• Network: HBO
  • Series Premiere Date: Jan 28, 2008
  • Season #: 1 , 2 , 3 , 8
8.6

1. Dec 28, 2011
    Out of psychic steam. This domestic third series is a real let down - a crash and burn version that will not make it to a fourth series. Though the acting is still top-notch, Paul Weston has run out of road - he is too depressed and is repeating himself. The patients are interesting but not that credible - the intellectual Sunil would not put up with the **** he is being forced to suffer. Jesse flip flops five times an episode. Frances is a narcissist - the best performer this year IS Debra Winger. And the flirtation with the new therapist is just terrible - a bum note in a series that had, until this one, not sounded a single one.

Still, this is unmissable - intelligent, superbly acted, sometimes moving, always different.
  2. Nov 28, 2010
    Let me preface this by saying I was an In Treatment addict for Seasons I and II. Season III demonstrates an extraordinary lack of creativity in writing and bad acting that is so painful at times that I wonder why I continue to see the series through to the end. Of course, Gabriel Byrne continues to play Paul with his usual intensity and level of mastery. The character of Sunil is likewise portrayed with subtlety by Irrfan Khan. However, even Debra Winger cannot save the stale writing for the character of Frances and lack of imagination for a compelling story behind that character. Most egregious is the horribly stereotyped character of Jessie, that is an affront to gay folks everywhere. His dialogue basically consists of a litany of overacted profanity describing his sexual exploits--ham ham ham, and annoying ham at that. The replacement of Gina Tolle with Paul's new Therapist is equally as soporific, as the character has nothing compelling about her, and the actress fits the part perfectly. Such a disappointment. Expand
  3. Nov 17, 2010
    I'm a huge fan of this show and Gabriel Byrne. However, I wish the writers would stop having Paul Weston coming to the U.S. when he was twelve years old. Anyone knows that an Irish kid of that age would have long since lost his thick brogue, living in America.
    Byrne actually left Dublin when he was 37, and is now 61 years old. The brogue was well-established and present today as it
    should be obviously in Paul Weston. He is so Irish. Even Sunil had to notice that. Writers: Fix that logistics problem; it's a huge flaw. Expand
  4. Nov 3, 2010
    This season has managed to make me angry and anxious. Not in a bad way but in a good way because the way they present and act makes me feel like I am the one in the couch and no matter what side I see myself in I can just taste tension. This kind of immersion I have never felt before with any show.
  5. Oct 29, 2010
    Wow. They've done it again! This time without scripts from Israel. Every episode is fascinating. The acting is amazing, though it's a little hard to tell with Debra Winger as her role is that of a person who's largely fake. We were a little confused by the first episode with the young adopted man, as it seemed that we were entering in the middle, but that turned out to be smart and effective. My main question is whether Paul, the psychotherapist will survive until the end of the season. All in all, clearly one of the best shows on TV. Collapse

1. Reviewed by: James Poniewozik
    Oct 28, 2010
    I've seen two weeks of the season, and so far I'm rapt. In Treatment may be in uncharted ground with its new, original stories, but it remains a show that rewards patience, and patients.
  2. Reviewed by: Heather Havrilesky
    Oct 25, 2010
    As entertaining as In Treatment can be at times, the third season may be the most grueling of them all. It's tough to see how any of these characters will find anything remotely resembling a sense of happiness before the season is over. Unfortunately, this season may also be the most simplistic so far.
  3. Reviewed by: Tom Gliatto
    Oct 25, 2010
    Therapist Paul Weston a human-shaped cloud who grumbles with the low thunder of the maladjusted, has drifted back for a gripping new season of HBO's In Treatment. Gabriel Byrne plays the part flawlessly, and he's up against two especially rewarding talents. [1 Nov 2010, p.42]