• Network: CBS
  • Series Premiere Date: Sep 23, 2013
6.0

1. Oct 4, 2013
    It gives me a feeling like Homeland The Following. Great cast, some interesting ideas, and some shocking things happen. Seems like some of the reviews say it isn't realistic, but was 24?
  2. Jan 12, 2014
    The first season has ended and my impressions are good. If we look on the other way for some flaws in story this series has good potential. I hope that, it will be renewed for second season and that they will continue to keep us entertained with better story, may bee faster action and a variety of some new characters with their dark secrets. If you are second guessing on watching firstThe first season has ended and my impressions are good. If we look on the other way for some flaws in story this series has good potential. I hope that, it will be renewed for second season and that they will continue to keep us entertained with better story, may bee faster action and a variety of some new characters with their dark secrets. If you are second guessing on watching first season, give it a try. if you ask me, this show is worth watching. Expand
  3. Dec 24, 2014
    CBS's innovative and exciting new drama, Hostages, was chosen by critics to be the big hit of the 2013 fall season, but things didn't quite turn out that way. The show was much more than I expected and unlike anything else on network television, but the amazing story is both the reason people did and didn't watch it.

The problem with Hostages was that if people did watch it an it was

The problem with Hostages was that if people did watch it an it was renewed, where else could you go? Season 2 would have required a whole other cast and story or else it would risk just going around in circles. It's also the kind of show where you have to watch it from the beginning and see every episode to know what's going on, so either way the show was doomed from the beginning. Don't get me wrong, the story was phenomenal, and would have been one of the best mini-series ever, but beyond that there was nowhere to go and I think people realized that.

Dr. Ellen Sanders (Toni Collette) is one of the best surgeons in the country, and her day has come as she has been selected to operate on the President of The United States. The Sanders family are on top of the world, until one night a group of mercenaries break into their home and give her a simple task. Kill the President or we kill your family. From there the family is held hostage until the surgery is upon them.

Toni Collette stars, and while she's been in a ton of things, this was easily her best performance since the Sixth Sense. She was so good that it seemed like the kind of role that was written specifically for her. The doctor had some wild ideas and took some crazy risks to try and find out who the mercenaries were and why they were really doing this.

Collette is paired with veteran TV star, Dylan McDermott, who plays double duty as both her captor and as an FBI agent, who has a ton of other things on his plate. The story itself seems simplistic, but there are so many side elements that effect each character, but none more so than McDermott's character, FBI agent Duncan Carlyle.

Hostages is edge of your seat excitement, with a cast that is top notch. There is so much more going on here than a simple hostage situation. Each character has their own story that could really be worthy of a film and the show goes in so many unexpected directions, it just really was outstanding in every sense of the word.

I absolutely loved this show and watched all 15 episodes in a week, still the show was easily doomed to a single season, because of the complexity and inflexibility of the story.
  4. Nov 17, 2013
    The pilot was damn good, but subsequent episodes have been losing momentum. I even dubbed the series the most promising new show on TV to friends, but it doesn't seem like the show is well-crafted enough. I know it's hard to write an entire season with a time span of only about two to three weeks, but that's why it should be more than thrilling. Too much moral dilemma so far and too littleThe pilot was damn good, but subsequent episodes have been losing momentum. I even dubbed the series the most promising new show on TV to friends, but it doesn't seem like the show is well-crafted enough. I know it's hard to write an entire season with a time span of only about two to three weeks, but that's why it should be more than thrilling. Too much moral dilemma so far and too little action. The writers need to heat things up. Soon. Expand
  5. Oct 22, 2013
    Wonderful suspense in this great new original story. It is refreshing to see that there can still be an original story out there. Great twists unfold with every episode. Great stuff
  6. Oct 22, 2013
    They go with what they are given,the show has everyday values such as family and bond, but it also has a thrilling sense of what is going to happen next, now that his team is beginning to unravel and the light at the end of the tunnel for the good doctor is getting bigger, there is still a sense of wonder whether or someone is going to step into that light and block the way, the show feelsThey go with what they are given,the show has everyday values such as family and bond, but it also has a thrilling sense of what is going to happen next, now that his team is beginning to unravel and the light at the end of the tunnel for the good doctor is getting bigger, there is still a sense of wonder whether or someone is going to step into that light and block the way, the show feels like it doesn't have that much going on, but the questions that still remain are why and who? the main characters cant be the whole thing. Im still dying to see who's behind the curtain making all these calls. Collapse
  7. Dec 26, 2013
    Aside from my enthusiasm for Toni Collette's acting chops, I thought the premise of this show seemed promising. The pilot underwhelmed, making poor scene choices and rushed plot points. It didn't connect the way it should have and made implausible moves in support of its main conflict.

I decided to stick with it to see how it all played out plus, I just love Toni Collette. Three episodes in, and I'm hooked. The acting is mostly strong (not a fan of Tate Donovan but McDermott is okay), the plot twists are compelling, and the characters have depth. I see this as a less polished Scandal (which I love!) but without the soap opera feel. It's not as fun as Scandal either, but it has its merits and is worth checking out.
  8. Sep 25, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Pros:
    The slick and awesome beginning with the tactical infiltration of the house
    The whole "thought of everything" element
    The drug dealer subplot might work, he might come banging on the house and the hostage team has to figure out how to dispose of him?

Cons:
    The pregnancy subplot. Unless they're held hostage for 9 months, who cares?
    Potential for too much family drama and needless distractions from main plot
  9. Dec 13, 2013
    a very smart television serie, but in some aspects the cleverness can be a little overwheliming and confusing,for example as they changer her minds about killing or not the president, but by far one of the greatest series of tv of this decade!
  10. Jan 1, 2014
    Really enjoyable show. Very good character development and writing except for the characters of the two teenagers. Dylan McDermott and the rest of the hostage takers are interesting throughout the season. A worthwhile watch and each episode ends making you want more.
  11. Jan 14, 2014
    Intense and a good ending, may be a little bit to long for a series and you losing it after 45 minutes, but you pick it up very easily and never would you think what could happen next.
  12. Apr 21, 2014
    There are times when I feel US television could benefit from the example of British television and its six-episodes-per-season format. This show is one of those times. Overall, not bad, just could have done with a lot of compacting. The storylines were on occasion overly complex and therefore a bit beyond believability, but the show was decently scripted and had the potential to be reallyThere are times when I feel US television could benefit from the example of British television and its six-episodes-per-season format. This show is one of those times. Overall, not bad, just could have done with a lot of compacting. The storylines were on occasion overly complex and therefore a bit beyond believability, but the show was decently scripted and had the potential to be really good. I moanain that an overall shorter series would have allowed for a greater sense of urgency and drama. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Vicki Hyman
    Feb 13, 2014
    Sanders' husband (Tate Donovan) and teenaged kids are each shielding their own secrets, uncovered by Carlisle and his crew--and covered up by them as well. Unfortunately, they're fairly pedestrian.
  2. Reviewed by: Robert Rorke
    Oct 3, 2013
    Ain’t much [Collette] can’t do, so when she temporarily foils Carlisle, we have a pretty good idea who’s going to keep the tables turned on this show.
  3. Reviewed by: Brian Tallerico
    Sep 26, 2013
    It’s well-paced and tightly constructed. Yes, some of it feels overdone and silly.... [But] it ends on a nice turn of events that make me really want to see what happens next.