House of Lies : Season 1

• Series Premiere Date: Jan 8, 2012
Season #: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
5.6

1. May 6, 2014
    House Of Lies is a great comedic-dramatic show with great charming performances by Don Cheadle as Marty and Kristen Bell. But it has its cons too, it's got to put more elements in itself
  2. Mar 4, 2013
    Saw a couple of Season 1 episodes on a flight, and they got me hooked. A very cynical, yet hilarious, take on the management consulting world, with psychological overtones in the exploration of the characters' relationships with one another. There's some misogynistic humor and some d**k-and-fart jokes, low hanging fruit as they are, but they don't detract too much from the overallSaw a couple of Season 1 episodes on a flight, and they got me hooked. A very cynical, yet hilarious, take on the management consulting world, with psychological overtones in the exploration of the characters' relationships with one another. There's some misogynistic humor and some d**k-and-fart jokes, low hanging fruit as they are, but they don't detract too much from the overall experience. It's offset in part by the very human portrayal of Don Cheadle's character's son exploring gender identity issues. It's worth watching the first three or four episodes in order to build a more comprehensive view, as the show evolves over the course of the season. **USER SCORE CAVEAT** When reading the user reviews, you'll see a bunch of "0" scores. Note the date they were posted (before the pilot aired, or just after) and then click through and look at the other reviews the users have posted. Almost without fail, the users also gave Parks Rec Season 4 a "10." One of the actors from Parks Rec (Jean-Ralphio) is also in House of Lies, which I assume accounts for the collusion behind the "0" scores. Expand
  3. Jan 17, 2013
    I have no idea why people does like the show. Its better than most shows that are on tv. Its really funny, compelling, smart and Cheadle is a beast.
  4. Jan 16, 2013
    Hysterical. Brilliant characters. Don Cheadle and Kristen Bell have great chemistry. The rest of the "pod" adds a bit of wittiness and humor. Please give the show at least 4 episodes before adding a review.
  5. Feb 16, 2012
    To give it the benefit of the doubt I'm guessing the show plans to humanize Marty little by little as it progresses. I hope so, I found the relentless manic cynicism in the first two episodes insufferable and depressing. Is this really the 'Modern World'? Then please shoot me now.
  6. Feb 2, 2012
    The show is quick and Clever. I was surprised to see Don Cheadle as the slick manipulator Marty Kaan but he made me believe. Kristen Bell has steals the show as the feisty Jeanie. She also ruins any preconceptions I may have had about anal sex (yuck).
  7. Jan 15, 2012
    Sex sales! The show is still wet behind the ears...but it has potential if you like raunchy comedy By the balls!
    Mad Men meets Entourage! It won't make you mad or waste your time if you've watched it when nothings on.
  8. Jan 10, 2012
    Refreshing new show. I am eager for more. Don Cheadle is hilarious. Too bad not everyone gets the comedic devices used here. I cannot wait to see what happens next.
  9. Jan 10, 2012
    I hold out hope for future episodes, however the writing of the first episode bordered on unbearable, with single-dimensional caricatures that were both predictable and groan inducing. The wife, the son, the prostitute, much less the bathroom scene..just horrendous stuff. The core idea of the show is novel and enjoyable, as is the Fight Club-esque techniques and narrative, however theI hold out hope for future episodes, however the writing of the first episode bordered on unbearable, with single-dimensional caricatures that were both predictable and groan inducing. The wife, the son, the prostitute, much less the bathroom scene..just horrendous stuff. The core idea of the show is novel and enjoyable, as is the Fight Club-esque techniques and narrative, however the execution has me expecting the axe to fall on it soon. Expand
  10. Jan 8, 2012
    The first showtime comedy that boasts its ability to stay a comedy and not fall into dramatic territory is actually pretty good and it sticks true to its promise for the most part. It's less insightful about fatherhood, relationships or business than it may think it is, but it resists cliche and offers a pretty good chance for Mr. Cheadle to show off his comedic chops week after. I wouldThe first showtime comedy that boasts its ability to stay a comedy and not fall into dramatic territory is actually pretty good and it sticks true to its promise for the most part. It's less insightful about fatherhood, relationships or business than it may think it is, but it resists cliche and offers a pretty good chance for Mr. Cheadle to show off his comedic chops week after. I would give it a second look if the pilot was the less than sensational for other viewers. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Roger Catlin
    Jan 31, 2012
    House is more solidly built [than "Dirt"], thanks mostly to the bracing quality of Cheadle, who scarcely has time in the mayhem to reconsider what he does.
  2. Reviewed by: Luke De Smet
    Jan 11, 2012
    Because from its embellished execution to its uninspired writing and very conception, the smarmy House of Lies is like so many speculative financial bubbles that characters like Marty have had their hands in: There's just nothing there.
  3. Reviewed by: Mark A. Perigard
    Jan 9, 2012
    I didn't laugh much. I did, however, check my watch, still secure on my wrist, to determine when the show would be ending.