How to Make It in America : Season 1

Season #: 1, 2
7.9

1. Friday
    Feb 19, 2010
    Obviously, I wasn't the only one who thought about Entourage when watching this show (I didn't know about the Wahlberg connection either). Like Entourage, How To Make It In America has the potential to be a moderately entertaining show and not much more. But, like Entourage, with it's faux critique/not so secret worship the Los Angeles celebrity lifestyle, this show might Obviously, I wasn't the only one who thought about Entourage when watching this show (I didn't know about the Wahlberg connection either). Like Entourage, How To Make It In America has the potential to be a moderately entertaining show and not much more. But, like Entourage, with it's faux critique/not so secret worship the Los Angeles celebrity lifestyle, this show might turn out to be another case of glamorizing a group of people and a social scene with whom I have no emotional connection and who aren't actually that likable. I'll probably watch this season and then forget about it if it makes it back for another run. Expand
  2. Oct 8, 2011
    I like the Dominican aspect of the pilot, but I think the lead character is meh. Wahlberg is trying to portray ordinary Americans instead of stars (Entourage). This takes much more skill as the audience must connect with the characters. I do not think Americans will develop a fondness for the characters, and I think the show will not last long.

1. With a strong assist from Luis Guzmán as Cam's loan-shark cousin, Make It doesn't have a lotta laughs, but it's got charm and a feel for the atmosphere of downtown art galleries, parties, and business hustling.
  2. There are flashes of light--Rene (Luis Guzman), the ex-con Our Heroes go into debt with is a menacing delight with his own delusions of grandeur, and Cam's frenetic, audacious ambition blasts the plodding story line along in most unexpected ways. But Ben, sans direction or real ambition, is a black hole in every scene and fails in convincing the audience that he knows what he wants for dinner, much less out of life.
  3. While HBO’s new "How to Make It in America" is light on plot, characterization and humor, it’s got atmosphere to spare. And for a few episodes, that may be enough.