Hung : Season 1

Season #: 1, 2, 3
7.3

1. KenB.
    Jul 18, 2009
    The main actor does a fine job but the writers failed here. The tone should be lighter and the themes darker (like one gets with Weeds). Instead we get dialog that never seems to go anywhere toward developing these characters, or saying anything satirical or insightful. Anne Heche seems particularly lost in her role and says her lines like she is reading a telephone book. 2 episodes was The main actor does a fine job but the writers failed here. The tone should be lighter and the themes darker (like one gets with Weeds). Instead we get dialog that never seems to go anywhere toward developing these characters, or saying anything satirical or insightful. Anne Heche seems particularly lost in her role and says her lines like she is reading a telephone book. 2 episodes was enough for me. Expand
  2. BrettE
    Jul 19, 2009
    Confused by which road to take, it ends up being a laugh-free comedy. HBO can do better.
  3. AveryC
    Aug 16, 2009
    I like Thomas Jane and Anne Heche, but I don't like Jane Adams. I think she's talented, but I don't like nerds, neurotics, or clumsy people. If you do, you might enjoy her. This show disappoints me greatly. I feel that I'm being lectured by it. It's a sheep in wolf's clothing. I don't want to watch someone get lectured for only being attracted to I like Thomas Jane and Anne Heche, but I don't like Jane Adams. I think she's talented, but I don't like nerds, neurotics, or clumsy people. If you do, you might enjoy her. This show disappoints me greatly. I feel that I'm being lectured by it. It's a sheep in wolf's clothing. I don't want to watch someone get lectured for only being attracted to beautiful women, as happens in episode 3 or 4. 'Hung' is like a cross between 'Freaks and Geeks' and a Coen Brothers movie (maybe 'The Big Lebowski'), neither of which I like. Like a Coen Brothers film, 'Hung' treats people as caricatures. Like 'Freaks and Geeks', it focuses on personal failure and social and/or romantic awkwardness. In no way is this show like 'Californication' or 'Sex and the City'. The show's sex is comically bad, and its exploration of relationships is very high school. When I watch a cable show, I want to see very attractive people saying very clever things and living a wild life. I want a blend of 'Breakfast at TIffany's', 'Weddng Crashers', and 'Last Tango in Paris'. I group 'Hung', despite its plot, with sows I perceive as pivoting on adolescent sexuality ('Freaks and Geeks' and '30 Rock'). Expand
  4. Dec 27, 2010
    Jane Adams' character is supposed to be the good one but you cannot help but hate her because she plays it in such a way that annoys the piss out of you. The writing is average. The story itself is a bit stupid but draws you in at first, until it ultimately lets you down when nothing happens in the show. Very average show that I would tell others not to bother with.

Hung, despite some droll humor and the occasional dry insight, is even more of a disappointment.
  2. Thomas Jane, though, is a revelation--he plays hopeless haplessness without coming off wimpy, and his initial uncomfortableness as a pro gigolo is charming. But Hung's awkward tone becomes frustrating.
  3. The show is pretty darned funny, especially once you get past the 45-minute pilot and into the half-hour regular episodes (smaller is better, actually).