify) instead of continually denying the pains and repercussions of war. So far, my hats off to anSeason 3 takes it's time to deal with the emotional fallout from the devastating ending of season 2. Despite the slower pace and more interpersonal bend, this represents a show attempting to confront the atrocities of aftermath (other shows do it better, such as Top of the Lake, and Rectify) instead of continually denying the pains and repercussions of war. So far, my hats off to an action show who shows a little humanity.

(This review might display extreme bias, I really like this show.)
  7. Oct 9, 2013
    I honestly don't think the overall quality (which is excellent) of the show is any worse than in the first two seasons. I can see why people are making a fuss about this season. However, nothing has really unfolded yet, people are assuming the reasons behind actions of some of the characters and down-rating it based on that. Furthermore I think Quinn's character development has been greatI honestly don't think the overall quality (which is excellent) of the show is any worse than in the first two seasons. I can see why people are making a fuss about this season. However, nothing has really unfolded yet, people are assuming the reasons behind actions of some of the characters and down-rating it based on that. Furthermore I think Quinn's character development has been great and we haven't even seen Brody yet. I am not sure if the show is going to deserve a 10/10 by the end of the season but I am certain it is too early, with a show like this to make a good assessment/critique of the show. Let it play out before condemning it. Expand
  8. Nov 6, 2013
    Wow! Don't write this season off too early. Just finished the 6th episode and the last three episodes were some of the best of the series so far. The only snag has been the Dana storyline. I have never cared for that character. I hope it keeps up this pacing until the end of the season.
  9. Sep 29, 2013
    Not enough TV shows are almost perfect in their entire first two seasons.One of this few series is Homeland.This new season keeps up the tension and encourages us to discover new aspects of Carrie Saul and Dana.
  10. Sep 29, 2013
    This show just keeps getting better. Season 3 doesn't disappoint at all. Dramatic, surprising and amazing actors and actresses. It's even better than season 1 and season 2.
  11. Sep 29, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Homeland is back! Following the events of the season 2 finale, the show feels different, but it is still great. Claire Danes will win another Emmy and Golden Globe award for her performance in this season. I am interested to see how the Brody storyline will play out once he is back. Expand
  12. Oct 1, 2013
    A strong start to new season. Now with Saul is chef, we see and more likely will see more CIA workers and that's a good thing for making the show real. Carrie, just kills it as always. We couldn't see Brody in episode 1 but I reckon he will stay as a mystery and reveal himself slowly. I love how the producers use the characters. I want to mention that there are lots of references to CIA.A strong start to new season. Now with Saul is chef, we see and more likely will see more CIA workers and that's a good thing for making the show real. Carrie, just kills it as always. We couldn't see Brody in episode 1 but I reckon he will stay as a mystery and reveal himself slowly. I love how the producers use the characters. I want to mention that there are lots of references to CIA. If you liked season 2, you're gonna like this, too. If you don't, Homeland is still the best you can find on TV. Expand
  13. Oct 19, 2013
    Homeland has always been one of my favorite shows. Ever. The 1st and 2nd seasons were some of the best hours of TV I've ever seen. But this season has started to disappoint me. It's not horrible this season. Compared to other shows it's a great season. But compared to homelands usual standards im worried. I don't want this amazing show to start draining in quality.
  14. Oct 22, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The first four episodes of this season of "Homeland" have taken a very different route than fans of the show are probably used to. On one hand there is the aftermath of Dana attempting suicide and on the other hand there is the aftermath of Carrie's relationship with Brody. Dana's story is one that continues on the very complicated relationship between her and her mother, while at the same time foreshadowing the consequences of her relationship with her new boyfriend. This story started really well, however in this last episodes there were too many filler scenes that didn't quite give enough foresight to make them worthy of existing.

Carrie's situation is the one that has come to a confusing head in this recent episode, to much of the press's concern (as metacritic has headlined). I thought it was actually very intriguing and showed that the show was actually trying to put the viewer in the false world that Carrie was living in. Producer Alex Gansa told The Hollywood Reporter:
    "We started the year by talking about what had happened at the end of season two. Carrie and Saul are together, standing there with all of the bodies around them. Clearly, they are culpable for what happened Saul and Carrie together. As intelligence officers, the first thing that they would try to do is to turn this tragedy into something positive. That's what they went to work on the day after the bombing. How were they going to catch the guys responsible for this? A plan was hatched quite quickly in the aftermath of the attack on the CIA.

.....I was an amateur magician when I was a kid, and for me, the best tricks were the ones where the magician convinces the audience that he's made a mistake only to prove at the end that he's been ahead of them all along. We've been leaning into that idea a little bit, and hopefully it will have paid off in episode four."

With this in mind, it appears that the producers tried something very risky and kind of pulled it off. What was missing is one scene. A flashback to the planning that Gansa has mentioned. A 2 minute scene that would have really brought the payoff that fans were looking for.

As for Brody the action hero gone terrorist gone idiot is still getting cloth bags put over his head and shot at. There is still much that is unknown about his plotline.

Overall this show deserves a much higher score than 7.1 yet maybe not as high as the past 2 seasons. But there are still bad guys to catch, and Claire Danes continues to blow my mind with her incredible acting. It is yet to be seen whether the prestige is yet to come or not.
  15. Oct 31, 2013
    This show has already proven to be epic; but Episodes 4 and 5 of Season 3 have really made it shine. Plot is steadily progressing on every direction, which makes the show even more interesting.
  16. Aug 16, 2014
    Given the people at Homeland really didn't seem confident or have a concrete plan for season 3, they still crafted a pretty good season. It's the worst of the 3, but that doesn't mean it wasn't compelling or uneventful. Claire Daines and Mandy Patinkin once again knock it out of the park with their acting and the rest of the assemble delivered too. The story was still very compelling andGiven the people at Homeland really didn't seem confident or have a concrete plan for season 3, they still crafted a pretty good season. It's the worst of the 3, but that doesn't mean it wasn't compelling or uneventful. Claire Daines and Mandy Patinkin once again knock it out of the park with their acting and the rest of the assemble delivered too. The story was still very compelling and the pace got better as the season went along. Thankfully, the Mrs and Dana Brody story wasn't that bad compared to season 2. They weren't as important this season and they were used a lot better. It wasn't dragged out like season 2. Finally after 3 seasons, Brody has finally died and he died in peace. They should have killed him off in season 2, but he was not in that many episodes this season. At the very end of the season, it looks like the show has a new beginning. It starts fresh next season and hopefully we can get the beauty like we did in season 1 and in parts of 2. Expand
  17. Sep 15, 2014
    La tercera temporada supone un bajón tras la segunda, mucho mas rápida e intrigante. El fallo es que la emoción no llega realmente hasta el capítulo 8, lo que viene antes de esto son amoríos sin interés de Dana y poco más, me habría gustado que Brody saliera mas. Igualmente no merece calificaciones tan bajas por debajo del 5, sigue siendo una buena serie. La gente a la mínima que se aburreLa tercera temporada supone un bajón tras la segunda, mucho mas rápida e intrigante. El fallo es que la emoción no llega realmente hasta el capítulo 8, lo que viene antes de esto son amoríos sin interés de Dana y poco más, me habría gustado que Brody saliera mas. Igualmente no merece calificaciones tan bajas por debajo del 5, sigue siendo una buena serie. La gente a la mínima que se aburre le da un 2 y se queda tan a gusto... Tampoco es eso. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Robert Rorke
    Oct 3, 2013
    The third-season premiere [of] Homeland delivers a strong episode that repairs much of the damage done last season to this excellent show.
  2. Reviewed by: Jeff Jensen
    Oct 2, 2013
    The business of powerful men demonizing a strong, if suffering, heroic woman makes for layered drama. As usual, Danes throws mind, heart, and jittery chin into making Carrie feel real.... For now, Homeland sans Brody feels too safe, too conventional.
  3. Reviewed by: David Zurawik
    Sep 28, 2013
    Nowhere in the media has the moral question of such [government-ordered] kills been explored with the texture and depth that Homeland brings to [just] one little scene Sunday.