Hostages : Season 1

• Network: CBS
  • Series Premiere Date: Sep 23, 2013
6.0

1. Oct 23, 2013
    Although the acting isn't bad, the plot lines are increasingly contrived and illogical common sense would be a super power in this universe. A single 911 call could and should have ended the show on several occasions already. Time doesn't pass consistently for the characters either. Last week, after a lengthy high speed car chase (presumably) away from home and the bus depot, the "badAlthough the acting isn't bad, the plot lines are increasingly contrived and illogical common sense would be a super power in this universe. A single 911 call could and should have ended the show on several occasions already. Time doesn't pass consistently for the characters either. Last week, after a lengthy high speed car chase (presumably) away from home and the bus depot, the "bad guys" return to the house within minutes to force a dramatic return. I had hoped the "willing suspension of belief" necessary to buy into the show would be limited to a convoluted plot to kill the president, but it has extending to implausible physics (time dilation, a gut shot to the abdomen is "through and through" without hitting any organs, distances change) and outright stupidity of the lead characters. I'm done with this one. Expand
  2. Nov 2, 2013
    The show unfortunately has sloppy writing. There's too many situations where either the characters or audience have to play dumb in order for the plot to continue.

In other words, it's your basic filler show. It's not going to wow you with anything new.
  3. Sep 24, 2013
    The opener left me flat. I could not get interested in the mystery and nor the family problems. It does not meet the threshold of being compelling enough for me to suspend disbelief. Just not very interesting.
  4. Nov 4, 2013
    I was sort of excited to see Tony Colette. But the show is just so boring. The pilot was dynamic and premise was promising, but it went downhill almost immediately afterwards. Last episode (6) was so bad and predictable, I'm done with this show.
  5. Oct 24, 2013
    Though the start of this program had promise not as a continuing series, though it is getting more and more implausible. The doc carries a complete defibrillator around?? And if he was bleeding out, without IV fluids or blood, he would not have been resuscitated. Sorry, this "series" is going downhill fast!
  6. Dec 3, 2013
    It's like someone ate bad beans and farted a thousand bad cliches. All that remains is McDermott and his leather jacket. High school film students would have done a better job, and as a matter of fact are probably using this as a lesson in what never to do.
  7. Nov 12, 2013
    The writing is unrealistic and verging on cartoonish. The Sanders family continues to miss opportunities to get out of their "hostage" situation. They're not suffering from Stockholm syndrome--each has had plenty of opportunity to escape, yet they are portrayed as bumbling, ineffectual fools. All any of them would have had to do was to go to the press and the local police. Duncan's teamThe writing is unrealistic and verging on cartoonish. The Sanders family continues to miss opportunities to get out of their "hostage" situation. They're not suffering from Stockholm syndrome--each has had plenty of opportunity to escape, yet they are portrayed as bumbling, ineffectual fools. All any of them would have had to do was to go to the press and the local police. Duncan's team would have been exposed as murderers and criminals, and they would have no more power over any of the Sanders family. The format is tiring and predictable. We all know by now that no matter what the Sanders family members do, they will be caught or stopped by Duncan's team, so why bother watching? Even the ending will be unreal and absurd, with the Sanders family finally getting out of their predicament by some cheap deus ex machina device and Duncan somehow surviving as the misguided anti-hero. Ridiculous, absurd and a waste of time--as much of network TV is. Expand
  8. Nov 20, 2013
    Watching Hostages...is not time well spent. I do not care for any of the characters. The daughter is pregnant, the son deals drugs, the husband is cheating on his wife (cant blame him though) and the mother is...scary to look at. This family has had many trials and tribulations throughout the series but I cannot find myself cheering for them to escape or breathing a sigh of disappointmentWatching Hostages...is not time well spent. I do not care for any of the characters. The daughter is pregnant, the son deals drugs, the husband is cheating on his wife (cant blame him though) and the mother is...scary to look at. This family has had many trials and tribulations throughout the series but I cannot find myself cheering for them to escape or breathing a sigh of disappointment when they almost do. The one person whose presence is felt on screen is Dylan McDermott. But overall, the acting is poor, the writing is unprofessional and it just seems to be a degraded version of...I actually cant think of any television show that I despise so much. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Vicki Hyman
    Feb 13, 2014
    Sanders' husband (Tate Donovan) and teenaged kids are each shielding their own secrets, uncovered by Carlisle and his crew--and covered up by them as well. Unfortunately, they're fairly pedestrian.
  2. Reviewed by: Robert Rorke
    Oct 3, 2013
    Ain’t much [Collette] can’t do, so when she temporarily foils Carlisle, we have a pretty good idea who’s going to keep the tables turned on this show.
  3. Reviewed by: Brian Tallerico
    Sep 26, 2013
    It’s well-paced and tightly constructed. Yes, some of it feels overdone and silly.... [But] it ends on a nice turn of events that make me really want to see what happens next.