• Network: Netflix
  • Series Premiere Date: Feb 1, 2013
Season #: 1, 2, 3
9.0

1. May 28, 2013
    Spacey is excellent, Wright is great, and the rest of the cast is solid as well. Very interesting story too, Manages to keep your interest through out. A prime example of good story telling is knowing where you are going with it from start to finish, House of Cards does this very well. I'd recommend in a heartbeat. It's a very good show.
  2. Apr 2, 2014
    Francis Underwood has become one of my favorite characters, the series is spectacular and engaging.......
    . .
  3. Oct 9, 2013
    House of Cards is a highly intelligent adult drama regarding corrupt politicians and one devious man's vengeance against the system that wronged him. It's clever, witty and dangerous. Unfortunately, not all of the episodes contain these elements. Some of them are very boring, dull, and super slow moving which is why I can't rate the show higher than a 7. At times, Kevin Spacey's characterHouse of Cards is a highly intelligent adult drama regarding corrupt politicians and one devious man's vengeance against the system that wronged him. It's clever, witty and dangerous. Unfortunately, not all of the episodes contain these elements. Some of them are very boring, dull, and super slow moving which is why I can't rate the show higher than a 7. At times, Kevin Spacey's character does things that are downright unlikable, and sometimes it's hard to get behind him, but for the most part, he's pretty badass. I'd recommend this show to fan's of The West Wing, Veep, Death Note, Boston Legal, and The Blacklist. Does that list seem as random to you as it does to me? I bet it does, but all those shows are very intelligent in their writing and their use of their character's witt. Expand
  4. Feb 3, 2013
    I was hesitant to watch an American remake of a British classic that defined cynical political satire, but this is a very well done series. I can't think of another American actor who can pull off dry sarcasm as well as Spacey, and I'm glad we didn't get an Aussie or a Brit doing "Yank." The dialogue is wonderfully witty and the plot, so far (episode 3) holds up with intelligence. SpaceyI was hesitant to watch an American remake of a British classic that defined cynical political satire, but this is a very well done series. I can't think of another American actor who can pull off dry sarcasm as well as Spacey, and I'm glad we didn't get an Aussie or a Brit doing "Yank." The dialogue is wonderfully witty and the plot, so far (episode 3) holds up with intelligence. Spacey takes center stage but Robin Wright manages a difficult role of being evil without hinting it in anything but her actions, and the other Mara girl is a knockout "wannabe famous" reporter who thinks she can handle Francis Underwood but is playing with fire. Expand
  5. Feb 12, 2014
    The road to political triumph is paved with betrayal and selfish ambitions, which makes House of Cards dark and delicious. Kevin Spacey is absolutely excellent as a deviant senator who gets cast aside during what was meant to be the pinnacle of his career. If this type of show appeals to you, then you're in for a treat.
  6. Aug 3, 2013
    Just watched the first episode and love this show enough to say that it's definitely one of the best TV shows on now. The acting is great, the writing is interesting, and the plot is most certainly interesting thus far. Riveting.
  7. Feb 4, 2013
    Kevin Spacey and David Fincher on the television level, it's an absolute treat to watch them doing some marvelous work which can be easily compared to the HUGE series like Breaking Bad, Homeland, Game of Thrones, Mad Men and Boardwalk Empire. The series has brilliant writing supported by their proper execution and witty and charming screenplay, fabulous cast members all of whom giveKevin Spacey and David Fincher on the television level, it's an absolute treat to watch them doing some marvelous work which can be easily compared to the HUGE series like Breaking Bad, Homeland, Game of Thrones, Mad Men and Boardwalk Empire. The series has brilliant writing supported by their proper execution and witty and charming screenplay, fabulous cast members all of whom give thrilling performances, the direction is outstanding, the entire premise of the show is a reason to watch the show. Kevin Spacey plays a political personality who is so manipulative that all cards play in his favor eventually. The best thing about it that we don't have to wait for an entire week to watch the new episode, the complete season is readily available. I have this feeling that House of Cards is going to get so much recognition in the upcoming period. Expand
  8. Feb 1, 2013
    The pilot was wonderful! The beginning was a bit eh, but it quickly rose from there. A wonderful show worth watching, it's a great thing that Netflix just released all of the episodes at once.
  9. Sep 21, 2013
    A dark and cynical take on Washington with an incredible score, first-rate production values, and excellent performances (particularly by the female cast). What keeps it from being better is that it is occasionally let down by heavy-handed and hammy dialogue and seriously hurt by a questionable turn in the 11th episode. This season is essentially all build-up, so at least there is anotherA dark and cynical take on Washington with an incredible score, first-rate production values, and excellent performances (particularly by the female cast). What keeps it from being better is that it is occasionally let down by heavy-handed and hammy dialogue and seriously hurt by a questionable turn in the 11th episode. This season is essentially all build-up, so at least there is another season to look forward to. 7.6/10 Expand
  10. Jul 26, 2013
    If you watch the first 10 minutes be for warned, you may have to watch all episodes. I watched the 1990 version set in England. It was good but this was great. Keven Spacy sinks his teeth into this part like only he can do. This is really good.
  11. Feb 26, 2013
    A definite contender for best series of the year. Everything is executed brilliantly and the casting is perfect. Netflix has a bona fide hit on their hands.
  12. Feb 2, 2014
    This show is what I'd describe as The West Wing + Game of Thrones. Also, there's frequent asides that let you get a peak into Frank Underwood's thinking as he maneuvers his way through events. Like Malcom in the Middle, but far more sinister and ruthless.

It has a solid opening set of episodes, some good middle seasons episodes, and then at the end things get a little muddled. At several points in the last 2 or 3 episodes I found myself thinking that they'd gone through a major tonal shift, perhaps without realizing it. Once I got to the end of the season and was able to look back upon the whole thing knowingly, I felt more than ever that they should have cut Season 1 off just a little sooner, and lumped all the cut Season 1 content into the first part Season 2.
  13. Jul 8, 2014
    This first series was slightly tedious at times, US politics not being my favorite source of entertainment. However, I was curious about Spacey's rave reviews and I like him as an actor. Given the dispassionate style of the series, I found it hard to develop a genuine interested, and I followed until the end out of mere curiosity.

Most characters are manipulative, sleazy and unpleasant.

Most characters are manipulative, sleazy and unpleasant. All seem to have hidden agendas. The plot-line gets confused and for me it will never make sense how the journalist played by Mara actually figured out that Frank is a lying bastard and possibly a murder. The part about Frank supporting Peter was genuine enough and Frank changed his plan only after Claire sort if stabbed him in the back.

Hence, the "conspiracy theory from the start" does not make sense. Not one of my favorite series, but Spacey and Wright are good, although Ms. Wright wardrobe is super boring, with her black pencil skirts, sprayed on shirts and perennial stiletto heels, she looks like a parody of a "power woman", just out of an ad for any expensive designer brand.
  14. Sep 6, 2013
    House of Cards is highly political but party agnostic, stripping politicians down to what they truly are. Kevin Spacey delivers. Welcome to the party, Netflix!
  15. Jun 2, 2013
    the show is a reimagining of a british show, that was the product of its era and location. its an uneasy fit imho. both culturally and the context of its place on a timeline of changing circumstance, it is an awkward transplant. the british one was coming at the end of thatcherism and explored the potential chaos as the 80s turned into the 90s from the mindset of someone who was old in thethe show is a reimagining of a british show, that was the product of its era and location. its an uneasy fit imho. both culturally and the context of its place on a timeline of changing circumstance, it is an awkward transplant. the british one was coming at the end of thatcherism and explored the potential chaos as the 80s turned into the 90s from the mindset of someone who was old in the 80s. this one has no such cultural momentum, and has a different tone. the first one was black comedy in a british sense. it was basically about following a rogue and a pantomime villain. this one plays it a lot more straight. whats lacking is the import of a "boss" or the comedy of (trying to think of an american version of this kind of dark comedy)"profit". culturally this show falls squarely between profit and boss.

despite every thing i said, its very good. its just far too pedestrian and lacking in any cultural verve to be great. it is technically sound, and the production values are crisp. you wont be watching something that doesnt "work". And..it is well worth watching. i dont know what it adds to the genre, but it seems to get all the right elements down to a tee.

boss is far better.

the original is of a different era and culture for even myself, and im a limey. things have changed quite a bit in the last 2 decades.

this one was well worth watching, and any lacking was a product of its transplant status and a lack of a real character of its own. it moves the story and setting well enough, but the fault lines are from a different product. it needs its own rugged identity, and i think its only half way there, with too many echos of boss.

boss was brilliant though. this is... available.
  16. Dec 16, 2014
    Impeccable performances. All the casting seems correct and it's even clearer when analysing individuals. However the shows main success point is that we can admire it for what it is. Underwood's character and the D.C he lives in, are both unforgiving. That's the motor that drives this incredibly addictive television series forward and onto our screens repeatedly. The show can occasionallyImpeccable performances. All the casting seems correct and it's even clearer when analysing individuals. However the shows main success point is that we can admire it for what it is. Underwood's character and the D.C he lives in, are both unforgiving. That's the motor that drives this incredibly addictive television series forward and onto our screens repeatedly. The show can occasionally find it hard to create tension, and those who are not decently acquainted with politics will notice this the most. Whilst the setting poses a challenge to the writers, in finding ways to kill off characters convincingly and realistically. House of Cards breaks the fourth wall with undeniable confidence, it was a brave choice, but it was worth it. In my opinion House of Cards is the most intelligent show of 2013. Whether it's Spacey showing his true feelings by giving the camera an unimpressed glare or his wife Claire conducting ambitious plans of her own, House of Cards is the new playground for political conspiracy and clever ideas. Expand
  17. Sep 20, 2013
    Kevin Spacey and Robin Wright The ULTIMATE power couple. That I'm terrified of, but continually root for. Love that they wrote Robin's character as a successful individual in her own right separate from her husbands. This couple is ambitious, but they truly love and respect each other. They're driven and I'm excited to see how their drive translates into the second season.
  18. Mar 4, 2013
    A smart, dark political thriller. This series is not without it's problems. The middle 4 episodes are especially troublesome. The pace slows considerably during this time and makes the many plot holes even more glaring. I also was displeased with the narrative asides given by Spacey's character throughout the series. They are distracting and I cannot think of one that is necessary to theA smart, dark political thriller. This series is not without it's problems. The middle 4 episodes are especially troublesome. The pace slows considerably during this time and makes the many plot holes even more glaring. I also was displeased with the narrative asides given by Spacey's character throughout the series. They are distracting and I cannot think of one that is necessary to the story or characters. The writing and pacing in this show are perfectly straight forward and never are the asides needed to further what is right in front of us. Now the good. This show looks amazing. You can definitely feel Fincher's hand in the episodes he directed and it continues throughout all 12. This show is superbly acted. Spacey and Wright speak for themselves, newcomer Mara and Stoll are excellent as well. The writing for me is a mixed bag. While I did enjoy most of the story and character arcs there were certainly some plot holes and eye rolling moments along the way.

Overall this is an enjoyable series that has something for everyone. If you enjoy dark drama or political thrillers you will enjoy House Of Cards.
  19. Mar 20, 2013
    Kevin Spacey is fantastic as a Georgia congressman that seeks revenge after being replaced for a Secretary of State job. He is so conniving and quite convincing as a real congressman. If you ever imagined how things are negotiated and manipulated in Congress to get what people what, this show definitely shows it. His wife, played by Robin Wright, is great as well. She too can manipulateKevin Spacey is fantastic as a Georgia congressman that seeks revenge after being replaced for a Secretary of State job. He is so conniving and quite convincing as a real congressman. If you ever imagined how things are negotiated and manipulated in Congress to get what people what, this show definitely shows it. His wife, played by Robin Wright, is great as well. She too can manipulate with the best of them to get what she wants. If it were just them, it would be great, but it also includes a lot of other characters that are complex and relate-able. Great first season, looking forward to more. Expand
  20. Feb 1, 2013
    I watched the first episode this morning, practically as soon as it came online. "House of Cards" is very entertaining, but it has a long way to go to equal the 1990 BBC series on which it is based. The series hews closely to the plotlines of the original series and features some of the more eloquent and cutting original dialogue, it is, for that reason, not quite as suspenseful as itI watched the first episode this morning, practically as soon as it came online. "House of Cards" is very entertaining, but it has a long way to go to equal the 1990 BBC series on which it is based. The series hews closely to the plotlines of the original series and features some of the more eloquent and cutting original dialogue, it is, for that reason, not quite as suspenseful as it might be. I would normally give this series a seven or an eight, but there are a number of things that hold me back. First, I don't quite believe Kevin Spacey's South Carolina accent. It just doesn't sound quite right. Second, a President makes an education bill the centerpiece of his first hundred days? That's a little bit too inside-the-beltway even for me, and doesn't ring true. Third, and most importantly, I have concerns about the viewing experience. Maybe it will look better on Blu-Ray, but the streaming product is definitely substandard. To an audience used to sharp and vivid HD images, the first episode looks dark and even a little blurry when compared to other programs I have streamed on Netflix. I don't know what's wrong, somebody needs to fix this quick. Expand
  21. Feb 19, 2013
    After the firs two episodes I was not planning to watch anymore but I read good reviews and decided to watch the third, then it grew on me. The main characters develop slowly but this gives them a lot of depth, far more than I remember in other similar series.

By the time I got to episode 13 I was really into it. I recommend it, but give it time.
  22. Jun 29, 2013
    There's something I just don't like in the execution of this show. I like political satire, I like odd tones, I like breaking the fourth wall. I even like some kinds of hammy or arch performing in the right light [as in Spacey's hero-villian character]. It's a lot like Richard III in the sense that the whole work revolves around the deliciously evil hamming of a main character that weThere's something I just don't like in the execution of this show. I like political satire, I like odd tones, I like breaking the fourth wall. I even like some kinds of hammy or arch performing in the right light [as in Spacey's hero-villian character]. It's a lot like Richard III in the sense that the whole work revolves around the deliciously evil hamming of a main character that we take delight in rooting for and against simultaneously. And it has the same weakness that Richard III the play does, in that all the other characters more or less prop him up without any real interest to them or the plot.

I just don't like the show in execution. The plot and scenes don't really hinge on much to me. The humanizing moments, that in another work would do more to round out the main character, just fall flat to me. It's better than most of what's on TV, but I'd give most of what's on TV a 2.

Give it a try I guess.
  23. Feb 2, 2013
    Terrific first episode to Netflix's first original series. Kevin Spacey's performance is incredible as expected and I'm sure the rest of the season will keep steam until the finale. The new season of Arrested Development will prove that television is just as important on streaming as it is during the weekdays on channels such as Fox and AMC. Hopefully Netflix will purchase the rights toTerrific first episode to Netflix's first original series. Kevin Spacey's performance is incredible as expected and I'm sure the rest of the season will keep steam until the finale. The new season of Arrested Development will prove that television is just as important on streaming as it is during the weekdays on channels such as Fox and AMC. Hopefully Netflix will purchase the rights to Jericho and continue the story for that as well. Netflix has proved itself as a worthy competitor for the next Golden Globe Awards because this show is a winner. Expand
  24. Oct 19, 2013
    Kevin Spacey at his best! He leads this show on through the incredible story and the heart of our nation's capital. This show is brilliant in every way and to see Spacey's character get darker and darker is a ride that you wont, no CANT miss.
  25. BKM
    Mar 15, 2013
    The term "game changer" is tossed around a bit too liberally these days, but this original series from Netflix is genuinely deserving of that label. Top notch talent is involved with this project which has made Netflix a legitimate player in the scripted series realm. At the same time the ability to make all thirteen episodes available at once is a stroke of genius that cable and theThe term "game changer" is tossed around a bit too liberally these days, but this original series from Netflix is genuinely deserving of that label. Top notch talent is involved with this project which has made Netflix a legitimate player in the scripted series realm. At the same time the ability to make all thirteen episodes available at once is a stroke of genius that cable and the networks are going to have to respond to. And as for the product itself? House of Cards is a darkly humorous and wickedly entertaining look into the high stakes game of U.S. politics. It will be interesting to see if it gets any Emmy recognition especially for Kevin Spacey who hasn't been this good since American Beauty. Expand
  26. Feb 27, 2013
    I haven't seen a show this good in a while. House of cards is beautifully written and the cast does a stellar job acting. The show gets down to the gritty and realistic side of politics. Kevin Spacey's character has a lust for power and will do anything to get to the top often betraying his friends and bending the truth to come out ahead. This is one of those series that truly leaves youI haven't seen a show this good in a while. House of cards is beautifully written and the cast does a stellar job acting. The show gets down to the gritty and realistic side of politics. Kevin Spacey's character has a lust for power and will do anything to get to the top often betraying his friends and bending the truth to come out ahead. This is one of those series that truly leaves you on the edge of your seat and wanting more. I am still waiting for them to green light a second season. This is one of the reasons you should get Netflix. Expand
  27. Mar 20, 2013
    I notice many comparisons to The West Wing. While they are two different entities, its not stupid to compare them. To me, this is an Alternate West Wing. It has the same fantasy as The West Wing. House of Cards has an extreme dark side. As shown right off the bat in the first 2 minutes of the Pilot. House Majority Whip Francis (Frank) Underwood played by the fantastic Kevin Spacey, is notI notice many comparisons to The West Wing. While they are two different entities, its not stupid to compare them. To me, this is an Alternate West Wing. It has the same fantasy as The West Wing. House of Cards has an extreme dark side. As shown right off the bat in the first 2 minutes of the Pilot. House Majority Whip Francis (Frank) Underwood played by the fantastic Kevin Spacey, is not afraid to get his hands dirty. Issues Frank Underwood encounter in Season 1, whether it be an Education Bill, Jobs Bill, or dealing with a Representative who has a drug and alcohol problem, Frank always his true goal in sight. And that goal is to be on top of the mountain in the world of Politics. The show, a Netflix Original Series, has so many strengths, that it pretty much cancels out the cons. And there are not many cons. Very little. For me the cons are very nit-picky as the quality and story telling of the show is very well done, by not only the actors and actresses, but by head-writer Beau Willimon who has an amazing sense of Political storytelling and who's research is most pivotal to the show's storytelling success. The show has been so successful as Netflix's first ever Original Series, a recent survey says that more than 10% of Netflix subscribers have streamed House of Cards, whether it be just the first episode, or through the entire 1st season. While Netflix won't give out the Viewership numbers, Netflix has confirmed that House of Cards is the DVD rental/Instant Streaming Mogul's most watched item for their Instant Streaming. 13 episodes clearly isn't enough. Netflix has ordered a second season, and well played, because fans are demanding it. So, while House of Cards may seem like a dark political drama on the surface, you must dig deeper to discover it is about power. The main theme of the show is power. How and what people will do to get what they ultimately achieve, whether it be famous journalist, or Secretary of State, Power is the ultimate motivator in this Political soaked drama. Expand
  28. Feb 10, 2013
    A really wonderfully acted, superb directed, with great potential to grow series. Its bigger flaw its plot-wise, but let's just wait to see where the series is heading to. Anyway, just watch it.
  29. Apr 27, 2014
    Very little shows prove how much cinema quality is needed on TV as this one. Many series mock movies, this IS a sort of long movie that gets better each episode. Season 1 of House of Cards is meant to watch at your own pace, falling in love with its incredible performances, rock-solid direction and sharp, incredible writing. Is a series that offers something different in terms of soapinessVery little shows prove how much cinema quality is needed on TV as this one. Many series mock movies, this IS a sort of long movie that gets better each episode. Season 1 of House of Cards is meant to watch at your own pace, falling in love with its incredible performances, rock-solid direction and sharp, incredible writing. Is a series that offers something different in terms of soapiness in comparison to other TV Shows. It is a smart Scorsesenian political satire, and is so damn entertaining and addictive you swear you will describe the show as an incredibly powerful drug. Kevin Spacey is such a badass at all moments, and the rest of the cast, while extremely supporting, have some really important screentime during the series, including Robin Wright's lady macbeth-y Claire Underwood, Kate Mara's sexy Zoe Barnes and Corey Stoll's worryingly unbalanced Peter Russo. It is a consistent, astute show that shows with flare its 100-dollar budget with quality dripping off the screen. Expand
  30. Jul 26, 2013
    Kevin Spacey at his finest, couldn't stop watching, ripped through a season in 2 days! Dark and mischievous, great acting from the supporters as well...highly recommended...

1. Reviewed by: Emily Nussbaum
    Feb 22, 2013
    I found the first two episodes handsome but sleazy, like a C.E.O. in a hotel bar. Yet by Episode 5 I was hypnotized by the show’s ensemble of two-faced sociopaths. Episode 8 was a thoughtful side trip into sympathy for Spacey’s devilish main character, but by then I was exhausted, and only my compulsive streak kept me going until the finale--at which point I was critically destabilized and looking forward to Season 2.
  2. Reviewed by: Ed Bark
    Feb 6, 2013
    Watch at whatever pace you'd like--immediately. Given its quality, I think you'll be drinking it all in sooner rather than later.
  3. Reviewed by: Tom Long
    Feb 1, 2013
    Fincher's unemotional style comes through in the first two episodes, and the show could use more heat. But Spacey makes it worth watching.