• Network: Showtime
  • Series Premiere Date: Oct 2, 2011
Season #: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
8.3

1. Feb 12, 2012
    While it does take a few episodes to get interesting but the show is really good. The plot is a little predictable at times though, A huge flaw imo. However there is a lot of action through out the season and the acting is great. A must watch show imo.
  2. Jun 24, 2014
    An amazing first season and it should have been the final season. It would have been the best one season show ever, but it still ended great. Best new show in a while
  3. Oct 2, 2011
    I'll admit, I wasn't planning to watch "Homeland" at all. Since 9/11, few television shows have treated the subject of national security with subtlety, insight, or the slightest hint of moral complexity, preferring a lobotomized patriotism that flattens characters into stick figures, stories into lessons, and ideas into platitudes. Given that Showtime's new offering didn't strain veryI'll admit, I wasn't planning to watch "Homeland" at all. Since 9/11, few television shows have treated the subject of national security with subtlety, insight, or the slightest hint of moral complexity, preferring a lobotomized patriotism that flattens characters into stick figures, stories into lessons, and ideas into platitudes. Given that Showtime's new offering didn't strain very hard to distinguish its title from ABC's egregious "Homeland Security," I assumed it would offer more of the same, though with better production values. I ended up watching the pilot because of Damian Lewis, not just because he's talented but because he tends to choose challenging, interesting projects. And "Homeland" does indeed look as though it may stand comparison with "Life" and "Band of Brothers." At the center of the series is a profound and pressing question: is a rescued American POW the same man he was before? Or has he become a traitor of the deadliest sort, repudiating American values just as he becomes a national symbol of them? It's a question that is both ingenious as a plot device and profoundly important, affecting countries and communities such as the armed forces, as well as the soldier's friends, family, and the man himself. And, so far, it remains a real question, because, on "Homeland," no character's judgment is without problems that make it at least slightly untrustworthy, so no one who claims to know the truth actually does. Thrilling stuff! And the series does indeed have Showtime's customary polish, starting with excellent acting by principals and walk-ons alike. Lewis's depiction of surface calm and subterranean chaos is, as expected, mesmerizing; he can do more with a single cheek muscle than most actors can with an extended soliloquy. I was almost as pleased not to recognize Claire Danes as an unstable CIA expert, a smart, edgy performance that perfectly balances strength and weakness. My only quibble, so far, is with a few minor plot details that seem improbable--and, for all I know, these will turn out to be clever bits of misdirection intended to fool the likes of me. Otherwise, if the series maintains the energy and intelligence of the pilot, it should appeal to a large, enthusiastic audience. Expand
  4. Jan 9, 2013
    Just finished the first season (Jan 2013) and can finally comment. It's a classy, engrossing, silly show. The fact that it's well scripted (even if the plot is ludicrous) and that the actors are great helps overcome the fact that this is a rehash of Condon's "Manchurian Candidate," a novel that had a great conspiratorial brainwashing plot that worked in the 50/60's but one that wouldn'tJust finished the first season (Jan 2013) and can finally comment. It's a classy, engrossing, silly show. The fact that it's well scripted (even if the plot is ludicrous) and that the actors are great helps overcome the fact that this is a rehash of Condon's "Manchurian Candidate," a novel that had a great conspiratorial brainwashing plot that worked in the 50/60's but one that wouldn't stand up today. Yet here we go again! I liked the twist of making Carrie lose her marbles just as she's uncovering the truth, and undergoing ECT at the end so that she has to (?) start from scratch next season (I know it's over and you guys know what I don't know), yet we all knew Brody was not going to be a suicide bomber so it was just a question of guessing why not, and we all know he can't phone Nazir without the NSA knowing and telling the FBI, and Brody is just to put together to have been a POW for so long, turned, taken on Arabic culture and show so little culture shock! Danes is great, and I love Brody's wife from "V." Yummy. Expand
  5. Apr 13, 2014
    From the creators of 24, comes the thriller Homeland, a show that is much edgier than 24, but lacks the action we've come to expect from this team of writers. What this show lacks in action, it more than makes up for with an intriguing look inside the mysterious CIA.

It's no secret that the CIA is the spy agency in America, that seems to have a hand in everything, but what exactly do they do and how do they do it? Can they arrest people? Do they carry guns? Are they really spies? These are all questions answered by the show Homeland, an edge of your seat thriller, that takes you deep inside the inner workings of the most mysterious government organization the world has ever known.

Carrie Mathison (Claire Danes) is a CIA analyst, working in Iraq, when one of her contacts tells her that an American prisoner of war has been turned by Al-Qaeda. 6 months later, an American POW is discovered during a raid on an Al-Qaeda compound. The Marine discovered, Sgt. Nicholas Brody (Damien Lewis) comes home to his family, after 8 years, to a heroes welcome, and everyone sees him as such, everyone except for Carrie.

Mathison is immediately suspicious of Brody and puts her career on the line by deciding to stick to the man like glue, she even goes so far as to start a sexual relationship with him, in order to stay close to him. Brody is suffering from a severe case of post traumatic stress disorder, which leads him to do some very strange things. The big question is, whether he's acting this way because he's a terrorist or because he's been damaged by his time in captivity.

I've never been a big Claire Danes fan, because she has a habit of being eccentric and way over the top, but quite ingeniously, the writers use her weaknesses as an actress as a strength for Carrie. Mathison is eccentric, over the top, and unconventional, it's what makes her a terrific agent and very entertaining to watch.

Danes is paired with Damien Lewis who is just out of this world, leading to multiple awards and nominations. I've only seen Lewis playing bit parts in movies, but similar to Bryan Cranston in Breaking Bad, he's one of these guys, who comes out of nowhere to land the perfect role. Nicholas Brody is one of the most complicated and intriguing characters I've ever seen and it's his chemistry with Danes that really makes this show as good as it is.

It's rare for me to give a perfect rating, especially to a TV show, but the creators have taken the action and excitement of 24 and put it into a cable show, where they can get away with anything. It's edgier and extremely hard hitting, even though the action has been scaled back. 24 was about an impulsive man, who would do anything to stop terrorism, but Homeland, takes that same storyline and shows you what goes into discovering these acts of violence before they become a down to the second event, requiring the intervention of a Jack Bauer. It is smart, emotional, and will have you craving more. I literally watched the first two seasons in a week an a half, you'd think I'd have gotten sick of it by now, but all I want is for season three to be released, because this show really is that good.
  6. Oct 10, 2013
    Homeland is an original and intelligent CIA drama with a twist. The show doesn't focus on a new case each episode like the standard CIA drama, but rather focuses on one single case that involves a serious terrorist threat to America. Carrie Mathison, played by the wonderful Clare Danes is an Bi-polar, manic CIA agent who somehow gets the idea that recently rescued after 8 years Prison ofHomeland is an original and intelligent CIA drama with a twist. The show doesn't focus on a new case each episode like the standard CIA drama, but rather focuses on one single case that involves a serious terrorist threat to America. Carrie Mathison, played by the wonderful Clare Danes is an Bi-polar, manic CIA agent who somehow gets the idea that recently rescued after 8 years Prison of War Nicholas Brody, is actually a terrorist. We as the viewer know she is correct, but nobody else does, and she has to prove it. The show has a unique premise and it is done well. It's intelligent, and original. Some negative aspects are, the worlds longest opening sequence, and the occasional boring episode where nothing happens. Expand
  7. Apr 2, 2012
    Had I reviewed Homeland after an Episode or two, I might have rated Hoemland with a 10 out of the gate. I really thought it muddled along quite a bit at the midpoint and would likely have dropped to a 6, but having seen all but the finale to Season 1, I'll settle @ 8. In many ways Homeland is "24" with a brain, but at times it gets as loopy and unrealistic as "24" and as much as IHad I reviewed Homeland after an Episode or two, I might have rated Hoemland with a 10 out of the gate. I really thought it muddled along quite a bit at the midpoint and would likely have dropped to a 6, but having seen all but the finale to Season 1, I'll settle @ 8. In many ways Homeland is "24" with a brain, but at times it gets as loopy and unrealistic as "24" and as much as I ordinariliy enjoy Clare Danes, her character (or perhaps just her acting) was far too whiney and melodramatic. Good show, but I think the critics have been a tad too generous with their critiques. Expand
  8. Jul 11, 2013
    I don't really like it. It's unrealistic and predictable. I don't find it addicting. This does not deserve the awards it has won, Claire Danes portrayal of a bi-polar person is very unpredictable, I have a brother who is bi-polar and he acts nothing like that
  9. Dec 20, 2012
    FLAWLESS! It was easily one of the best series of 2011. It had a very strong direction, over the top performances, great writing and brilliant twists and turns.
  10. Sep 5, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Really liking this show, but something is missing for me. I have always liked the performances of Lewis, Danes, Baccarin, and Patinkin, and they play their roles here just as well as anything else I have seem them do, but something of their characters just misses the mark for me. I find it hard to believe that someone could hide all out bipolar disorder from the CIA. The romance seems just to improbable to me. That said I keep on watching it. Expand
  11. Jul 26, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. What a rollercoaster ride. This show reminds me (in a good way) of 24. Carrie does some things that defy belief. Of course the reason she is so good and so bad relates to her mental illness. Expand
  12. Jan 20, 2012
    Homeland has everything, great acting, writing, directing and interesting story telling. It's the first show I've seen in awhile that can hold a candle to the best shows currently on television: Breaking Bad, Game of Thrones, Mad Men and Justified. Claire Danes and Damian Lewis are brilliant, Homeland is brilliant.
  13. Nov 17, 2013
    Despite all the inaccuracies a lot of people have tried to point out, I still feel that the first season of Homeland was one of the best inaugural season on TV in years. Claire Danes' portrayal of the bipolar CIA agent is exceptional and all I can think of right now is "how the hell is she not a bigger star???" Because she should be. As long as the writers and producers keep the storyDespite all the inaccuracies a lot of people have tried to point out, I still feel that the first season of Homeland was one of the best inaugural season on TV in years. Claire Danes' portrayal of the bipolar CIA agent is exceptional and all I can think of right now is "how the hell is she not a bigger star???" Because she should be. As long as the writers and producers keep the story tight and smart (don't mind the haters), Homeland will definitely be a classic! Expand
  14. Nov 14, 2011
    You know, this is easily the best new show on. And perhaps the best thing that Showtime has ever aired. Maybe even including the movies. Because everything works out here. Last year the best new show was Boardwalk Empire on HBO. Now Showtime has tooken that delightful spot with Homeland. I am more than impressed.
  15. May 7, 2012
    The debut season of Homeland is an enjoyable and suspenseful ride through the modern post 9/11 world of American domestic espionage.
    It stars Claire Danes as the paranoid spy doing just that on newly-returned war hero Damien Lewis, in an above average 'is he or isn't he" thriller.

The introduction to Brody, for the first few episodes, is largely provided through footage from illegally installed surveillance cameras planted in his house by Carrie (Danes), this provides an interesting viewpoint which serves to heighten the suspicion on his strange behaviour in settling back into his much-changed family life.

As the action progresses, Carrie, not without her own personal struggles, finds it difficult to foster support for her theories within the CIA and risks everything by going it alone to investigate Brody up close and personal. Having kept the lead characters apart for the first half of the series, with Carrie always watching from afar, I was unsure about how the show would develop once the two grew close but I was not to be concerned as their relationship falls apart once Brody learns of Carrie's suspicions.

The show deals with some uncomfortable themes that are unlikely to go down well with too many loyal Americans, namely that the US is largely responsible for the terrorist threat it faces on its own soil, and I strongly doubt that many American viewers will be too sympathetic to Brody's cause, be it as it is based on Islamic ideals. The writers try to Americanise Brody's adopted ideals by having him use an American civil war last stand at Gettysburg to explain to his children that you should always fight for what you believe in.

The action is tense in places and strong performances are delivered by Danes, Lewis and Mandy Patinkin as Carrie's supervisor and mentor Saul. Once Brody's intentions are finally apparent, the final episode makes for tense viewing and features some superb acting from both Lewis and Morgan Saylor (Brody's daughter) at the moment of truth.

A second series is confirmed and the events of the final episode suggest that the action will switch from that of violent retribution to silent political influence, however with Carrie still on the trail.
  16. Feb 21, 2012
    The premise of the show may not appeal to everyone on paper, but it's hard not to get hooked after watching the first episode (regardless of your taste preference), which is exactly what happened to me. This is probably the best TV series I've watched since the first season of "Damages". The writing is absolutely brilliant, the plot moves at a fast pace and the cast is terrific (ClaireThe premise of the show may not appeal to everyone on paper, but it's hard not to get hooked after watching the first episode (regardless of your taste preference), which is exactly what happened to me. This is probably the best TV series I've watched since the first season of "Damages". The writing is absolutely brilliant, the plot moves at a fast pace and the cast is terrific (Claire Danes was the biggest surprise!). Most of the characters are flawed in some way. However, the writers tell the story from so many different perspective, that it's almost impossible to describe anyone as "good" or "bad". The actors really did an amazing job of depicting these very complex characters. I'm wondering how they'll ever be able to top the first season! Expand
  17. Aug 20, 2012
    The word "Masterpiece" does Homeland and Claire Danes no justice. Homeland is one of the best dramas ever made, delivering amazing writing, stellar acting, and the right amount of suspense and intrigue to keep you hooked.
  18. Nov 9, 2012
    This is good stuff. Homeland is grounded, but knows how to throw in a twist. We also have some very good acting going on here.
  19. Jan 13, 2012
    Absolutely brilliant. One hour of my life that I am happy to be spend on TV. The entire cast is fantastic and Claire Danes is an amazing lead. This should be a hit at the Emmys.
  20. Oct 15, 2011
    When I read the first descriptions of this series, my first thoughts were "Oh my god, no." and "How stupid could a plot become?". I was wrong, as far as I can say at this time. What I have seen so far is well written, well acted, well cast, mostly thrilling and sufficiently credible. The only problem is that my gut feeling suggests that from here on it can only go one of two ways withWhen I read the first descriptions of this series, my first thoughts were "Oh my god, no." and "How stupid could a plot become?". I was wrong, as far as I can say at this time. What I have seen so far is well written, well acted, well cast, mostly thrilling and sufficiently credible. The only problem is that my gut feeling suggests that from here on it can only go one of two ways with nothing in between: Excellence or disaster. The creators either manage to pull it off all the way and make it stick without big holes in it, or it will fall apart horribly and implode upon itself.
    Considering where the base for the series was taken from, this is no surprise, since it is an expectable result of any such storyline transplantation without regard for the cultural environment of the original source.
  21. Feb 18, 2012
    An intriguing and engaging drama that is striking in its realism. The dilemma at the core of the story will no doubt keep many viewers hooked and the show does a good job of maintaining it throughout the season. The two leads are excellent, especially Claire Danes who plays an obsessive and tenacious CIA agent. The supporting cast are all given depth and contribute to the overall story.An intriguing and engaging drama that is striking in its realism. The dilemma at the core of the story will no doubt keep many viewers hooked and the show does a good job of maintaining it throughout the season. The two leads are excellent, especially Claire Danes who plays an obsessive and tenacious CIA agent. The supporting cast are all given depth and contribute to the overall story. Each episode is paced well so that the story seldom sags and holds viewer interest. However, I can't help but feel that Homeland is missing something that would take it from 'great TV show' to 'classic TV show'. I haven't been able to pinpoint just what this is but regardless, Homeland is still one of the best new series of 2011. Expand
  22. Jan 9, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Well, if one is looking for a show similar to 24 but with more dialogue, then this is the show. It is surely entertaining. But then again this stupid american-patriotism and completely unrealistic plots just makes this show suck. Common the guy is "brainwashed" for 8 years and convinced to do a "terrorist" attack, but chooses not to do it because of some stupid phone call by his daughter. o rly? Expand
  23. Aug 15, 2013
    Within the first few episodes of Homeland, I wasn't particularly impressed. Considering this show dethroned Mad Men after a four year run while simultaneously beating out Game of Thrones, Downton Abbey, and Breaking Bad at the Primetime Emmys last year, I was expecting quite a bit. Once I got toward the second half of the first season I was not disappointed.
    This is a smart, heart
    This is a smart, heart poundingly tense, ingenious spy thriller featuring an outstanding performance from Claire Danes as an obsessive, brilliant, bi-polar CIA agent vetting out a seemingly perfect war hero whom she believe to be a terrorist. The drama is high, the performances are brilliant, and the surprises are many. Season 1 of Homeland is an excellent start to an exciting series.
  24. Dec 29, 2011
    From my analysis the show is a decent premise with bad acting & not altogether the best casting and writing, but it does do well in managing to flesh out and use to their advantage American post 9/11 paranoia.
  25. Sep 28, 2012
    If there were and 8.9 I would give it that, I can't give it a 9 because of reasons that I don't want to say because if I do i will ruin the first season for people. Regardless, Claire Danes is the best actress on TV and Damian Lewis is extremely good as well. I say it is the second best drama on TV behind only "Breaking Bad," but it was only the first season. "Homeland" may be able to getIf there were and 8.9 I would give it that, I can't give it a 9 because of reasons that I don't want to say because if I do i will ruin the first season for people. Regardless, Claire Danes is the best actress on TV and Damian Lewis is extremely good as well. I say it is the second best drama on TV behind only "Breaking Bad," but it was only the first season. "Homeland" may be able to get on "Breaking Bad's" level eventually. An excellent hour of TV. Expand
  26. Dec 13, 2012
    At first I was pretty skeptical to watch this series, I thought it was still a series that dealt with terrorism again, the American house superhero who will save the world against the evil Arabs, but I was surprised by the quality of the acting in particular Claire Daines & Damian Lewis and especially the originality of the script
  27. Jan 23, 2012
    (This is based off the first two episodes)
    The show has an interesting plot. However the episodes take too long to really get interesting and when it does its usually at the end of the episode thus leading you hyped up for the next episode. The acting is great (as expected). I enjoyed the show and I cant wait to see what happens next.
  28. Feb 12, 2012
    A dazzling debut for what was unquestionably the breakthrough show of 2011. Clare Danes is superb in a leading role as Carrie Mathison, a CIA operative who suspects that a returning american prisoner of war, portrayed by Damian Lewis, has been turned and is part of a plan to unleash a terrorist attack on America. Lewis is great but Danes is the star of the show. Mandy Patinkin is alsoA dazzling debut for what was unquestionably the breakthrough show of 2011. Clare Danes is superb in a leading role as Carrie Mathison, a CIA operative who suspects that a returning american prisoner of war, portrayed by Damian Lewis, has been turned and is part of a plan to unleash a terrorist attack on America. Lewis is great but Danes is the star of the show. Mandy Patinkin is also fantastic as Saul Berenson. The story was an interesting one to say the least and I wondered how this series would play out because the issue of National Security is one which has ranged from complex to perplexed! 24 challenged it head on and soared to almighty heights so it comes as no surprise that head-honcho Howard Gordon was part of the set-up of Homeland. The writing is tremendous and you can't under-estimate how much detail has gone into every little inch of the show. Each episode is a stand-alone however they all play crucial parts in unraveling the overall theme of the show. The acting is of the highest quality but Clare Danes steals the show entirely, she just oozed class! The pilot episode is exhilarating and will easily have you hooked, eagerly anticipating the next episode. Most episodes are excellent and executed perfectly particularly the Pilot, The Weekend, Crossfire and Marine One. These all lead to a spectacular season finale which brings this dynamite drama to a memorable close leaving things perfectly poised for the much anticipated second season. Expand
  29. Mar 22, 2016
    Another first-rate cable series adapted from an Israeli format (following HBO’s “In Treatment”), “Homeland” rather quickly gets beyond its formulaic set-up and captures the Cold War paranoia of “The Manchurian Candidate,” where even a returned military hero can be suspected of plotting terror. If the first hour struggles a bit with a surfeit of moving parts, by the end, the show has laidAnother first-rate cable series adapted from an Israeli format (following HBO’s “In Treatment”), “Homeland” rather quickly gets beyond its formulaic set-up and captures the Cold War paranoia of “The Manchurian Candidate,” where even a returned military hero can be suspected of plotting terror. If the first hour struggles a bit with a surfeit of moving parts, by the end, the show has laid the groundwork for a serial leaps and bounds better than Showtime’s last pass at this subject matter, “Sleeper Cell.”

Overseen by “24” alum Howard Gordon and Alex Gansa, “Homeland” centers on a U.S. soldier, Nick Brody (Damian Lewis), rescued eight years after his capture by terrorists abroad. Yet despite the delightful optics for TV, his homecoming isn’t all flag pins and celebration.

Most suspicious is Carrie Anderson (Claire Danes), a CIA agent whose foreign adventures and take-no-prisoners style have landed her on thin ice at the agency. Still, she’s convinced the time interval suggests Brody might have been turned into some sort of double agent, conveniently released to orchestrate terrorism on U.S. soil.

In addition to that macro plot, there’s the micro one, as Brody’s wife (“V'” Morena Baccarin) — who hasn’t exactly been tying yellow ribbons all these years — struggles to readjust to a husband she thought she’d never see again, with kids who barely remember him.

Given Israel’s proximity to forces plotting its demise, one can see how the premise — originated there by Gideon Raff, who shares a writing credit with Gordon and Gansa — would have been especially resonant in that small country. Yet the series effectively transfers those issues to the U.S., with Lewis (a Brit who previously wore a U.S. uniform in “Band of Brothers”) especially good at turning his face into an implacable mask.

Danes’ character proves less interesting. Even a bit miscast, the actress is talented enough to marginally pull it off, but given her prodigious talent, casting her in this fairly by-the-number role (three episodes in, anyway) — despite a pill problem and some nice sparring with her mentor (Mandy Patinkin) — feels a bit like buying a high-performance sports car just to drive it slowly around the block.

Like “Manchurian Candidate,” “Homeland” does some of its best work via flashbacks to Brody’s time in captivity, sprinkling additional tidbits with each glimpse into the past. There are also some clever touches, from a subplot involving an “asset” close to a Saudi prince to MSNBC’s Lawrence O’Donnell turning up in the third hour as a journalist profiling the newly returned POW.

“Homeland” also feels more inherently commercial than most of Showtime’s recent dramas, and paired with lead-in “Dexter” ought to create a pretty compelling block.

Besides, after the deluge of Sept. 11 remembrances TV trotted out for the 10th anniversary, there’s something refreshing about a program that spins those apprehensions forward, even if the conceptual process required engaging in another activity that’s become increasingly common in the U.S. during the war-on-terror decade: Borrowing.
  30. Nov 16, 2017
    Season one is a 10, season 2 a 9, but by the season 6, we are at a 1, a sad leftist PC mess. Pathetic end to a once great show. I wish this show would have recognized the climate it was originally made in and left on a high note.

1. Reviewed by: Mark A. Perigard
    Oct 3, 2011
    What seems like a straightforward question--Is Nick a traitor to his country?--might be the most devilishly complicated thing to answer, and definitely worth pursuing in this complex show.
  2. Reviewed by: Glenn Garvin
    Oct 3, 2011
    Homeland is an absolutely riveting immersion in the paranoia and burnout of America after a decade of the war on terrorism.
  3. Reviewed by: Jonathan Storm
    Oct 3, 2011
    It's no lie to say you don't get this sort of stylish and challenging stuff very frequently on TV, adult subject matter treated maturely in a series that makes you squirm and think.