In Treatment : Season 1

• Series Premiere Date: Jan 28, 2008
Season #: 1, 2, 3, 8
9.2

1. Jul 7, 2015
    Overall well constructed and well played. Unfortunately though the characters are either uninteresting (Laura, Amy, Jake almost until the very end) or annoying (Laura, Amy, Sophie during the first episodes, Alex almost until the end, Jake almost until the very end). Paul's session with Gina are excruciatingly boring (except the couple sessions). Still an appreciable attempt: it's not easyOverall well constructed and well played. Unfortunately though the characters are either uninteresting (Laura, Amy, Jake almost until the very end) or annoying (Laura, Amy, Sophie during the first episodes, Alex almost until the end, Jake almost until the very end). Paul's session with Gina are excruciatingly boring (except the couple sessions). Still an appreciable attempt: it's not easy to construct a series that is watchable although it has no action at all! Expand
  2. Dec 31, 2011
    30 episodes (no pun) in and I am addicted (pun). As a chartered psychologist but not clinically orientated. It is drawing me towards the dark side (pun). I hope clinical practice is this interesting (no pun).
  3. Nov 3, 2010
    This show surprised me greatly. I never thought a show about a therapist and his patients could hold my attention for 5 days a week but this show did just that. It is incredibly entertaining and many of the issues are issues we all face and the show manages to resonate into people. It's pure genius and the cast, like most HBO productions, is top notch.
  4. rowanc
    Aug 6, 2009
    Ditto - it's addictive as a practicing therapist of 10 years, I was afraid to watch, though I like Gabriel Byrne. I was afraid that it would roll out familiar if inaccurate stereotypes of therapy. It does visit those areas, but somehow does so in a subtle and realistic way.
  5. DianeG
    Aug 2, 2009
    This show is amazing in its reproduction of what therapy is really like and in its depictions of what lies underneath the superficial and day to day personnas we show to the world. It moves a bit faster than reality but that bit of poetic license is perfectly acceptable. I hope and believe that this show will do more to advance the cause of analytic psychotherapy as a century's old This show is amazing in its reproduction of what therapy is really like and in its depictions of what lies underneath the superficial and day to day personnas we show to the world. It moves a bit faster than reality but that bit of poetic license is perfectly acceptable. I hope and believe that this show will do more to advance the cause of analytic psychotherapy as a century's old method of healing than anything the media has ever done. In fact, good therapy is captivating for the client and is probably the most significant series of events in the lives of those lucky enough to undertake it. It has the quality of creating a comfortable character for us which we can live with throughout the rest of our existence. In Treatment alone of all therapy depictions has generated that sense for the viewer. Hopefully, it will help others who are hesitantly considering therapy, to make the final move of walking through that door. Expand
  6. AaronZ
    Jul 1, 2009
    We all know people with similar attitudes, problems and behaivours. Also found a little bit of all of them in myself. It's a remarkable, interesting and addicting show. Thanks HBO, you gave me a reason to watch something beyond Discovery Channel.
  7. donm
    May 11, 2009
    What a refreshuing change to the current stale state of TV! Intelligent, heartfelt mini-movies of intense dramatic content. Entertaining and instructive like all good art.
  8. RalphP
    May 10, 2009
    What to me is most revelatory--and fascinating--about In Treatment the contrast between Paul the therapist and Paul the patient. The former appears mostly in control but also weary, sad, empathic, and, well, nice. The latter, on the other hand, in his scenes with Gina, his own therapist, is often out of control and angry. Not a therapist or patient myself, I can only guess that this What to me is most revelatory--and fascinating--about In Treatment the contrast between Paul the therapist and Paul the patient. The former appears mostly in control but also weary, sad, empathic, and, well, nice. The latter, on the other hand, in his scenes with Gina, his own therapist, is often out of control and angry. Not a therapist or patient myself, I can only guess that this contrast is not at all uncommon. Expand
  9. AaronM.
    May 5, 2009
    I love this show, it keeps me at full attention from beginning to end.
  10. GailT
    Jan 9, 2009
    I really enjoy this show. I have a busy schedule and thought I would never catch up on missed episodes. Thank goodness for video on demand. I had the opportunity to get to know each character individually. In life, everyone has different issues to deal with. This show keeps it real. I am looking forward to seeing it more.
  11. JenniferL
    Nov 11, 2008
    This utterly addictive show is full of brilliant acting, most notably Mia Wasikowska, Melissa George and Gabriel Byrne.
  12. CristinaC
    Oct 19, 2008
    It helps me to learn how to deal with different personality types. Also how not to take certain behaviours personally, being able to distinguish between words and the message carried underneath. This is finally an excellent use of how the media can help shape society without influencing it. I'd be glad to see more of these attempts to happen!
  13. BrendaG.
    Aug 31, 2008
    These are issues that happn in people's lives but are never considered interesting enough for TV. It's intense, it's beautifully acted, someone has great writing skills. Probably nothing could inform the viewing public what therapy might be like if they are actually considering it but have never pursued it. I doubt all therapists are that smart, but I haven't met them These are issues that happn in people's lives but are never considered interesting enough for TV. It's intense, it's beautifully acted, someone has great writing skills. Probably nothing could inform the viewing public what therapy might be like if they are actually considering it but have never pursued it. I doubt all therapists are that smart, but I haven't met them all, just a couple. It's fantastic. Expand
  14. MossR.
    Jul 14, 2008
    Those who put it down as boring must have expected pacing like Matrix or Mission Impossible. Character driven work presented as entertainment has been the substance of the greatest masterpieces. This isn't Shakespeare, but it has its similarities. This program was recommended by one of my MSW (Masters in Social Work) professors. It offers an intriguing look into occasionally familiar Those who put it down as boring must have expected pacing like Matrix or Mission Impossible. Character driven work presented as entertainment has been the substance of the greatest masterpieces. This isn't Shakespeare, but it has its similarities. This program was recommended by one of my MSW (Masters in Social Work) professors. It offers an intriguing look into occasionally familiar dynamics between patient and therapist in private. What might occur after many sessions takes place in less that 30 minutes. The flaws and inaccuracies of the therapists observations, and the numerous shifts of power among "the ones in the room" are obviously portrayals. Yet they are very similar to what happens in treatment. Each client is seeking help in sorting out troubling conflicts. The therapists style is respectful and his observations are based on extensive training. But he is human and the sessions are mixed with his brilliance as a therapist along with arrogance and weaknesses. But then, that seems to be what the whole thing is about. Expand
  15. JasonF.
    Jun 8, 2008
    I really miss this show. Starting out, I wasn't into it, but then I became addicted, and I loved the daily schedule. Gabriel Byrne is remarkable, the writing is deeply intelligent, and his patients are engaging and real. I hope it comes back, if only to see Byrne reprise his briliant role. Great stuff.
  16. JoanneR.
    Apr 21, 2008
    I absolutely loved this show. I watched all the shows on demand. I have two left to watch and I hate to end it. I love Paul and his relationship with his patients. He is so sexy! Please keep them coming!
  17. LisaB.
    Apr 18, 2008
    I love... love... love. ..in treatment the best show on hbo.. Please have a second season!!
  18. AlD.
    Apr 3, 2008
    Excellent and unusual approach to a character analysis. Melissa George drew me in (she is the next 'big' superstar in Hollywood), but each of the other days' characters turned out to be fascinating and well acted, as well. Watching it back to back was much better, I imagine, than waiting for each show to air! Very well done, HBO.
  19. OrnaK.
    Apr 1, 2008
    I hope there will be many more seasons of In Treatment. Superb!!!
  20. DD
    Mar 30, 2008
    I am addicted to IN TREATMENT. Every cast member is superb and Gabriel Byrne is certainly one of the finest actors of our time. He conveys more in an expression then most actors do in a page of dialogue. Brilliant
  21. DorieD.
    Mar 29, 2008
    One of the best on HBO I've seen ever!! Acting was terrific. Bring it on again!! We need more of this and less of the slosh available on regular TV.
  22. SusanH.
    Mar 29, 2008
    Love it - love it- Best show on tv - am completely hooked. All the actors are superb.
  23. CaroleS.
    Mar 28, 2008
    This show was like a magnet. Please bring it back and continue. I hope that Paul finds happiness...disappointed that he didn't make it with Laura...Acting is the best....Great cast
  24. TColletti
    Mar 26, 2008
    This show has some of the best acting I have ever seen on TV.
  25. MikeS.
    Mar 25, 2008
    Best show to hit HBO since Six Feet Under. Excellent drama....addicting!
  26. GailF.
    Mar 25, 2008
    Thank you to the entire cast of In Treatment. I am going to miss watching such an over the top show.
  27. PatriciaW.
    Mar 24, 2008
    Prepare yourself for excellent dialog superbly delivered by a fine cast of characters. This is television at its best, with nuanced, multi tiered, episodes that will make your laugh, weep, and experience a wide array of emotions that will wear your heart out. Too bad it's the exception rather than the norm.
  28. Denise
    Mar 24, 2008
    Consistently rivetting psychological drama far and away the best show on tv.
  29. RobertM.
    Mar 21, 2008
    Riveting, smart television. Brilliantly written and acted. I look forward to my sessions every night.
  30. DeneeneF
    Mar 21, 2008
    I love it...engaging and thought-provoking.
  31. JordanB.
    Mar 20, 2008
    A thoroughly captivating and engrossing television show. Brilliant writing and acting make this intelligent broadcast a 'can't miss'.
  32. MargaretM.
    Mar 20, 2008
    Great..hate to see it end.
  33. FloG
    Mar 20, 2008
    I love this show. The acting deserves multiple Emmys.
  34. MikeM.
    Mar 18, 2008
    Best show on notsotv, TV.
  35. SteveG
    Mar 16, 2008
    Clearly the highest quality and most thought provoking show on television. Completely engaging.
  36. NathanZ.
    Mar 13, 2008
    I haven't been able to tolerate much TV for a while--the Daily Show and LINK TV maybe--but IN TREATMENT has finally brought me back. We watch a week at a time through ON DEMAND. Byrne can sometimes be caught acting, but overall it's a very compelling series, with truly first-rate acting. These are characters we will keep for a while. Every single one is interesting to us, says I haven't been able to tolerate much TV for a while--the Daily Show and LINK TV maybe--but IN TREATMENT has finally brought me back. We watch a week at a time through ON DEMAND. Byrne can sometimes be caught acting, but overall it's a very compelling series, with truly first-rate acting. These are characters we will keep for a while. Every single one is interesting to us, says something to us. Highly recommended. Expand
  37. GeorgeM.
    Mar 13, 2008
    My favorite tv show by far. Great acting, writing and more importantly it gets one to think with a more open mind. Unfortunately some of the critics don't see the complexity of personal struggles but instead judges with a surprisingly narrow mind.
  38. CorinnaB.
    Mar 12, 2008
    Exceptional acting and well written. The more you watch the more you want to see the lives of all the cast unfold.
  39. JulieS.
    Mar 11, 2008
    This show is mesmerizing. Gabriel Byrne is so interesting. You can't take your eyes off him. The other actors are fantastic as well. The whole show is amazing. I hope it keeps going for years!
  40. FloD.
    Mar 11, 2008
    This show is wonderfully acted, written and directed. Each story is utterly compelling.
  41. SaraJ.
    Mar 11, 2008
    Weirdly compelling. boundaries totally skew wiff. car crash therapy - magic!
  42. JudyT
    Mar 11, 2008
    It's not perfect but its better than most of the crap on TV. The acting is superb and if only for that reason it should be watched.
  43. NW.
    Mar 11, 2008
    In treatment is the best show on TV!!!! Im totally in love with Gabriel Byrne - There is something so sexy about him...Ive always loved every movie he has ever been in but this series is the best! Hurry up second season!!!
  44. BillieM.
    Mar 11, 2008
    Relating to the powerful dynamic, sessions with Paul, and his patients is very real; if you ever had In Treatment Sessions of your own. I hope it continues, as I look forward to it.
  45. JudyC.
    Mar 9, 2008
    I love this show!
  46. KrystaH.
    Mar 8, 2008
    I've watched every episode on demand in 2 days. I am obsessed and may need treatment!
  47. MelodieS
    Mar 8, 2008
    Not the best therapy but representative of some of what's out there. Gifted acting and excellent & courageous "tv" writing. Thanks HBO.
  48. CristyS
    Mar 8, 2008
    I've had enough of the typical "reality tv"--THIS is reality tv. The characters all have depth and Gabriel B. is excellent, as well as Blair Underwood and the young girl playing Sophie. I'm captivated and hooked.
  49. IrwinR.
    Mar 7, 2008
    Skill, whether in acting or writing is too often rare, but when found is just plain enjoyable (if that is the appropriate word when watching flawed characters). Predictability is absent along with stereotypic behavior. The author was able to create characters that you don't nessarily like but do care about. Now that's a trick you seldom see on the small screen. The nine week Skill, whether in acting or writing is too often rare, but when found is just plain enjoyable (if that is the appropriate word when watching flawed characters). Predictability is absent along with stereotypic behavior. The author was able to create characters that you don't nessarily like but do care about. Now that's a trick you seldom see on the small screen. The nine week mark will certainly come too soon. Expand
  50. GeneG.
    Mar 7, 2008
    Didn't think i wanted to commit to the schedule but I got hooked immediately. The riveting story lines and particularly the depth of acting drew and continues to draw me in. They all seem not to be acting at all. Byrne is terrific not only in what he says but in his expressions. It's really "must see" TV.
  51. AaronW.
    Mar 6, 2008
    This show is excellent. Dramatic, funny, engaging; I told myself that I would watch one episode a night, as they aired, but I couldn't help but watch all two weeks' worth as soon as it went up on HBO on Demand! Excellent!
  52. PhilQ.
    Mar 5, 2008
    This is the best show on tv today- hands down!
  53. SusieS.
    Mar 5, 2008
    So very captivating. I thought I would find the series depressing and boring. Instead, I find myself making sure the kids stick to their bedtime so I don't miss a second of a new episode. Most compelling to me is Sophie (Wednesdays). Hers is the only session in which Paul seems utterly focused on the patient. For all his emotional entanglements with his other patients, Sophie seems So very captivating. I thought I would find the series depressing and boring. Instead, I find myself making sure the kids stick to their bedtime so I don't miss a second of a new episode. Most compelling to me is Sophie (Wednesdays). Hers is the only session in which Paul seems utterly focused on the patient. For all his emotional entanglements with his other patients, Sophie seems to be the one he most wants to "help" and she is by far the most endearing character of the series. Cheers to HBO for more great viewing. Expand
  54. mh
    Mar 5, 2008
    Excellent writing. Talented acting.
  55. CaroleP.
    Mar 4, 2008
    I think the acting on this show is absolutely superb! I'm totally hooked. What a refreshing premise for a series - a welcome departure from standard tv fare.
  56. DarlaH.
    Mar 4, 2008
    This is a really fascinating show and the only thing on tv I make a point of watching. Blair Underwood has been doing an amazing job as Alex. I hope there's an Emmy campaign planned.
  57. MikeS
    Feb 29, 2008
    A great show complete with interesting and complex characters, intelligent dialogue, and real emotional depth. How it manages to be so captivating given such a simple one on one conversational set up is evidence of the excellent writing and acting. A breath of fresh air.
  58. AdamB.
    Feb 29, 2008
    smart, superbly crafted and acted, this is the way TV should be made: for where our heads ought to be!
  59. ArleneJ.
    Feb 28, 2008
    I think this is one of the best HBO series ever with the exception of the Sopranos. I can't wait to watch the new series. I go On Demand and watch them over and over again.
  60. DebraS.
    So far so good
  61. MarthaS.
    Feb 27, 2008
    The first week was a little aggravating as everyone was so angry but I was soon hooked and have found it quite compelling. Extremely well thought out and well written.
  62. DianeK.
    Feb 27, 2008
    Excellent, engaging and well acted.
  63. JohnK.
    Feb 26, 2008
    Love this show!! It's can't miss. It's replaced Mad Men as my favorite show on TV. Please don't cancel it HBO.
  64. ShirlR.
    Feb 26, 2008
    finally, a show that does tell me when to laugh or cry.
  65. HildaV.
    Feb 26, 2008
    As a psychiatrist I never thought I would like to see actors making drama based on doctor-patient relationship. Eventhough I can see the flaws that you will not see on real life, In Treatment has grab my attention and I am not missing one episode. I love Gabriel Byrne and flipping the channels was how I discovered it. It is well done, well coach and the actors are superb. It seems that my As a psychiatrist I never thought I would like to see actors making drama based on doctor-patient relationship. Eventhough I can see the flaws that you will not see on real life, In Treatment has grab my attention and I am not missing one episode. I love Gabriel Byrne and flipping the channels was how I discovered it. It is well done, well coach and the actors are superb. It seems that my working day finish when I finish the chapter at 10pm. Expand
  66. EstherM.
    Feb 25, 2008
    Some very good and very intense moments, mainly surrounding Laura and her effect on Paul. Love those Paul and Gina sessions. I forgetr to breathe.
  67. MaryS.
    Feb 25, 2008
    There are compelling moments In Treatment as well as those resembling cliche. the acting is quite wonderful, the writing less so. still, if one is interested in opening a window onto the human condition on TV, this series lets in a breath of fresh air.
  68. LeslieW.
    Feb 25, 2008
    Great show. Rarely does one have an opportunity to see the intimate truths about people that they usually hide in daily life -a fabulous topic for a tv show. Strong acting skills, great dialogue and a rich story line are critical given the nature of this show and I believe that they do a fantastic job on all three.
  69. GailannC.
    Feb 22, 2008
    Unbelievable series. Never had the pleasure of seeing anything like this before. Excellent material and wonderful acting. HBO has nailed it this time. Keep up the good work. It's about time there is something of substance to watch!! Hope to see more of this show in the coming seasons.
  70. SusanD.
    Feb 22, 2008
    This series is by far the best I have ever seen to date. It is an extremely intelligent, absorbing, emotionally gripping show. I do hope that "In Treatment" has attracted a substantial audience and that we will be seeing more seasons of this wonderful addicting new series!!!!
  71. RitaG.
    Feb 19, 2008
    I really enjoy this show! Very well written, great dialogue and acting all make for a SUPER deep and entertaining screening.
  72. ChrisC
    Feb 17, 2008
    The first HBO flop in some time. The storylines are predictable, the acting is atrocious and the whole follow through is over the top. Therapy can certainly be dramatic, but In Treatment only focuses on the dramatic, at the expense of nuance.
  73. JohnD.
    Feb 17, 2008
    A very smart, though slow show.
  74. JulesE.
    Feb 15, 2008
    Gabriel Byrne is brilliant. No wonder Laura's in love with him. Intense wonderful scenes, superbly acted.
  75. PamelaL.
    Feb 15, 2008
    Absolutely riveting. And I love Gabriel.
  76. MicahH.
    Feb 14, 2008
    Wonderful to not think of one's own problems.
  77. BobW.
    Feb 14, 2008
    Compelling and addictive, even when it sometimes borders on soap opera.
  78. JaneH.
    Feb 14, 2008
    Always thought-provoking and intriguing. Everyone is the victim of their own self-deception, including the therapist and supervisor.
  79. CarolineC.
    Feb 12, 2008
    Great show. I love the dialogue. This is simple. This is good.
  80. LindaS.
    Feb 11, 2008
    I've been TIVOing the shows and can watch at my convenience. I love the dialgue and situations and am completed captivated by the series. And, I'm delighted that it will last for 8 weeks.! Way to go, HBO!
  81. DannyS.
    Feb 10, 2008
    Wonderful show. Its amazing to see how deep you can go in a single room. No bells and whistles, simply a good drama.
  82. ChristopherT.
    Feb 9, 2008
    An almost flawless psycho-drama.
  83. Dorian
    Feb 9, 2008
    What a let down. As others have pointed out, this series feels like a series of one-act plays commonly found in an off-Broadway production. While Gabriel Byrne is fine (as always), the other characters, err, "patients" are, for the most part, tedious, self-absorbed and unlikable, while the dialogue comes off as stagy and forced, a death knell for a show that is nothing BUT talk. In fact, What a let down. As others have pointed out, this series feels like a series of one-act plays commonly found in an off-Broadway production. While Gabriel Byrne is fine (as always), the other characters, err, "patients" are, for the most part, tedious, self-absorbed and unlikable, while the dialogue comes off as stagy and forced, a death knell for a show that is nothing BUT talk. In fact, the whole thing just comes off as inauthentic, gimmicky and self-important, more an exercise in "duo" acting, than anything else. No doubt, the melodrama will appeal to soap-opera fans, as well as therapists who have been DYING for a show to portray them as they imagine themselves to be: unsung heroes who are too often ridiculed, misunderstood or not appreciated by the world at large. However, judging by this shows portrayal, it seems that being a therapist is synonymous with being an emotional receptacle for histrionic narcissists; I, for one, see this show as doing no favors for the profession. Expand
  84. Dorian
  85. MarkS.
    Feb 7, 2008
    Insightful, intelligent, perceptive, gripping.
  86. BC.
    Feb 3, 2008
    Riveting and compelling. At last a portrayal of how a real therapist works. For too long this helping profession has been the butt of jokes and derision, portraying inappropriate involvement with patients, etc. Since the media has only been able to ridicule that which it does not understand, it has made the profession laughable. When people are afraid of something and don't Riveting and compelling. At last a portrayal of how a real therapist works. For too long this helping profession has been the butt of jokes and derision, portraying inappropriate involvement with patients, etc. Since the media has only been able to ridicule that which it does not understand, it has made the profession laughable. When people are afraid of something and don't umderstand it,they tend to distort, minimize and demonize it, much like in racism. While this therapist may have his own problems, he attempts to deal with them, he does not act out inappropriately with his patients. While Dr. Melfi of Suprano fame was better that the average therapist, her character did not have the same depth, complexity or intensity of Paul's. She was also seen discussing her patient with her family, which was a blatant violation of confidentiality. Additionally,She threw Tony Suprano out in the end which was purely a betrayal. Paul, up to now, is on the mark more often than not. Expand
  87. Lorrie
    Feb 2, 2008
    Well written and deeply intriguing!!
  88. WilliamS.
    Feb 1, 2008
    Outstanding. I like it better than Sopranos, though I found the Dianne Wiest character annoying and unconvincing in the first episode where she appears. Excellent script and acting.
  89. ChrisK.
    Jan 31, 2008
    Smart and simple. Some patients are more interesting than others. But there should be something for everyone.
  90. KyleM
    Jan 30, 2008
    Totally hypnotic.
  91. PeterB.
    Jan 29, 2008
    Hooked in seconds, this is such a good idea, how come it has never been done before? In retrospect it seems so obvious. And the scheduling plan just makes it that much more real feeling. Call it "Real Life 24."
  92. AbbyK.
    Jan 28, 2008
    Riveting even when the storylines are predictable. Gabriel Byrne is compelling both as a sympathetic ear and the much more complex man beneath the facade.
  93. Julien
    Jan 27, 2008
    I've seen the first few episodes as well as the Israeli series: simply amazing. Changing TV as we know it.

1. People Weekly
    Reviewed by: Tom Gliatto
    Dec 15, 2010
    Gabriel Byrne plays the part flawlessly, and he's up against tow especially rewarding talents. [1 Nov 2010, p.42]
    If you've been wondering about the art of series-TV writing, and how potent and resonant it truly can be, you need look no further than HBO's extraordinary new In Treatment.
  3. It all makes for lots of great soapy intrigue, and Byrne makes you believe he can solve everyone's problems. Except his own.