House of Lies : Season 1

• Series Premiere Date: Jan 8, 2012
Season #: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
5.6

1. Apr 17, 2013
    This season of House of Lies starts off very slow, and it hit-and-miss the entire season. It is a dramedy starring the talented Don Cheadle (he won a Golden Globe for "Best Comedy Actor" this season) and the lovely Kristen Bell. The season overall turned out to be moderately entertaining with the exception of a few bad episodes, including the Pilot episode. The cast is quite funny, andThis season of House of Lies starts off very slow, and it hit-and-miss the entire season. It is a dramedy starring the talented Don Cheadle (he won a Golden Globe for "Best Comedy Actor" this season) and the lovely Kristen Bell. The season overall turned out to be moderately entertaining with the exception of a few bad episodes, including the Pilot episode. The cast is quite funny, and I especially enjoyed the interactions between the characters Clyde (Ben Schwartz) and Doug (Josh Lawson) throughout the entire season. Overall, I think you should give this series a chance (watch more than the first episode), because I have also seen Season 2, and it is a major improvement. Expand
  2. Mar 5, 2012
    The biggest turn off about this show are its characters. Every single one of them is vile and morally repugnant, which in itself is fine: there have been many great shows and movies about irredeemable characters. But on top of it all, they are just flat out annoying. In particular the two male side-kicks on the show fill the screen with their idiotic juvenile banter and act like utterThe biggest turn off about this show are its characters. Every single one of them is vile and morally repugnant, which in itself is fine: there have been many great shows and movies about irredeemable characters. But on top of it all, they are just flat out annoying. In particular the two male side-kicks on the show fill the screen with their idiotic juvenile banter and act like utter douche bags. I have always been fans of Don Cheadle and the lovely Kristen Bell, but watching this show makes you wonder what they were smoking when they signed up for this pile of dog crap. Expand
  3. Jan 8, 2012
    Like many, I expected this Showtime "comedy" to be a drama. It wasn't a drama, but it also wasn't a comedy. In this day and age where marketing and economics is such a rich topic to explore, this show comes and decimates it. One of the worst pilots. Giving it a 3 for Don and Kristen and Jean-Ralphio from Parks and Rec.
  4. Jan 8, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I only wanted to watch this for Don Cheadle and Kristen Bell. When the pilot leaked online I jumped on it. The first thing you see is Don Cheadle's ass. Then you meet his extremely flamboyant son. Hundreds of jokes about gays follow. Cheadle's character breaks the fourth wall a lot, and it's annoying. Then there's a scene in a restaurant where a hooker talks about having sex with women. Seriously? This show is terrible, the critics are wrong. Expand
  5. Jan 9, 2012
    The Pilot episode was horribly constructed, i'm really surprised that Don Cheadle and Kristen Bell signed up for this train wreck. I'll give it a couple more episodes before i can it, only because It's on after Shameless, but its not looking good for House of Crap... i mean Lies.
  6. Jan 8, 2012
    Watched the pilot online, there is no logical reason for this series to be airing. The critics are under Showtime hypnosis. One of the most terribly written pilots in pilot history. Don Cheadle doesn't even save this show. Lots of improvement and growth needed. Too many homosexuality jokes.
  7. Jan 11, 2012
    Love Kristen Bell. Hate big business. Thought I'd love this. I hate it. The worst pilot ever written, a stupid adaptation of a good book. Please Kristen Bell don't ruin your career with this **** show.
  8. Jan 11, 2012
    Absolutely awful. House of Lies is a big mess. It's an insult to people who like television. I can't believe that Showtime, the same network that has Weeds, also has this show (and The Big C). So much of it needs to improve, immediately.
  9. Jan 11, 2012
    I watched this because I heard that the guy who plays Jean-Ralphio on Parks and Rec is on it. Not only is he barely featured, the show itself is a mess. I highly recommend against it.
  10. Jan 8, 2012
    Terribly written pilot, already a contender for worst show of the year. Possibly the decade. There's no well thought out reason to explain what caused this show's all-star cast to accept these roles. I'm not understanding how any critic could give this a 100.
  11. Jan 11, 2012
    Vomit inducing. Awful, awful, awful. Hopefully it gets cancelled before the world has to see any more. Why is Kristen Bell doing this? A waste of her talent.
  12. Jan 11, 2012
    TERRIBLE. Not worthy of following Californication. Not worthy of even being on the same network as Weeds. One of the worst pilots I've seen in my life. Any good reviews are simply biased. Nobody watch this, this needs to be cancelled so Don Cheadle doesn't lose his good rep.
  13. Jan 11, 2012
    Was persuaded to watch this by a friend of mine. Turns out we both hated the pilot. I really hope it improves. It looks like there's little to grow on and hopefully Don and Kristen don't trash their careers.
  14. Jan 11, 2012
    Watched it for Don Cheadle, sucked hard. Way too many stupid jokes about gay people. Absolutely terribly written, one of the worst pilots ever. Shocking that showtime would accept this.
  15. Jan 8, 2012
    Are the critics reviews a joke?? This is the worst episode of television I've seen in my life. All of the jokes about gays are just sick and rude. Kristen Bell is absolutely killing her career.
  16. Jan 8, 2012
    My management consultant parents encouraged me to watch this and tell them what it's like since they don't have Showtime. I found it to be awful and they agreed, saying that the things happening to the characters are unrealistic. Critics gave it inexplicably good reviews.
  17. Feb 5, 2012
    Damn this is bad. Ive loved krsten bell since her earliest days but this show is so unwatchable. It blows. I hope kristen bell quits and the show gets cancelled.
  18. Mar 4, 2013
    Saw a couple of Season 1 episodes on a flight, and they got me hooked. A very cynical, yet hilarious, take on the management consulting world, with psychological overtones in the exploration of the characters' relationships with one another. There's some misogynistic humor and some d**k-and-fart jokes, low hanging fruit as they are, but they don't detract too much from the overallSaw a couple of Season 1 episodes on a flight, and they got me hooked. A very cynical, yet hilarious, take on the management consulting world, with psychological overtones in the exploration of the characters' relationships with one another. There's some misogynistic humor and some d**k-and-fart jokes, low hanging fruit as they are, but they don't detract too much from the overall experience. It's offset in part by the very human portrayal of Don Cheadle's character's son exploring gender identity issues. It's worth watching the first three or four episodes in order to build a more comprehensive view, as the show evolves over the course of the season. **USER SCORE CAVEAT** When reading the user reviews, you'll see a bunch of "0" scores. Note the date they were posted (before the pilot aired, or just after) and then click through and look at the other reviews the users have posted. Almost without fail, the users also gave Parks Rec Season 4 a "10." One of the actors from Parks Rec (Jean-Ralphio) is also in House of Lies, which I assume accounts for the collusion behind the "0" scores. Expand
  19. Jan 8, 2012
    It's okay. By no means an advancement in the comedy genre like the shows on NBC, but it's better than Showtime's other crap like Nurse Jackie and The Big C. The writing needs to be better.
  20. Jan 10, 2012
    I hold out hope for future episodes, however the writing of the first episode bordered on unbearable, with single-dimensional caricatures that were both predictable and groan inducing. The wife, the son, the prostitute, much less the bathroom scene..just horrendous stuff. The core idea of the show is novel and enjoyable, as is the Fight Club-esque techniques and narrative, however theI hold out hope for future episodes, however the writing of the first episode bordered on unbearable, with single-dimensional caricatures that were both predictable and groan inducing. The wife, the son, the prostitute, much less the bathroom scene..just horrendous stuff. The core idea of the show is novel and enjoyable, as is the Fight Club-esque techniques and narrative, however the execution has me expecting the axe to fall on it soon. Expand
  21. Jan 8, 2012
    The first showtime comedy that boasts its ability to stay a comedy and not fall into dramatic territory is actually pretty good and it sticks true to its promise for the most part. It's less insightful about fatherhood, relationships or business than it may think it is, but it resists cliche and offers a pretty good chance for Mr. Cheadle to show off his comedic chops week after. I wouldThe first showtime comedy that boasts its ability to stay a comedy and not fall into dramatic territory is actually pretty good and it sticks true to its promise for the most part. It's less insightful about fatherhood, relationships or business than it may think it is, but it resists cliche and offers a pretty good chance for Mr. Cheadle to show off his comedic chops week after. I would give it a second look if the pilot was the less than sensational for other viewers. Expand
  22. Jan 10, 2012
    Refreshing new show. I am eager for more. Don Cheadle is hilarious. Too bad not everyone gets the comedic devices used here. I cannot wait to see what happens next.
  23. Feb 2, 2012
    The show is quick and Clever. I was surprised to see Don Cheadle as the slick manipulator Marty Kaan but he made me believe. Kristen Bell has steals the show as the feisty Jeanie. She also ruins any preconceptions I may have had about anal sex (yuck).
  24. Jan 15, 2012
    Sex sales! The show is still wet behind the ears...but it has potential if you like raunchy comedy By the balls!
    Mad Men meets Entourage! It won't make you mad or waste your time if you've watched it when nothings on.
  25. Jan 20, 2013
    The TV and Movies have just about a 100% hit rate in their failure to provide even the slightest taste of realism in any show that is centered around what writers believe is the "business world". 99% of investment bankers are not handsome, slick philanderers. They work 65 hours a week and are surprisingly conservative, amateur party animals at best. Attorneys at top law firms are aThe TV and Movies have just about a 100% hit rate in their failure to provide even the slightest taste of realism in any show that is centered around what writers believe is the "business world". 99% of investment bankers are not handsome, slick philanderers. They work 65 hours a week and are surprisingly conservative, amateur party animals at best. Attorneys at top law firms are a similar breed, but add an extra 10 to 20 hours of work per week. Management Consultants may very well be at the top of the "stuffed shirt' scale, and their profession may very well be the least interesting of the three, especially to watch. This being said, Don Cheadle and his team of frat boy wannabes totally miss the mark. This show fails at being satire because there isn't one grain of truth in their portrayal of the consulting business, or consultants. It fails at being a straight up comedy, because it's not even the slightest bit funny. It succeeds only in being a cheap rip off of Showtime's other show about decadent lifestyles, Californication. In a nutshell, this show needs to be destroyed as soon as possible. Collapse
  26. Jan 17, 2013
    I have no idea why people does like the show. Its better than most shows that are on tv. Its really funny, compelling, smart and Cheadle is a beast.
  27. Jan 17, 2013
    I watched the first season after hearing that Cheadle won a GGlobe. I don't get it. It's barely funny, cheaply vulgar, and if it is a satire or indictment of modern business culture the show is not good at it. There was a canadian show about banking called Traders (?) on CBC that I remember being better at this. Oh well. I say avoid it.
  28. Jan 16, 2013
    Hysterical. Brilliant characters. Don Cheadle and Kristen Bell have great chemistry. The rest of the "pod" adds a bit of wittiness and humor. Please give the show at least 4 episodes before adding a review.
  29. Oct 1, 2013
    Really bad show. Feel ripped off giving it a chance and watching season 1.
    This is a male chauvinistic piece of garbage and I'm a guy. The characters are just one dimensional.
    Really bad script writing.. House of trash
  30. May 6, 2014
    House Of Lies is a great comedic-dramatic show with great charming performances by Don Cheadle as Marty and Kristen Bell. But it has its cons too, it's got to put more elements in itself

1. Reviewed by: Roger Catlin
    Jan 31, 2012
    House is more solidly built [than "Dirt"], thanks mostly to the bracing quality of Cheadle, who scarcely has time in the mayhem to reconsider what he does.
  2. Reviewed by: Luke De Smet
    Jan 11, 2012
    Because from its embellished execution to its uninspired writing and very conception, the smarmy House of Lies is like so many speculative financial bubbles that characters like Marty have had their hands in: There's just nothing there.
  3. Reviewed by: Mark A. Perigard
    Jan 9, 2012
    I didn't laugh much. I did, however, check my watch, still secure on my wrist, to determine when the show would be ending.