• Network: ABC Family
  • Series Premiere Date: Jan 3, 2012
  • Season #: 1
6.5

1. Jul 23, 2012
    I think this show is amazing! It's original and fun and keeps you entertained. I think the acting could be improved a little bit, but it's not bad. I really love the original plot line. When you think you know what's going to happen the exact opposite happens! I think ABC Family did really well on this show! It is definitely better than most all the other teen shows on the channel.
  2. Jun 25, 2012
    This honestly screams 'Disney Channel!', couldn't even get through the first episode, it was lame on an epic level. It seems the shows these days keep getting dumbed down. What happened to shows like full house? This show is such a cliche, never seen worse dialogue. Wait, yes I have, it was Nine Lives and Secret Life!
  3. Jan 22, 2012
    I continue to be shocked at the show's watchability factor. The writing is, bad, to say the least, and the acting, (by the majority of the cast), is mediocre at best. Given both of those things you would think I would have stopped watching by now, but, alas, I continue to tune in. There is something charming about Jane (the show's main character), and the plot is original and interesting.I continue to be shocked at the show's watchability factor. The writing is, bad, to say the least, and the acting, (by the majority of the cast), is mediocre at best. Given both of those things you would think I would have stopped watching by now, but, alas, I continue to tune in. There is something charming about Jane (the show's main character), and the plot is original and interesting. The more ABC Family shows I watch, the more frustrated I become, because, with a few tweaks in the scripts and a few casting changes, these shows would be infinitely better. If you have some free time and enjoy dumb teen dramas, go ahead and watch. It's definitely bad, and I wouldn't admit to liking it necessarily, but my amount of free time is excessive and it's quite entertaining. Expand
  4. Zal
    Jan 11, 2012
    Not very impressed so far. As of right now, it's "The Devil Wears Prada" meets teenage angst. The acting is not that great. Even Andie MacDowell is not that good. And even though I like her, her character was more interesting when it was Meryl Streep in the role. But I don't want to write it off just yet. I'll keep watching for now.
  5. Jan 4, 2012
    Why does it seem like ABC Family is landing the promising young actors these days. (See Shailene Woodley from Secret LIfe - now in The Descendants). Jane is a fun character type that we've seen before (Devil Wears Prada, etc.), but the actress brings something fresh and interesting to the part. Her relationships with her brother and best friend are interesting. The fact that she's livingWhy does it seem like ABC Family is landing the promising young actors these days. (See Shailene Woodley from Secret LIfe - now in The Descendants). Jane is a fun character type that we've seen before (Devil Wears Prada, etc.), but the actress brings something fresh and interesting to the part. Her relationships with her brother and best friend are interesting. The fact that she's living without her parents is a twist. And her incredible fashion sense is appealing. So yeah, I'm not in the demo for this show, but I'll watch another episode at least. (That's what I said about The Lying Game....and now it's 10 eps later....) Expand

1. Reviewed by: Dan Fienberg
    Jan 5, 2012
    Jane By Design is by-the-numbers in its every facet.
  2. Reviewed by: Tom Gliatto
    Jan 3, 2012
    It's just a plainer Ugly Betty. [9 Jan 2012, p.40]
  3. Reviewed by: Robert Lloyd
    Jan 3, 2012
    The show is aspirational and at times genuinely exciting.