• Network: Netflix
  • Series Premiere Date: Feb 1, 2013
Season #: 1, 2, 3
9.0

1. Feb 1, 2013
    Absolutely amazing! Loved it, from the beginning to the end of the first 2 episodes I've watched. It has the David Fincher mood in it, Kevin Spacey's constant neutrality in every bit of the show in a really cold blooded character, and the fluidity in which the story unfolds. Seriously, great show, watch it if you can, or get 1 month free on Netflix just to watch this. Best premiere I'veAbsolutely amazing! Loved it, from the beginning to the end of the first 2 episodes I've watched. It has the David Fincher mood in it, Kevin Spacey's constant neutrality in every bit of the show in a really cold blooded character, and the fluidity in which the story unfolds. Seriously, great show, watch it if you can, or get 1 month free on Netflix just to watch this. Best premiere I've seen in a series for a LONG time, maybe the best since Breaking Bad. Expand
  2. Jul 9, 2013
    A decent series that stars off brilliantly but then somehow slows down to become something that would put a crack addict to sleep (and yes, that is a paraphrase). The first 3 to 4 episodes are beyond amazing. The dialogues are brilliant, the editing better than any series one could think of, and the stunning performances of Spacey, Wright and Mara are able to overcome the challenge ofA decent series that stars off brilliantly but then somehow slows down to become something that would put a crack addict to sleep (and yes, that is a paraphrase). The first 3 to 4 episodes are beyond amazing. The dialogues are brilliant, the editing better than any series one could think of, and the stunning performances of Spacey, Wright and Mara are able to overcome the challenge of their almost unrealistically dark characters. Those episodes are also the ones where viewer will grin with satisfaction as they follow the gloriously Machiavellian schemes of the amoral Francis Underwood. But then, for whatever reason, the story starts to slow down and the implausible plot twist just start piling up. Characters start moving back and forth in their ideas, plans and alliances where in the end, nothing really happens. Its a common technique used in series that need to fill more episodes than the story can hold (Prison Break being a prime example), but House of Cards starts off so well you don't see it coming. Moreover, the editing becomes sloppy, the repetitive conversations make you feel as if you're stuck in a loop and ultimately even the great Francis Underwood gives off the impression of being a bloated fool, something I can't imagine the creators intended him to be.
    House of Cards certainly can't be considered to be a bad series, but its unfortunate that the brilliance of the first episode have to make room for a very average follow up of predictability and emptiness.
  3. Aug 14, 2014
    While Bryan Cranston as Walter White in Breaking Bad will likely remain my favorite portrayal of all time, Kevin Spacey as Frank Underwood is currently my second. I love this show. The director is incredible and for the most part, the writing and performances are believable ....what a compelling show. I cannot wait for season 3.
  4. Jul 26, 2013
    If you watch the first 10 minutes be for warned, you may have to watch all episodes. I watched the 1990 version set in England. It was good but this was great. Keven Spacy sinks his teeth into this part like only he can do. This is really good.
  5. Jul 2, 2014
    Great cast. Fantastic script. The dialogue, the characters, and the plot itself are very interesting and highly entertaining. Decided to give this show a try after some glowing recommendations from my friends, and I honestly watched the first six episodes in one day because I couldn't get enough of it.

As an aside, I love the whole releasing all the episodes at once deal so that you can watch the season in your own time.
  6. Sep 6, 2013
    House of Cards is highly political but party agnostic, stripping politicians down to what they truly are. Kevin Spacey delivers. Welcome to the party, Netflix!
  7. Mar 3, 2013
    This is not a show for idealists. There are no heroes, and at best the characters you meet are ambiguous or are victim to their lesser angels. But as a study in the pursuit of power the show excels. And though the plot starts slow and methodical, by the end the different story lines weave together powerfully. A few of the characters are underdeveloped (the President and Chief of Staff,This is not a show for idealists. There are no heroes, and at best the characters you meet are ambiguous or are victim to their lesser angels. But as a study in the pursuit of power the show excels. And though the plot starts slow and methodical, by the end the different story lines weave together powerfully. A few of the characters are underdeveloped (the President and Chief of Staff, both seem underwhelmingly small compared to the protagonists), but the cast overall is solid. Kevin Spacey as Frank Underwood and Corey Stoll as Peter Russo are fantastic. The cinematography is dark and sophisticated and perfectly suited to the subject matter. There could be some stronger female characters: West Wing this show is not but where's C.J. Cregg? That aside, this show got so strong by the end and was a joy to watch. Can't wait till Season 2. Expand
  8. May 15, 2013
    I went into house of cards expecting a fairly mundane and diatribe on the horrible corrupt politicians and how terrible it is, and to an extent that's what I got but ultimately the acting was incredibly well done (Everyone is complaining about Zoe, but her monotone etc. was part of her character). The characters while not relate able were well done and believable. The filming, scripts,I went into house of cards expecting a fairly mundane and diatribe on the horrible corrupt politicians and how terrible it is, and to an extent that's what I got but ultimately the acting was incredibly well done (Everyone is complaining about Zoe, but her monotone etc. was part of her character). The characters while not relate able were well done and believable. The filming, scripts, story etc. were all incredible, great show, glad I got to see it. Great job Netflix. Expand
  9. Jul 26, 2013
    Kevin Spacey at his finest, couldn't stop watching, ripped through a season in 2 days! Dark and mischievous, great acting from the supporters as well...highly recommended...
  10. Aug 19, 2013
    House of Cards did not let me down, the show which delivered an incredible almost cinematic presence in my own home simply glowed. House of Cards follows US Representative Frank Underwood who after being refused a promotion he was promised moves forward to exact revenge on those who betrayed him.

As I said before the show itself presents itself in an almost cinematic persona. From its camera shots to its darker color scheme, the show has such a big onscreen presence that for all I knew I could have been in a cinema while watching this addictive thriller. The great thing about Netflix making an original drama is it gets rid of the weeks of waiting to find out what happens next, all I have to do is watch about 15 seconds of credits and it will jump straight to the next episode. It’s brilliant.

The show itself contains heart-stopping acting, I could actually see Kevin Spacey being Frank Underwood, there was no hint of who any of the actors where in real life, every single one of them put in such strong performances that I just had to see what they were going to do next. Not a single shody actor in the whole series.

The show is written and directed to perfection. With the first two episodes directed by David Fincher they are just obviously sublime. Despite David Fincher not directing any of the other episodes there is no decline in quality, he might as well of directed them all. The show continues on the high standards it started on while continuously upping its anti in entertainment value.

With great twists and turns House of Cards will keep you on your seat and wondering is 15 seconds to long of a wait for the next episode?
  11. Aug 26, 2013
    They should have left Francis as a self-serving egomaniac or even penned him as an unscrupulous wheeler dealer. But they crossed the line when they made him a murderer. If I wanted to watch a show about a murdering manipulator I’d watch DEXTER where the characters morph from lovable to ethically questionable and then back again. And the only real bad guy is Dexter, but he’s so gosh darnThey should have left Francis as a self-serving egomaniac or even penned him as an unscrupulous wheeler dealer. But they crossed the line when they made him a murderer. If I wanted to watch a show about a murdering manipulator I’d watch DEXTER where the characters morph from lovable to ethically questionable and then back again. And the only real bad guy is Dexter, but he’s so gosh darn lovable that you want to overlook the fact that he’s a serial killer…and besides he only kills people that deserve it. Francis murdered a congressman who didn’t deserve to die, he was pathetic, yes, but hardly deserved to die. Ethics is a grey area…but murder is not. The producers should have set this up better, so the viewers would want to keep following the antics of Francis. And besides Dexter is kinda cute and Kevin Spacey, well, isn’t at all…not even a little. People need a character to put their hope in; if not for the sake of the show then for humanity in general. Without hope its just a bunch of despicable characters & clashing bodies lacking purpose or reason.There needs to be the faintest sense of virtue or hope. And lets face it 'House of Cards' isn’t exactly brimming with virtuous characters, they’re all fairly detestable. Francis is so hubris that he’s funny in his unscrupulous underhanded dealing.But the producers blew it by turning him into a murderer. Now, in order to save the show, they will need to come up with some quick conspiracy to bring the congressman ‘back to life’. That's the only way this show can be saved. The viewers are not so callus as to simply condone a murder and then plod along precariously with the protagonist as if it never happened. There is only two ways this will end…and neither is good: Francis gets caught for his crime OR he doesn’t get caught for his crime; either way the show is pretty much ruined. Expand
  12. Sep 17, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The writing is nothing short of brilliant. SPOILER ALERT: STOP READING NOW IF YOU HAVEN'T SEEN THE SERIES.

Spacey's asides draw us into his confidence, but we are slowly inclined to betray him as the series progresses--just as other characters do.

It's an amazing affect I've never experienced, and it's utterly absorbing.

This is not interactive tv, but it feels like it. And we are drawn into the action as we learn every characters' weaknesses and desires.

Little things matter, too: The subtle change in Claire's character when the homeless man fashioned the twenty dollar donation into a swan and flicked it at her. Genius. Moments like that make great drama.

winston Q summers
  13. Oct 9, 2013
    House of Cards is a highly intelligent adult drama regarding corrupt politicians and one devious man's vengeance against the system that wronged him. It's clever, witty and dangerous. Unfortunately, not all of the episodes contain these elements. Some of them are very boring, dull, and super slow moving which is why I can't rate the show higher than a 7. At times, Kevin Spacey's characterHouse of Cards is a highly intelligent adult drama regarding corrupt politicians and one devious man's vengeance against the system that wronged him. It's clever, witty and dangerous. Unfortunately, not all of the episodes contain these elements. Some of them are very boring, dull, and super slow moving which is why I can't rate the show higher than a 7. At times, Kevin Spacey's character does things that are downright unlikable, and sometimes it's hard to get behind him, but for the most part, he's pretty badass. I'd recommend this show to fan's of The West Wing, Veep, Death Note, Boston Legal, and The Blacklist. Does that list seem as random to you as it does to me? I bet it does, but all those shows are very intelligent in their writing and their use of their character's witt. Expand
  14. Feb 9, 2014
    Binge-watching season one which is rehabilitating depraved regions of my primordial reptile brain and making them feel smarter and socially acceptable
  15. Mar 29, 2014
    I wholeheartedly suggest that before starting the first episode, you get munchies set up along side you and strap yourself in with a seat-belt for the ride of your life. Kevin Spacey was born to be Francis Underwood. I have not seen in my 65 years any political drama that is so engrossing. The characters are real to life, with everyday problems. When you are watching the story unfold,I wholeheartedly suggest that before starting the first episode, you get munchies set up along side you and strap yourself in with a seat-belt for the ride of your life. Kevin Spacey was born to be Francis Underwood. I have not seen in my 65 years any political drama that is so engrossing. The characters are real to life, with everyday problems. When you are watching the story unfold, think about the present day politics........ Expand
  16. ysd
    Mar 15, 2014
    Season2 - Points for acting. Writing not so much. Consistent victory of the political mafia all the way to presidency with scandalous debauchery makes it so predictable. We get it - Politics is beyond dirty. But making murderers out of unelected presidents. At episode 2, I suspected the grand finale , by season 7 - I was on it. Regardless Good entertainment but bored by the end. TooSeason2 - Points for acting. Writing not so much. Consistent victory of the political mafia all the way to presidency with scandalous debauchery makes it so predictable. We get it - Politics is beyond dirty. But making murderers out of unelected presidents. At episode 2, I suspected the grand finale , by season 7 - I was on it. Regardless Good entertainment but bored by the end. Too predictable and too desperate to scandal. Makes the media and FBI and CIA look like ignorant goons Expand
  17. Feb 9, 2013
    I wanted to love this series. A dark look at the underbelly of politics? Sounds good to me! Unfortunately, it feels like the show is confused. Plot points are introduced, but there's no tension. Everything goes according to plan for Mr. Underwood, and Ms. Barnes, and its boring. Spacey is great for the role, and watching him knock the cards over is entertaining. But, it's too easy. AndI wanted to love this series. A dark look at the underbelly of politics? Sounds good to me! Unfortunately, it feels like the show is confused. Plot points are introduced, but there's no tension. Everything goes according to plan for Mr. Underwood, and Ms. Barnes, and its boring. Spacey is great for the role, and watching him knock the cards over is entertaining. But, it's too easy. And that's also where his asides fall flat too. He almost gets away with the truisms, and clichés, because he fits that charismatic Southern gentleman role. But, without any struggle, and without offering anything new, the asides just feel...awkward. Simply put, the show's premise is quite interesting, but the illogic of some of the characters, and the ease at which Underwood pulls the strings, leaves the show feeling pretty empty. Expand
  18. Feb 5, 2013
    Fantastic series. Watched all of the episodes last weekend. Now I have to wait a year for Season 2. Not that carzy about the Kate Mara character. If you liked this series check out the BBC original.
  19. Feb 5, 2013
    I can live with the slow pace of the series I'm that person who thinks that
    2001 Space Odyssey is hours too short. The writing is incredible as in incredible linear, but hey, I watched it with a cold, so that's good.
    I can live with the unchanged tone of voice of the whole series it wants to be in it's own world. But what I can't live with is that I didn't make an epic journey. I
    I can live with the slow pace of the series I'm that person who thinks that

I wasn't swept away by unexpected twists, because there were none. The makers got 50 mil. and 13 hours to explore the characters and make
    them got from A to B or C, perhaps D, hey why not E? It felt as I was
    commuting from Powerrr Corrupts to Powerr Really Corrupts all the time.
  20. Feb 6, 2013
    High production values but weak storytelling and no sympathetic characters. Kevin Spacey is an amazing actor but 2 things weigh him down here: 1) mediocre southern accent that blunts his usual sharp delivery 2) the device of his character speaking directly into the camera. The latter is really the killer for me. It's as bad as using voiceover. Worse, actually. Breaks the 4th wall and notHigh production values but weak storytelling and no sympathetic characters. Kevin Spacey is an amazing actor but 2 things weigh him down here: 1) mediocre southern accent that blunts his usual sharp delivery 2) the device of his character speaking directly into the camera. The latter is really the killer for me. It's as bad as using voiceover. Worse, actually. Breaks the 4th wall and not in a good way. Show the story, don't just look at the audience and tell them what's happening! As others have said, the plot machinations are basically cruel revenge schemes perpetrated by one group of corrupt people against other corrupt people. This happens to appeal to my evil misanthrope side a little. But in general there is not much of anyone to care about in this show. Even the archetypal "spunky young reporter" character ruins everything by using her sex appeal to get ahead. Expand
  21. Feb 2, 2013
    THE WEST WING TIMES A 100 WITH DARK HUMOR AND EXCELLENT DIALOGUE. This is a must to watch, DO NOT hesitate to see this amazing show. Spacey you are excellent, the charisma that he has with his wife and uniquely cunning portrayal of blackmailing Washington style jipper jabber. Will define the new generation of television.
  22. Feb 1, 2013
    Terrific show; Incredible performances, sharp writing, and, of course, David effing Fincher at the helm. This show is destined to be a classic. Between this, and the return of Arrested Development, Netflix has outdone itself.
  23. Feb 2, 2013
    I'd watch the whole series, but I need to sleep. I'm at chapter 5. Well done Netflix, cast, and crew. My subscription is starting to pay off. Not sure why it cost a $100M to make though.
  24. Feb 2, 2013
    Aside from Breaking Bad, House of Cards is better than anything currently airing on TV. Acting, cinematography, music, and plot are as good or better than most big budget Hollywood movies. In fact, I think it's better to think of this as a movie divided into 13 parts instead of as a traditional TV show. House of Cards is the first step (leap) in making broadcast television irrelevant. IAside from Breaking Bad, House of Cards is better than anything currently airing on TV. Acting, cinematography, music, and plot are as good or better than most big budget Hollywood movies. In fact, I think it's better to think of this as a movie divided into 13 parts instead of as a traditional TV show. House of Cards is the first step (leap) in making broadcast television irrelevant. I have no doubt that some critics have been told to keep that fact in mind. Expand
  25. Feb 2, 2013
    Best political show with West Wing. Shows the underbelly of American politics with no apologies. Love the occasional aside from the main character to the viewer giving a little more in depth information about what is going on. I am hooked. Started the series today and could not stop watching it.Netflix produces better tv than any of the 4 networks could ever hope to. Love that the leadBest political show with West Wing. Shows the underbelly of American politics with no apologies. Love the occasional aside from the main character to the viewer giving a little more in depth information about what is going on. I am hooked. Started the series today and could not stop watching it.Netflix produces better tv than any of the 4 networks could ever hope to. Love that the lead character is from my home state of SC but that part of the state does not like the dems very much lol. Expand
  26. Feb 3, 2013
    I must say that I had low expectations for this show, but boy cell was I wrong. The acting is phenomenal, the writing is excellent, and the entire show is very professionally made. HBO watch out, Netflix proved that it knows how to produce shows. My only warning about this show is that it is very difficult to only watch one episode in one sitting. Once you start watching it you won't wantI must say that I had low expectations for this show, but boy cell was I wrong. The acting is phenomenal, the writing is excellent, and the entire show is very professionally made. HBO watch out, Netflix proved that it knows how to produce shows. My only warning about this show is that it is very difficult to only watch one episode in one sitting. Once you start watching it you won't want to stop. You've been warned. Expand
  27. Feb 1, 2013
    Brilliantly written, brilliant acted, and David Fincher and his friends have created one of the most thrilling and addicting shows in a long time. I haven't seen a show so stylish and engaging since Breaking Bad premiered in 2008. You will instantly love this show.
  28. Feb 1, 2013
    Exciting and creative show. Comparable to any HBO or Showtimes series. Acting, writing, camera work, directing..all are superb. Kevin Spacey always delivers and Robin Wright is excellent.
  29. Feb 1, 2013
    I loved it! Kevin Spacey does a great job. i liked the whole cast of actors. I wanted to immediately watch another episode! But seeing as it is after midnight.... Can't wait to see more. I think Netfix has got a hit.
  30. Feb 3, 2013
    I have thoroughly enjoyed watching this show. Uncompromising, dark but not cartoonishly dark. The show is at its absolute best when its following the gritty mercenary style of Washington politics. I recommend it highly.

1. Reviewed by: Emily Nussbaum
    Feb 22, 2013
    I found the first two episodes handsome but sleazy, like a C.E.O. in a hotel bar. Yet by Episode 5 I was hypnotized by the show’s ensemble of two-faced sociopaths. Episode 8 was a thoughtful side trip into sympathy for Spacey’s devilish main character, but by then I was exhausted, and only my compulsive streak kept me going until the finale--at which point I was critically destabilized and looking forward to Season 2.
  2. Reviewed by: Ed Bark
    Feb 6, 2013
    Watch at whatever pace you'd like--immediately. Given its quality, I think you'll be drinking it all in sooner rather than later.
  3. Reviewed by: Tom Long
    Feb 1, 2013
    Fincher's unemotional style comes through in the first two episodes, and the show could use more heat. But Spacey makes it worth watching.