8.1

1. Apr 20, 2011
    Wonderful series, keep them coming! The cinematography is astounding as usual and the narration perfect. If you enjoyed Planet Earth and Life, you WILL enjoy this. However, for some reason, I thought Planet Earth and Life were slightly better.
  2. Apr 22, 2011
    Another great documentary! The tone of the show is also quite upbeat, focusing more heavily on human achievement and ingenuity than on our collective record of destruction.
    My only critique is that much of the show is seen through the eyes of a few individuals and, while I'm sure they were hoping this would make the programme more relate able overall, I found it gave it an overly provincial. It seemed particularly noticeable with the dialogue which was impossible to believe hadn't been scripted entirely by the production crew.
    All in all though very enjoyable and, perhaps more importantly, educational.
  3. Apr 16, 2011
    The BBC Natural History Unit never fails to impress. Photography is top notch and makes you frequently appreciate how difficult it must have been to get the footage. The narration flows beautifully in terms of both scripting and voicework by John Hurt. While Human Planet may be more off putting to some due to its depictions of hunting and harsh life circumstances (harsh, here meaningThe BBC Natural History Unit never fails to impress. Photography is top notch and makes you frequently appreciate how difficult it must have been to get the footage. The narration flows beautifully in terms of both scripting and voicework by John Hurt. While Human Planet may be more off putting to some due to its depictions of hunting and harsh life circumstances (harsh, here meaning difficult and occasionally gruesome), it excels at showing the grace, ferocity and inventiveness with which humans have approached the need to survive in different environments around the world. If you are a big fan of BBC Nature Docs then nothing should stop you from checking this one out. If you are on the fence and thus reading User Reviews on Metacritic, l strongly recommend you watch the series because you will undoubtedly see things that you will never forget. Guaranteed. Expand
  4. Nov 26, 2011
    During each of the eight episodes of this sweeping documentary I found myself staring at the screen, mouth agape. There are moments in each of the realms that will take your breath away. Tells stories of life at the fringes of our planet's livability with grace and beauty. I'll admit that I love documentaries in general, but this is a supremely watchable series for fans of all genres.During each of the eight episodes of this sweeping documentary I found myself staring at the screen, mouth agape. There are moments in each of the realms that will take your breath away. Tells stories of life at the fringes of our planet's livability with grace and beauty. I'll admit that I love documentaries in general, but this is a supremely watchable series for fans of all genres. Learn about your world. Well done. Expand
  5. Mar 20, 2013
    The photography is simply beautiful: absorbing, stunning, and often times strikingly gruesome. The behind the scenes bit at the end of every episode also helps you appreciate how difficult to obtain a lot of the footage was. The only letdown is the final episode. As a standalone episode it is solid, but feels out of place alongside the more memorable and enlightening ones before it. 9.6/10

1. Reviewed by: Verne Gay
    Apr 11, 2011
    Another Discovery/BBC beauty, but short on answering obvious questions.
  2. Reviewed by: Neil Genzlinger
    Apr 8, 2011
    Sure, it all makes for pretty filmmaking, but isn't not having to risk your life for a simple meal one of the benefits of civilization? There's something unsettling about glorifying subsistence living for the sake of our high-definition televisions.
  3. Reviewed by: Tom Gliatto
    Apr 8, 2011
    The photography is sweepingly gorgeous--this must be the best of all possible planets. [18 Apr 2011, p.46]