• Network: CBS
  • Series Premiere Date: Sep 19, 2005
  • Season #: 1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5 , 6 , 7 , 8 , 9
6.9

1. Oct 25, 2011
    This season of How I Met Your Mother continues the upwards trend it has displayed since its arguable low in season five with witty dialogue and an amazing cast. In quality, HIMYM and The Big Bang Theory clearly distance themselves from the otherwise redundant CBS comedies, and retain both humour and niveau.
  2. Jul 2, 2012
    Being a long-term, big-time HIMYM fan, I can honestly say that Season 7 was quite mediocre. The season had its amazing episodes which retained the charm exerted in previous seasons, but there were too many episodes with boring script and dialogue, too less of the central gang 'hanging out' at the signature McLarens Bar, the painful and gradual downfall of Marshall as an exciting character and SO much more. The lowest point in the series was definitely "The Burning Beekeeper" - featuring terrible, unfunny script, lack of the HIMYM charm and the annoying characters of Marshall's boss and Lily's father appearing more and more. "46 Minutes" was disastrous as well when the writers tried to move us by showing the evolution of the group, but only annoyed people that they were going to see less of McLarens Bar. Also, the creators tried to take a break from Ted, which I think is the main reason why everything fell apart in this season. It went from Ted to Barney to Robin to Barney again and then Lily and Marshall, giving the show's first few episodes amazing depth to the script, while some episodes were fillers and extremely annoying to watch. The most disappointing, however, was the finale. Not only did it lack the drama that was present in previous finales, it also lacked the core group's chemistry and showed Marshall as a plain lame character who apparently doesn't have a sense of humour. Lily used to be amazing - her sluttiness, loyalty, kindness and pure fun was all loved. These features of her came on-and-off the show in this season - and especially shows how the writers are kind of forcing the characters to grow up. For example, her biggest sexual moment in that season was when she 'sleep cheated' on Marshall. Now that, I find, is pathetic. So, I prove my point that Lily and Marshall have become boring, dull and lame characters.
    Now onto Barney. For many years, Barney has been the point-blanc source of comedy from the show, with his memorable quotes, strong personality and pure hilarity. He has also faded away - he has 'matured' into someone better, but this new Barney is simply not funny. His jokes are less funny and it really is awkward when he acts like the stereotypical adult. The writers might as well remove his signature suit - they've already removed his womanising skill! Also, throughout the season, Robin as a character faltered - she was either depressed, cut-down or split from the gang (from Ted Mosby at least).
    So as you can see, in this season the characters all went downhill, BIG time. All because they tried to focus on different characters instead of only Ted, forced the characters to mature, attempted to force a touching 'evolution' of the group, removed the hilarity of Robin's pathetic career and removed Barney's womanising traits. There were many things that went wrong in this season.
    Though there weren't only bad things about the season. When Robin found out that she couldn't have babies, the series hit a new high-note in terms of emotional depth, beating Marshall's dad's death in the previous season. This led the surrounding episodes to be depressing as well, burning out any elements of comedy - there were some consequences to this happening. Also, the season premiere was fantastic, as well as "Trilogy Time", "Karma", "The Drunk Train" and "Ducky Tie" bringing back the hilarity and charm of HIMYM. Overall, I hope that the writers focus on Ted and in general improve the comedy and laughs produced, while maintaining the emotional depth that HIMYM is capable of as well as letting characters grow naturally instead of awkwardly maturing into lame characters. And with that, I pray that Season 8 of HIMYM is a jaw-dropping season that stuns fans and brings back the same feeling you get with classic HIMYM episodes!
    Amen.
  3. PHJ
    Mar 7, 2014
    Avatar is one of the few movies that I give 10 of 10, the movie has a great focus in the scenarios and in the graphics, witch makes your tecnologic experience with the movie outstanding. The actors and the performance is just perfect, they chosed the right actors for the right type of movie, just perfect. The history besides is intresting, how the movies organizes the humans and the Avatars is just great. And as a real fan of Avatar I need to say, WHAT A END! This movie is outstanding in all aspects. Expand
  4. Oct 4, 2011
    Being my favorite sitcom (show in general, even) on television these days, it's always enjoyable to see an episode on that I've either never seen, or haven't seen in a while. Season 7 is only four episodes in and it is already off to a great start. The style of storytelling is familiar without being overdone. The continuity is flawless, and the characters are enjoyable as always. I'm excited that they're getting to the parts of the story where we start to figure out how everything gets tied together. All in all, Season 7 has started off great and I expect it to keep utilizing everything that made the show popular while unleashing new stories and hilarious situations. Expand
  5. Jun 23, 2012
    Still has good jokes and good stories. It is more about the other characters than Ted these days but the Barney and Robin story is still good as long as they don't do too much Ross and Racheling.
  6. Apr 1, 2013
    I have seen critics of How I Met Your Mothers seventh season argue that it is beginning to rely too heavily on call-backs to previous 'stronger' seasons and that its, once clever, use of different viewpoints and timeframes are becoming a bit forced on occasions. If you focus on the weaker episodes of this series, such as 'The Burning Beekeeper' that lacked the kind of payoff we've come to expect, then they might have a point. For every episode that doesn't work however there are four or five that are close to being as good as anything the show has ever produced and, to be honest, I can't think of a single season of any comedy show that didn't have its weaker episodes anyway.

Ignore those people trying to tell you How I Met Your Mother has lost its way as after seven years, and more than 150 episodes, there are still very few sit-coms that are capable of being as funny and moving as How I Met Your Mother.
  7. Dec 1, 2013
    HIMYM Season Seven had some huge moments like when Marshall and Lilys son is born, and a lot of relationships like Barney and Norah, Barney and Quinn, or Robin and the dude from Harald and Kumar. Some of my favorite episodes are The Best Man, Duckie Tie, The Stinson Missile Crisis, Noretta, The Slutty Pumpkin Returns, Disaster Averted, Tick Tick Tick, Symphony of Illumination, The Burning Beekeeper, Karma, The Broath, Trilogy Time, Now We're Even, and The Magicians Code Part One and Two. Another solid season. Overall Score= 83/100 Expand
  8. Sep 21, 2011
    I NEVER WATCHED THIS SHOW BEFORE. So when i watch the new season,i never expect much. the show is not that bad. i enjoy it. i laugh a bit during the show. definitely giving it another chance.
  9. Jan 16, 2012
    It's hard to watch a show that you love and come to terms with the fact that maybe it's gone on too long. Without a doubt, HIMYM has a lovable cast continuously, but the basic problem we see this season is that the main character of the show, Ted, is not really the star of the show anymore (or at least midway into the season, it appears so). The show has otherwise jumped back and forth between Marshall and Lily coming to terms about having a family as well as Barney and Robin's tumultuous personal lives. There were only two things that were promising so far have been destroyed just as quickly as they were built up: the first being Ted and Victoria reuniting (which ended anticlimactically in the same episode), while the second was the possibility of Robin having a child with Barney (only for the writers to call the curtains the next episode). As the writers of the show try to avoid conclusions to certain problems, the stories of this group of friends seem more and more unrealistic. While the show's premise of this mystery lady has kept viewers consistently watching over the years, the end is inevitable, so hopefully this show picks up again and brings a great end to what has been an overall great TV series. Expand
  10. Oct 11, 2011
    What happened to the HIMYM we all used to love? The show is now merely a shadow of what it was in the past. the writing is horrible, the jokes aren't funny, everything is over-dramatized in an unbelievable way. The season premiere was awful, and it just went downhill from there. There are still moments where there are redeemable qualities, where we get to see the show's old essence, but most of the time, it's like "err, is this really the sitcom i used to adore?" truly awful and very disappointing. Expand
  11. Apr 20, 2012
    Season 7 seems to show the writers' uncertainty of the show. My guess is Alyson Hannigan's pregnancy has roCked the momentum of the show or something to that effect. Season 7 has lost the suspense of meeting Ted's wife. Not sure how this series will last at this point.
  12. Sep 20, 2011
    Just terrible - typical sitcom crap. This show ain't what it used to be. The dialogue is forced, the actors look tired & bored and the stories are recycled pap at best.
  13. Nov 16, 2011
    I do agree with all the big supporter of this show. Something wonderful has broken? I hope no. Hope that Robin's hair will grow as the sitcom quality.
  14. May 12, 2013
    What the hell is wrong with the actors & writers they have killed the only funny thing which has carried them through 6 seasons Barney Barney has started to suck as the writers do not have any new funny things for him to say.
  15. Oct 19, 2011
    I agree completely with Claire. My husband and I are great fans of the show, but after watching the latest episode last night we decided to abandon the show. The season has been pretty bad from the beginning, but we had hope. No more after the latest episode. The the plot line and writing were terrible. I actually had to look away at one point because I was so embarrassed for the show. I just feel sad. The show used to be great. Did they get new writers? Something has changed and hopefully they will wrap it up this season. Expand
  16. May 15, 2012
    A disastrous season finale. Unfunny implausible, utterly lacking in the heart that often redeems HIMYM's lesser outings.

Instead we discover that Ted, far from being a romantic with an occasional roguish streak now looks to be little better than a sleazeball with no conscience about doing unto others what was done unto him. At a stroke, he is no longer a sympathetic character, but is
    just a junior league version of Barney.

The episodes were rife with implausible and impossible situations that effectively neutered the humor. We laugh when we can relate, but Barney's adventures with airport security were so impossible as to drain any empthetic humor - and of course, finding out at the end that it was all for nothing because Barney's intended is destined to get dumped. This was compounded by the return of Victoria - in a wedding dress at a bar. Oh sigh, here we go again - another recycled romance - and of course, again, not THE ONE. This pedal on the organ has been pumped way too many times to be even remotely interesting let alone funny. This is no longer plot twist or even plot tease - it is just tiresome.

As to the birth of Marvin Ericsson - and don't get me started about the absurd middle name - it lacked all emotion. Marshall's miraculous turn from stone drunk to cold sober just in time for his "just in time" appearance in the birthing room, sans sanitized hospital garb, was nonsensical, unrealistic and so lightning fast as to be utterly without warmth or depth. This was a problem made worse by the fact that, yet again, we are treated to the presence of the whole group gawking at the baby instead of what would have been a far more touching family moment between the parents of the new baby. I don't know what it is, but whenever the writers of HIMYM attempt a touching moment between Marshall and Lilly, it falls flat - see their wedding as Exhibit A - and about the only thing that can be said about the baby Ericsson birth is that it continued the tradition of failed moments.

This season started awful, improved only slightly in the middle, and now has ended as it began vapid, stalled and unfunny. Clearly the show has exhausted its premise - even the acting has become formulaic as the stars begin to pursue new projects and are devoting less energy to the show. It is time to have Ted meet the girl of his dreams and put this show out of its exhausted misery.
  17. Mar 5, 2012
    A once funny show has lost its charm. Perhaps there are new writers. Perhaps bringing in Kal Penn was a bad idea. Whatever the reason, it's over. it's not witty, the curve-ball humor is gone, and the show will lose fans.
  18. May 13, 2013
    are people still watching this show???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
  19. May 11, 2013
    the writers of this show are sucking, its not funny anymore, they are trying too hard to make it funny. The acting is pathetic, Neil's role has let CBS to run this series for so long, the network should have shut this show down after the 5th season.
  20. May 13, 2013
    Seriously?? CBS has the guts to launch another season of how i met your mother?
    This serial has turned from mediocre comedy to a pathetic romantic drama show and they still want to run it.
    God help CBS.

There are no critic reviews yet.