• Network: CBS
  • Series Premiere Date: Sep 23, 2013
6.0

1. Mar 19, 2014
    Would have made a cracking 2-hour movie. I really want to like it because it's an interesting concept, but it's just a bit too slow paced, and too little changes from episode to episode.
  2. Sep 29, 2013
    meh. It's not that interesting, it doesn't help that Tate Donovan is in it. I mean, he's a great actor, but seriously, he's in everything now. It would've helped if they developed the character more to make him different.
  3. Oct 12, 2013
    The first episode wasn't as i expected but i gave it another chance and well i'm glad i did! Episode 2 and 3 did not disappoint! full of suspense and thrill which are my favorite genres! I want more.
  4. Sep 23, 2013
    What little promise is shown during the beginning of the show is killed during the painfully slow second half. Plot doesn't get interesting, Side plots are generic, and it really fails to capture you the way good dramas do. That being said, It's not a terrible show but I wouldn't go into it with high hopes either. I'd give it another episode or two to see if it improves but if it doesn'tWhat little promise is shown during the beginning of the show is killed during the painfully slow second half. Plot doesn't get interesting, Side plots are generic, and it really fails to capture you the way good dramas do. That being said, It's not a terrible show but I wouldn't go into it with high hopes either. I'd give it another episode or two to see if it improves but if it doesn't then I am done with it. Expand
  5. Oct 9, 2013
    Hostages starts out severely limited in where it can go because of it's premise and after the first two episodes I was afraid it wouldn't go anywhere. However, I would like to inform all of you that the show will go somewhere. The entire series will not be episode 1 repeating itself. The writers have a plot and know where they are going with it and hopefully it will be interesting andHostages starts out severely limited in where it can go because of it's premise and after the first two episodes I was afraid it wouldn't go anywhere. However, I would like to inform all of you that the show will go somewhere. The entire series will not be episode 1 repeating itself. The writers have a plot and know where they are going with it and hopefully it will be interesting and intense. That being said, so far, none of the characters have done anything to make me like them, and rather, quite a few have done the opposite. I will stick with this show for the time being to see where it goes. It's not great, but it has potential. I suspect it will be canceled much like 2012's Missing starring Ashley Judd which was SO much better, in every way. Expand
  6. Sep 30, 2013
    I tried to like this. Right away, you feel it's too over the top. It's yet another show where everyone is in on a conspiracy and there are conspiracies inside the conspiracy. But 20 minutes into the second show, we've got the assasination postponed two weeks, and you can see they're already trying to stretch this thing out, and it's annoying and depressing and implausible. So ready toI tried to like this. Right away, you feel it's too over the top. It's yet another show where everyone is in on a conspiracy and there are conspiracies inside the conspiracy. But 20 minutes into the second show, we've got the assasination postponed two weeks, and you can see they're already trying to stretch this thing out, and it's annoying and depressing and implausible. So ready to never think about this show again. Bye. Expand
  7. Oct 29, 2013
    Is this the dumbest show ever? it's up there. as unrealistic as it gets. dumb mistakes all around. silly 'hints' at the hostage situation unraveling, but foiled by one man? another analysis of stupid human beings doing dumb things in a show, makes us all look stupid...
  8. Jan 8, 2014
    Usually anything with "Jerry Bruckheimer" is a total utter show. I've finished the series so I think I can come up with a accurate review of the show.

This show is as Cliché as it gets. The writing is dull, the script is poorly written and it is as predictable as it seems. You have the show supposed to be taken seriously when a Colonel blatantly saying on the phone "Kill our friend on Pennsylvania avenue" and a President's Chief of Staff dropping dead with out any suspicion whatsoever? These are the kind of elements that make a silly, dumb, and sad excuse for entertainment. I feel like a 12 year old could comprehend this show just as easy as me. The writing isn't different nor innovative with characters who seem to get out of anything at anytime. This show reeks of an attempt to be hard hitting when it is just plain silly. The only honest reason I watched the series is because the had a great set of cast members; well at least some of them were. I enjoy seeing Dylan McDermott, Toni Collett, and Tate Donovanon screen but the show no where made up for my time watching the show. BOTTOM LINE I did sometimes have myself sitting on my couch going "whats going to happen next episode?" so It was not a complete waste of time. It's a melodrama with some sort of energy, but for the people who seem to like a easy, comprehendible entertainment program these days **cough**the current law & order svu***cough* you will be at home.
  9. Dec 19, 2013
    If you are willing to check your common sense at the door, this show just about manages to hold your attention for the length of each episode. Although there are plenty of times where you will find yourself embarrassed for allowing it to do so.

If it weren't for a relatively strong opening first few episodes I doubt many people would have the patience to sit through some of the infuriatingly irritating choices that these characters make as the series progresses.

The weakness of the the writing team really begins to show as they attempt to flesh out the series with an implausible grander conspiracy. I just hope the show has the dignity not to protract what should have been a 2-hour movie for a further second series.
  10. Apr 9, 2014
    Hostages is a perfect example of a seies out staying its welcome. What started out as fresh and exciting, albeit still ludicrous has become laughably ridiculous. I started out by giving this series an 8, but since it has gone on and on my rating has dropped to 4. I have 1episode left to view, but I don't think there will be any rallying for me to improve my thoughts at this late stage. IHostages is a perfect example of a seies out staying its welcome. What started out as fresh and exciting, albeit still ludicrous has become laughably ridiculous. I started out by giving this series an 8, but since it has gone on and on my rating has dropped to 4. I have 1episode left to view, but I don't think there will be any rallying for me to improve my thoughts at this late stage. I will just be grateful for it to end PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Expand
  11. Oct 4, 2013
    I anticipated that "Hostages" would have a pretty good pilot and then where to go? Something like Andre Brougher's submarine captain show last season. Great opening followed by an incredibly fast journey downhill. I knew something of the plot of "Hostages" before viewing the pilot but a couple of unexpected plot turns gave me some hope for a possible future for this show. SomeI anticipated that "Hostages" would have a pretty good pilot and then where to go? Something like Andre Brougher's submarine captain show last season. Great opening followed by an incredibly fast journey downhill. I knew something of the plot of "Hostages" before viewing the pilot but a couple of unexpected plot turns gave me some hope for a possible future for this show. Some reviewers call it "over the top" and that is true. I still think this show will have a very difficult time maintaining quality and, frankly, interest. We'll see but I'm afraid its over-the-topness has a good chance of winning and destroying the show. Expand
  12. Nov 5, 2013
    The main problem? Why didn't Ellen just tell the secret service what was going on and they go to the house and arrest everyone? It's ludicrous and makes enjoying this show almost impossible. The central premise makes no sense. The decisions they make defy logic. It's all ridiculous, yet I keep watching.

1. Reviewed by: Vicki Hyman
    Feb 13, 2014
    Sanders' husband (Tate Donovan) and teenaged kids are each shielding their own secrets, uncovered by Carlisle and his crew--and covered up by them as well. Unfortunately, they're fairly pedestrian.
  2. Reviewed by: Robert Rorke
    Oct 3, 2013
    Ain’t much [Collette] can’t do, so when she temporarily foils Carlisle, we have a pretty good idea who’s going to keep the tables turned on this show.
  3. Reviewed by: Brian Tallerico
    Sep 26, 2013
    It’s well-paced and tightly constructed. Yes, some of it feels overdone and silly.... [But] it ends on a nice turn of events that make me really want to see what happens next.