• Network: Showtime
  • Series Premiere Date: Oct 2, 2011
  • Season #: 1 , 2 , 3 , 4
8.2

1. Feb 12, 2012
    While it does take a few episodes to get interesting but the show is really good. The plot is a little predictable at times though, A huge flaw imo. However there is a lot of action through out the season and the acting is great. A must watch show imo.
  2. Jun 24, 2014
    An amazing first season and it should have been the final season. It would have been the best one season show ever, but it still ended great. Best new show in a while
  3. Sep 18, 2012
    Good show. Worth a watch. Good show. Worth a watch. Good show. Worth a watch. Good show. Worth a watch. Good show. Worth a watch. Good show. Worth a watch.
  4. Oct 10, 2013
    Homeland is an original and intelligent CIA drama with a twist. The show doesn't focus on a new case each episode like the standard CIA drama, but rather focuses on one single case that involves a serious terrorist threat to America. Carrie Mathison, played by the wonderful Clare Danes is an Bi-polar, manic CIA agent who somehow gets the idea that recently rescued after 8 years Prison of War Nicholas Brody, is actually a terrorist. We as the viewer know she is correct, but nobody else does, and she has to prove it. The show has a unique premise and it is done well. It's intelligent, and original. Some negative aspects are, the worlds longest opening sequence, and the occasional boring episode where nothing happens. Expand
  5. Jan 9, 2013
    Just finished the first season (Jan 2013) and can finally comment. It's a classy, engrossing, silly show. The fact that it's well scripted (even if the plot is ludicrous) and that the actors are great helps overcome the fact that this is a rehash of Condon's "Manchurian Candidate," a novel that had a great conspiratorial brainwashing plot that worked in the 50/60's but one that wouldn't stand up today. Yet here we go again! I liked the twist of making Carrie lose her marbles just as she's uncovering the truth, and undergoing ECT at the end so that she has to (?) start from scratch next season (I know it's over and you guys know what I don't know), yet we all knew Brody was not going to be a suicide bomber so it was just a question of guessing why not, and we all know he can't phone Nazir without the NSA knowing and telling the FBI, and Brody is just to put together to have been a POW for so long, turned, taken on Arabic culture and show so little culture shock! Danes is great, and I love Brody's wife from "V." Yummy. Expand
  6. Oct 2, 2011
    I'll admit, I wasn't planning to watch "Homeland" at all. Since 9/11, few television shows have treated the subject of national security with subtlety, insight, or the slightest hint of moral complexity, preferring a lobotomized patriotism that flattens characters into stick figures, stories into lessons, and ideas into platitudes. Given that Showtime's new offering didn't strain very hard to distinguish its title from ABC's egregious "Homeland Security," I assumed it would offer more of the same, though with better production values. I ended up watching the pilot because of Damian Lewis, not just because he's talented but because he tends to choose challenging, interesting projects. And "Homeland" does indeed look as though it may stand comparison with "Life" and "Band of Brothers." At the center of the series is a profound and pressing question: is a rescued American POW the same man he was before? Or has he become a traitor of the deadliest sort, repudiating American values just as he becomes a national symbol of them? It's a question that is both ingenious as a plot device and profoundly important, affecting countries and communities such as the armed forces, as well as the soldier's friends, family, and the man himself. And, so far, it remains a real question, because, on "Homeland," no character's judgment is without problems that make it at least slightly untrustworthy, so no one who claims to know the truth actually does. Thrilling stuff! And the series does indeed have Showtime's customary polish, starting with excellent acting by principals and walk-ons alike. Lewis's depiction of surface calm and subterranean chaos is, as expected, mesmerizing; he can do more with a single cheek muscle than most actors can with an extended soliloquy. I was almost as pleased not to recognize Claire Danes as an unstable CIA expert, a smart, edgy performance that perfectly balances strength and weakness. My only quibble, so far, is with a few minor plot details that seem improbable--and, for all I know, these will turn out to be clever bits of misdirection intended to fool the likes of me. Otherwise, if the series maintains the energy and intelligence of the pilot, it should appeal to a large, enthusiastic audience. Expand
  7. Dec 20, 2012
    FLAWLESS! It was easily one of the best series of 2011. It had a very strong direction, over the top performances, great writing and brilliant twists and turns.
  8. Jul 11, 2013
    I don't really like it. It's unrealistic and predictable. I don't find it addicting. This does not deserve the awards it has won, Claire Danes portrayal of a bi-polar person is very unpredictable, I have a brother who is bi-polar and he acts nothing like that
  9. Jan 20, 2012
    Homeland has everything, great acting, writing, directing and interesting story telling. It's the first show I've seen in awhile that can hold a candle to the best shows currently on television: Breaking Bad, Game of Thrones, Mad Men and Justified. Claire Danes and Damian Lewis are brilliant, Homeland is brilliant.
  10. Nov 17, 2013
    Despite all the inaccuracies a lot of people have tried to point out, I still feel that the first season of Homeland was one of the best inaugural season on TV in years. Claire Danes' portrayal of the bipolar CIA agent is exceptional and all I can think of right now is "how the hell is she not a bigger star???" Because she should be. As long as the writers and producers keep the story tight and smart (don't mind the haters), Homeland will definitely be a classic! Expand
  11. Apr 13, 2014
    From the creators of 24, comes the thriller Homeland, a show that is much edgier than 24, but lacks the action we've come to expect from this team of writers. What this show lacks in action, it more than makes up for with an intriguing look inside the mysterious CIA.

It's no secret that the CIA is the spy agency in America, that seems to have a hand in everything, but what exactly do
    they do and how do they do it? Can they arrest people? Do they carry guns? Are they really spies? These are all questions answered by the show Homeland, an edge of your seat thriller, that takes you deep inside the inner workings of the most mysterious government organization the world has ever known.

Carrie Mathison (Claire Danes) is a CIA analyst, working in Iraq, when one of her contacts tells her that an American prisoner of war has been turned by Al-Qaeda. 6 months later, an American POW is discovered during a raid on an Al-Qaeda compound. The Marine discovered, Sgt. Nicholas Brody (Damien Lewis) comes home to his family, after 8 years, to a heroes welcome, and everyone sees him as such, everyone except for Carrie.

Mathison is immediately suspicious of Brody and puts her career on the line by deciding to stick to the man like glue, she even goes so far as to start a sexual relationship with him, in order to stay close to him. Brody is suffering from a severe case of post traumatic stress disorder, which leads him to do some very strange things. The big question is, whether he's acting this way because he's a terrorist or because he's been damaged by his time in captivity.

I've never been a big Claire Danes fan, because she has a habit of being eccentric and way over the top, but quite ingeniously, the writers use her weaknesses as an actress as a strength for Carrie. Mathison is eccentric, over the top, and unconventional, it's what makes her a terrific agent and very entertaining to watch.

Danes is paired with Damien Lewis who is just out of this world, leading to multiple awards and nominations. I've only seen Lewis playing bit parts in movies, but similar to Bryan Cranston in Breaking Bad, he's one of these guys, who comes out of nowhere to land the perfect role. Nicholas Brody is one of the most complicated and intriguing characters I've ever seen and it's his chemistry with Danes that really makes this show as good as it is.

It's rare for me to give a perfect rating, especially to a TV show, but the creators have taken the action and excitement of 24 and put it into a cable show, where they can get away with anything. It's edgier and extremely hard hitting, even though the action has been scaled back. 24 was about an impulsive man, who would do anything to stop terrorism, but Homeland, takes that same storyline and shows you what goes into discovering these acts of violence before they become a down to the second event, requiring the intervention of a Jack Bauer. It is smart, emotional, and will have you craving more. I literally watched the first two seasons in a week an a half, you'd think I'd have gotten sick of it by now, but all I want is for season three to be released, because this show really is that good.
  12. Nov 14, 2011
    You know, this is easily the best new show on. And perhaps the best thing that Showtime has ever aired. Maybe even including the movies. Because everything works out here. Last year the best new show was Boardwalk Empire on HBO. Now Showtime has tooken that delightful spot with Homeland. I am more than impressed.
  13. May 7, 2012
    The debut season of Homeland is an enjoyable and suspenseful ride through the modern post 9/11 world of American domestic espionage.
    It stars Claire Danes as the paranoid spy doing just that on newly-returned war hero Damien Lewis, in an above average 'is he or isn't he" thriller.

The introduction to Brody, for the first few episodes, is largely provided through footage from illegally
    installed surveillance cameras planted in his house by Carrie (Danes), this provides an interesting viewpoint which serves to heighten the suspicion on his strange behaviour in settling back into his much-changed family life.

As the action progresses, Carrie, not without her own personal struggles, finds it difficult to foster support for her theories within the CIA and risks everything by going it alone to investigate Brody up close and personal. Having kept the lead characters apart for the first half of the series, with Carrie always watching from afar, I was unsure about how the show would develop once the two grew close but I was not to be concerned as their relationship falls apart once Brody learns of Carrie's suspicions.

The show deals with some uncomfortable themes that are unlikely to go down well with too many loyal Americans, namely that the US is largely responsible for the terrorist threat it faces on its own soil, and I strongly doubt that many American viewers will be too sympathetic to Brody's cause, be it as it is based on Islamic ideals. The writers try to Americanise Brody's adopted ideals by having him use an American civil war last stand at Gettysburg to explain to his children that you should always fight for what you believe in.

The action is tense in places and strong performances are delivered by Danes, Lewis and Mandy Patinkin as Carrie's supervisor and mentor Saul. Once Brody's intentions are finally apparent, the final episode makes for tense viewing and features some superb acting from both Lewis and Morgan Saylor (Brody's daughter) at the moment of truth.

A second series is confirmed and the events of the final episode suggest that the action will switch from that of violent retribution to silent political influence, however with Carrie still on the trail.
  14. Apr 2, 2012
    Had I reviewed Homeland after an Episode or two, I might have rated Hoemland with a 10 out of the gate. I really thought it muddled along quite a bit at the midpoint and would likely have dropped to a 6, but having seen all but the finale to Season 1, I'll settle @ 8. In many ways Homeland is "24" with a brain, but at times it gets as loopy and unrealistic as "24" and as much as I ordinariliy enjoy Clare Danes, her character (or perhaps just her acting) was far too whiney and melodramatic. Good show, but I think the critics have been a tad too generous with their critiques. Expand
  15. Aug 20, 2012
    The word "Masterpiece" does Homeland and Claire Danes no justice. Homeland is one of the best dramas ever made, delivering amazing writing, stellar acting, and the right amount of suspense and intrigue to keep you hooked.
  16. Sep 5, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Really liking this show, but something is missing for me. I have always liked the performances of Lewis, Danes, Baccarin, and Patinkin, and they play their roles here just as well as anything else I have seem them do, but something of their characters just misses the mark for me. I find it hard to believe that someone could hide all out bipolar disorder from the CIA. The romance seems just to improbable to me. That said I keep on watching it. Expand
  17. Jul 26, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. What a rollercoaster ride. This show reminds me (in a good way) of 24. Carrie does some things that defy belief. Of course the reason she is so good and so bad relates to her mental illness. Expand
  18. Nov 9, 2012
    This is good stuff. Homeland is grounded, but knows how to throw in a twist. We also have some very good acting going on here.
  19. Jan 13, 2012
    Absolutely brilliant. One hour of my life that I am happy to be spend on TV. The entire cast is fantastic and Claire Danes is an amazing lead. This should be a hit at the Emmys.
  20. Aug 15, 2013
    Within the first few episodes of Homeland, I wasn't particularly impressed. Considering this show dethroned Mad Men after a four year run while simultaneously beating out Game of Thrones, Downton Abbey, and Breaking Bad at the Primetime Emmys last year, I was expecting quite a bit. Once I got toward the second half of the first season I was not disappointed.
    This is a smart, heart
    poundingly tense, ingenious spy thriller featuring an outstanding performance from Claire Danes as an obsessive, brilliant, bi-polar CIA agent vetting out a seemingly perfect war hero whom she believe to be a terrorist. The drama is high, the performances are brilliant, and the surprises are many. Season 1 of Homeland is an excellent start to an exciting series. Expand
  21. Feb 18, 2012
    An intriguing and engaging drama that is striking in its realism. The dilemma at the core of the story will no doubt keep many viewers hooked and the show does a good job of maintaining it throughout the season. The two leads are excellent, especially Claire Danes who plays an obsessive and tenacious CIA agent. The supporting cast are all given depth and contribute to the overall story. Each episode is paced well so that the story seldom sags and holds viewer interest. However, I can't help but feel that Homeland is missing something that would take it from 'great TV show' to 'classic TV show'. I haven't been able to pinpoint just what this is but regardless, Homeland is still one of the best new series of 2011. Expand
  22. Feb 21, 2012
    The premise of the show may not appeal to everyone on paper, but it's hard not to get hooked after watching the first episode (regardless of your taste preference), which is exactly what happened to me. This is probably the best TV series I've watched since the first season of "Damages". The writing is absolutely brilliant, the plot moves at a fast pace and the cast is terrific (Claire Danes was the biggest surprise!). Most of the characters are flawed in some way. However, the writers tell the story from so many different perspective, that it's almost impossible to describe anyone as "good" or "bad". The actors really did an amazing job of depicting these very complex characters. I'm wondering how they'll ever be able to top the first season! Expand
  23. Sep 17, 2012
    What started out as a very, very good thriller has morphed into a brilliant character study between the show's two leads. The most refreshing aspect is that it's not afraid to criticize where criticism is due with depth and complexity, and of course Claire Danes is just phenomenal. Certainly one of the best series on television today.
  24. Dec 29, 2011
    From my analysis the show is a decent premise with bad acting & not altogether the best casting and writing, but it does do well in managing to flesh out and use to their advantage American post 9/11 paranoia.
  25. Jan 23, 2012
    (This is based off the first two episodes)
    The show has an interesting plot. However the episodes take too long to really get interesting and when it does its usually at the end of the episode thus leading you hyped up for the next episode. The acting is great (as expected). I enjoyed the show and I cant wait to see what happens next.
  26. Sep 28, 2012
    If there were and 8.9 I would give it that, I can't give it a 9 because of reasons that I don't want to say because if I do i will ruin the first season for people. Regardless, Claire Danes is the best actress on TV and Damian Lewis is extremely good as well. I say it is the second best drama on TV behind only "Breaking Bad," but it was only the first season. "Homeland" may be able to get on "Breaking Bad's" level eventually. An excellent hour of TV. Expand
  27. Feb 12, 2012
    A dazzling debut for what was unquestionably the breakthrough show of 2011. Clare Danes is superb in a leading role as Carrie Mathison, a CIA operative who suspects that a returning american prisoner of war, portrayed by Damian Lewis, has been turned and is part of a plan to unleash a terrorist attack on America. Lewis is great but Danes is the star of the show. Mandy Patinkin is also fantastic as Saul Berenson. The story was an interesting one to say the least and I wondered how this series would play out because the issue of National Security is one which has ranged from complex to perplexed! 24 challenged it head on and soared to almighty heights so it comes as no surprise that head-honcho Howard Gordon was part of the set-up of Homeland. The writing is tremendous and you can't under-estimate how much detail has gone into every little inch of the show. Each episode is a stand-alone however they all play crucial parts in unraveling the overall theme of the show. The acting is of the highest quality but Clare Danes steals the show entirely, she just oozed class! The pilot episode is exhilarating and will easily have you hooked, eagerly anticipating the next episode. Most episodes are excellent and executed perfectly particularly the Pilot, The Weekend, Crossfire and Marine One. These all lead to a spectacular season finale which brings this dynamite drama to a memorable close leaving things perfectly poised for the much anticipated second season. Expand
  28. Oct 15, 2011
    When I read the first descriptions of this series, my first thoughts were "Oh my god, no." and "How stupid could a plot become?". I was wrong, as far as I can say at this time. What I have seen so far is well written, well acted, well cast, mostly thrilling and sufficiently credible. The only problem is that my gut feeling suggests that from here on it can only go one of two ways with nothing in between: Excellence or disaster. The creators either manage to pull it off all the way and make it stick without big holes in it, or it will fall apart horribly and implode upon itself.
    Considering where the base for the series was taken from, this is no surprise, since it is an expectable result of any such storyline transplantation without regard for the cultural environment of the original source.
  29. Dec 13, 2012
    At first I was pretty skeptical to watch this series, I thought it was still a series that dealt with terrorism again, the American house superhero who will save the world against the evil Arabs, but I was surprised by the quality of the acting in particular Claire Daines & Damian Lewis and especially the originality of the script
  30. Jan 9, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Well, if one is looking for a show similar to 24 but with more dialogue, then this is the show. It is surely entertaining. But then again this stupid american-patriotism and completely unrealistic plots just makes this show suck. Common the guy is "brainwashed" for 8 years and convinced to do a "terrorist" attack, but chooses not to do it because of some stupid phone call by his daughter. o rly? Expand
  31. Apr 2, 2012
    I was truly speechless when i saw this show. Claire Danes is terrific, her performance just compelling and magnificent and should get the Emmy this year. It is quite atmospheric, subtle and one of a kind. Epic. One of the best shows ever, the best show of 2011. Period!
  32. Dec 14, 2012
    This first season is remarkably well done, with amazing acting, great dialogue, and a interesting plot that is very original. Though slow at times, there was a constant stream of plot twists, and the season finale had my heart beating with all the suspense. Watch it.
  33. Oct 6, 2011
    If you are able to suspend belief that a blonde girl can walk around Baghdad, sorry, a CIA intelligence blonde girl , in the midst of the insurgency, then, this is the movie for you. If you are a fan of Breaking Bad where each detail is intricately woven then you will be disappointed . This is an American show for an American audience.
  34. May 26, 2012
    An excellent show which exemplifies suspense and thriller from real life problems and situations in our real world...................
  35. Jan 5, 2012
    Oh my gosh, why did I let myself get sucked into this program! I agree that it's not as "24" as one might expect from the title or commercials, but that's only because NOTHING EVER HAPPENS! It's not because this show is realistic or anything. There are still seriously preposterous plot lines going on here, they just travel in circles and dead ends with no payout for the viewer. This is not high art - you aren't going to learn anything about human existence from this show. It's just a series of dramatic episodes with a whole lot of climax and no resolution. The season finale was the biggest disappointment of all. That said, Claire Danes is a fantastic actress. It's worth watching an episode just to see that quality of acting on television, but don't let yourself get sucked into the plot, hoping for any conclusion. Expand
  36. Oct 28, 2011
    All I can say is, I watched 3 or 4 episodes of this and I was hoping it would pick up a little more but no it didn't so I stopped watching it it's to obvious that everyone is acting it's just bad acting and boring stuff the only entertainment in this is the Anna form V lol who plays the wife of the turncoat anyway that's it .
  37. Oct 3, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. To put it simply, this is the best new fall show. Damien Lewis yet again proves that he was more than a one hit wonder as Major Winters. His portrayal of sgt. Brody has stirrings of iconic character etched into its potential slot.. Well written and even better preformed, the ticks of a man who's just been brought back from the dead are performed with such nuance that if Lewis keeps this up he'll be looking at emmy's in no time. Daines is just as fantastic, in her portrayal of a bipolar CIA agent. No massive fits, no absurd outbursts, just Daines portraying a woman who is fighting for her country while trying to keep it together. The pilot keeps the plot to simply setup. No radical and insane ideas that you would find in shows like 24. Instead it plays like what one would imagine a return from the afterlife would be like for a soldier who gave his all fro his country. The writing is tense without pushing to hard, emotional without being throwaway fluff, intelligent without losing its gravitas. If the rest of the season delivers on what the pilot has proposed, I will be glued to it from start to finish. Expand
  38. Dec 20, 2011
    Interesting concept for a series that shows the other side of the war against terrorism. However, I feel this season's plot moved fairly quickly to the point that unless there is a huge twist, I can't see how much further this series can go before it starts to get redundant. Great acting though, and this season did have some very intense and dramatic scenes, which for a show like this I think is necessary to keep it entertaining and enticing to watch. I will definitely tune into next season and see where this show goes. Expand
  39. Jun 19, 2013
    This was a great show and great season, Homeland Season 1. This, Game of Thrones and Boardwalk Empire are easliy the best shows on TV. Wondeful and a must watch. Keep you on th edge of your seat.
  40. Aug 30, 2013
    Mature, ingenious and thrilling show that makes you think about an actual subject. It is also a great and really emotional study of character (Carrie and Brody) that makes you feel sympathy for the "bad" guy and also to want him down when you are in Carrie's shoes. One of the best shows in actual TV and probably the best of the year along with "Breaking Bad".
  41. Jul 21, 2014
    Somehow i came a bit late to this because of the CIA / homeland security / american patriotism - angle, but especially the first season is just brilliant with some very chilling moments and none of the **** i somehow expected. Must watch for everyone really.
  42. Dec 31, 2011
    Great show, That's all I can say about it, to me it is the best new show of the year, even though it faced strong competition, with the likes of Boss and The killing, among others. Claire Danes stands out as a very convincing schizophrenic ****
  43. May 14, 2012
    I once heard somebody describe this program as "a televised serial of 'The Manchurian Candidate in present time". Provided they were referring to the first-rate 1962 film; not the awful 2004 remake, I would be inclined to agree with their assessment. To put it simply 'Homeland' is a thrill ride of a show and the places it takes you (the viewer) knows no bounds. It isn't perfect and I found multiple plot holes throughout the first season but for the most part it delivers on its tag line and provides the thrills and spills of a decent espionage series. Expand
  44. Oct 2, 2011
    I watched the pilot for this show online, and I have never seen anything like it before. It is truly brilliant and Claire Danes is one of the greatest actresses alive.
  45. Dec 15, 2011
    This show is great, but a bit overrated. What I love about the show is the acting by Claire Danes and Mandy Patinkin, which is stellar. The scenes between them are wonderful. And sometimes surprisingly moving. However, what I don't love about this show is the Captain Brody storyline. The back-story for why he has turned is ultimately so disappointing that it discredits the whole show. However, the strengths of this show far outweigh the bad and it is worth your time. Expand
  46. Nov 28, 2012
    My dad got me into this show and its so good brody gets the babes and there are so many twists this season not gonna spoil it but ya watch this show its awesome
  47. Jan 21, 2012
    Awful and disappointing finale. Great idea became just another soap, with no balls to make things right in the end. Actors are great, despite over-hysterical agent.)
  48. Nov 11, 2011
    I didn't know Temple Grandin was in the CIA. Half a season in and I'm still waiting for this to go somewhere. Clare Danes is uncomfortable to watch in this role and for me, not believable.
  49. Jan 22, 2012
    Is it the best show of the year? No, that would be Breaking Bad. Is it the best new show of the year? Still no, that would be Game of Thrones. Is it a great show? Yes. The writing of the show is iffy for me, but it won't put you to sleep. The season finale was disappointing though. The acting is good for the most part. Claire Danes is great. It's hard not to feel bad for her character.
  50. Jun 17, 2012
    An Incredible show that will have you on the edge of your seat throughout the entire season. The Lead performances are Emmy worthy. Without question this is the best new show on television. There really is no reason not to like it.
  51. Sep 3, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Growing tension keeps you focused on every single detail, plus very convincing performances of the two main characters. This is an excellent TV series, one of those that makes people go to bed with something to think about. Expand
  52. Sep 10, 2012
    The best new show of 2011-2012. Fantastic! Claire Danes and Damian Lewis have amazing acting abilities and the teenage daughter actress is really good. Will tune in for season 2.
  53. Oct 22, 2013
    I was worried that the new season was a little bit boring, but after a couple of great reveals, it is heating up to be just as explosive as previous seasons. Well done Carrie, you are enthralling
  54. Dec 26, 2011
    amazing, simply amazing. i must say, i was put off from watching this for a while, mainly because i didnt want to watch some "america is the greatest country on the planet who can police the world" and "all Muslims and terrorist and should all be sent to gitmo" tv show. but after hearing so many people praise it i finally gave in, and im glad i did. i dont want to get into too much detail, but the show is incredibly entertaining sure there are some parts that you just need to accept and it can be a little slow but other parts of the show will make your heart really pump. great acting, writing and directing. highly recommend it. Collapse
  55. Oct 9, 2011
    Everyone has said enough I believe; I do not need to say much more than Homeland is high quality stuff, with some superb performances from some superb actors. Damien Lewis+Claire Danes+Mandy Pantinkin=Acting heaven. Even the kids are great.. Go watch it.
  56. Jan 11, 2012
    Just finished watching the season finale and was blown away at how good this show was. Best show of the year for me so far (although I haven't got to Breaking Bad or Boardwalk Empire on my DVR yet). This definitely kept me squirming on my couch. I look forward to season 2.
  57. Jan 13, 2012
    Combines with Breaking Bad as the 2 best drama series on television.
  58. Mar 26, 2012
    A really great show, spectacularly acted by Danes and Lewis, with the supporting cast nailing it all around them as well, and the writing is terrific as well. Character development is crucially made poignant for the two leads as they are pulled by forces they cannot control, and all these wonderful qualities lead to an excellent conclusion. My only complaint is that the road the finale took could easily lead to a pattern of maintaining the status quo, which is an unfortunate turn taken by its network-mate Dexter in its sixth season, but my hope is the writers won't let that happen. Expand
  59. Sep 22, 2012
    Instantly hooks you to the TV. The whole first season delivered amazing acting and an incredibly interesting story. Shows like this are really rare, the concept is really promising and you'll just love Claire Danes' performance. Definitely worth checking out.
    Although the middles of each episode tend to get kind of boring, it all connects well as the story develops and the ends of the
    episodes are fun to watch. Expand
  60. Dec 24, 2012
    Americans like me who lived/worked in an arab/muslim world would find it very hard to relate to this show. The Drama Homeland took an extremely delicate, serious and fundemantel problem facing the American/Arab/Islamic world, and transformed it into a silly and sad cowboys and indians circus show.

There are over 1.6 Billion! muslim in the world and for those like me who actually know
    arabs and muslims can share the frustration on how such an incredibely real world issue is sadly portrayed through the show's cast and crew. We have a lot to tell the muslims and they have a lot to tell us and they don't all speak in bombs language...

On the other hand, what in the world is wrong with our homeland security...?? honestly!? are we really that silly and incapable?
  61. Oct 4, 2013
    Intoxicating television eclipsed only by Breaking Bad in how well each character is drawn and acted. The situations are just believable enough to keep us on the edge our seats for the next episode. I do think choosing to blow up Langley came very close to jumping the shark. Excited for season 3.
  62. Oct 7, 2011
    This is the one to watch for 2011-2012. Gripping story line, excellent actors and a perfectly matched soundtrack. Think Eyes Wide Shut plonking piano but miles better and utterly relevant. Am ready for the next episode and cant wait to see where this goes. V's Anna showing a bit of breast too, what would would Diana make of that!
  63. Nov 8, 2011
    'Homeland' lacks pace sometimes. Well mostly, to be frank. But it makes up for that with the atmosphere and suspense.
    The acting is on the right side, the plot thickens with every episode and you sit before the TV just hoping for a break or solid evidence for Carrie. You can feel that this is coming to something big. What exactly is Brody's role in this is yet to be unfolded.
    Solid piece
    of entertainment. Expand
  64. Nov 25, 2011
    The theme was not that promising, i'm really surprised how amazing homeland is. 50 minutes? Looks 15! YES, that attractive. Love Claire Danes and her character.
  65. Mar 1, 2012
    First of all, i believe if a show gets on Showtime, It must be good, example A, Dexter. This is no exception. the premise is an American POW is found and freed. The CIA is noticing that threats are rising and an agent assumes its the POW. I dont want to get anymore in detail but the story is excellent and never really stops leaving you at the end of each episode wanting more. The only other shows that had me this way are; Dexter, 24, The Walking Dead and Breaking Bad (I watch a lot of TV, don't judge me). This has become one of my favorite new shows and I say you must watch the first episode, after that you'll be hooked. Expand
  66. Jul 20, 2013
    The show is slow and predictable. It relies too much on Claire Danes character unrealistic crazy moments. I have a relative with Bi-Polar disorder (which Claire Danes character has) and it is unbelievably over exaggerated. I was also in the military and the military part of the show is also VERY unrealistic. If you like quality television don't watch this.
  67. Sep 23, 2013
    First of all, I will admit that this show is great in many ways. In fact, it is great in most ways and for most of the first season I was obsessed with it. However, I absolutely refuse to support a show that essentially tricks me into thinking that it is, for the most part, non partisan. Soon enough I found that not only does the show lean to the left, it practically could not be anymore offensive than it currently is. The entire shows message is that radical Islamic terrorists are not truly villains and that the reason America is attacked is because of the "war-mongers" in political power. I am sure that this sort of thing does happen in reality, but the way "Homeland" portrays the whole scenario is inexplicably offensive. It is a vile tactic that makes the viewer want to sympathize with some of the worst scum on this planet. It truly is shameful that this show is even on television. I honestly wonder if the creators of this show actually are empathetic to the 9/11 bombers. One day, when your plane goes into a building or a bomb goes off on your bus, you aren't going to be pitying the poor suicide bomber. I could rant more about "Homeland" and its flaws but I think the message alone should be enough to deter most decent viewers. Expand
  68. Dec 19, 2011
    Arguably the most thrilling and ambitious series this year. Homeland comes packed with one surprise after the other, and with a tension that is constantly increasing as the season reaches the end. I'm uncertain where the writers will take the show going forward, but they have proven themselves as risk-takers and although some of the subplots were predictable, the overall story was far from it. The series succeeds in acknowledging that there's always two sides to a story, and it never forgets to elaborate on the characters motivations. On the outside it is about the aftermath of the war in the middle east, but what it truly explores is the war of the main characters own struggles and goals, and how they interact with one another. Expand
  69. Dec 14, 2011
    The worst part of Homeland was its pre-debut marketing. I had no interest or intention in watching this show based on the posters and bus ads I saw around town. But then I saw an actual preview and was suddenly pretty interested. Besides, Damian Lewis is fun to watch as well as the always professional Claire Danes and Mandy Patinkin. In regards to the more negative reviews of the series... come on, if you're going to nitpick over stuff like how realistic the military protocol is or whether or not a blonde CIA agent would actually be placed in Afghanistan then maybe television isn't for you. These things aren't going to ruin the show for you unless you literally are uncapable of a little suspension of disbelief. The story is no worse than the best seasons of 24 and as far as TV goes, Homeland is definitely better than most of what's out there in the National Security genre. Expand
  70. Oct 20, 2011
    Great acting, great directing, great suspense, great show without any patriotic **** very promising! Before watching the show I felt sorry for Claire Danes featuring in a TV show, but this might actually jump-start a comeback of her movie career.
  71. Dec 31, 2012
    The First Season of Homeland provided us a good dose of drama and political thriller. With and excellent performance of Claire Danes, who plays a CIA agent with bipolar problems, Homeland is the most interesting show of 2011. Although it may seem for moments very slow, it never lost its direction.
  72. Dec 14, 2011
    It may be slow moving, but Homeland is probably the best new show this year. I'd say give it around two episodes, though it isn't till later that it gets really good. If you don't like it after a couple of episodes, it probably isn't something you'll enjoy. Clair Danes is amazing as is most of the cast. With so many misses this season, Homeland is a definite HIT!
  73. Jan 15, 2012
    there is 1 true story for those who are unable to sleep. it is such a boring and slow moving story that you fall asleep almost after 10 minutes of the episode. not sure why such a slow slow movie...the plot is dull and the acting are bad. normally when i see the rating was set so high from the reviews, thought it was an exciting crime suspense thrilling show; to my utter disappointment this show is so slow that they spell out every details of the spying of the naval sergeant that just came back etc Expand
  74. Feb 25, 2012
    An absolutely spectacular show which keeps you hooked. Definitely one of my favourite series. Each episode was very engaging. Watch this if you like Dexter and Breaking Bad.
  75. Mar 9, 2012
    I have enjoyed every episode thus far and hope it gets even better. The plot is great and the twists are even better. The acting is very impressive and the whole cast fits perfectly in their roles. I don't know if another show could ever top the level of intensity and suspense that this show brings to the tube. Very well written and a plot that keeps you on the edge of your seat. Well done. Can't wait to see more Expand
  76. Jul 1, 2013
    Although Season 3 is yet to release (3 more months!) I can say for sure after catching up on Season 1 & 2 that show is one of the greatest TV shows to date. The first episode starts with a bang and really reels you in, I'd compare it to the addictivity of Breaking Bad. The whole first and second season carve deep and memorable stories in your head that will last a long time. Some parts of the show make you almost feel connected to the characters and their struggle, the characters are so believable. I loved this show to its core and cannot wait for Season 3 to air, you should catch up on this show as well, you won't regret it! Expand
  77. Oct 13, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This show has become completely unrealistic and absurd. You can't be a CIA agent and have bi-polar disorder, but if you do have it evidently you can go to the Middle East on the CIA's behalf to get intelligence for them from one of your former contacts. Revealing Carrie's disorder to her bosses killed the show after just one season. Also, what about the classified documents she had in her personal possession? She should be in prison for season 2. What a waste this show turned out to be. I watched the 1st season right after hearing about the Emmy wins. I thought if it can beat Breaking Bad, Mad Men, AND Boardwalk Empire it must be good, but I thought wrong. It WAS a very good show (not close to the 3 I just mentioned) but they turned it into the same unrealistic story 24 was. The writers & creators just play the audience for idiots while they count their money. How anyone could give this show a positive score is beyond me. I would give this show a negative score if I could. Do yourself a favor and don't waste your time even getting started with it. Expand
  78. Sep 29, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. If it wasn't for the main character/protagonist, this show would be wonderful. Unfortunately, because half of the episode always focuses on her, I can't recommend this show in good conscience. The lead character ("Carrie Mathison") has actions that are so poorly thought out that she wouldn't last 5 seconds in an actual CIA environment, and I know this without even working in government.

You know it's a bad sign when you root for the main character to get machine-gunned.
  79. Apr 3, 2013
    I couldn't get into this show. Way too many cliches in the subplots. It would have made a great miniseries though. Once I saw the wife was sleeping with the best friend, the troubled daughter and the drug addicted agent I bailed after four episodes.
  80. Oct 18, 2011
    The show is good. My problem is with Metacritics deeply flawed system of rating entire seasons based on the reviews of only the the first episode. They need a per episode rating and then a cumulative rating based on all of the episodes after the season ends. For a site like this, you'd think it would be a no brainer.
  81. Dec 24, 2011
    Flawed premise. This show is based on a flawed premise. The type of situations that take place in Homeland would have you believe that highly organized Muslim terrorists are sneaking around every corner of the country. The episodes are well acted with some nice moments as far as character goes. The characters are interesting. The main problem with the show is the plot. It's incredibly frustrating to have a show operate on such an obvious and silly premise. It's almost as if Homeland was penned by Homeland Security to make you look under your bed for terrorists. It does nothing to dispel stereotypes but only adds to them and uses them to influence the audience's suspicion of one of the main characters.

All in all
    Homeland is a huge letdown
  82. Oct 13, 2011
    Sin dudas hasta lo que se puedo de la serie pinta para ser uno de los mejores (si no el mejor) estreno del año, muy buen guion, buenos diálogos, excelentes actuaciones, y como si esto fuera poco uno se regocija la vista viendo a Claire Danes, que mas se puede pedir?
  83. Dec 21, 2011
    After hearing both good and bad reviews about Homeland, I decided to give it a try. After watching the entire series thus far, I found that everything about this show was predictable and poorly done. While Claire Danes has been great in her role, her performance wasn't enough to make this show even tolerable.
  84. Dec 21, 2011
    Great 2011 final. Good balance in characters. Real suspense, exactly what we would have expected from the beginning. And special reward to Brody's daughter who brings the emotion. The way it was moving at the beginning, I wouldn't have though I would take that pleasure in the end.
  85. Dec 21, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I think it's natural to want to like something that is critically acclaimed, but try as I might I can't get into Homeland. The season certainly has its moments, specifically Claire Danes raw portrayal of a CIA agent on the edge; and it was fascinating to see how the writers managed to create a plausible scenario that could turn a loyal soldier into a terrorist (although more time could/should have been spent to evolve this from plausible to completely believable). But the series invested so much energy around the "Is Brody a terrorist or not" theme, that I never really felt any connection to the characters. Brody's family were essentially card board cutouts for the majority of the season. Possibly a second viewing of the season, after reflection, could change my opinion. Expand
  86. Mar 29, 2012
    Not bed but after the 5th episode it gets a bit flat but i still enjoy it. Could be a bit more inspiring but the plot is just outstanding it really keeps the story running .
  87. May 23, 2014
    This is undoubtedly one of the best dramas ever put to television. There are no 'bit-players' in terms of characters, everyone is equally important even if they don't have as much screen time as the leads. This balance means that you will remember each character, no matter how insignificant they might seem. The show will reward you for paying attention. This is not a propaganda piece, there are no 'good guys' as both sides play dirty. A fantastic dramatisation of post 9/11 paranoia and the people at the centre of it. Expand
  88. Jul 27, 2014
    A great, suspenseful espionage thriller. Homeland will leave you wondering at every turn what happens next? Claire Danes and Damian Lewis are quite simply amazing, Damian in particular is spectacular playing a U.S Marine returning from Iraq who is suspected to have turned against his country. It's an unforgettable ride that will leave you hooked from start to finish.
  89. Nov 21, 2011
    Completely unbelievable, the pilot offers a young, blond girl in Baghdad -- without her face covered -- that is so lame. The acting is subpar and there's too much English spoken which makes it more unrealistic that it needs to be. Has a cheap television look to it, probably shot on subpar digital equipment. If you expect something along the lines of the seminal 24, Homeland will leave you very, very disappointed. Expand
  90. Oct 26, 2011
    Homeland is just bad.
    A CIA agent convinced that a man is a terrorist without any proof convinces another CIA agent with the most stupid thing ever seen. If you're a patriotic american that's your show. If you're a person looking for a good show then you'll dislike this.
  91. Oct 28, 2011
    I don't understand how the critics can give this show universal acclaim! It is dull and poorly scripted with lazy character development. The main female character is just a ball of cliches; wow, an agent with a drug problem who's promiscuous but great at her job who goes home and throws herself around her crummy apartment. Amazing, however did you come up with such an original and compelling character? Expand
  92. Dec 18, 2011
    Having just watched the entire first season, I must say that I am impressed. The show danced past the inevitable revelation of Brody's truth into truly surprising territory. The writing was consistently good, and Carrie had a rather tumultuous arc. Contrary to the insipid negative user reviews here, her flaw is not that she has a drug problem. This show has characters that exist, that feel, that make bold decisions. Do not trust the negative reviews, as these people probably didn't give the show a fair shake -- look at the reviews' submission dates. The acting is classy, so good in fact that I have no idea how the characters will enter season 2. I'm usually good at pegging that sort of stuff, but Homeland is so good that I really have no idea. If you haven't seen it, watch it now. Expand
  93. Dec 21, 2011
    Given the lack of any great shows on TV right now, Homeland does a good job of filling the void. It is not amazing, but it is a solid, good show. I likened it to 24 with less action and replacing Jack Bauer with an annoying Claire Danes. Saul is awesome, as are the Marines and the suspense of not knowing who is a good guy and who is a "terrorist". The show really gets into gear towards the end. I was somewhat disappointed with the outcome of the season finale, but it certainly kept me in suspense the whole time. Most episodes are available on-demand or online to keep you entertained in-between Dexter episodes or until Game of Thrones and Spartacus return. Expand
  94. Oct 9, 2011
    I have been hooked on it since the first episode. Homeland is one to keep you on the edge of your seat, and I wish my Sunday nights would come sooner.
  95. Dec 12, 2011
    I must agree with the fact that this show starts slow, and personally I started to watch it only because of Claire Danes, because I am a fan, and she is both beautiful and great actress. And as I say, the show starts slow until they found out that Brody is not a terrorist. After that, things starts to be very good, and I will definitely keep watching it until its very end.
  96. Oct 19, 2011
    I happen to turn to Showtime just as the pilot was airing so i figured i would give it a chance since there was a lot of hype about it and that Mandy Patinkin is in it. The acting is very well done and the storyline is not to complicated to understand. After i saw the second episode, i am now hooked. I love it so much i just created an account on here so i could tell you this. Homeland = 5 stars! Expand
  97. Oct 19, 2011
    Cast and plot are functional and highly likeable. Claire Danes continues to succeed every week to create a character that seems to be coherent and peculiar at the same time. Series has proven early to be both suspenseful and satisfying making it one of the best psychological dramas this fall.
  98. Nov 6, 2011
    Homeland plays at the pace of a well thought out plot, terrorism by numbers, reveiled to the viewer on a need to know basis. I too am a huge fan of Breaking Bad, but I believe Homeland is right on par with it's masterclass in storytelling.
  99. Nov 8, 2011
    I watched out of convenience and kept watching because of substance. It plays a careful balancing act on suspense and misdirection. The character development is very good and you actually care for the characters despite some of their actions and/or perceived future actions.
    This is the first Homeland Security type show that I have enjoyed and seemed to have substance. That being said it
    does unravel much like a Tom Clancy book but that isn't entirely bad.
    I have never been a Claire Danes fan but I like her a lot in this role and I would not be surprised to see an Emmy nomination thrown her way.
  100. Dec 21, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I enjoy this show, but many of the technical errors really bug me. What I really do not understand is why on earth did the producers of this show not consult any actual marines or intelligence experts?! Here are a few examples of some errors regarding the military.

SGT Brody's rank changes episode to episode. Watch his shoulder --- sometimes he is a sergeant (E-5) and sometimes he is a gunnery sergeant (E-7) or master sergeant (E-8). The writers could have figured this out with a simple web search.

Secondly, marine NCOs are addressed by their exact rank. If Brody is (as I suspect based upon his years of experience and apparent intelligence) an E-7, he would be addressed as "Gunnery Sergeant" or , more casually, "Gunny." Unlike the army or air force, marines use their full rank, in both spoken and written communication. In this show he is always addressed as just "Sergeant Brody," or simply "Brody." A senior NCO would never be just addressed by his last name; that would be very disrespectful.

Thirdly, what is his unit's job and why is he in DC? I get the feeling that the only reason he is in DC is to be close to the CIA and the action of the show. His actual position in the Marine Corps and his unit's job should be spelled out. Furthermore, it seems highly unlikely that his former boss, the captain who had the affair with Brody's wife, would still be in the same location in the same unit some 8 years after Brody's original capture. Most military officers transfer every 2 to 3 years.

Finally, an actively serving service member cannot run for Congress without first resigning from the military. Military members are not allowed to use their rank or position to gain elected office.

That said, I love the role of Carrie and the use of her mental instability. It really makes me think that perhaps the so-called "crazy" people in society are really the ones who should be trusted!

1. Reviewed by: Mark A. Perigard
    Oct 3, 2011
    What seems like a straightforward question--Is Nick a traitor to his country?--might be the most devilishly complicated thing to answer, and definitely worth pursuing in this complex show.
  2. Reviewed by: Glenn Garvin
    Oct 3, 2011
    Homeland is an absolutely riveting immersion in the paranoia and burnout of America after a decade of the war on terrorism.
  3. Reviewed by: Jonathan Storm
    Oct 3, 2011
    It's no lie to say you don't get this sort of stylish and challenging stuff very frequently on TV, adult subject matter treated maturely in a series that makes you squirm and think.