House of Cards (2013) : Season 1

• Series Premiere Date: Feb 1, 2013
Season #: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
9.0

1. Mar 10, 2014
    In intriguing insight into the this great fictional world of politics that mixes well with Kevin Spacey character out for revenge. The style is the most appealing part keeps the mood simple and modern with the characters coming life in a riveting tale of corruption and revenge in a world only a congressman could understand.
  2. Mar 29, 2014
    I wholeheartedly suggest that before starting the first episode, you get munchies set up along side you and strap yourself in with a seat-belt for the ride of your life. Kevin Spacey was born to be Francis Underwood. I have not seen in my 65 years any political drama that is so engrossing. The characters are real to life, with everyday problems. When you are watching the story unfold,I wholeheartedly suggest that before starting the first episode, you get munchies set up along side you and strap yourself in with a seat-belt for the ride of your life. Kevin Spacey was born to be Francis Underwood. I have not seen in my 65 years any political drama that is so engrossing. The characters are real to life, with everyday problems. When you are watching the story unfold, think about the present day politics........ Expand
  3. Mar 20, 2014
    You can tell since the beginning Fincher's touch. Netflix really knocked it out of the park with this series. Political dramas are rising nowadays and "House of Cards" is a front-runner. My main issue is that, the first half of the season spent too much time trying to describe the characters, which I don't think it was completely necessary because by the second half of the season, inYou can tell since the beginning Fincher's touch. Netflix really knocked it out of the park with this series. Political dramas are rising nowadays and "House of Cards" is a front-runner. My main issue is that, the first half of the season spent too much time trying to describe the characters, which I don't think it was completely necessary because by the second half of the season, in which the plot develops in a great way, by then you already know how the characters are going to react. You can even anticipate when Kevin Spacey is going to look at the camera (in the characteristic way he does in this show). Other than that, the series is really well acted (Kevin Spacey, Robin Wright and Kate Mara do a really good job), well written and well directed. Expand
  4. Apr 6, 2014
    Politics, suspense, intrigue, murders, lies, intimacy and affairs. A great mix of topics and incredibly well written. The depth of the characters is amazing. A great political thriller. It is creeping up on my personal list to become the best show ever, it certainly already made the top 5. Only downside: Kevin Spacey talking to the viewers which is a tool I never liked in any series butPolitics, suspense, intrigue, murders, lies, intimacy and affairs. A great mix of topics and incredibly well written. The depth of the characters is amazing. A great political thriller. It is creeping up on my personal list to become the best show ever, it certainly already made the top 5. Only downside: Kevin Spacey talking to the viewers which is a tool I never liked in any series but can forgive it for such an outstanding series. Expand
  5. May 8, 2014
    Amazing show! The show is written in such a way to appeal to different types of audiences. It has tons of suspense, political drama, and great emotional development from the characters. Kevin Spacey is amazing as Frank Underwood, and the way Frank's character is written is very Shakespearean. He routinely has monologues and asides, and it really feels like watching a modern adaptation of aAmazing show! The show is written in such a way to appeal to different types of audiences. It has tons of suspense, political drama, and great emotional development from the characters. Kevin Spacey is amazing as Frank Underwood, and the way Frank's character is written is very Shakespearean. He routinely has monologues and asides, and it really feels like watching a modern adaptation of a Shakespeare play. The show doesn't merely rely on action or suspense to keep going. It utilizes the political atmosphere of Washington to keep itself relevant. Frank and Claire are terrifying in the best ways and really exemplify what it means to be an anti-hero. This show definitely kept me on the edge of my seat the whole time, but I also love watching characters develop and emotionally interact with one another, and this show provides the best of all of those worlds. Expand
  6. Jun 8, 2014
    Started watching the first episode yesterday around 6pm. I've gone through 9 episodes in one night unable to stop and wouldn't have if I don't have work today.
  7. Dec 13, 2015
    Nothing more to add to what has been already written on this pages. Masterpiece, I loved the show from the beginning to the end. " A "MUST WATCH TV SERIES".
  8. Jan 27, 2015
    Loved this series! I think the show alone is why most of America dislikes congress and is unhappy with the government. Kevin Spacey is amazing, he pulls off the coldest character ever. The goal is simple for Frank Underwood yet the path he takes to it is exciting but also funny. As a student learning about how the government works, I would suggest this to anyone with an understanding of the US.
  9. Sep 6, 2014
    Amazing! 10/10. First 5 minutes of the very first episode and you're already hooked. After a week... I already saw the whole 2 seasons. Definitely worth the Netflix month. Brilliant acting from Kevin Spacey and the plot twists are very very unexpected especially some scenes in the few final episodes on Season 2.
  10. Aug 14, 2014
    While Bryan Cranston as Walter White in Breaking Bad will likely remain my favorite portrayal of all time, Kevin Spacey as Frank Underwood is currently my second. I love this show. The director is incredible and for the most part, the writing and performances are believable ....what a compelling show. I cannot wait for season 3.
  11. Oct 10, 2014
    I really liked Season 1 but i thought Season 2 delivered so much more. I like sex on television as much as the next 29 year old, but I felt season 2 offered more depth. The ending of season 2 in which Kevin Spacey cavalierly raps the desk was so classic.
  12. Mar 1, 2015
    This might be the shade of politics, not democracy. It might be worse in the real world. hence, I don't like politics.
    The movie shows how it works with some black humor.
    It's just necessary evil.
  13. Dec 3, 2014
    Kevin Spacey made this TV-show great.
    This has some of the best and realistic acting there has been in tv-shows.
    I don't know anything about the American government,
    but this show really showed me some great things in it.
    Good job to the producers and keep up the good work.
  14. Dec 11, 2014
    'Let the butchering begin!'
    'Let the butchering begin!'
    Academy award winner Kevin Spacey stars in a truly gripping American political drama. It details his character's, Frank Underwood's Machiavellian machinations to climb the treacherous mountain to power. Full of charm, wit, humour and of course conniving office politics, Underwood's character narrates the plot while staring at the audience in a highly original film technique.
    The soundtrack is first class, the plot, simple but varied and at times utterly compelling . The variety of supporting characters and acting is top notch, especially from Claire Underwood and Remy Danton who add spice to an already thrilling story.
    If there were any flaws in the series, and I really would be nit-picking, it would be the following:
    -No character seems to be any match for Frank Underwood and in a largely credible series, it is difficult to believe that he could proceed without any vigorous checks and balances.
    -The setting is occasionally too centred on the White House.
    -This is a rare criticism from me, but occasionally there is too much happening in terms of the plot and drama, and I feel like the story and detail could be fleshed out a little more (flashbacks, different opinions, street level discussions etc)
    -More slang and Argot could be used as the language is occasionally too formal and contrived.

Overall, a fantastic series. Can't wait for Season 3.
  15. Jan 2, 2015
    The arcing story of House of Cards flows very well. It's a very fluid, organic tale, one fueled by all the Washington turmoil but solidified by some excellent performances. The program works as well as it does largely because it's infinitely believable; there's not a sight, sound, or syllable that feels manipulated or in any way something other than plausible at worst and realistic atThe arcing story of House of Cards flows very well. It's a very fluid, organic tale, one fueled by all the Washington turmoil but solidified by some excellent performances. The program works as well as it does largely because it's infinitely believable; there's not a sight, sound, or syllable that feels manipulated or in any way something other than plausible at worst and realistic at best. The series travels through moral darkness with a strikingly believable rhythm to every step, offset by an almost gleeful cast of main characters who find a perverse pleasure in not just working the system, but taking advantage of it and using their own political skill to alter the landscape in their favor. Every character is in some way flawed -- spiteful, manipulative, dishonest, addicted, naive, oblivious -- and the program skillfully uses each and every one of those to fuel the drama and constantly shift the landscape for better or for worse, and usually the latter even if, on the individual level, it's for the former. Just as important, the production design proves top-notch in every scene; whether the Oval Office or a run-down apartment, whether a back alley rib shack or a shindig where all of the elite rub elbows with one another, House of Cards exudes a very real sense of location authenticity that will leave viewers believing it's all real or, at the very least, filmed on-location. Expand
  16. Mar 4, 2015
    A brilliantly written political thriller. I've watched all three seasons and they are all equally amazing. Intrigue, lies, murder and sickness are plaguing lives of these equally bad and corrupted couple. Watch Frank and Claire Underwood on their ruthless rise to power. Highly recommended!
  17. Jan 10, 2015
    an awesome drama showing the ugliness of politics
    kevin spacey is like The One for FRANK UNDERWOOD
    so thrilled to get the chance to see the series
    kate mara gives it a freshness an makes it more exciting with her realistic acting
  18. Sep 13, 2015
    Brilliant TV series from start to finish. You have to wonder which president they are taking inspiration from - they do seem to remind me of an ex-President and first lady that we have seen before......
  19. Jun 6, 2015
    It's been a while since I really got sucked into a high quality low-sex and gore TV series such as this. This series very convincingly reveals the underbelly of US politics or perhaps politics in general. Kevin Spacey plays Frank Underwood, master of machiavellianism and equally brilliantly played by Robin Wright is the ice-queen/slow burning Clare Underwood. The episodes are bothIt's been a while since I really got sucked into a high quality low-sex and gore TV series such as this. This series very convincingly reveals the underbelly of US politics or perhaps politics in general. Kevin Spacey plays Frank Underwood, master of machiavellianism and equally brilliantly played by Robin Wright is the ice-queen/slow burning Clare Underwood. The episodes are both interconnected and self-contained which gives the viewer a sense of satisfaction that is often missing in more cliffhanger-type series.
    Season 1 shows Franks seedy and cynical manipulations as a resentful and callous whip and has more of a soap-type feel with its interacting characters. Season two focuses on Underwoods steely determination to get to the top at any cost. Season three gets interesting when Underwood as president unhappily discovers that power alone does not guarantee his place at the top.
    This is not a series for teens, nor for those who don't wish to think seriously about the nature of power and leadership. It has little humor, a sprinkling of action and the scenery is neither breathtaking nor dramatic. It is, however brilliantly acted (the casting is simply fantastic) and gives us a fly-on-the -wall view of a world we only know from the outside.
  20. Mar 6, 2015
    A great show with a lot of potential. Offers a great first season. The Underwoods are incredibly fun to watch even if it is a guilty pleasure. Watching them tact their way with deception and manipulation through DC is an absolute pleasure.
  21. Mar 11, 2015
    熬夜看完。第三季少了第二季的狗血,多了不少儿女情长。。。人物尤其是女性角色占用了更大的篇幅,刻画的也更鲜明,毕竟是一部打着大数据分析噱头的电视剧,更精确的迎合了市场,毕竟再是政治剧,女性也是电视剧的主要观众。这季剧情明显慢了不少,一季拆成两季编就必定会是哈七的效果。。。无论如何,期待第四季。熬夜看完。第三季少了第二季的狗血,多了不少儿女情长。。。人物尤其是女性角色占用了更大的篇幅,刻画的也更鲜明,毕竟是一部打着大数据分析噱头的电视剧,更精确的迎合了市场,毕竟再是政治剧,女性也是电视剧的主要观众。这季剧情明显慢了不少,一季拆成两季编就必定会是哈七的效果。。。无论如何,期待第四季。
  22. Mar 14, 2015
    Absolutely amazing show. Every season and episode is like a book you can't put down. I'm always angry when I've finished the season and have to wait for the next.
  23. Sep 4, 2015
    All around a great story drama. Kevin Spacey is great in his role as a Congressman working the system to become President. But the show is not only politics, it accounts for the relations of the characters outside of work. Great show, recommend to any Netflix user.
  24. Oct 11, 2015
    Who: Kevin Spacey, Jenny Gump, and the world's most dedicated bodyguard
    What: The most entertaining White House since the Clinton administration
    Where: A corrupt White House full of betrayal, foul play, and pushing people under the bus. The twist is, POTUS is a democrat ​When (will I be addicted to this show): If Kevin Spacey's monologue at the end of episode 3 doesn't do it for you,
    Who: Kevin Spacey, Jenny Gump, and the world's most dedicated bodyguard
    What: The most entertaining White House since the Clinton administration
    ​When (will I be addicted to this show): If Kevin Spacey's monologue at the end of episode 3 doesn't do it for you, this show might not be for you. Otherwise you will be begging for more by the end of the first season
    Why: You should watch this show if you are a fan of Kevin Spacey or Political Dramas. If Scandal is too tame, or if Martin Sheen doesn't kill enough people for your liking, then this show is for you.
  25. Nov 7, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. When people talk about binge watching a TV show for several hours on Netflix, it all started with House of Cards. One of the best political dramas that will get you hooked all thanks to Kevin Spacey's soliloquy in the first episode and you will be hooked for several more episodes before coming back to reality. Expand
  26. Mar 18, 2016
    Seasons 1 & 2 are some of my favorite television I've ever watched. While seasons 3 & 4 have the same feel and production quality, something is off in my opinion. The acting is still first-class, but for some reason the story lines do not resonate with me as much. Regardless, Frank Underwood is one of the best "bad guys" that you'll somehow catch yourself continually rooting for. This isSeasons 1 & 2 are some of my favorite television I've ever watched. While seasons 3 & 4 have the same feel and production quality, something is off in my opinion. The acting is still first-class, but for some reason the story lines do not resonate with me as much. Regardless, Frank Underwood is one of the best "bad guys" that you'll somehow catch yourself continually rooting for. This is an amazing look at politics...maybe a super-dark version of the West Wing. This may be the show that invented the concept of binge watching, and for good reason. Expand
  27. Mar 30, 2016
    Actually the first 60 minute format show I enjoyed watching. Still the show needs some time to pick up the right pace and tone IMO. Spacey is spot on for the role he is playing and the supporting cast is stronger than in most TV shows.
  28. Mar 31, 2016
    This show. Is sometimes hard to watch but for the right reasons. The show pushes the envelope on my belief system and makes me consider what people are capable of when they seek power. I know the show is fiction but it is very realistic in its approach to things and it shows the darkness that can be in people.
  29. Mar 31, 2016
    There just aren't enough superlatives in the thesaurus to do proper justice to this series. Kevin Spacey is pitch perfect..sly, shrewd, smart, scheming and murderously ambitious..married to the perfect mate, and served by the cold blooded mendacity of his assistant(s). Once you've seen this series you will never see a political story on the news again without thinking of House of Cards.There just aren't enough superlatives in the thesaurus to do proper justice to this series. Kevin Spacey is pitch perfect..sly, shrewd, smart, scheming and murderously ambitious..married to the perfect mate, and served by the cold blooded mendacity of his assistant(s). Once you've seen this series you will never see a political story on the news again without thinking of House of Cards. To say anymore risks spoiling the surprises. Just turn it on, sit back, and try to remember its fiction! Expand
  30. Sep 1, 2016
    Welcome to the dirty inner politics !!
    Welcome to the dirty inner politics !!
    The first season of this American adaption of BBC's mini series is a cynical,slick and engrossing.Kevin Spacey superbly plays Frank Underwood,a Democrat who starts out as the Secretary of State and rises to new political levels through ruthless pragmatism.Rob Wright as Claire Underwood is as good as Spacey. "The House of Card spirals high on a twisted foundation"-in the words of Mark A.Perigard of Boston Herald.

1. Reviewed by: Emily Nussbaum
    Feb 22, 2013
    I found the first two episodes handsome but sleazy, like a C.E.O. in a hotel bar. Yet by Episode 5 I was hypnotized by the show’s ensemble of two-faced sociopaths. Episode 8 was a thoughtful side trip into sympathy for Spacey’s devilish main character, but by then I was exhausted, and only my compulsive streak kept me going until the finale--at which point I was critically destabilized and looking forward to Season 2.
  2. Reviewed by: Ed Bark
    Feb 6, 2013
    Watch at whatever pace you'd like--immediately. Given its quality, I think you'll be drinking it all in sooner rather than later.
  3. Reviewed by: Tom Long
    Feb 1, 2013
    Fincher's unemotional style comes through in the first two episodes, and the show could use more heat. But Spacey makes it worth watching.