• Network: HBO
  • Series Premiere Date: Nov 24, 2013
6.4

1. Dec 9, 2013
    After three episodes I have to agree with the critics here. I don't find the show funny or interesting at all. It's got an interesting idea, watching a dude play as a typical stuck-up teenage girl could have been hilarious, but unfortunately the show ends up being just as irritating and hard to be around as the people it is trying to mock. I have to give the show credit for really nailingAfter three episodes I have to agree with the critics here. I don't find the show funny or interesting at all. It's got an interesting idea, watching a dude play as a typical stuck-up teenage girl could have been hilarious, but unfortunately the show ends up being just as irritating and hard to be around as the people it is trying to mock. I have to give the show credit for really nailing how these type of girls act, but rather than poking fun at them it just blindly acts like them. There's a difference mockery and mimicry, and unfortunately this show doesn't get that. It really is just hard to watch. Expand
  2. Dec 28, 2013
    Though this show has a clever premise and, occasionally, hilarious moments, the obvious attempts at blind shock comedy ruin what could have been a great show. Nothing else about this show really is bad, and Lilley does his job playing a stereotypical teenage girl very well, but rather than use this to create a truly intelligent comedy, the show reverts to stupid and repetitive gags that doThough this show has a clever premise and, occasionally, hilarious moments, the obvious attempts at blind shock comedy ruin what could have been a great show. Nothing else about this show really is bad, and Lilley does his job playing a stereotypical teenage girl very well, but rather than use this to create a truly intelligent comedy, the show reverts to stupid and repetitive gags that do nothing but almost make me gag. By the way, I do not think liking this show or not depends on if you are a guy or not. Several of the people who love this show are obviously guys and several are obviously girls, and the same goes for the people who do not like the show. Expand
  3. Nov 28, 2013
    Utter garbage. This self-indulgent, puerile nonsense is unbearable to watch as the view is subjected to the off-putting experience of watching a man in drag fondle school girls and flog a dead horse. Its unfunny, irritating and pathetic. All those harping about Lilley's perceived 'genius' need to share whatever it is they are smoking.
  4. Nov 29, 2013
    I don't see the humor in a middle-aged man pretending to be a teenage girl. It is bizarre and not funny. Just stupid and weird.

(And I'm not a man, and I can't stand it.)
  5. Dec 1, 2013
    Just saw the show. It's strange and not just cause of the different school structure in Australia versus the US. Although the character played by lilley is the center of the mockumentary.......it's only that character that has any meaningful dialog. It's all lilley... and this strangely sexual child he portrays. For that reason alone it leaves the character without contextJust saw the show. It's strange and not just cause of the different school structure in Australia versus the US. Although the character played by lilley is the center of the mockumentary.......it's only that character that has any meaningful dialog. It's all lilley... and this strangely sexual child he portrays. For that reason alone it leaves the character without context and thus completely unsympathetic. In order for character studies to be funny the audience must resonate. I did not. I have been a girl and a woman all my life. I have never met any girl or woman that resembles that character. The self obsession in sexual terms is the center...and it fails. No girl does all the things this creature does. Ugh..
    Won't be watching or recommending.

1. Reviewed by: Bruce Miller
    Nov 25, 2013
    Because this series doesn't tell us anything about the character we didn't know (a Mr. G spinoff might have been much better), it's often like spending time in purgatory. The laughs are there. Ja'mie's just not easy to take.
  2. Reviewed by: Tim Goodman
    Nov 22, 2013
    Centering one of Lilley's most annoying characters in a series to ramble on incessantly robs the character of its past effectiveness and makes her--and the series--almost unbearable to watch.
  3. Reviewed by: Christopher Muther
    Nov 22, 2013
    Lilley’s writing is sharp and funny. He has an uncanny insight into high school. But the story is slow to unfold, and after two or three episodes, the premise feels stretched as tightly as Lilley trying to squeeze into Ja’mie’s school uniform.