Hung : Season 1

• Series Premiere Date: Jun 28, 2009
Season #: 1, 2, 3
7.3

1. Feb 27, 2011
    I find this show funny and fascinating. The scenario also seems pretty realistic to me. I love how it portrays and explores a variety of types of relationship and the characters negotiating and navigating around/through individual boundaries (their own and each others). And I love watching Tanya and Ray, in all their naivety, trying to figure out the world of professional prostitution.I find this show funny and fascinating. The scenario also seems pretty realistic to me. I love how it portrays and explores a variety of types of relationship and the characters negotiating and navigating around/through individual boundaries (their own and each others). And I love watching Tanya and Ray, in all their naivety, trying to figure out the world of professional prostitution. It's oddly sweet. Expand
  2. Dec 27, 2010
    Jane Adams' character is supposed to be the good one but you cannot help but hate her because she plays it in such a way that annoys the piss out of you. The writing is average. The story itself is a bit stupid but draws you in at first, until it ultimately lets you down when nothing happens in the show. Very average show that I would tell others not to bother with.
  3. Nov 3, 2010
    Very well done comedy. This show is funny and smart in a pretty crazy way. Who could imagine a show about a male prostitute could be funny and smart? only HBO could pull this off.
  4. Aug 6, 2010
    Flipping through the channels, I assumed Hung was the second coming of a new Westerns age. I was mildly unsatisfied with the outcome; however, the show about a male escort is original and funny in its own quaint way. Some may feel the short length a bit lacking, but for this show, any longer would make things repetitive and dull.
  5. EstherM
    Sep 21, 2009
    This show is so different from all that mediocre stuff out there and so well written that I think about it during the week and write my own plotline in my head. I really hope it continues.
  6. KittyC
    Aug 23, 2009
    I love this show. Thomas Jane is humble and likeable. Jane Adams is excellent and quirky It has kind of a coming of age sort of quality. Im a fan and hope they continue to air this series.
  7. NickM.
    Aug 22, 2009
    Wow this is an extremely ambitious and original plot and in my opinion HBO did it again. Hung exposes a side of many middleage individuals who can easily see their selves reflected in its characters. How many people feel trapped in a job without being able to develop their true passion, there is Tanya's everywhere if we stop and think for a moment. How many man have ever thought at Wow this is an extremely ambitious and original plot and in my opinion HBO did it again. Hung exposes a side of many middleage individuals who can easily see their selves reflected in its characters. How many people feel trapped in a job without being able to develop their true passion, there is Tanya's everywhere if we stop and think for a moment. How many man have ever thought at least once and for a second about being a male escort. Think for a second. How many people feel like they are just surviving in society and not really living? Well... Hung portrais the insatisfaction that sometimes is part of life with grace and tons of intelligent humor. Thnks for Hung HBO. Expand
  8. AveryC
    Aug 16, 2009
    I like Thomas Jane and Anne Heche, but I don't like Jane Adams. I think she's talented, but I don't like nerds, neurotics, or clumsy people. If you do, you might enjoy her. This show disappoints me greatly. I feel that I'm being lectured by it. It's a sheep in wolf's clothing. I don't want to watch someone get lectured for only being attracted to I like Thomas Jane and Anne Heche, but I don't like Jane Adams. I think she's talented, but I don't like nerds, neurotics, or clumsy people. If you do, you might enjoy her. This show disappoints me greatly. I feel that I'm being lectured by it. It's a sheep in wolf's clothing. I don't want to watch someone get lectured for only being attracted to beautiful women, as happens in episode 3 or 4. 'Hung' is like a cross between 'Freaks and Geeks' and a Coen Brothers movie (maybe 'The Big Lebowski'), neither of which I like. Like a Coen Brothers film, 'Hung' treats people as caricatures. Like 'Freaks and Geeks', it focuses on personal failure and social and/or romantic awkwardness. In no way is this show like 'Californication' or 'Sex and the City'. The show's sex is comically bad, and its exploration of relationships is very high school. When I watch a cable show, I want to see very attractive people saying very clever things and living a wild life. I want a blend of 'Breakfast at TIffany's', 'Weddng Crashers', and 'Last Tango in Paris'. I group 'Hung', despite its plot, with sows I perceive as pivoting on adolescent sexuality ('Freaks and Geeks' and '30 Rock'). Expand
  9. JoeB
    Aug 2, 2009
    'Hung' has an interesting plot, but it doesn't seem to have found its stride. The reason I like it is because of Thomas Jane who has a very likable quality about him. He isn't given the best range to work with here. The writers of the show haven't come up with amazing scripts. The supporting characters don't really fit in. I still have high hopes for this 'Hung' has an interesting plot, but it doesn't seem to have found its stride. The reason I like it is because of Thomas Jane who has a very likable quality about him. He isn't given the best range to work with here. The writers of the show haven't come up with amazing scripts. The supporting characters don't really fit in. I still have high hopes for this fledgling comedy. Expand
  10. EliasC
    Aug 2, 2009
    I am still undecided about this series. As in all HBO series, the story is more than the title suggests. HBO series' are all about character and complexity and although the series is getting there, it is not there yet. I thing that the series will find itself if given a chance and really take off in the second year. I had similar feelings about the Showtime series I am still undecided about this series. As in all HBO series, the story is more than the title suggests. HBO series' are all about character and complexity and although the series is getting there, it is not there yet. I thing that the series will find itself if given a chance and really take off in the second year. I had similar feelings about the Showtime series 'Californication', a series I disliked at first but after a half a season, its strengths began to show as the storyline and character development improved. The thing to keep in mine while watching this show, despite the title, is that it is not about sex but about sexual attitudes. Think a second about what the show would have been like if Thomas Jane was female and Tanya Skagle was a male pimp. Expand
  11. ZackW
    Aug 1, 2009
    The show is genuine and engrossing. It starts slow but the show picks up steam when Ray begins embracing his new role in life and he realizes that is a race against time to save his home and his children. By the 4th episode, he has grown into his role and calls himself "a professional." I also enjoy the use of Detroit as a character in the story, much as HBO harnesses the flavor of LA in The show is genuine and engrossing. It starts slow but the show picks up steam when Ray begins embracing his new role in life and he realizes that is a race against time to save his home and his children. By the 4th episode, he has grown into his role and calls himself "a professional." I also enjoy the use of Detroit as a character in the story, much as HBO harnesses the flavor of LA in "Entourage" and New York in "Sex and the City." Ray reflects the city's storied history and struggle to rise again to past glories. Expand
  12. DanR
    Jul 28, 2009
    I thought the pilot episode was quite nicely done, but now with each episode this darned thing draws me in deeper. I'm kinda fascinated with it. And I disagree with those who say it isn't funny, it's just a smarter level of humor than most knuckleheaded shows.
    Jul 20, 2009
    This is a country song with a well-hung riff. Apparently the only way we can accept a male hooker is to make him the most pathetic and miserable person possible -- divorce, fire, crap kids, broke, pussy neighbor, etc. The Chicago Sun-Times thinks there are "worse ways to spend your nights than with Ray Drecker." I think the Sun-Times has a very limited social life.
  14. ChrisL
    Jul 20, 2009
    It has a weeds quality to it. It is a show that has legs.
  15. BrettE
    Jul 19, 2009
    Confused by which road to take, it ends up being a laugh-free comedy. HBO can do better.
  16. MandyG.
    Jul 19, 2009
    I think this show is fabulous. The characters are great and the humor is just what people need to have a good laugh. All the actors are perfect in their roles ...I love Ray he is perfect for this part!!! Hurray once again to HBO. You seem to never disappoint us.
  17. Bobbie
    Jul 18, 2009
    Love this show this guy is awesome. hes cute , quirky, and the illusion he is "hung'is a desirable attribute.
  18. KenB.
    Jul 18, 2009
    The main actor does a fine job but the writers failed here. The tone should be lighter and the themes darker (like one gets with Weeds). Instead we get dialog that never seems to go anywhere toward developing these characters, or saying anything satirical or insightful. Anne Heche seems particularly lost in her role and says her lines like she is reading a telephone book. 2 episodes was The main actor does a fine job but the writers failed here. The tone should be lighter and the themes darker (like one gets with Weeds). Instead we get dialog that never seems to go anywhere toward developing these characters, or saying anything satirical or insightful. Anne Heche seems particularly lost in her role and says her lines like she is reading a telephone book. 2 episodes was enough for me. Expand
  19. AlexW.
    Jul 6, 2009
    Strong potential for a pilot episode.
  20. MikeM.
    Jul 2, 2009
    Reverse Sexism at its best. Most men have had about enough of this garbage. No wonder why mail order brides are onb the rise. The women in the US are all size queens. Nothing in this show for a human.
  21. KristinaM.
    Jun 29, 2009
    There's something very sexy about this show.
  22. KristinaM.
    Jun 29, 2009
    There's something very sexy about this show.
  23. pat
    Jun 29, 2009
    Transformers 2 to scores 37% and earns $200million. This starts Thomas Jane & Jane Adams and is produced by Alexander Payne and it only gets 67%? Can I please go back to the real world because I'm tired of living on Bizarro Earth.

Hung, despite some droll humor and the occasional dry insight, is even more of a disappointment.
  2. Thomas Jane, though, is a revelation--he plays hopeless haplessness without coming off wimpy, and his initial uncomfortableness as a pro gigolo is charming. But Hung's awkward tone becomes frustrating.
  3. The show is pretty darned funny, especially once you get past the 45-minute pilot and into the half-hour regular episodes (smaller is better, actually).