Season #: 1, 2, 3
8.2

1. Sep 11, 2015
    Surprisingly enough, this is an amazingly good show (it could have been reallllly bad)! While tackling (but not overwhelmingly so) the question of "what does it mean to be human" the plot has developed at a good pace with multiple character story lines beginning to intermingle. The good thing is all of the characters don't KNOW yet their stores are intermingling which makes it even moreSurprisingly enough, this is an amazingly good show (it could have been reallllly bad)! While tackling (but not overwhelmingly so) the question of "what does it mean to be human" the plot has developed at a good pace with multiple character story lines beginning to intermingle. The good thing is all of the characters don't KNOW yet their stores are intermingling which makes it even more enjoyable. There is a bit here for everyone Sci-fi, suspense, mystery, and good endings to each episode that leaves you wondering what is going to happen next? I'm about halfway through the first season and the many factors keep things suspenseful. Really glad its been renewed for a second season. Expand
  2. Sep 25, 2015
    I was initially enjoying the show very much. The performances and character development were great. But near the end the plot just dies to the point of being completely uninteresting. I know it's hard for British shows, because they have tiny budgets, but this ultimately turned out to be a disappointment.
  3. Sep 26, 2015
    Humans is a very profound and intense television show. A very thought-provoking story on the near-future that tells the disturbing truth where our technology might be headed. I am definitely looking forward to Season 2.
  4. Jan 10, 2017
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I'm such a sucker for A.I, robot, synthetic stories. I saw a preview for humans and was very curious. I finished the 1st season and am overall pleased but I was far from blown away.

As much as the story grabbed me, I some how felt that the flow was a bit slow, but still grabbed me enough to keep up with it. I feel in love with all the Synths pretty much from the start, and found myself rolling my eyes at the humans, which I think you're supposed to do. However, to me it felt a bit cliche that that each one of the family members fit a stereotype. I actually liked the stories of all the synths much more. It shows you that even robots can have different experiences which fleshes out how they act and why they act that way. I found it very neat! Because it makes you wonder, how does a true A.I "feel" after being mistreated, or being pampered?

Even though the robots vs humans bit has been done before, I like the contrast in the show, where not everyone feels that Synths are bad. It keeps me on my toes the more I find out the history of the special Synths and to me is the key driving point to the show. However the family, I feel is randomly stuck in the middle of an odd situation and TBH, much like the kids in Jurassic World, we could have done without their "mum and daddy" issues randomly being thrown in.

What knocked Humans down to a 7 for me (which is still good! Don't get me wrong) is the finale, it dragged out awkwardly. Seriously, it goes from military like arrest, to questionable lab table experiments to lets play ball out in the yard, to lets have a family moment and a change of heart. I had higher hopes obviously, but scratched my head a few times throughout.

Season 2's trailer seems like they are ramping it up a lot more and hopefully gets their story and character development a little bit more on track.

Overall a Sci-Fi lovers show for sure. You'll definitely be entertained.
  5. Jul 11, 2015
    Any time the story involves anthropomorphic robots, you know it's going to be about them developing consciousness. And that doesn't really matter anymore, the important thing is how you conduct your show and how you make a trite storyline feel fresh and innovative nonetheless.

Humans does it quite well, first and foremost by inserting the humanoid robots in a completely everyday suburban context and in what feel like contemporary times, instead of the far future. It's a cool start of the season, I'm just hoping the story becomes a little more intricate.
  6. Jul 5, 2015
    so far so good! a standard and currently popular psychological series with a breath of sci-fi with great cast and play. i can feel the hatred and rage for one or two character for being astonishingly stupid, i can feel the sadness, i can feel the joy ..... well what can i say? the casts are just good at it!
  7. Jun 28, 2015
    Sci-fi/psychological is rising to a peak right now... Orphan Black, Mr. robot, and now this...my other favorite sci-fi is getting cancelled with only six more episodes this summer (looking at you Continuum). Anyway, this show is stellar and the pilot episode wastes no time diving into the deep. I was concerned it was going to take a while to build up to the disturbing synth behavior, butSci-fi/psychological is rising to a peak right now... Orphan Black, Mr. robot, and now this...my other favorite sci-fi is getting cancelled with only six more episodes this summer (looking at you Continuum). Anyway, this show is stellar and the pilot episode wastes no time diving into the deep. I was concerned it was going to take a while to build up to the disturbing synth behavior, but we are dropped into the disturbing scenario almost from the get-go. If you want an even better pilot than this DO NOT MISS MR. ROBOT; still I give both a ten trusting the rides of both are going to be worth it, Expand
  8. Jul 7, 2015
    Sorry to be the first naysayer here, but after the first two eps of "Humans" aren't standing out in any way. It plays a lot on the well-worn, stereotypical distrust for androids. Yes, there's a mysterious back-story to "Anita" who's a bit different but it's clear they're going to slow-roll that for the entire season, yawn. I'm on the FF button more than Play for this slow action drama, andSorry to be the first naysayer here, but after the first two eps of "Humans" aren't standing out in any way. It plays a lot on the well-worn, stereotypical distrust for androids. Yes, there's a mysterious back-story to "Anita" who's a bit different but it's clear they're going to slow-roll that for the entire season, yawn. I'm on the FF button more than Play for this slow action drama, and after writing all this may have just talked myself into pressing Stop. Expand
  9. Jul 28, 2015
    Mediocre series with crappy acting, plot is slightly different than the usual but too reliant on same old concerns of synths taking over the world etc, etc.

Just wish they had executed the script more interestingly, there are so many angles and interesting places this could have explored, but it is just too bland and obvious and why is it set in modern day, this sort of technology isn't going to be around for decades.

Lots of holes in the storyline - the Average life of a synth is supposedly 4 to 5 years as portrayed in the series but the cost to buy one of these would be more than any average family could afford. Even after many years of production the cost would be huge and an average family is not going to buy something that costs the same as a small house if it only lasts 5 years.
  10. Jun 29, 2015
    There have been plenty of shows that have wondered what the existence of robots might mean. From "Terminator" to "iRobot," it usually ends with the creators (us humans) losing control. You get the feeling that "Humans" is headed in that direction. The territory it traveled in the pilot wasn't new, per se, but it was well told and lends itself to plenty of other possibilities. It feels likeThere have been plenty of shows that have wondered what the existence of robots might mean. From "Terminator" to "iRobot," it usually ends with the creators (us humans) losing control. You get the feeling that "Humans" is headed in that direction. The territory it traveled in the pilot wasn't new, per se, but it was well told and lends itself to plenty of other possibilities. It feels like a journey that might be worth taking. Expand
  11. Jul 10, 2015
    It's OK... but if you've seen the original, the story has been butchered. Characters are missing, their traits, or the characters themselves, merged with other characters and many of the synths have been eliminated from the story altogether. Huge chunks of the plot have been chopped out, and new stuff sprinkled in. The plot itself has been hugely resequenced. Lots and lots of characterIt's OK... but if you've seen the original, the story has been butchered. Characters are missing, their traits, or the characters themselves, merged with other characters and many of the synths have been eliminated from the story altogether. Huge chunks of the plot have been chopped out, and new stuff sprinkled in. The plot itself has been hugely resequenced. Lots and lots of character development is gone, especially with the synths in episodes 1 & 2.
    One reason for all the changes must be the duration of the series. Real Humans was 10 episodes per season, Humans is 8. They must air fewer ads in Sweden, as the episodes were about 10 minutes longer. Real Humans told the story in 9.1 hours; Humans attempts to do it in 6 hours. 3.1 hours of the story gone...
  12. Aug 9, 2015
    The only way to like this show is if you already have a penchant for Eastenders and Corrie, if thats the case you probably havent heard the story of Androids becoming self aware. If you have you are in for one massive disappointment. Theres not much special FX to keep you interested either, its hammy acting by a cast that wouldnt get work on Neighbours never mind the UK soaps, theThe only way to like this show is if you already have a penchant for Eastenders and Corrie, if thats the case you probably havent heard the story of Androids becoming self aware. If you have you are in for one massive disappointment. Theres not much special FX to keep you interested either, its hammy acting by a cast that wouldnt get work on Neighbours never mind the UK soaps, the storyline is as unoriginal as it gets and the amount of suspending your disbelieve it asks isnt worth it.
    If they really spent the millions they say they did on this show, then you are reading a review by a two tailed, one eyed cat.
  13. Aug 20, 2015
    This Blade Runner knockoff originally made in Sweden, now a British co-production, is saved by some interesting twists on that basic premise that keep interest up. But with so much technology since why wouldn't there be?
    It's set in England which is a very interesting and welcome departure from typical American shows, even if the accents are not, and airing on what was once known as the American Movie Classics channel yet it's neither American, nor a movie, nor a classic. So much for the stupid network's nonsensical name which they should have either changed or stayed what they were for content. Even back then, ever seen some of the trash they aired? If those are classics, then the word no longer has any meaning morons! They will say it is now just the acronym but that doesn't excuse their past idiocy.
  14. Jul 23, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Humans is one of my favourite Sci-Fi shows this year. The cast is very well chosen, the actors do a great job (Especially the robot called Anita/Mia... It still gives me goosebumps when she switches personalities in the beginning). The story developes in a slow but engaging way and with every episode you want to sit closer to your TV and kiss it. The special effects (even there is not many) are intriguing and placed with great taste. I have no downers to report. Great show in all aspects. Expand
  15. Aug 8, 2015
    While this TV show lacks something revolutionary and fresh, the first season of Humans is still an intriguing watch with thought-provoking themes about humanity and technology.

Rating: 8.5/10 Pros: +The show has very interesting and thought-provoking themes about humanity and technology. +The best part of the show was the dynamic between the Synths who are the main characters of

Rating: 8.5/10

Pros:
    +The best part of the show was the dynamic between the Synths who are the main characters of the show.
    +The performances of the Synths in the show are outstanding. Gemma Chan who plays Anita/Mia is a highlight as she has a great balance between playing a robotic synth and a human-like synth.

Cons:
    -The show lacked something revolutionary and fresh. I just can't put a finger in it.
  16. Aug 9, 2015
    Fun ride, but the "who should I care about" question loomed large in this series with no actual protagonist coming to the fore. Very seamlessly shot, great ensemble cast and good direction made it easy to watch. The overarching question was -- should humans allow sentient robots -- so philosophical that it got lost in the "excitement" of the chase. Next season should get the "meat" ofFun ride, but the "who should I care about" question loomed large in this series with no actual protagonist coming to the fore. Very seamlessly shot, great ensemble cast and good direction made it easy to watch. The overarching question was -- should humans allow sentient robots -- so philosophical that it got lost in the "excitement" of the chase. Next season should get the "meat" of this introduction season. Expand
  17. Jul 28, 2018
    Love the show. I like the concept on how it is to be a human. Season 1 is great. The beginning of mystery, makes one thing i hope, about life. Mind opening

1. Reviewed by: Mekeisha Madden Toby
    Jun 30, 2015
    While a subplot involving a John Brown-type Synth liberator, Leo (“Merlin’s” Colin Morgan), is a heavy-handed distraction, Humans holds up as a slightly humorous, thought-provoking, creepy piece of sci-fi filled with sympathetic performances and solid writing.
  2. Reviewed by: Ken Tucker
    Jun 30, 2015
    Humans is a clever piece of work.
  3. Reviewed by: David Hinckley
    Jun 30, 2015
    The Synths start to act in unexpected ways, and several ominous developments warn us that artificial intelligence must be controlled and directed. What stays with us about Humans, though, are the reminders of all the little ways things will change once we hand part of our lives over to robots.