• Network: Netflix
  • Series Premiere Date: Feb 1, 2013
Season #: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
8.9

1. Mar 21, 2013
    Actor Kevin Spacey has proven time and time again that he is a master when playing evil manipulative characters in movies and television shows. Who better to play a modern day politician than him? House of Cards, the second all online series produced by Netflix, is a modern day political revenge show based on a BBC mini-series of the same name. The show is produced and directed by DavidActor Kevin Spacey has proven time and time again that he is a master when playing evil manipulative characters in movies and television shows. Who better to play a modern day politician than him? House of Cards, the second all online series produced by Netflix, is a modern day political revenge show based on a BBC mini-series of the same name. The show is produced and directed by David Fincher (The Social Network, Se7en) and written by Aaron Sorkin (The West Wing). The series follows Democratic Congressman Francis “Frank” Underwood (Kevin Spacey) when he is betrayed by the president he helped elect. Like any self-respecting megalomaniac would do, he turns his considerable talents of manipulation against anyone even barely associated with the administration. Underwood is not a nice man and he reflects the worst attributes seen in political leaders over the last few decades. House of Card’s Underwood is unique not only because of his clever abilities to manipulate the cast of characters he comes across, but also his ability to break the fourth wall and address the audience directly. Occasionally, Underwood will turn to the camera and addresses the audience in his thick yet very likable southern accent. He’ll explain what his opponents are thinking about, the inevitable outcome of the situation or state his plan of action before moving forward. Midway into a conversation with a political opponent he’ll raise an eyebrow at the camera and wink. It’s an effective tool to educate and charm the audience. Spacey is supported by a very talented cast of equally flawed and somewhat deranged characters as well. Underwood’s better half, played brilliantly by actress Robin Wright, is his wife Claire. Ms. Underwood is beautiful and intelligent, but is just as cold and calculating as Frank. Unlike her husband however, she displays actual feelings of affection and remorse. Claire and Frank are devoted to each other in their own unique way, but Claire does display some bitterness towards her past decisions. Other characters include Zoe Barnes (Kate Mara), an ambitious young journalist receiving leaked information from Underwood; Doug Stamper (Michael Kelly), Underwood’s chief of staff who operates more like a gangster than a political assistant; and Peter Russo (Corey Stoll), a Congressman controlled by Underwood who suffers from severe alcoholism and drug abuse. You only need to watch one episode of House of Cards to know if you’ll like it. The show primarily focuses on Underwood’s schemes and the devolution of the characters he interacts with. Such dark material may not be appealing to all viewers. If anyone has an interest in watching the inner workings of Capitol Hill, or the inner workings of the mind of a sociopath, House Cards is the answer to both. Expand
  2. Mar 25, 2013
    My husband and I are addicted. We just finished "Chapter 13" tonight. We devoured them. Please don't say it's over! Nooo... Kevin Spacey's breaking the fourth wall and his facial expressions are awesome. Don't become attached to anyone, anyone. Still, you will love hating almost all of them.
  3. Apr 6, 2013
    The stroies are intriguing and actors did excellent job including Kevin, Robin, and Corey. I can't wait for the second season to start. Netflix 's gamble is winning, and I stick to it.
  4. Apr 14, 2013
    Awesome start, loved it, finished it in less than 3 days. Kelvin was at his best. Always love politics, I loved the starting music and everything about it, waiting for the next one.
  5. May 7, 2013
    We’ve reached the new “Golden Age” of television drama, at least as proclaimed by some I’m rightfully assuming incalculably proficient and accomplished internet authors. As a incalculably proficient and accomplished internet author myself, I happen to ardently agree. You can’t argue that in recent years we have been witness to spikes in writing, acting, and overall production quality onWe’ve reached the new “Golden Age” of television drama, at least as proclaimed by some I’m rightfully assuming incalculably proficient and accomplished internet authors. As a incalculably proficient and accomplished internet author myself, I happen to ardently agree. You can’t argue that in recent years we have been witness to spikes in writing, acting, and overall production quality on many networks’ drama programming. Most impressive though, is the progression’s movement towards streaming. Companies such as Netflix and Hulu have begun to accumulate original programming that is apparently actually worth while.

A few months back (yes, yes, I know I’m months late it’s our staple to be late, get over it), Netflix launched it’s original program (actually a remake of a British miniseries), House of Cards, and after marathon-ing through the episodes, I can’t say enough good things about it. The series opens spectacularly; Kevin Spacey stares into the camera with cold eyes as he suffocates and injured dog, monologuing:

Read More: http://www.recomedia.net/filmtv/house-of-cards/
  6. Oct 19, 2013
    Kevin Spacey at his best! He leads this show on through the incredible story and the heart of our nation's capital. This show is brilliant in every way and to see Spacey's character get darker and darker is a ride that you wont, no CANT miss.
  7. May 3, 2013
    Kevin Spacey is indeed fantastic as always. His wife, played by Robin Wright, is great as well; I just wish she would fill that deep hole in her neck or wear a necklace to cover it up as it tends to be distracting from her great performance. The rest of the cast is also terrific The cd's did a great job! I look forward to more episodes.
  8. Jun 2, 2013
    the show is a reimagining of a british show, that was the product of its era and location. its an uneasy fit imho. both culturally and the context of its place on a timeline of changing circumstance, it is an awkward transplant. the british one was coming at the end of thatcherism and explored the potential chaos as the 80s turned into the 90s from the mindset of someone who was old in thethe show is a reimagining of a british show, that was the product of its era and location. its an uneasy fit imho. both culturally and the context of its place on a timeline of changing circumstance, it is an awkward transplant. the british one was coming at the end of thatcherism and explored the potential chaos as the 80s turned into the 90s from the mindset of someone who was old in the 80s. this one has no such cultural momentum, and has a different tone. the first one was black comedy in a british sense. it was basically about following a rogue and a pantomime villain. this one plays it a lot more straight. whats lacking is the import of a "boss" or the comedy of (trying to think of an american version of this kind of dark comedy)"profit". culturally this show falls squarely between profit and boss.

despite every thing i said, its very good. its just far too pedestrian and lacking in any cultural verve to be great. it is technically sound, and the production values are crisp. you wont be watching something that doesnt "work". And..it is well worth watching. i dont know what it adds to the genre, but it seems to get all the right elements down to a tee.

boss is far better.

the original is of a different era and culture for even myself, and im a limey. things have changed quite a bit in the last 2 decades.

this one was well worth watching, and any lacking was a product of its transplant status and a lack of a real character of its own. it moves the story and setting well enough, but the fault lines are from a different product. it needs its own rugged identity, and i think its only half way there, with too many echos of boss.

boss was brilliant though. this is... available.
  9. May 14, 2013
    Excellent program. All the actors are superb and well cast. Can't wait for season 2! I enjoy Spacey's dialogues directly with the viewer which can help lay a foundation for his strategies---and they can be full of cheek. Robin Wright's "Claire" is a sophisticated character wife worthy of her marriage to the cold blooded Spacey. She humanizes him yet is every bit as opportunistic as he.Excellent program. All the actors are superb and well cast. Can't wait for season 2! I enjoy Spacey's dialogues directly with the viewer which can help lay a foundation for his strategies---and they can be full of cheek. Robin Wright's "Claire" is a sophisticated character wife worthy of her marriage to the cold blooded Spacey. She humanizes him yet is every bit as opportunistic as he. Very interesting dynamic between these two and yet, one can believe theirs is not just a marriage of convenience for political climbing a-la Clinton's, but based on a messed up love and admiration of each other's committed role toward the other. Expand
  10. Jul 8, 2014
    This first series was slightly tedious at times, US politics not being my favorite source of entertainment. However, I was curious about Spacey's rave reviews and I like him as an actor. Given the dispassionate style of the series, I found it hard to develop a genuine interested, and I followed until the end out of mere curiosity.

Most characters are manipulative, sleazy and unpleasant.

Most characters are manipulative, sleazy and unpleasant. All seem to have hidden agendas. The plot-line gets confused and for me it will never make sense how the journalist played by Mara actually figured out that Frank is a lying bastard and possibly a murder. The part about Frank supporting Peter was genuine enough and Frank changed his plan only after Claire sort if stabbed him in the back.

Hence, the "conspiracy theory from the start" does not make sense. Not one of my favorite series, but Spacey and Wright are good, although Ms. Wright wardrobe is super boring, with her black pencil skirts, sprayed on shirts and perennial stiletto heels, she looks like a parody of a "power woman", just out of an ad for any expensive designer brand.
  11. Aug 6, 2015
    Impeccable performances. All the casting seems correct and it's even clearer when analysing individuals. However the shows main success point is that we can admire it for what it is. Underwood's character and the D.C he lives in, are both unforgiving. That's the motor that drives this incredibly addictive television series forward and onto our screens repeatedly. The show can occasionallyImpeccable performances. All the casting seems correct and it's even clearer when analysing individuals. However the shows main success point is that we can admire it for what it is. Underwood's character and the D.C he lives in, are both unforgiving. That's the motor that drives this incredibly addictive television series forward and onto our screens repeatedly. The show can occasionally find it hard to create tension, and those who are not decently acquainted with politics will notice this the most. Whilst the setting poses a challenge to the writers, in finding ways to kill off characters convincingly and realistically. House of Cards breaks the fourth wall with undeniable confidence, it was a brave choice, but it was worth it. In my opinion House of Cards is the most intelligent show of 2013. Whether it's Spacey showing his true feelings by giving the camera an unimpressed glare or his wife Claire conducting ambitious plans of her own, House of Cards is the new playground for political conspiracy and clever ideas Expand
  12. May 28, 2013
    Plot is thick and travels through episodes elegantly and with good pacing. Characters very interesting, and well developed from first episode and seem to morph into even richer, more nuanced expressions. The story line in each episode is given in unique fragments. For instance you'll see them drafting a bill bringing someone on, but you have no idea how this character or experience orPlot is thick and travels through episodes elegantly and with good pacing. Characters very interesting, and well developed from first episode and seem to morph into even richer, more nuanced expressions. The story line in each episode is given in unique fragments. For instance you'll see them drafting a bill bringing someone on, but you have no idea how this character or experience or subject matter blends with entire story line. Later on you'll see exactly how they fit in just right. The entire display keeps you thoroughly engaged. Expand
  13. Jun 4, 2013
    Absolutely love this show. Gripping from the outset, Spacey is particularly brilliant. I really enjoy the way you get to see into his mind and really understand how the characters ticks. He's the bad guy that you end up rooting for because it is presented so well! A must watch.
  14. Jul 14, 2013
    House of Cards has an absolutely phenomenal first season making the viewers crave for more. From the acting, to the story; everything is spot on. This show is worth watching for Kevin Spacey (playing politically corrupt Frank Underwood) alone. Not only does Mr. Spacey do an incredible job, but all the other actors are spot on as well. Most notably Robin Wright's portrayal of Frank's mostlyHouse of Cards has an absolutely phenomenal first season making the viewers crave for more. From the acting, to the story; everything is spot on. This show is worth watching for Kevin Spacey (playing politically corrupt Frank Underwood) alone. Not only does Mr. Spacey do an incredible job, but all the other actors are spot on as well. Most notably Robin Wright's portrayal of Frank's mostly loyal wife. The show requires you to suspend your belief at points, but it would not be as good of a drama if it were completely realistic. I would recommend everyone to watch this show. Expand
  15. Sep 1, 2013
    Absolutely amazing, Kevin Spacey at his finest and Robin Wright complementing him splendidly as well. Started the first episode for Spacey but ended up completing the entire First season in one go!!!!
  16. Jun 26, 2016
    Have you ever wondered what thrives the inner depths of basic politics, and the personalities behind them? Welcome to Washington.

House of Cards. A very artistic & cleverly written show. It got the power to deceive but also to confuse the viewer. It’s a groundbreaking political drama that shines with stunning inside to characters, likeable as hateful ones – and you care for both! They develop through all these good and bad events toward their paths to political success. It’s a world full of deception, disbelief & threats – a very dark place. It’s strange – because it really is easy to get attached to this ugly and disgraceful place and its characters. It’s a story full of ups and downs – a story that always got something going on from episode one, and it’s a thrilling ride of drama! Its politics can be a bit complex for the simple minded – and drama isn’t a thing for everybody and it sure can be slow and lack clever writing from episode to episode. Pacing issues might even be an issue. But the show succeeds when it comes to everything else. Just the well-written dialogs, which often include meaningful and metaphorical quotes, are a masterpiece. And the cinematography is just unequalled. This isn’t just a political drama – it’s a beautifully crafted show of art.

Overall personal rating for each episode: 75.7/100

Personal rating: 80/100
    Critical rating: 93/100
  17. Aug 3, 2013
    Ingeniously bold! Excellent performances from Kevin Spacey coupled with great intersecting plot lines. This show is even a hit among politicians in Washington
  18. Feb 11, 2014
    Congressman Francis Underwood (Kevin Spacey) is the smartest guy in Washington, but we meet him just as he suffers a devastating betrayal shifting his career into neutral, but this is only the beginning. We can tell by his acute composure and his stiff body language that even though he is extremely distraught, he is very far from defeated. He will never reveal his distress. That would be aCongressman Francis Underwood (Kevin Spacey) is the smartest guy in Washington, but we meet him just as he suffers a devastating betrayal shifting his career into neutral, but this is only the beginning. We can tell by his acute composure and his stiff body language that even though he is extremely distraught, he is very far from defeated. He will never reveal his distress. That would be a sign of weakness. Underwood will even play his subservient role, for now, but eventually, his time will come, with the help of reporter Zoe Barnes (Kate Mara) Perfectly cast as here, Mara has a unique allure as an actress, and as with all her roles, she is unassumingly engulfing.

The congressman makes it loud and clear that he yearns for power. Using off-stage, to-audience-only recitations, he shares his real thoughts and objectives; it’s like getting inside the head of a sociopath, making an almost trite connection between pathology and politics, but Spacey is so convincing as an individual, he doesn’t speak for the masses, **** the masses, that the intended commentary on the sociopathic political mindset actually becomes more ingrained and powerful than trite. It works cleverly it all its glaring obviousness.

We observe characters alone, watch them move, interpret their body language. Especially Underwood’s lovely wife Claire (Robin Wright). A fog of loneliness wafts over the show even as characters embrace, make alliances, and settle debts. Everyone competes neck-in-neck for Washington’s top spots, of which there are few.

When Netflix, supposedly nothing more than your friendly neighbourhood video store, started making its own productions, the stakes were low. But Netflix has officially hit the ball outta the park. Way Out. Both of its debut series House of Cards and Orange is the New Black are blazing successes, and not just commercially, but as statements themselves: artistically, emotionally, and stylistically unique, they are really very good. Orange is the New Black especially has come up with some ultra-creative plots and characters that are a blast to watch.

How did a first time production company, that was observably not-at-all subtle in its blazing out of the gate with such pomp and circumstance over it new shows’ greatness, make such great debut shows? With very deep pockets, they hired the expert help. Not just movies stars like Kevin Spacey, but veteran film directors.

As the debut director for the series House of Card, David Fincher sets the tone of intrigue and shadows that shroud his dark thrillers. Post-HBO renaissance, Fincher achieves what any great director working in upscale TV does: he makes the episodes come across as mini-political thrillers, pieces of cinema unto themselves. The newsroom scenes are vaguely reminiscent of Zodiac. But as he directs the first episodes, it is his footsteps all others must follow.

With so many scenes, directors of this kind of TV work hard. Big shows need a surplus of directors. Breaking Bad had a different director for almost every episode. Most directors work in other capacities on other episodes as writers or producers. Compared to film, how much does the director of the cinematic TV show’s vision actually make it to the screen? The Sopranos had dozens of directors, but none really left a distinct imprint on the show. Do we remember their names? Not really. It was the show itself that had a style.

It seems like with shows like House of Cards, The Sopranos, or Breaking Bad that the momentum of the cast, combined with writers great scripts, makes the job of the director to step in and to channel this momentum, rather than drum it up from scratch as in film. But Fincher’s first two episodes of House of Cards are the force that starts the momentum. It is his footsteps that all others must follow in what continues over the season’s following eleven intriguing episodes.
  19. Dec 4, 2017
  20. Nov 16, 2013
    Great show! Except one major detail... The settings are all wrong- Everyone knows that there are no tall buildings in DC due to the law that prevents buildings from being taller than the capitol. Every time we see Underwood's neighborhood and other local shots there are tall buildings. Also, the shots around what are supposed to be the Wash Post HQ- there is no bridge crossing anyGreat show! Except one major detail... The settings are all wrong- Everyone knows that there are no tall buildings in DC due to the law that prevents buildings from being taller than the capitol. Every time we see Underwood's neighborhood and other local shots there are tall buildings. Also, the shots around what are supposed to be the Wash Post HQ- there is no bridge crossing any side street in that neighborhood as depicted. Maddening! What's worse is that the colleague of a son of mine was hired as an extra and went to Baltimore for shooting yuk! That's what I think of when I see the outside shots. Expand
  21. Dec 12, 2014
    This is a show about how unhappy and robotic people can get by loving nothing but power and getting to power through manipulation and intrigues. Every single episode they do the same things over and over again just to get more detached and sophisticated at being cannibals
  22. Feb 2, 2014
    After watching the first two episodes, I was convinced this would become one of my favorite series of all time. Once I was down to the final two episodes of season one, however, it had completely worn out its welcome. While the acting is first-rate from Spacey and Wright, the overall plausibility of the story line suffers horribly with each subsequent plot twist. What seemed to be anAfter watching the first two episodes, I was convinced this would become one of my favorite series of all time. Once I was down to the final two episodes of season one, however, it had completely worn out its welcome. While the acting is first-rate from Spacey and Wright, the overall plausibility of the story line suffers horribly with each subsequent plot twist. What seemed to be an intelligently-written series in the first few episodes suddenly morphs into some midway point between cliche and cartoon-like. It's not awful by any stretch. Some parts of the presentation seem vivid and life-like. Regrettably, these parts are vastly outnumbered by the endless parade of far-fetched plot elements and flat dialogue. I had such high hopes for this series, especially since the acting was of the highest caliber. House of Cards, unfortunately, proves that a bad script can totally neutralize even the best dramatic performances. Expand
  23. Mar 24, 2014
    If I had the option I would give this about a 95 out of 100, but I am a round-down sort of fellow. This show grabs you by the balls and just keeps surprising you the entire way through. The level of selfish manipulation is shocking, and that's part of the charm.. It's honestly the first show I have really enjoyed that is based entirely on greed. The acting is impeccable (Whenever KevinIf I had the option I would give this about a 95 out of 100, but I am a round-down sort of fellow. This show grabs you by the balls and just keeps surprising you the entire way through. The level of selfish manipulation is shocking, and that's part of the charm.. It's honestly the first show I have really enjoyed that is based entirely on greed. The acting is impeccable (Whenever Kevin Spacey gives the camera one of his glances I chuckle). Robin Wright is fantastic as his 'just as manipulative' counterpart.
    I watched the entire series (2 Seasons) in the course of 4 or 5 days. each episode is about fifty minutes long, and there are thirteen episodes in a season. I think that in itself says something.
  24. Mar 2, 2014
    An eerie start to a great new show. A very ominous tales about the darkness of politics. Kevin Spacey and Robin Wright carries the load on a dark series waiting to get better and better.
  25. Mar 9, 2014
    Revolutionary Television!

Revolutionary Television!

House of Cards is a television drama produced by Netflix, a subscription service that allows its customers to stream shows and movies over the internet. Although Netflix is popular, the company’s ability to produce a series that has received several awards, nine Emmy nominations, and four Golden Globe nominations after only two seasons is impressive to many. Among the impressed include well-known internet review sites such as Metacritic.com, IMDB.com, and RottenTomatoes.com.
    House of Cards is a binge-worthy political drama which Netflix first premiered in 2013 and then released a second season in February of 2014. This show has absolutely set a new bar for the drama genre of television. Kevin Spacey plays a downright evil politician, Frank Underwood, who is working his way toward presidency of the United States by any means necessary. The lengths he goes to in order to hide his secrets, eliminate competition, and throw wrenches in others’ plans are baffling. Don’t get too attached to characters in this series. Much like George R.R. Martin, writer of Game of Thrones, House of Cards writer Beau Willimon keeps his audience on the edge of their seats, wondering who may be eliminated next by Underwood’s ruthless desire for power.

Orange is the New Black was another series produced by Netflix in 2013 which similarly pushed the boundaries of television drama, however House of Cards is even more captivating. As Americans, we can relate to the show’s scandals and dirty politics because what we witness in our own media is a mild version of similar events. This series simply takes that aspect of United States politics and stretches it to the edge of believability. The relationships, although definitely unordinary, are oddly relatable as well. The show is written in a way that feels as if the powerful characters, like Frank and his wife Claire, speak what we already expect them to be thinking. It removes boundaries we would expect to have in conversations we would be part of, allowing the audience to live vicariously through the characters’ brutal honesty. There are even moments in each episode where Underwood speaks into the camera as if he were speaking directly to the viewer. Kevin Spacey’s portrayal is chilling and cannot leave any viewer unintrigued.

This series is worth watching, although viewers should be forewarned that all twenty-six episodes, each at least fifty minutes in duration, are available to stream at your convenience. Be prepared to have no control over your ability to stop watching. House of Cards is the most beautifully, creatively, tenaciously written series I have seen.
  26. Mar 10, 2014
    In intriguing insight into the this great fictional world of politics that mixes well with Kevin Spacey character out for revenge. The style is the most appealing part keeps the mood simple and modern with the characters coming life in a riveting tale of corruption and revenge in a world only a congressman could understand.
  27. Mar 20, 2014
    You can tell since the beginning Fincher's touch. Netflix really knocked it out of the park with this series. Political dramas are rising nowadays and "House of Cards" is a front-runner. My main issue is that, the first half of the season spent too much time trying to describe the characters, which I don't think it was completely necessary because by the second half of the season, inYou can tell since the beginning Fincher's touch. Netflix really knocked it out of the park with this series. Political dramas are rising nowadays and "House of Cards" is a front-runner. My main issue is that, the first half of the season spent too much time trying to describe the characters, which I don't think it was completely necessary because by the second half of the season, in which the plot develops in a great way, by then you already know how the characters are going to react. You can even anticipate when Kevin Spacey is going to look at the camera (in the characteristic way he does in this show). Other than that, the series is really well acted (Kevin Spacey, Robin Wright and Kate Mara do a really good job), well written and well directed. Expand
  28. Apr 6, 2014
    Politics, suspense, intrigue, murders, lies, intimacy and affairs. A great mix of topics and incredibly well written. The depth of the characters is amazing. A great political thriller. It is creeping up on my personal list to become the best show ever, it certainly already made the top 5. Only downside: Kevin Spacey talking to the viewers which is a tool I never liked in any series butPolitics, suspense, intrigue, murders, lies, intimacy and affairs. A great mix of topics and incredibly well written. The depth of the characters is amazing. A great political thriller. It is creeping up on my personal list to become the best show ever, it certainly already made the top 5. Only downside: Kevin Spacey talking to the viewers which is a tool I never liked in any series but can forgive it for such an outstanding series. Expand
  29. May 8, 2014
    Amazing show! The show is written in such a way to appeal to different types of audiences. It has tons of suspense, political drama, and great emotional development from the characters. Kevin Spacey is amazing as Frank Underwood, and the way Frank's character is written is very Shakespearean. He routinely has monologues and asides, and it really feels like watching a modern adaptation of aAmazing show! The show is written in such a way to appeal to different types of audiences. It has tons of suspense, political drama, and great emotional development from the characters. Kevin Spacey is amazing as Frank Underwood, and the way Frank's character is written is very Shakespearean. He routinely has monologues and asides, and it really feels like watching a modern adaptation of a Shakespeare play. The show doesn't merely rely on action or suspense to keep going. It utilizes the political atmosphere of Washington to keep itself relevant. Frank and Claire are terrifying in the best ways and really exemplify what it means to be an anti-hero. This show definitely kept me on the edge of my seat the whole time, but I also love watching characters develop and emotionally interact with one another, and this show provides the best of all of those worlds. Expand
  30. May 22, 2014
    Just OK; definitely not a show to watch after you've undergone a root canal and are feeling sick and tired... impatience and discomfort on the viewers' part will not mix well with this slow-paced series that demands complete attention to unravel the all of the byzantine-but-irrelevant plot twists. Can be quite boring, time-wasting, and predictable, and full of tired, banal, trite, andJust OK; definitely not a show to watch after you've undergone a root canal and are feeling sick and tired... impatience and discomfort on the viewers' part will not mix well with this slow-paced series that demands complete attention to unravel the all of the byzantine-but-irrelevant plot twists. Can be quite boring, time-wasting, and predictable, and full of tired, banal, trite, and cliched plot devices and character lines. Worst of all are Frank talking to the camera and singing all of the traditional "Southern military academy songs" that we've seen as a cliche in every single movie about a military academy. The Zoe character is incredibly annoying, and the sudden rise to power from mediocrity of both Zoe and Frank is completely unrealistic. There were some entertaining events, for sure #such as Zoe's demise#, the acting particularly by Spacey is excellent despite the noted shortcomings #of the writers#, and several of the episodes are quite good, but overall the series had too many irrelevant, confusing, and tangential/inconsequential plot lines #such as the whole byzantine "Chinese currency fixing, money laundering to PACs" scheme# and boring, uninteresting legislative agendas that left me glancing at my **** or checking my iPhone too frequently. I fell asleep during several of the episodes. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Emily Nussbaum
    Feb 22, 2013
    I found the first two episodes handsome but sleazy, like a C.E.O. in a hotel bar. Yet by Episode 5 I was hypnotized by the show’s ensemble of two-faced sociopaths. Episode 8 was a thoughtful side trip into sympathy for Spacey’s devilish main character, but by then I was exhausted, and only my compulsive streak kept me going until the finale--at which point I was critically destabilized and looking forward to Season 2.
  2. Reviewed by: Ed Bark
    Feb 6, 2013
    Watch at whatever pace you'd like--immediately. Given its quality, I think you'll be drinking it all in sooner rather than later.
  3. Reviewed by: Tom Long
    Feb 1, 2013
    Fincher's unemotional style comes through in the first two episodes, and the show could use more heat. But Spacey makes it worth watching.