• Network: Netflix
  • Series Premiere Date: Feb 1, 2013
  • Season #: 1 , 2
9.0

1. Jul 8, 2014
    This first series was slightly tedious at times, US politics not being my favorite source of entertainment. However, I was curious about Spacey's rave reviews and I like him as an actor. Given the dispassionate style of the series, I found it hard to develop a genuine interested, and I followed until the end out of mere curiosity.

Most characters are manipulative, sleazy and unpleasant.

Most characters are manipulative, sleazy and unpleasant. All seem to have hidden agendas. The plot-line gets confused and for me it will never make sense how the journalist played by Mara actually figured out that Frank is a lying bastard and possibly a murder. The part about Frank supporting Peter was genuine enough and Frank changed his plan only after Claire sort if stabbed him in the back.

Hence, the "conspiracy theory from the start" does not make sense. Not one of my favorite series, but Spacey and Wright are good, although Ms. Wright wardrobe is super boring, with her black pencil skirts, sprayed on shirts and perennial stiletto heels, she looks like a parody of a "power woman", just out of an ad for any expensive designer brand.
  2. Dec 16, 2014
    Impeccable performances. All the casting seems correct and it's even clearer when analysing individuals. However the shows main success point is that we can admire it for what it is. Underwood's character and the D.C he lives in, are both unforgiving. That's the motor that drives this incredibly addictive television series forward and onto our screens repeatedly. The show can occasionallyImpeccable performances. All the casting seems correct and it's even clearer when analysing individuals. However the shows main success point is that we can admire it for what it is. Underwood's character and the D.C he lives in, are both unforgiving. That's the motor that drives this incredibly addictive television series forward and onto our screens repeatedly. The show can occasionally find it hard to create tension, and those who are not decently acquainted with politics will notice this the most. Whilst the setting poses a challenge to the writers, in finding ways to kill off characters convincingly and realistically. House of Cards breaks the fourth wall with undeniable confidence, it was a brave choice, but it was worth it. In my opinion House of Cards is the most intelligent show of 2013. Whether it's Spacey showing his true feelings by giving the camera an unimpressed glare or his wife Claire conducting ambitious plans of her own, House of Cards is the new playground for political conspiracy and clever ideas. Expand
  3. May 28, 2013
    Plot is thick and travels through episodes elegantly and with good pacing. Characters very interesting, and well developed from first episode and seem to morph into even richer, more nuanced expressions. The story line in each episode is given in unique fragments. For instance you'll see them drafting a bill bringing someone on, but you have no idea how this character or experience orPlot is thick and travels through episodes elegantly and with good pacing. Characters very interesting, and well developed from first episode and seem to morph into even richer, more nuanced expressions. The story line in each episode is given in unique fragments. For instance you'll see them drafting a bill bringing someone on, but you have no idea how this character or experience or subject matter blends with entire story line. Later on you'll see exactly how they fit in just right. The entire display keeps you thoroughly engaged. Expand
  4. Jun 4, 2013
    Absolutely love this show. Gripping from the outset, Spacey is particularly brilliant. I really enjoy the way you get to see into his mind and really understand how the characters ticks. He's the bad guy that you end up rooting for because it is presented so well! A must watch.
  5. Jul 14, 2013
    House of Cards has an absolutely phenomenal first season making the viewers crave for more. From the acting, to the story; everything is spot on. This show is worth watching for Kevin Spacey (playing politically corrupt Frank Underwood) alone. Not only does Mr. Spacey do an incredible job, but all the other actors are spot on as well. Most notably Robin Wright's portrayal of Frank's mostlyHouse of Cards has an absolutely phenomenal first season making the viewers crave for more. From the acting, to the story; everything is spot on. This show is worth watching for Kevin Spacey (playing politically corrupt Frank Underwood) alone. Not only does Mr. Spacey do an incredible job, but all the other actors are spot on as well. Most notably Robin Wright's portrayal of Frank's mostly loyal wife. The show requires you to suspend your belief at points, but it would not be as good of a drama if it were completely realistic. I would recommend everyone to watch this show. Expand
  6. Sep 1, 2013
    Absolutely amazing, Kevin Spacey at his finest and Robin Wright complementing him splendidly as well. Started the first episode for Spacey but ended up completing the entire First season in one go!!!!
  7. Aug 3, 2013
    Ingeniously bold! Excellent performances from Kevin Spacey coupled with great intersecting plot lines. This show is even a hit among politicians in Washington
  8. Feb 11, 2014
    Congressman Francis Underwood (Kevin Spacey) is the smartest guy in Washington, but we meet him just as he suffers a devastating betrayal shifting his career into neutral, but this is only the beginning. We can tell by his acute composure and his stiff body language that even though he is extremely distraught, he is very far from defeated. He will never reveal his distress. That would be aCongressman Francis Underwood (Kevin Spacey) is the smartest guy in Washington, but we meet him just as he suffers a devastating betrayal shifting his career into neutral, but this is only the beginning. We can tell by his acute composure and his stiff body language that even though he is extremely distraught, he is very far from defeated. He will never reveal his distress. That would be a sign of weakness. Underwood will even play his subservient role, for now, but eventually, his time will come, with the help of reporter Zoe Barnes (Kate Mara) Perfectly cast as here, Mara has a unique allure as an actress, and as with all her roles, she is unassumingly engulfing.

The congressman makes it loud and clear that he yearns for power. Using off-stage, to-audience-only recitations, he shares his real thoughts and objectives; it’s like getting inside the head of a sociopath, making an almost trite connection between pathology and politics, but Spacey is so convincing as an individual, he doesn’t speak for the masses, **** the masses, that the intended commentary on the sociopathic political mindset actually becomes more ingrained and powerful than trite. It works cleverly it all its glaring obviousness.

We observe characters alone, watch them move, interpret their body language. Especially Underwood’s lovely wife Claire (Robin Wright). A fog of loneliness wafts over the show even as characters embrace, make alliances, and settle debts. Everyone competes neck-in-neck for Washington’s top spots, of which there are few.

When Netflix, supposedly nothing more than your friendly neighbourhood video store, started making its own productions, the stakes were low. But Netflix has officially hit the ball outta the park. Way Out. Both of its debut series House of Cards and Orange is the New Black are blazing successes, and not just commercially, but as statements themselves: artistically, emotionally, and stylistically unique, they are really very good. Orange is the New Black especially has come up with some ultra-creative plots and characters that are a blast to watch.

How did a first time production company, that was observably not-at-all subtle in its blazing out of the gate with such pomp and circumstance over it new shows’ greatness, make such great debut shows? With very deep pockets, they hired the expert help. Not just movies stars like Kevin Spacey, but veteran film directors.

As the debut director for the series House of Card, David Fincher sets the tone of intrigue and shadows that shroud his dark thrillers. Post-HBO renaissance, Fincher achieves what any great director working in upscale TV does: he makes the episodes come across as mini-political thrillers, pieces of cinema unto themselves. The newsroom scenes are vaguely reminiscent of Zodiac. But as he directs the first episodes, it is his footsteps all others must follow.

With so many scenes, directors of this kind of TV work hard. Big shows need a surplus of directors. Breaking Bad had a different director for almost every episode. Most directors work in other capacities on other episodes as writers or producers. Compared to film, how much does the director of the cinematic TV show’s vision actually make it to the screen? The Sopranos had dozens of directors, but none really left a distinct imprint on the show. Do we remember their names? Not really. It was the show itself that had a style.

It seems like with shows like House of Cards, The Sopranos, or Breaking Bad that the momentum of the cast, combined with writers great scripts, makes the job of the director to step in and to channel this momentum, rather than drum it up from scratch as in film. But Fincher’s first two episodes of House of Cards are the force that starts the momentum. It is his footsteps that all others must follow in what continues over the season’s following eleven intriguing episodes.
  9. Oct 25, 2013
    I find it difficult to look away, while feeling the show is a bit too cold and "inside the beltway" wonky to get hooked on. House of Cards suffers from the all-too-familiar problem of not really offering a character to root for. Who do I care about among all these people who only care about themselves, political power and personal gain? The outstanding performances, editing, score andI find it difficult to look away, while feeling the show is a bit too cold and "inside the beltway" wonky to get hooked on. House of Cards suffers from the all-too-familiar problem of not really offering a character to root for. Who do I care about among all these people who only care about themselves, political power and personal gain? The outstanding performances, editing, score and other tech credits help a great deal, but with each episode I keep hoping to be offered a better reason to watch the next one. Expand
  10. Nov 16, 2013
    Great show! Except one major detail... The settings are all wrong- Everyone knows that there are no tall buildings in DC due to the law that prevents buildings from being taller than the capitol. Every time we see Underwood's neighborhood and other local shots there are tall buildings. Also, the shots around what are supposed to be the Wash Post HQ- there is no bridge crossing anyGreat show! Except one major detail... The settings are all wrong- Everyone knows that there are no tall buildings in DC due to the law that prevents buildings from being taller than the capitol. Every time we see Underwood's neighborhood and other local shots there are tall buildings. Also, the shots around what are supposed to be the Wash Post HQ- there is no bridge crossing any side street in that neighborhood as depicted. Maddening! What's worse is that the colleague of a son of mine was hired as an extra and went to Baltimore for shooting yuk! That's what I think of when I see the outside shots. Expand
  11. Dec 12, 2014
    This is a show about how unhappy and robotic people can get by loving nothing but power and getting to power through manipulation and intrigues. Every single episode they do the same things over and over again just to get more detached and sophisticated at being cannibals
  12. Feb 2, 2014
    After watching the first two episodes, I was convinced this would become one of my favorite series of all time. Once I was down to the final two episodes of season one, however, it had completely worn out its welcome. While the acting is first-rate from Spacey and Wright, the overall plausibility of the story line suffers horribly with each subsequent plot twist. What seemed to be anAfter watching the first two episodes, I was convinced this would become one of my favorite series of all time. Once I was down to the final two episodes of season one, however, it had completely worn out its welcome. While the acting is first-rate from Spacey and Wright, the overall plausibility of the story line suffers horribly with each subsequent plot twist. What seemed to be an intelligently-written series in the first few episodes suddenly morphs into some midway point between cliche and cartoon-like. It's not awful by any stretch. Some parts of the presentation seem vivid and life-like. Regrettably, these parts are vastly outnumbered by the endless parade of far-fetched plot elements and flat dialogue. I had such high hopes for this series, especially since the acting was of the highest caliber. House of Cards, unfortunately, proves that a bad script can totally neutralize even the best dramatic performances. Expand
  13. Mar 24, 2014
    If I had the option I would give this about a 95 out of 100, but I am a round-down sort of fellow. This show grabs you by the balls and just keeps surprising you the entire way through. The level of selfish manipulation is shocking, and that's part of the charm.. It's honestly the first show I have really enjoyed that is based entirely on greed. The acting is impeccable (Whenever KevinIf I had the option I would give this about a 95 out of 100, but I am a round-down sort of fellow. This show grabs you by the balls and just keeps surprising you the entire way through. The level of selfish manipulation is shocking, and that's part of the charm.. It's honestly the first show I have really enjoyed that is based entirely on greed. The acting is impeccable (Whenever Kevin Spacey gives the camera one of his glances I chuckle). Robin Wright is fantastic as his 'just as manipulative' counterpart.
    I watched the entire series (2 Seasons) in the course of 4 or 5 days. each episode is about fifty minutes long, and there are thirteen episodes in a season. I think that in itself says something.
  14. Mar 2, 2014
    An eerie start to a great new show. A very ominous tales about the darkness of politics. Kevin Spacey and Robin Wright carries the load on a dark series waiting to get better and better.
  15. Mar 9, 2014
    Revolutionary Television!

Revolutionary Television!

House of Cards is a television drama produced by Netflix, a subscription service that allows its customers to stream shows and movies over the internet. Although Netflix is popular, the company’s ability to produce a series that has received several awards, nine Emmy nominations, and four Golden Globe nominations after only two seasons is impressive to many. Among the impressed include well-known internet review sites such as Metacritic.com, IMDB.com, and RottenTomatoes.com.
    House of Cards is a binge-worthy political drama which Netflix first premiered in 2013 and then released a second season in February of 2014. This show has absolutely set a new bar for the drama genre of television. Kevin Spacey plays a downright evil politician, Frank Underwood, who is working his way toward presidency of the United States by any means necessary. The lengths he goes to in order to hide his secrets, eliminate competition, and throw wrenches in others’ plans are baffling. Don’t get too attached to characters in this series. Much like George R.R. Martin, writer of Game of Thrones, House of Cards writer Beau Willimon keeps his audience on the edge of their seats, wondering who may be eliminated next by Underwood’s ruthless desire for power.

Orange is the New Black was another series produced by Netflix in 2013 which similarly pushed the boundaries of television drama, however House of Cards is even more captivating. As Americans, we can relate to the show’s scandals and dirty politics because what we witness in our own media is a mild version of similar events. This series simply takes that aspect of United States politics and stretches it to the edge of believability. The relationships, although definitely unordinary, are oddly relatable as well. The show is written in a way that feels as if the powerful characters, like Frank and his wife Claire, speak what we already expect them to be thinking. It removes boundaries we would expect to have in conversations we would be part of, allowing the audience to live vicariously through the characters’ brutal honesty. There are even moments in each episode where Underwood speaks into the camera as if he were speaking directly to the viewer. Kevin Spacey’s portrayal is chilling and cannot leave any viewer unintrigued.

This series is worth watching, although viewers should be forewarned that all twenty-six episodes, each at least fifty minutes in duration, are available to stream at your convenience. Be prepared to have no control over your ability to stop watching. House of Cards is the most beautifully, creatively, tenaciously written series I have seen.
  16. Mar 10, 2014
    In intriguing insight into the this great fictional world of politics that mixes well with Kevin Spacey character out for revenge. The style is the most appealing part keeps the mood simple and modern with the characters coming life in a riveting tale of corruption and revenge in a world only a congressman could understand.
  17. Mar 29, 2014
    I wholeheartedly suggest that before starting the first episode, you get munchies set up along side you and strap yourself in with a seat-belt for the ride of your life. Kevin Spacey was born to be Francis Underwood. I have not seen in my 65 years any political drama that is so engrossing. The characters are real to life, with everyday problems. When you are watching the story unfold,I wholeheartedly suggest that before starting the first episode, you get munchies set up along side you and strap yourself in with a seat-belt for the ride of your life. Kevin Spacey was born to be Francis Underwood. I have not seen in my 65 years any political drama that is so engrossing. The characters are real to life, with everyday problems. When you are watching the story unfold, think about the present day politics........ Expand
  18. ysd
    Mar 15, 2014
    Season2 - Points for acting. Writing not so much. Consistent victory of the political mafia all the way to presidency with scandalous debauchery makes it so predictable. We get it - Politics is beyond dirty. But making murderers out of unelected presidents. At episode 2, I suspected the grand finale , by season 7 - I was on it. Regardless Good entertainment but bored by the end. TooSeason2 - Points for acting. Writing not so much. Consistent victory of the political mafia all the way to presidency with scandalous debauchery makes it so predictable. We get it - Politics is beyond dirty. But making murderers out of unelected presidents. At episode 2, I suspected the grand finale , by season 7 - I was on it. Regardless Good entertainment but bored by the end. Too predictable and too desperate to scandal. Makes the media and FBI and CIA look like ignorant goons Expand
  19. Mar 20, 2014
    You can tell since the beginning Fincher's touch. Netflix really knocked it out of the park with this series. Political dramas are rising nowadays and "House of Cards" is a front-runner. My main issue is that, the first half of the season spent too much time trying to describe the characters, which I don't think it was completely necessary because by the second half of the season, inYou can tell since the beginning Fincher's touch. Netflix really knocked it out of the park with this series. Political dramas are rising nowadays and "House of Cards" is a front-runner. My main issue is that, the first half of the season spent too much time trying to describe the characters, which I don't think it was completely necessary because by the second half of the season, in which the plot develops in a great way, by then you already know how the characters are going to react. You can even anticipate when Kevin Spacey is going to look at the camera (in the characteristic way he does in this show). Other than that, the series is really well acted (Kevin Spacey, Robin Wright and Kate Mara do a really good job), well written and well directed. Expand
  20. Apr 6, 2014
    Politics, suspense, intrigue, murders, lies, intimacy and affairs. A great mix of topics and incredibly well written. The depth of the characters is amazing. A great political thriller. It is creeping up on my personal list to become the best show ever, it certainly already made the top 5. Only downside: Kevin Spacey talking to the viewers which is a tool I never liked in any series butPolitics, suspense, intrigue, murders, lies, intimacy and affairs. A great mix of topics and incredibly well written. The depth of the characters is amazing. A great political thriller. It is creeping up on my personal list to become the best show ever, it certainly already made the top 5. Only downside: Kevin Spacey talking to the viewers which is a tool I never liked in any series but can forgive it for such an outstanding series. Expand
  21. May 8, 2014
    Amazing show! The show is written in such a way to appeal to different types of audiences. It has tons of suspense, political drama, and great emotional development from the characters. Kevin Spacey is amazing as Frank Underwood, and the way Frank's character is written is very Shakespearean. He routinely has monologues and asides, and it really feels like watching a modern adaptation of aAmazing show! The show is written in such a way to appeal to different types of audiences. It has tons of suspense, political drama, and great emotional development from the characters. Kevin Spacey is amazing as Frank Underwood, and the way Frank's character is written is very Shakespearean. He routinely has monologues and asides, and it really feels like watching a modern adaptation of a Shakespeare play. The show doesn't merely rely on action or suspense to keep going. It utilizes the political atmosphere of Washington to keep itself relevant. Frank and Claire are terrifying in the best ways and really exemplify what it means to be an anti-hero. This show definitely kept me on the edge of my seat the whole time, but I also love watching characters develop and emotionally interact with one another, and this show provides the best of all of those worlds. Expand
  22. May 22, 2014
    Just OK; definitely not a show to watch after you've undergone a root canal and are feeling sick and tired... impatience and discomfort on the viewers' part will not mix well with this slow-paced series that demands complete attention to unravel the all of the byzantine-but-irrelevant plot twists. Can be quite boring, time-wasting, and predictable, and full of tired, banal, trite, andJust OK; definitely not a show to watch after you've undergone a root canal and are feeling sick and tired... impatience and discomfort on the viewers' part will not mix well with this slow-paced series that demands complete attention to unravel the all of the byzantine-but-irrelevant plot twists. Can be quite boring, time-wasting, and predictable, and full of tired, banal, trite, and cliched plot devices and character lines. Worst of all are Frank talking to the camera and singing all of the traditional "Southern military academy songs" that we've seen as a cliche in every single movie about a military academy. The Zoe character is incredibly annoying, and the sudden rise to power from mediocrity of both Zoe and Frank is completely unrealistic. There were some entertaining events, for sure #such as Zoe's demise#, the acting particularly by Spacey is excellent despite the noted shortcomings #of the writers#, and several of the episodes are quite good, but overall the series had too many irrelevant, confusing, and tangential/inconsequential plot lines #such as the whole byzantine "Chinese currency fixing, money laundering to PACs" scheme# and boring, uninteresting legislative agendas that left me glancing at my **** or checking my iPhone too frequently. I fell asleep during several of the episodes. Expand
  23. Jun 8, 2014
    Started watching the first episode yesterday around 6pm. I've gone through 9 episodes in one night unable to stop and wouldn't have if I don't have work today.
  24. Sep 6, 2014
    Amazing! 10/10. First 5 minutes of the very first episode and you're already hooked. After a week... I already saw the whole 2 seasons. Definitely worth the Netflix month. Brilliant acting from Kevin Spacey and the plot twists are very very unexpected especially some scenes in the few final episodes on Season 2.
  25. Oct 10, 2014
    I really liked Season 1 but i thought Season 2 delivered so much more. I like sex on television as much as the next 29 year old, but I felt season 2 offered more depth. The ending of season 2 in which Kevin Spacey cavalierly raps the desk was so classic.
  26. Dec 3, 2014
    Kevin Spacey made this TV-show great.
    This has some of the best and realistic acting there has been in tv-shows.
    I don't know anything about the American government,
    but this show really showed me some great things in it.
    Good job to the producers and keep up the good work.
  27. Dec 11, 2014
    'Let the butchering begin!'
    'Let the butchering begin!'
    Academy award winner Kevin Spacey stars in a truly gripping American political drama. It details his character's, Frank Underwood's Machiavellian machinations to climb the treacherous mountain to power. Full of charm, wit, humour and of course conniving office politics, Underwood's character narrates the plot while staring at the audience in a highly original film technique.
    The soundtrack is first class, the plot, simple but varied and at times utterly compelling . The variety of supporting characters and acting is top notch, especially from Claire Underwood and Remy Danton who add spice to an already thrilling story.
    If there were any flaws in the series, and I really would be nit-picking, it would be the following:
    -No character seems to be any match for Frank Underwood and in a largely credible series, it is difficult to believe that he could proceed without any vigorous checks and balances.
    -The setting is occasionally too centred on the White House.
    -This is a rare criticism from me, but occasionally there is too much happening in terms of the plot and drama, and I feel like the story and detail could be fleshed out a little more (flashbacks, different opinions, street level discussions etc)
    -More slang and Argot could be used as the language is occasionally too formal and contrived.

Overall, a fantastic series. Can't wait for Season 3.
  28. Jan 2, 2015
    The arcing story of House of Cards flows very well. It's a very fluid, organic tale, one fueled by all the Washington turmoil but solidified by some excellent performances. The program works as well as it does largely because it's infinitely believable; there's not a sight, sound, or syllable that feels manipulated or in any way something other than plausible at worst and realistic atThe arcing story of House of Cards flows very well. It's a very fluid, organic tale, one fueled by all the Washington turmoil but solidified by some excellent performances. The program works as well as it does largely because it's infinitely believable; there's not a sight, sound, or syllable that feels manipulated or in any way something other than plausible at worst and realistic at best. The series travels through moral darkness with a strikingly believable rhythm to every step, offset by an almost gleeful cast of main characters who find a perverse pleasure in not just working the system, but taking advantage of it and using their own political skill to alter the landscape in their favor. Every character is in some way flawed -- spiteful, manipulative, dishonest, addicted, naive, oblivious -- and the program skillfully uses each and every one of those to fuel the drama and constantly shift the landscape for better or for worse, and usually the latter even if, on the individual level, it's for the former. Just as important, the production design proves top-notch in every scene; whether the Oval Office or a run-down apartment, whether a back alley rib shack or a shindig where all of the elite rub elbows with one another, House of Cards exudes a very real sense of location authenticity that will leave viewers believing it's all real or, at the very least, filmed on-location. Expand
  29. Jan 10, 2015
    an awesome drama showing the ugliness of politics
    kevin spacey is like The One for FRANK UNDERWOOD
    so thrilled to get the chance to see the series
    kate mara gives it a freshness an makes it more exciting with her realistic acting
  30. Jan 26, 2015
    I firmly believe that this show reflect the manipulative political framework that we are exposed too on a daily basis. The main characters play their roles quite excellent & the show for the most part keeps me interesting. However, I found it absolutely fitting to attribute a 5 rating to what I've seen thus far (season 1 & 6th episode of season 2) because I am very annoyed with how muchI firmly believe that this show reflect the manipulative political framework that we are exposed too on a daily basis. The main characters play their roles quite excellent & the show for the most part keeps me interesting. However, I found it absolutely fitting to attribute a 5 rating to what I've seen thus far (season 1 & 6th episode of season 2) because I am very annoyed with how much and how long the deceptions, lies and murders continue to go on for. I will proceed to the other episodes in hope that the writer at least considered the exposure of one thing, anything. Frank should fall, some way or another, he is doing way too much. I hope light shines on all of his darkness. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Emily Nussbaum
    Feb 22, 2013
    I found the first two episodes handsome but sleazy, like a C.E.O. in a hotel bar. Yet by Episode 5 I was hypnotized by the show’s ensemble of two-faced sociopaths. Episode 8 was a thoughtful side trip into sympathy for Spacey’s devilish main character, but by then I was exhausted, and only my compulsive streak kept me going until the finale--at which point I was critically destabilized and looking forward to Season 2.
  2. Reviewed by: Ed Bark
    Feb 6, 2013
    Watch at whatever pace you'd like--immediately. Given its quality, I think you'll be drinking it all in sooner rather than later.
  3. Reviewed by: Tom Long
    Feb 1, 2013
    Fincher's unemotional style comes through in the first two episodes, and the show could use more heat. But Spacey makes it worth watching.