• Network: HBO
  • Series Premiere Date: Nov 24, 2013
  • Season #: 1
6.4

1. Dec 3, 2013
    Look at all these mad girls giving zeros! Sorry to shock you girls but this is how many of you act. I am so happy for this show's existence. It is hilarious and enlightening.
  2. Nov 28, 2013
    Utter garbage. This self-indulgent, puerile nonsense is unbearable to watch as the view is subjected to the off-putting experience of watching a man in drag fondle school girls and flog a dead horse. Its unfunny, irritating and pathetic. All those harping about Lilley's perceived 'genius' need to share whatever it is they are smoking.
  3. Dec 9, 2013
    After three episodes I have to agree with the critics here. I don't find the show funny or interesting at all. It's got an interesting idea, watching a dude play as a typical stuck-up teenage girl could have been hilarious, but unfortunately the show ends up being just as irritating and hard to be around as the people it is trying to mock. I have to give the show credit for really nailingAfter three episodes I have to agree with the critics here. I don't find the show funny or interesting at all. It's got an interesting idea, watching a dude play as a typical stuck-up teenage girl could have been hilarious, but unfortunately the show ends up being just as irritating and hard to be around as the people it is trying to mock. I have to give the show credit for really nailing how these type of girls act, but rather than poking fun at them it just blindly acts like them. There's a difference mockery and mimicry, and unfortunately this show doesn't get that. It really is just hard to watch. Expand
  4. Nov 25, 2013
    Another example of critics being totally wrong. Ja'mie is brilliant. Half way through you'll forget that you're watching a 30 something man playing a 17 year old girl. It's laugh out loud funny.
  5. Nov 28, 2013
    I have always been a fan of Chris Lilley, so naturally I was looking forward to this show, and I was not disappointed. It's incredibly entertaining, and Lilley does a great job of portraying Ja'mie. Well worth a watch.
  6. Nov 29, 2013
    I don't see the humor in a middle-aged man pretending to be a teenage girl. It is bizarre and not funny. Just stupid and weird.

(And I'm not a man, and I can't stand it.)
  7. Nov 30, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Loved it. As a girl, who grew up well..as a girl..I would say Lilley does a great job at orchestrating teen life. The show ebbs and flows in different directions, so I can see why certain people may get annoyed with it. She's not a lovable character. That shouldn't matter. I love imperfect female (identified) characters that can show us our best and our worst. Women are diverse, and imperfect and not always heroines. It does not have the super quick pace that people are used to with Summer Heights High or Angry Boys. Because this time our focus is on a singular family unit. I was highly impressed by Lilley and his dissection of youth and the adults who influence them. I get lost in his work and he always makes me LOL. I definitely feel like there may be some bias towards this show since most of the reviews are from very catty men...i.e "the premise feels stretched as tightly as Lilley trying to squeeze into Ja’mie’s school uniform." Sounds like something straight from J'amie's mouth. No he doesn't look like a teen girl, but that's a good part of some of the jokes. Calling him fat would also be ridiculous because he has a better body then I do as a woman.Over all highly impressive, esp. the finale where I felt that J'amie exposing herself at the assembly with her friends meant to me that she really just wants to be accepted as who she is, without really knowing herself or her direction at a crucial time in her life, i.e puberty/adolescence. Reinventing herself is a trait I see in a lot of girls and adult women constantly including myself, as well as feeling lost without a direction we wish we had. Over all phenomenal work, my fav of all his series so far. Expand
  8. Nov 25, 2013
    I totally disagree with these negative reviews. (Notice how they are all written by men.) Who cares what the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette has to say about anything anyway? I thought the first episode of "Ja'mie" was hilarious. I had never heard of Chris Lilley before watching this, and I'm now interested in seeing the rest of his work.
  9. Dec 7, 2013
    Private School Girl is one of the best Chris Lilley series of all time. Going with the popular character from previous series such as Summer Heights High. Viewers get the privilege to watch the everyday life of the brat Ja'mie King. It's a shot but sweet series that will leave you in fits of laughter.
  10. Dec 1, 2013
    Just saw the show. It's strange and not just cause of the different school structure in Australia versus the US. Although the character played by lilley is the center of the mockumentary.......it's only that character that has any meaningful dialog. It's all lilley... and this strangely sexual child he portrays. For that reason alone it leaves the character without contextJust saw the show. It's strange and not just cause of the different school structure in Australia versus the US. Although the character played by lilley is the center of the mockumentary.......it's only that character that has any meaningful dialog. It's all lilley... and this strangely sexual child he portrays. For that reason alone it leaves the character without context and thus completely unsympathetic. In order for character studies to be funny the audience must resonate. I did not. I have been a girl and a woman all my life. I have never met any girl or woman that resembles that character. The self obsession in sexual terms is the center...and it fails. No girl does all the things this creature does. Ugh..
    Won't be watching or recommending.
  11. Dec 28, 2013
    Though this show has a clever premise and, occasionally, hilarious moments, the obvious attempts at blind shock comedy ruin what could have been a great show. Nothing else about this show really is bad, and Lilley does his job playing a stereotypical teenage girl very well, but rather than use this to create a truly intelligent comedy, the show reverts to stupid and repetitive gags that doThough this show has a clever premise and, occasionally, hilarious moments, the obvious attempts at blind shock comedy ruin what could have been a great show. Nothing else about this show really is bad, and Lilley does his job playing a stereotypical teenage girl very well, but rather than use this to create a truly intelligent comedy, the show reverts to stupid and repetitive gags that do nothing but almost make me gag. By the way, I do not think liking this show or not depends on if you are a guy or not. Several of the people who love this show are obviously guys and several are obviously girls, and the same goes for the people who do not like the show. Expand
  12. Dec 22, 2013
    The initial concept is interesting and I'll admit I laughed a great deal during episode one however, after three episodes the jokes become a tad repetitive and some scenes honestly are hard to watch. You'll laugh but not sure I'd fully recommend Ja'mie.....
  13. Dec 22, 2013
    Ja'mie Private School girl is another great season from Chris Lilley. Very funny and engaging, sad to see the large number of haters on here. I hope theres a second season!
  14. Mar 13, 2014
    Ja'mie has joined an army of teen queen bees whose monstrous, perniciously pestiferous antics (from her deplorably racist comments - "No Asians!" - to her xenophobic mindset) has us joshing profusely, but when she turns into an antihero (The teen Walter White), has our mouths wide open thanks to her lewd tomfoolery, psycho tantrums and cruel regards of Asians, Blacks, and her lenientJa'mie has joined an army of teen queen bees whose monstrous, perniciously pestiferous antics (from her deplorably racist comments - "No Asians!" - to her xenophobic mindset) has us joshing profusely, but when she turns into an antihero (The teen Walter White), has our mouths wide open thanks to her lewd tomfoolery, psycho tantrums and cruel regards of Asians, Blacks, and her lenient mother.

In the writing department, Lilley's intelligent satire of modern day teenagers strikes a cord with our young folks who understand the terrifyingly pragmatical character of not only Ja'mie, but also her confidants, who follow her around like puppies, and her lovable GBF. It's sharp, often uproariously amusing, and very, VERY offensive. But, surprisingly enough, we can't get enough of her; frankly, we adore her.
  15. Mar 30, 2014
    I absolutely love this show. I think it is so funny and the humour that Lilley uses is basically dark humour making jokes about social class and race, which I think is brilliant. He couldn't have portrayed a 17 year old school girl any better, it is spot on! The way Ja'mie moves and talks and acts is so funny and it makes me want to be her. Absolutely hilarious, love this show and I keepI absolutely love this show. I think it is so funny and the humour that Lilley uses is basically dark humour making jokes about social class and race, which I think is brilliant. He couldn't have portrayed a 17 year old school girl any better, it is spot on! The way Ja'mie moves and talks and acts is so funny and it makes me want to be her. Absolutely hilarious, love this show and I keep quoting Ja'mie. Expand
  16. Jul 23, 2014
    Let’s remind ourselves that any of Chris Lilley’s shows are works of satire. It’s not supposed to be glamorizing the horrible things that Ja’mie or any of Chris Lilley’s other characters did. But some teenagers today have taken it too far by adoring how terrible they are, or maybe because they’re actually funny, which I could say the same thing why I like Ja’mie.

The brash, sarcastic

The brash, sarcastic humor in this show is actually funny thanks to Chris Lilley’s performance as Ja’mie. It’s a scary fact that these girls exist still today and whoever does not think so might need to have a reality check.

As for the plot goes, it’s a typical teenage show plot, so it’s okay. It’s something MTV or ABC Family would do if they’re not so scared to add profanities or nudity on screen. (Yes, there is nudity in the show, especially on the final episode.) It’s not that great as Angry Boys but it’s still pretty entertaining to watch.

The production value in this show is what I give credit for. It seemed like the cast on the show seemed to have a good time making this show and hence, added props to workmanship with Chris Lilley.

As regards to the final episode, I felt like this might be a conclusion for Ja’mie King’s story, that there will be no follow-ups or whatsoever and I felt satisfied afterwards.

While this stand-alone show of Ja’mie is entertaining at its best, it’s not great as Summer Heights High or Angry Boys so if you have high exceptions that this show would top these two shows I mentioned, then I suggest you should not watch this then.

1. Reviewed by: Bruce Miller
    Nov 25, 2013
    Because this series doesn't tell us anything about the character we didn't know (a Mr. G spinoff might have been much better), it's often like spending time in purgatory. The laughs are there. Ja'mie's just not easy to take.
  2. Reviewed by: Tim Goodman
    Nov 22, 2013
    Centering one of Lilley's most annoying characters in a series to ramble on incessantly robs the character of its past effectiveness and makes her--and the series--almost unbearable to watch.
  3. Reviewed by: Christopher Muther
    Nov 22, 2013
    Lilley’s writing is sharp and funny. He has an uncanny insight into high school. But the story is slow to unfold, and after two or three episodes, the premise feels stretched as tightly as Lilley trying to squeeze into Ja’mie’s school uniform.