How I Met Your Mother : Season 1

• Series Premiere Date: Sep 19, 2005
Season #: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
8.5

1. May 19, 2013
    This show had a good goal. To make people anticipate for something for 8 long years and even extending to a 9th season. But most of their jokes and writing aren't that good and making people wait can be either a big mistake or a good thing and this looks like a big mistake. But it is a good show to watch to just pass the time
  2. JB
    Aug 12, 2006
    I wanted to like this show for the actors' sake. I'm sorry to say that I can't. The show lacks rythme, any sense of comedic timing and a sense of chemistry as amongst the actors. Worse are the lines they're forced to say, stilted and artificial as they are.
  3. PorphyroU.
    May 21, 2009
    Bad show is bad. Poorly written with annoying actors (I want to punch Jason Segel in the face every time I see him), this series continues to thrive only on Barney Stinson's catchphrase, from what I can tell. An indictment against the intelligence of TV viewers.
  4. RaisaJ
    Apr 19, 2007
    Funny parts but sinking fast after a decent first season. The women characters are weak.
  5. Nov 29, 2012
    Starts out as a definite Friends rip off with Jason Segel saving the day. The main character is pretty obnoxious. Love interest suspense is blown right away (And that's how I met... your Aunt Robin), but we still have to suffer through several seasons of "will they won't they" when we know they won't... almost unbearable. Also, gimmick of dad telling the story to his kids doesn't makeStarts out as a definite Friends rip off with Jason Segel saving the day. The main character is pretty obnoxious. Love interest suspense is blown right away (And that's how I met... your Aunt Robin), but we still have to suffer through several seasons of "will they won't they" when we know they won't... almost unbearable. Also, gimmick of dad telling the story to his kids doesn't make much sense - they hit on it a few times ("Eating a giant Sandwich") But the dad is so often telling stories that are extremely inappropriate. Who would tell their kids details about all the chicks they banged before they met their mom? If you're going to start with a gimmick, at least stick with it. NPH's character is funny but one-note, especially in the early seasons, and Hannigan is funny too but occasionally disturbingly skinny to look at and too neurotic (never quite capturing the "Monica" of it all that she's trying for.). Cobie Smulders does a nice job with what is essentially a one-dimensional hot chick until quite a bit later in the season. Overall, this show improves the quality of the dialogue with time, but also kind of wears out its welcome due to the nature of the plot ("Ooo, when is he going to meet the mother?" Nobody cares.) Not a bad show, but not great either. Expand
  6. Apr 1, 2014
    Was very enjoyable for the first few seasons, then dragged through the rest with a few ups and downs in quality. The comedy was pretty solid early, but the drama was typically brought on forcefully and felt a bit soapy. The finale was very disappointing.
  7. Natalieo
    Oct 8, 2007
    The jokes get a bit old after a while
  8. DanielR.
    Sep 21, 2008
    Love the cast...but the show isn't that funny. Perhaps it would work better without the laugh track and the sit-com staginess? It just seems that with the talent involved, it could be so much better.
  9. Mar 20, 2017
    dsfg; uhjoigdfsbjkldsfg; uhjoigdfsbjkldsfg; uhjoigdfsbjkldsfg; uhjoigdfsbjkldsfg; uhjoigdfsbjkldsfg; uhjoigdfsbjkldsfg; uhjoigdfsbjkldsfg; uhjoigdfsbjkldsfg; uhjoigdfsbjkldsfg; uhjoigdfsbjkldsfg; uhjoigdfsbjkldsfg; uhjoigdfsbjkldsfg; uhjoigdfsbjkldsfg; uhjoigdfsbjkldsfg; uhjoigdfsbjkldsfg; uhjoigdfsbjkldsfg; uhjoigdfsbjkldsfg; uhjoigdfsbjkldsfg; uhjoigdfsbjkldsfg; uhjoigdfsbjkldsfg;dsfg; uhjoigdfsbjkldsfg; uhjoigdfsbjkldsfg; uhjoigdfsbjkldsfg; uhjoigdfsbjkldsfg; uhjoigdfsbjkldsfg; uhjoigdfsbjkldsfg; uhjoigdfsbjkldsfg; uhjoigdfsbjkldsfg; uhjoigdfsbjkldsfg; uhjoigdfsbjkldsfg; uhjoigdfsbjkldsfg; uhjoigdfsbjkldsfg; uhjoigdfsbjkldsfg; uhjoigdfsbjkldsfg; uhjoigdfsbjkldsfg; uhjoigdfsbjkldsfg; uhjoigdfsbjkldsfg; uhjoigdfsbjkldsfg; uhjoigdfsbjkldsfg; uhjoigdfsbjkldsfg; uhjoigdfsbjkldsfg; uhjoigdfsbjkldsfg; uhjoigdfsbjkldsfg; uhjoigdfsbjkldsfg; uhjoigdfsbjkl Expand
  10. Mar 5, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. How i met your mother is usually a lot of fun. The characters are all great and original, BUT by the time of March 6th, 2012; we are officially waiting for that mother for nearly 8 years... It can be really boring sometimes. For example some episodes at 6th season following the death of Marshall's father were really a pain to watch. What they could do was to introduce the mother during season 4 and 5 then build the story on Ted and the mother. We have waited for 7 years and still no mother character ? I am starting to worry that Ted will meet with the girl while he is 40 years old. Expand
  11. Feb 12, 2014
    No, just no. It was good first 3 seasons but then it has made feel so repetitive. So many awkward and unnecessary things happened. None of the characters are funny or original at all, except for Barney who is not anymore. It's just an average sitcom for me now. Just a cheap clone of Friends.
  12. Feb 3, 2015
    I watched this show very quickly but i still liked it. It is not very funny i thought it was going to be hilarious but its entertaining. I think the character ted mosby is very much like me so i found it relate-able so i liked it but over all its a good show.

1. Boston Globe
    Reviewed by: Matthew Gilbert
    Like ''Friends," this is not a big-themed series so much as a bunch of little character jokes and relationship confusions getting batted around by an able cast.
    The script is just poor.
  3. Chicago Tribune
    Reviewed by: Maureen Ryan
    Manages to get the balance of cuddliness and snark just right.