• Network: Netflix
  • Series Premiere Date: Feb 1, 2013
  • Season #: 1 , 2
9.0

1. Mar 20, 2013
    Kevin Spacey is fantastic as a Georgia congressman that seeks revenge after being replaced for a Secretary of State job. He is so conniving and quite convincing as a real congressman. If you ever imagined how things are negotiated and manipulated in Congress to get what people what, this show definitely shows it. His wife, played by Robin Wright, is great as well. She too can manipulate with the best of them to get what she wants. If it were just them, it would be great, but it also includes a lot of other characters that are complex and relate-able. Great first season, looking forward to more. Expand
  2. Mar 8, 2013
    Absolutely love this show! This is the only political drama to ever suck me into the story. It's like a well orchestrated movie broken into several parts. The dialogue and acting are superb! Spacey is the the politician you love to hate. Can't wait for season 2!
  3. Feb 8, 2013
    Entertaining, compelling, and addictive. Beautifully written, beautifully shot, beautifully acted. What more can you want? A real departure in tone from the British version and a good choice it is.
  4. Feb 26, 2013
    A definite contender for best series of the year. Everything is executed brilliantly and the casting is perfect. Netflix has a bona fide hit on their hands.
  5. Feb 2, 2013
    THE WEST WING TIMES A 100 WITH DARK HUMOR AND EXCELLENT DIALOGUE. This is a must to watch, DO NOT hesitate to see this amazing show. Spacey you are excellent, the charisma that he has with his wife and uniquely cunning portrayal of blackmailing Washington style jipper jabber. Will define the new generation of television.
  6. Sep 20, 2013
    Kevin Spacey and Robin Wright The ULTIMATE power couple. That I'm terrified of, but continually root for. Love that they wrote Robin's character as a successful individual in her own right separate from her husbands. This couple is ambitious, but they truly love and respect each other. They're driven and I'm excited to see how their drive translates into the second season.
  7. Feb 4, 2013
    Kevin Spacey and David Fincher on the television level, it's an absolute treat to watch them doing some marvelous work which can be easily compared to the HUGE series like Breaking Bad, Homeland, Game of Thrones, Mad Men and Boardwalk Empire. The series has brilliant writing supported by their proper execution and witty and charming screenplay, fabulous cast members all of whom give thrilling performances, the direction is outstanding, the entire premise of the show is a reason to watch the show. Kevin Spacey plays a political personality who is so manipulative that all cards play in his favor eventually. The best thing about it that we don't have to wait for an entire week to watch the new episode, the complete season is readily available. I have this feeling that House of Cards is going to get so much recognition in the upcoming period. Expand
  8. Aug 3, 2013
    Just watched the first episode and love this show enough to say that it's definitely one of the best TV shows on now. The acting is great, the writing is interesting, and the plot is most certainly interesting thus far. Riveting.
  9. Feb 6, 2013
    I think that if Netflix continues to deliver shows like these that I will be a lifelong fan of the network. What a fun, thought-provoking, addicting show. It reminds me of Scandal and Revenge but with a really dark undertone. Kevin Spacey is brilliant and Robin Wright just mesmerizes- though I think it's because I'm always afraid she's in danger. Anyway, check it out, it's worth it.
  10. Feb 5, 2013
    This show is really engaging, once I watched a few episodes it became impossible to stop. It was fun to see Kevin Spacey AKA Machiaveli blackmail, extort and sabotage his way through congress even with a bad southern accent.
  11. Jul 26, 2013
    If you watch the first 10 minutes be for warned, you may have to watch all episodes. I watched the 1990 version set in England. It was good but this was great. Keven Spacy sinks his teeth into this part like only he can do. This is really good.
  12. Feb 2, 2013
    Terrific first episode to Netflix's first original series. Kevin Spacey's performance is incredible as expected and I'm sure the rest of the season will keep steam until the finale. The new season of Arrested Development will prove that television is just as important on streaming as it is during the weekdays on channels such as Fox and AMC. Hopefully Netflix will purchase the rights to Jericho and continue the story for that as well. Netflix has proved itself as a worthy competitor for the next Golden Globe Awards because this show is a winner. Expand
  13. Feb 1, 2013
    Brilliantly written, brilliant acted, and David Fincher and his friends have created one of the most thrilling and addicting shows in a long time. I haven't seen a show so stylish and engaging since Breaking Bad premiered in 2008. You will instantly love this show.
  14. Feb 1, 2013
    The pilot was wonderful! The beginning was a bit eh, but it quickly rose from there. A wonderful show worth watching, it's a great thing that Netflix just released all of the episodes at once.
  15. Feb 1, 2013
    Absolutely amazing! Loved it, from the beginning to the end of the first 2 episodes I've watched. It has the David Fincher mood in it, Kevin Spacey's constant neutrality in every bit of the show in a really cold blooded character, and the fluidity in which the story unfolds. Seriously, great show, watch it if you can, or get 1 month free on Netflix just to watch this. Best premiere I've seen in a series for a LONG time, maybe the best since Breaking Bad. Expand
  16. Feb 1, 2013
    Terrific show; Incredible performances, sharp writing, and, of course, David effing Fincher at the helm. This show is destined to be a classic. Between this, and the return of Arrested Development, Netflix has outdone itself.
  17. Feb 1, 2013
    Exciting and creative show. Comparable to any HBO or Showtimes series. Acting, writing, camera work, directing..all are superb. Kevin Spacey always delivers and Robin Wright is excellent.
  18. Feb 1, 2013
    I loved it! Kevin Spacey does a great job. i liked the whole cast of actors. I wanted to immediately watch another episode! But seeing as it is after midnight.... Can't wait to see more. I think Netfix has got a hit.
  19. Feb 2, 2013
    I'd watch the whole series, but I need to sleep. I'm at chapter 5. Well done Netflix, cast, and crew. My subscription is starting to pay off. Not sure why it cost a $100M to make though.
  20. Feb 2, 2013
    Aside from Breaking Bad, House of Cards is better than anything currently airing on TV. Acting, cinematography, music, and plot are as good or better than most big budget Hollywood movies. In fact, I think it's better to think of this as a movie divided into 13 parts instead of as a traditional TV show. House of Cards is the first step (leap) in making broadcast television irrelevant. I have no doubt that some critics have been told to keep that fact in mind. Collapse
  21. Feb 2, 2013
    Best political show with West Wing. Shows the underbelly of American politics with no apologies. Love the occasional aside from the main character to the viewer giving a little more in depth information about what is going on. I am hooked. Started the series today and could not stop watching it.Netflix produces better tv than any of the 4 networks could ever hope to. Love that the lead character is from my home state of SC but that part of the state does not like the dems very much lol. Expand
  22. Feb 3, 2013
    I must say that I had low expectations for this show, but boy cell was I wrong. The acting is phenomenal, the writing is excellent, and the entire show is very professionally made. HBO watch out, Netflix proved that it knows how to produce shows. My only warning about this show is that it is very difficult to only watch one episode in one sitting. Once you start watching it you won't want to stop. You've been warned. Expand
  23. Feb 3, 2013
    I have thoroughly enjoyed watching this show. Uncompromising, dark but not cartoonishly dark. The show is at its absolute best when its following the gritty mercenary style of Washington politics. I recommend it highly.
  24. Feb 3, 2013
    If you enjoy the quality of dramatic television that HBO offers, then you will certainly enjoy House of Cards. This is Fincher's masterpiece. It's also hard to see anyone standing in Kevin Spacey's way of at least getting nominated for major awards next award season. House of Cards catches you from the very first scene, and doesn't let the grip go until you have burned through all the episodes. Whether you watch them all in a 24 hour period as I did, or spread them out over more time, this is a safe bet for your entertainment enjoyment. Not since HBO's The Sopranos has such a show redefined the boundaries of what this form of entertainment can achieve. Expand
  25. Feb 4, 2013
    This is a very excellent poltical drama, it not only takes you into the underbelly of the Washington D.C. poltical system but also shows great care for underlying themes like loyalty, duality and others. The breaking of the 4th wall by Spacey makes the show even more interesting and his character's duality is amazing
  26. Feb 4, 2013
    Without being beholden to time constraints, studios or networks begging you to tune in each week, Netflix strikes the first blow to what has been the slow, writhing death of television as we know it with House of Cards. What was The Sopranos for HBO, House of Cards could very well be for Netflix. If all of the Networks weren't already scared, they should be frantic now. House of Cards expects a lot from the audience. It takes time establishing the story and revealing the character motivations, affording for a much richer and engrossing experience for the more discerning viewer while possibly alienating the casual passerby. Spacey and Wright deliver superb performances, both would be wrongly snubbed by if they do not receive Emmy nominations for their work. In his foray into television with this dark and gritty political drama, David Fincher has swung for the fences. After marathoning House of Cards in two days, I say the ball has flown out of the park. Expand
  27. Feb 5, 2013
    House of Cards is truly a novel for television and for those who have criticized the show for not doing this or that after having watched only a few episodes missed the point. Like a good novel that takes it reader on a journey putting it down too soon is a big mistake hell season 1 isn't even the end of the Novel only the mid way point. I am signed on for the journey and bring my comfortable shoes because I know we have a way too go and some interesting things to see. Expand
  28. Feb 5, 2013
    Absolutely phenomenal. Fincher, Spacey, Wright, they've created a masterpiece. As a film student I'm completely impressed with what's being done outside of mainstream cable. In the field of Boardwalk Empire.
  29. Feb 5, 2013
    You can tell how out of touch "professional" critics are by the vast delta in ratings this show has gotten between pros and user reviews. Why do we listen to critics? That was a rhetorical question. The answer is we should NOT listen to them. It's obvious that the public loves this series and that's ALL that matters. So another rhetorical question....why are critics employed? They are useless!!! OK, this show is awesome,it had me the first few minutes of the first episode (you know what I'm talking about) and kept my undivided attention through all 13. The best series released in a LONG time. Go watch it! Expand
  30. Feb 8, 2013
    Let's be honest. This show was built around the ability of it's actors. Spacey and Wright are absolutely stunning. The music, direction, and writing are superb. Honestly, I think that this falls in the category of 'you like it, unless you don't understand it.'

1. Reviewed by: Emily Nussbaum
    Feb 22, 2013
    I found the first two episodes handsome but sleazy, like a C.E.O. in a hotel bar. Yet by Episode 5 I was hypnotized by the show’s ensemble of two-faced sociopaths. Episode 8 was a thoughtful side trip into sympathy for Spacey’s devilish main character, but by then I was exhausted, and only my compulsive streak kept me going until the finale--at which point I was critically destabilized and looking forward to Season 2.
  2. Reviewed by: Ed Bark
    Feb 6, 2013
    Watch at whatever pace you'd like--immediately. Given its quality, I think you'll be drinking it all in sooner rather than later.
  3. Reviewed by: Tom Long
    Feb 1, 2013
    Fincher's unemotional style comes through in the first two episodes, and the show could use more heat. But Spacey makes it worth watching.