• Network: CBS
  • Series Premiere Date: Sep 23, 2013
  • Season #: 1
6.0

1. Sep 24, 2013
    The opener left me flat. I could not get interested in the mystery and nor the family problems. It does not meet the threshold of being compelling enough for me to suspend disbelief. Just not very interesting.
  2. Sep 23, 2013
    What little promise is shown during the beginning of the show is killed during the painfully slow second half. Plot doesn't get interesting, Side plots are generic, and it really fails to capture you the way good dramas do. That being said, It's not a terrible show but I wouldn't go into it with high hopes either. I'd give it another episode or two to see if it improves but if it doesn't then I am done with it. Collapse
  3. Oct 23, 2013
    Although the acting isn't bad, the plot lines are increasingly contrived and illogical common sense would be a super power in this universe. A single 911 call could and should have ended the show on several occasions already. Time doesn't pass consistently for the characters either. Last week, after a lengthy high speed car chase (presumably) away from home and the bus depot, the "bad guys" return to the house within minutes to force a dramatic return. I had hoped the "willing suspension of belief" necessary to buy into the show would be limited to a convoluted plot to kill the president, but it has extending to implausible physics (time dilation, a gut shot to the abdomen is "through and through" without hitting any organs, distances change) and outright stupidity of the lead characters. I'm done with this one. Expand
  4. Nov 2, 2013
    The show unfortunately has sloppy writing. There's too many situations where either the characters or audience have to play dumb in order for the plot to continue.

In other words, it's your basic filler show. It's not going to wow you with anything new.
  5. Oct 24, 2013
    Though the start of this program had promise not as a continuing series, though it is getting more and more implausible. The doc carries a complete defibrillator around?? And if he was bleeding out, without IV fluids or blood, he would not have been resuscitated. Sorry, this "series" is going downhill fast!
  6. Nov 4, 2013
    I was sort of excited to see Tony Colette. But the show is just so boring. The pilot was dynamic and premise was promising, but it went downhill almost immediately afterwards. Last episode (6) was so bad and predictable, I'm done with this show.
  7. Dec 19, 2013
    If you are willing to check your common sense at the door, this show just about manages to hold your attention for the length of each episode. Although there are plenty of times where you will find yourself embarrassed for allowing it to do so.

If it weren't for a relatively strong opening first few episodes I doubt many people would have the patience to sit through some of the
    infuriatingly irritating choices that these characters make as the series progresses.

The weakness of the the writing team really begins to show as they attempt to flesh out the series with an implausible grander conspiracy. I just hope the show has the dignity not to protract what should have been a 2-hour movie for a further second series.
  8. Apr 9, 2014
    Hostages is a perfect example of a seies out staying its welcome. What started out as fresh and exciting, albeit still ludicrous has become laughably ridiculous. I started out by giving this series an 8, but since it has gone on and on my rating has dropped to 4. I have 1episode left to view, but I don't think there will be any rallying for me to improve my thoughts at this late stage. I will just be grateful for it to end PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Expand
  9. Dec 3, 2013
    It's like someone ate bad beans and farted a thousand bad cliches. All that remains is McDermott and his leather jacket. High school film students would have done a better job, and as a matter of fact are probably using this as a lesson in what never to do.
  10. Nov 12, 2013
    The writing is unrealistic and verging on cartoonish. The Sanders family continues to miss opportunities to get out of their "hostage" situation. They're not suffering from Stockholm syndrome--each has had plenty of opportunity to escape, yet they are portrayed as bumbling, ineffectual fools. All any of them would have had to do was to go to the press and the local police. Duncan's team would have been exposed as murderers and criminals, and they would have no more power over any of the Sanders family. The format is tiring and predictable. We all know by now that no matter what the Sanders family members do, they will be caught or stopped by Duncan's team, so why bother watching? Even the ending will be unreal and absurd, with the Sanders family finally getting out of their predicament by some cheap deus ex machina device and Duncan somehow surviving as the misguided anti-hero. Ridiculous, absurd and a waste of time--as much of network TV is. Expand
  11. Nov 20, 2013
    Watching Hostages...is not time well spent. I do not care for any of the characters. The daughter is pregnant, the son deals drugs, the husband is cheating on his wife (cant blame him though) and the mother is...scary to look at. This family has had many trials and tribulations throughout the series but I cannot find myself cheering for them to escape or breathing a sigh of disappointment when they almost do. The one person whose presence is felt on screen is Dylan McDermott. But overall, the acting is poor, the writing is unprofessional and it just seems to be a degraded version of...I actually cant think of any television show that I despise so much. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Vicki Hyman
    Feb 13, 2014
    Sanders' husband (Tate Donovan) and teenaged kids are each shielding their own secrets, uncovered by Carlisle and his crew--and covered up by them as well. Unfortunately, they're fairly pedestrian.
  2. Reviewed by: Robert Rorke
    Oct 3, 2013
    Ain’t much [Collette] can’t do, so when she temporarily foils Carlisle, we have a pretty good idea who’s going to keep the tables turned on this show.
  3. Reviewed by: Brian Tallerico
    Sep 26, 2013
    It’s well-paced and tightly constructed. Yes, some of it feels overdone and silly.... [But] it ends on a nice turn of events that make me really want to see what happens next.