John from Cincinnati : Season 1

• Series Premiere Date: Jun 10, 2007
7.4

1. RachelC
    Jul 1, 2007
    This is my favorite new show of the season, perhaps of the year. It doesn't even occur to me that there is supposed bad acting or that some of the shows stars are surfers and not actors at all. Each person brings something special, and you begin to realize that this is a story about a rather large, extremely dysfunctional family. "John" brings comic relief to the show, but also This is my favorite new show of the season, perhaps of the year. It doesn't even occur to me that there is supposed bad acting or that some of the shows stars are surfers and not actors at all. Each person brings something special, and you begin to realize that this is a story about a rather large, extremely dysfunctional family. "John" brings comic relief to the show, but also offers the perfect amount of hope to the situations this family faces. Bottom line is, I'm captivated! That's all there is to say. Expand
  2. TenleyN.
    Jul 3, 2007
    It's about time for a "television" (it's not tv, it's HBO), to come up with something that makes us pay attention and use our noggins. Leave it to Milch to come up with a cast of indelible characters, poke fun at us and make us ponder something other than ourselves (which is just about all the character Mitch does!). Looking forward to more; every detail matters here, so It's about time for a "television" (it's not tv, it's HBO), to come up with something that makes us pay attention and use our noggins. Leave it to Milch to come up with a cast of indelible characters, poke fun at us and make us ponder something other than ourselves (which is just about all the character Mitch does!). Looking forward to more; every detail matters here, so pay attention. Expand
  3. Judy
    Aug 20, 2007
    I really hope this show continues. Despite the degenerate society portrayied there were some signs of the basic goddness of humanity shining forth. More please!
  4. RickJ
    Jun 10, 2007
    Wonderful. Way to go Milch. Look forward to many more.
  5. JohnF.
    Jun 27, 2007
    I love the series so far. Totally weird. Really dig the music too. Especially tha rare Muse track, the blues and Kava Kava 'Tic' when Shauni waits in the tent
  6. Cheryl
    Jul 3, 2007
    I love this program. It's original and full of strange characters. I can't wait for Sundays so I can see a new episode.
  7. EdT
    Jul 30, 2007
    TV does not get any better than this. Those giving a zero rating probably watch CSI 3 times a week!
  8. RachelV
    Jul 6, 2007
    I love it! I ordered HBO just for this show.
  9. ArloP.
    Aug 13, 2007
    The best show on TV. It fills a very needed gap in the standard line up. I have watched each episode at least 6 times. Without ths show I would stop my HBO service.
  10. barbarak.
    Aug 16, 2007
    Seeing HBO cancelled the best show on tv my comment is futile how dare they cancel John from cincinnati..read the reviews and not surprised the Boston Globe & the Christian Science Monator didn't GET John..they have no imagination in any of their writings.
  11. TD
    Aug 1, 2007
    I am hooked! It seems to me that the people who will not like this show are the ones who are not able to put the very small details together to form the story. You have to work to find the answers for the questions they raise, but that's what gets me hooked to a show. The writing is a 10. The character development is a 10. The environments are a 10. Just a great show once you get to I am hooked! It seems to me that the people who will not like this show are the ones who are not able to put the very small details together to form the story. You have to work to find the answers for the questions they raise, but that's what gets me hooked to a show. The writing is a 10. The character development is a 10. The environments are a 10. Just a great show once you get to the core of the story. Expand
  12. dirkR.
    Aug 6, 2007
    I love this existentialist crock pot. Convoluted plotlines, unnatural dialogue, the lot. The surfing ethos pervades this show, at points it builds to the sublime. Oh, and Johnny Appleseed (theme music) is a fantastic match for the show.
  13. conorm
    Sep 5, 2007
    i thought this show was so incredible and it was one of the few shows out there where you just waited for the next episode.its an awesome show, bring it back!
  14. Julia
    Jun 22, 2007
    This is the type of show that you have to watch more than once to appreciate. I can see how that might turn some people off. TV has traditionally been instant gratification, no thought needed fare. If you are looking for something a little more hearty to sink your teeth inyo this summer, give JFC a chance. At the very least, you won't regret watching Greyson Fletcher (Shaun) surf.
  15. TomM
    Jun 26, 2007
    I can't quite explain why, but this damn show has captivated me somehow. I enjoyed The Sopranos, but if I missed an episode or two, it really didn't matter. But with JFC, I find myself waiting for the next show no sooner than the last one ended. It's got enough bizaare characters to fill an insane asylum, enough mystery to re-write Edgar Allan Poe, and an edge of mysticism I can't quite explain why, but this damn show has captivated me somehow. I enjoyed The Sopranos, but if I missed an episode or two, it really didn't matter. But with JFC, I find myself waiting for the next show no sooner than the last one ended. It's got enough bizaare characters to fill an insane asylum, enough mystery to re-write Edgar Allan Poe, and an edge of mysticism to top it all off. After three episodes I'm getting vibes that John is some sort of new age profit, and that Saun Yost is probably something like the second coming of Christ. I'm expecting to see hordes of devotees following Saun all over the coast of California seeking miracles and Truth before it's all done, but we shall see. Is it Sunday yet? Expand
  16. PynchonT.
    Jun 28, 2007
    Milch, it seems to me, is presenting a series about revelation - and,for this reason, "professional" critics cannot figure it out. He places this tale of revelation in the most secular of venues - the surfers and beachbums of SoCal. John, "of Cincinnati," like John the Baptist, is not the prophet himself but the presage of the prophet. The prophet is the youngest Yost surfer. After all, Milch, it seems to me, is presenting a series about revelation - and,for this reason, "professional" critics cannot figure it out. He places this tale of revelation in the most secular of venues - the surfers and beachbums of SoCal. John, "of Cincinnati," like John the Baptist, is not the prophet himself but the presage of the prophet. The prophet is the youngest Yost surfer. After all, EVERYONE else in the cast is increasingly dedicating their lives to protecting the boy. They don't talk about protecting him, they just do it. They don't know why, but they can't resist. Revelation. Moreover, ALL of the Yost males and even some of the protectors (including the once-drug-dealer) are experiencing "paranormal" phenomena, and the physician is already mystified. Expand
  17. JohnM.
    Jun 30, 2007
    "Somthings I know, somthings I don't" "The end is near" For those who have not spent the time, this show is not to be missed. JM
  18. ZigZigy
    Jun 30, 2007
    The most interesting show out there right now: it's got me totally roped inand hanging on to see what develops next. It is a wonderfully imaginative series with enagaging albeit flawed characters, visible to viewers warts and all, and you get a sense that things are going to get better for everyone involved.
  19. RyanB.
    Jul 17, 2007
    This show is amazing. It the best thing that HBO has done in a while.
  20. ScottJ
    Jul 10, 2007
    "John from Cincinnati" is wonderful show. Ed O'Neill steals the show with a great performance as the lonely OCD Bill.
  21. Alex
    Jul 2, 2007
    This show is easily one of the most intelligent and forward thinking programs. Those who dont appreciate it fail to think outside the box. John From Cincinnati takes it to the next level!
  22. emilyb
    Jul 22, 2007
    Just keeps getting better and I still don't understand it.
  23. OnC.
    Jul 3, 2007
    "John From Cincinnati" I think is the strangest, most funny show ever produced for American TV. I'm really not into surfing either. This show has some great characters from all walks of life.
  24. KurtW
    Jul 30, 2007
    A fascinating show. I dare anyone to watch John's speech in the Motel Court Yard (Episode 6) and not be hooked. For those who are dismissive, check out the insightful fan discussion of the show at: http://www.thesnugharbormotel.com/index.php There are many fansites, but this one has the best and most active fan base interaction, all of which nly makes the viewing experience so much A fascinating show. I dare anyone to watch John's speech in the Motel Court Yard (Episode 6) and not be hooked. For those who are dismissive, check out the insightful fan discussion of the show at: http://www.thesnugharbormotel.com/index.php There are many fansites, but this one has the best and most active fan base interaction, all of which nly makes the viewing experience so much more addictive. Give JFC it's due...it is only hated because it has to fill the Sopranos' shoes and then after a crappy finale. That's a tough chore...give it a chance because the show is fabulous. Expand
  25. KarenR.
    Jul 3, 2007
    Odd but very entertaining show...will definitely continue to watch.
  26. gloriac
    Jul 30, 2007
    Captivating and wonderful on every level...finally, something worth watching!
  27. tomk.
    Jul 4, 2007
    As a surfer living in Imperial Beach, where series is filmed, it captures much of the culture here. Bunch of burned out folks that still respect the ocean and all it gives. No, I have not seen John yet, but I am watching for him our at the pier.
  28. MichaelM.
    Great show
  29. KN.
    Aug 13, 2007
    Simply the best show ive seen on HBO for a long while. You will only fully appreciate the show if you follow the series. The entire series sucks you into a world with vivid characters and a very powerful religious tie in. I am still trying to figure out johns statements and how they relate to the basic story involving the coming together of the cast. I do look forward to the second Simply the best show ive seen on HBO for a long while. You will only fully appreciate the show if you follow the series. The entire series sucks you into a world with vivid characters and a very powerful religious tie in. I am still trying to figure out johns statements and how they relate to the basic story involving the coming together of the cast. I do look forward to the second season! If you dont like to think this show isnt for you. Expand
  30. MaryD.
    Aug 13, 2007
    any show that can evoke so much emotion during a 1-hour time slot is genius. People who dont like it are afraid to stretch thier brains imaginations.
  31. SteveJ.
    Aug 14, 2007
    This show does exactly what it's supposed to do, leave me guessing and wanting more!
  32. EdwardP
    Aug 21, 2007
    Best show I've ever seen. love the story and characters and especially the mystery. I t doesn't treat the viewer like a moron having to explain what is happening. Probably ahead of it's time but hopefully it will stick around.
  33. lMC
    Aug 6, 2007
    Thought Provoking, classic milch elevated diction dialogue that makes me laugh or knit my brow. Yes infuriatingly confusing, but that's a nice change from who is going to get whacked this week.
  34. TimR
    Aug 7, 2007
    I find the show very entertaining and thought provoking. I look forward to it every week. Great job.
  35. John
    Aug 9, 2007
    Insane, witty, and vulgar. I have never loved a show more when I have no clue of what's happening.
  36. QuispL
    Jun 13, 2007
    I f@*#'n loved it!
  37. ValA
    Jun 16, 2007
    this series is going to continue to build like a game 7 of a world series, goodbye sopranos , Hello John. A home run.
    Jun 16, 2007
    Loved the soundtrack to this show
  39. JohnB
    Jun 20, 2007
    Outstanding. Fine acting and fascinating plot - never dull with Milch.
  40. jamess.
    Jun 28, 2007
    I find it interesting how negative so many respones have been to john from cincinnati.Often times such visceral reactions are just that....reactions.A chord is being struck that makes the viewer uncomfortable.Personally I feel the show is revelatory,brave and cutting edge story telling. I care about these people already.My feeling is that people are uncomfortable with the esoteric quasi I find it interesting how negative so many respones have been to john from cincinnati.Often times such visceral reactions are just that....reactions.A chord is being struck that makes the viewer uncomfortable.Personally I feel the show is revelatory,brave and cutting edge story telling. I care about these people already.My feeling is that people are uncomfortable with the esoteric quasi spiritual themes that are suggeste but not elucidated.There is a powerful river of hope surging under the floorboards of the dsfunctional yost household. Milch seems to be intimating a larger more compasionate world that is avalable somewhere in the detritus of syringes on the beach and burned out misfits from forgotten eras.All this told through an hilarious lens of contemporary shakespearean characters.This show moves me,it feels brave and right and true so far.Milch has set the bar very high in my eyes,high enough to risk looking foolish or sentimental,that effort alone is worth a serious look at this story. Expand
  41. johns.
    Jul 14, 2007
    I love it, im tired of people comparing the Sopranos to it, the Sopranos is over...let it go already.
  42. KevinF
    Jul 16, 2007
    Great show! Very Original!
  43. josh
    Jul 18, 2007
    it is the best, and most clever show i've seen on TV.. i'm hooked.
  44. DonaldA
    Jul 19, 2007
    The show is fantastic! It's complex and effective; I think the NYT reviewer missed the point -- shocking.
  45. VeraB
    Jul 21, 2007
    I just was lucky enough to catch it the 1st show and I've watched everyone of them 3 or 4 times each. They are GREAT! The show itself is interestibg, addicting and ful of on-going questions.
  46. BobE.
    Jul 2, 2007
    My wife and I love it! I wonder if there is a connection between John - Jesus and Cincinnati - Christ? I can understand why some folks are so vehemently against the show. Thank you, HBO!
  47. MichaelP
    Jul 22, 2007
    A different breed of TV. Fantastic show. You gotta let it roll over you slowly. Not like other shows. Give it a try and only watch episodes in order.
  48. jebh
    Jul 25, 2007
    I love this show!!!
  49. PaulG
    Jul 28, 2007
    Compulsive viewing.
  50. BobN
    Jul 31, 2007
    I was the biggest Sopranos fan and was very upset it was over, until I started watching JFC. This is the most creative, deep, but also very entertaining show I have ever watched on TV. Great job!
  51. DanC.
    Jul 4, 2007
    David Mitch and Kem Nunn have put together a truly unique and captivating show containing the action and tension of characters putting
  52. KeithR
    Jul 7, 2007
    Awesome Show
  53. LedZ.
    Jul 7, 2007
    Great TV. Mist be willing to wait for story line payoff but nothing else like it on TV and I mean that in a good way.
  54. JimW.
    Aug 1, 2007
    Every character is a gem. I can hardly wait until Sunday night!!
  55. JM.
    Aug 12, 2007
    This is a show worth investing in !!! How thrilling it is to not feel patronized by Mr. Milch and the other writers. I am so looking forward to more episodes. It's quite a ride- one we have really enjoyed dropping into.
  56. GlennR
    Aug 13, 2007
    Great show. I only wish the critics were a bit more hip. Good shows like this don't seem to last very long in this country...most folks don't enjoy using their brians, especially while being entertained. I'll keep my fingers crossed for JFC.
  57. JAmieM.
    Aug 14, 2007
    Love this show so mucho!!!
  58. MikeB.
    Aug 14, 2007
    Are you people crazy this is the most innovative program ever. Who cares if we understand it . It leaves it open to everyone imagination. I will cancel my HBO if you cancel john. We are hooke please give iot one more season before you give up on it. Please Please Please.
  59. StephanieK.
    Aug 17, 2007
    I love this show. Am completely addicted. It's a little out there but the ensemble is incredible, talk about worth the time. I am a busy executive with 2 kids and a hubby, I travel a lot and am completely spellbound by this show.
  60. richardg
    Aug 17, 2007
    love the show, know lots of others complain about the pace, but i actually like the meandering. the character interaction is fun, and the slow paced early revelations with the quicker revelations towards the end (though understandably tough for some to stomach) was worth the investment of my time.
  61. ReedH
    Aug 19, 2007
    One of the best TV shows ever! Understood what it was all about from the first episode, and grew to love it after the mesmerizing and poetic Episode 6. Every character grows from self-absorbed and clueless at the beginning to caring and self-aware at the end, all thanks to John ,who is somehow beyond human; and the show was fun too. Sorry to see it go.
  62. martinc.
    Aug 21, 2007
    revelatory and exeptional, and, of course, now cancelled.
  63. barbarat.
    Aug 21, 2007
    Love it! nothing like guessing and watching the next episode to find out you're wrong!! Good show.....great cast!
  64. Teds.
    Aug 24, 2007
    the show is awesome,PERIOD. We need a little out of the norm in relief of the daily grind.
  65. AmyM
    Aug 26, 2007
    The critics don't know what they're talking about. John from Cincinnati was addictive, and wonderful. Please bring it back, HBO!
  66. SKB
    Aug 6, 2007
    This show is raw and "in your face." I like that. It's a refreshing change from the usual mindless fair that doesn't challenge in any way. I hope HBO picks it up for another season, at least. Not being able to get to fully understand and know these characters, would be a real shame.
  67. LisaB
    Sep 4, 2007
    I loved it and so did all my friends. It draws you to think which is uncomfortable for people who like things in a nice neat box.
  68. stevel
    Aug 3, 2009
    The creators of John from Cincinnati did some things that automatically got it in trouble with some viewers -- not the least of which is that it appears that it might be about the second coming of Christ. I would have rated it lower for not being clever enough to handle the difficulties in the story in a more acceptable way -- but the acting was so good, I just couldn't compromise. The creators of John from Cincinnati did some things that automatically got it in trouble with some viewers -- not the least of which is that it appears that it might be about the second coming of Christ. I would have rated it lower for not being clever enough to handle the difficulties in the story in a more acceptable way -- but the acting was so good, I just couldn't compromise. gays, christians, jews, conservatives, liberals, etc will all find problems ahead of time with John, which is too bad because it is wonderful story telling. Expand
  69. DeeA
    Jun 12, 2007
    I'm hooked after seeing the first show. Quirky and funny with some great acting. The show is filmed in Imperial Beach which is close to where I live in San Diego. IB which us locals call it has always been a strange beach town sitting right on the border of Mexico. There is a run down end of the line feel to the place that has been that way for the 40 something years that I have I'm hooked after seeing the first show. Quirky and funny with some great acting. The show is filmed in Imperial Beach which is close to where I live in San Diego. IB which us locals call it has always been a strange beach town sitting right on the border of Mexico. There is a run down end of the line feel to the place that has been that way for the 40 something years that I have lived in San Diego. It is the perfect backdrop to the messed up charaters in the show. Can't wait to see more! Expand
  70. KamakuraKid
    Jun 15, 2007
    Excellent show, give it a chance. I am tired of the types of shows where everything is spelled out in the first 20 minutes, this show is not an insult to those of us who enjoy quality TV.
  71. MarieL
    Jun 17, 2007
    I loved the show and look forward to more of the same. I loved watching the surfers. It reminds me of the great Northern Exposure show and all the quirky characters that made that show so special. This has the potential to do the same. The "big mistake" HBO made was not only putting it on the same night as the Soprano's finale, but right after that show. Hence, all the detractors are I loved the show and look forward to more of the same. I loved watching the surfers. It reminds me of the great Northern Exposure show and all the quirky characters that made that show so special. This has the potential to do the same. The "big mistake" HBO made was not only putting it on the same night as the Soprano's finale, but right after that show. Hence, all the detractors are trying to compare it to the Sopranos and are all huffy because they think it's supposed to be a replacement and the Soprano fans are pissed off and vetting their anger at the way Chase ended the show. They are taking it out on this potential great little show. This was a big HBO mistake. I only hope they give the show a chance to catch on. Remember, no one liked Six Feet Under either !!!!! Expand
  72. JW
    Jun 18, 2007
    Through two episodes "John from Cincinatti" has the intrigue of Heroes (though it does not have the desperate need for a great conclusion, something Heroes failed miserably in) combined with the sharp wit and dialogue of Deadwood. While I am not sure where Milch plans to go with the supernatural edge the story brings if he has something even remotely decent in mind the show will be Through two episodes "John from Cincinatti" has the intrigue of Heroes (though it does not have the desperate need for a great conclusion, something Heroes failed miserably in) combined with the sharp wit and dialogue of Deadwood. While I am not sure where Milch plans to go with the supernatural edge the story brings if he has something even remotely decent in mind the show will be brilliant. Ultimately, it is the interactions between the characters, in particular, the way that everyone reacts with the title character that makes this show so enjoyable. The wit is undeniable, and the two Deadwood actors that we have been exposed to thus far, have been nothing short of brilliant. I just hope that they get Timothy Olyphant involved at some point. How he was not cast as Linc (Luke Perry's character), I will never know. Expand
  73. kristinl
    Jun 24, 2007
    I love the mix of character personalities and that I feel like I know them to an extreme certain extent. I have no idea where where its going but I will definitely be along for the ride
  74. NanetteB.
    Jul 15, 2007
    This is my husbands favorite show. He isn't a TV watcher unless it has something to do with Football, but he never misses this show.
  75. KristaL.
    Jul 16, 2007
    My husband and I love this show. Ed ONeil is hysterical and mysterious. His character has been wonderfully developed into a complex person who is enormously involved with the story. Cissy is a trip, she is one crazy mom. The last 2 episodes have shown how much of an impact her mental instability has on the whole entire family. This last episode from 7/15 revealed a great deal of back My husband and I love this show. Ed ONeil is hysterical and mysterious. His character has been wonderfully developed into a complex person who is enormously involved with the story. Cissy is a trip, she is one crazy mom. The last 2 episodes have shown how much of an impact her mental instability has on the whole entire family. This last episode from 7/15 revealed a great deal of back story which was needed, but at the same time brought about many more questions. It showed us a couple of reasons why Cissy is such a "ball-buster" as quoted by Butchie. It dives into the disturbing details of Butchie and Cissy's relationship and digs a hole into the darkness of Butchie's heroine addiction. Needless to say, I hope that this show sticks around to answer the all the questions that come with watching it every Sunday. Expand
  76. Joyce
    Jul 18, 2007
    We LOVE this show! Can't get enough and would love to read blogs, what do others think. Stranger than strange, remember Twin Peaks? Who and what is John?
  77. MikeC
    Jul 22, 2007
    Best show ever on HBO! For those who prefer to think instead of being spoon fed, this show is fantastic!. Amazing! July 23, 2007
  78. RickB
    Jul 23, 2007
    JFC is unlike anything else on HBO, much less on network television. The characters are rich and the writing is mesmerizing. My appreciation with the work of Milch and company grows deeper each week. If you're looking for something formulaic with a linear plot line and stock characters, a la the much heralded 24, then look elsewhere. But if you're willing to spend the time and JFC is unlike anything else on HBO, much less on network television. The characters are rich and the writing is mesmerizing. My appreciation with the work of Milch and company grows deeper each week. If you're looking for something formulaic with a linear plot line and stock characters, a la the much heralded 24, then look elsewhere. But if you're willing to spend the time and attention this show demands, and you're willing to let the show wash over you with each repeated viewing yielding more depth of enjoyment, you will not be disappointed. If you're looking for a show about surfing, go watch Endless Summer. This is something else entirely. If you get lost, check out the posts on HBO.com. Much insight there. In summary, I love this show for how it makes me feel, and I'm hard pressed to tell you exactally why. Watch it. You will not be disappointed. Enjoy! Expand
  79. HIM
    Jul 31, 2007
    Intellectually challenging and quite a refreshing change from Pavlovic shows such as "Grey's Anatomy"
  80. jonh
    Aug 13, 2007
    best show on tv. if you are stupid, you won't like it.
  81. SharonR.
    Aug 14, 2007
    I love this show. I like the fact that they have not given up what is going on. every monday me and my 3 grown kids watch together, even my 4 year old grandson loves the surfing scenes. I love everything about the show, because i am not sure what going on my mind is thinking up all sorts of ideas. Please give me back John, and the whole rest of the gang. Please Please give another season.
  82. BrandyC.
    Aug 14, 2007
    absolutely wonderful show Im going to put this page as a myspace bulletin so everyone i know can vote for it as a 10
  83. RichT.
    Aug 15, 2007
    Great Show. Boston Globe knucklehead cannot comprehend the gritty, almost unbathed feel of the show. But what do you expect, he works for the Globe.
  84. stevem.
    Aug 16, 2007
    great cast screwy plot just what television needs
  85. seanh
    Aug 17, 2007
    Fantastic show, great cast. I will miss it. Like Deadwood, it was rich in potential and possible story lines.
  86. LorrieS
    Aug 18, 2007
    very different and I love it.
  87. BarryT
    Aug 26, 2007
    10++++ I LOVE thisshow! Quirky, strange, mesmerizing, with the richest cast of characters, wonderful subplots--and the big question. I couldn't wait until the next show, then the next season. I watched each episode on On Demand at least twice to pick up all the subtleties. Now I just found out HBO cancelled it. HBO, PLEASE reconsider! Please put John fro Cincinnati back on the air.
  88. TammyL.
    Sep 15, 2007
    JFC is the best show yet!!! Shame they are not going to have season 2! HBO... I'm dropping my subcription the first day of OCT
  89. Jan 25, 2012
    No description of this series makes it sound at all appealing. In fact, despite my enthusiasm for surfing, Zen, and Garrett Dillahunt, I didn't watch it until last year, not just because of the bad reviews, but because even the good ones made "John from Cincinnati" sound about as alluring as listening to Cyndi Lauper read the Manhattan Phone Directory through a bullhorn while Dick CheneyNo description of this series makes it sound at all appealing. In fact, despite my enthusiasm for surfing, Zen, and Garrett Dillahunt, I didn't watch it until last year, not just because of the bad reviews, but because even the good ones made "John from Cincinnati" sound about as alluring as listening to Cyndi Lauper read the Manhattan Phone Directory through a bullhorn while Dick Cheney cleaned my teeth with a hunting rifle. And I'm not the only viewer the series failed to attract. Recently, I read that less than a quarter of the audience who watched the finale of "The Sopranos" stuck around to check out "John." In other words, the show never had a chance. And that was a shame of the first order, because "John" turns out to be one of the most original, profound, and moving series I've ever seen. Not only is there nothing like it, there's nothing even close enough to allow a cautious, qualified comparison--a descriptive comparison, that is. Even a non-descriptive comparison is hard. I could think for hours and then finally stammer, "John from Cincinnati" is to "Deadwood" as "The Tempest" is to "1 Henry IV," but,despite struggling to find the most apt analogy possible, all I have done is tell you "It's really different" and "It's really good." So, though I normally condemn unsubstantiated value judgments, I think it's essential to make one here, because anything I could say is as likely to make you shun "John from Cincinnati" as to make you want to watch it. If you think I'm just being lazy, look at some of my other reviews; all I'm trying to avoid is turning another potential viewer OFF. I will qualify my approbation a bit, however. "John" is not a show for fools, nor for people who just want to power down their brains after work and settle into a stupor. I'm not saying that the series requires effort to watch--it doesn't--but it will stimulate brains that are not already dead, and the questions it will raise are exciting. So viewers who mind being stimulated, mentally, should probably choose another series. "John" is also not a show for rigid people. If, for you, rules and categories and formulae are ends in themselves (rather than means of achieving certain ends), you will not like this series, as it consistently breaks generic and other boundaries. If characters must adhere to familiar types; if, for you, mothers must be nurturing and children lovable and junkies loathsome and surfers moronic and avatars eloquent, then, no, you will not like this series. If, however, you have an open, active mind and your sympathies extend to people unlike yourself and you've occasionally asked a question or two about what it might mean to be human and, most importantly, you really enjoy seeing something you've never seen before, especially if it's beautiful, then check out "John from Cincinnati." I have a feeling that your great-great grandchildren will be proud to tell their friends that you were among the very few who realized way back in 2012 that this series was a classic. Expand
  90. Jul 24, 2011
    Cin-Cin-Cin skinny as a pin skinny as a fatty spells cincinnati..John,
    Enjoyed your dialogue withDavid Milch. However, it just amazes me that he just recites dialogue and can recall paragraphs back for revisions. He has a strong mind. I did watch all of Deadwood in 1 week.
    Will watch for your next creative effort.
    Friend of Jerry S in Chicago.
  91. BrianF.
    Jul 11, 2007
    grows on you as you watch each new episode
  92. glens
    Jun 13, 2007
    A lot of my high review comes from the large amount of faith I have in David Milch from his work on Deadwood. The dialog is just as fantastic as Deadwood, and the characters are compelling. The faith only plays a role in that it allows me to believe the series is going to go somewhere, and have some kind of message. Of course, so far I've only seen episode one, but I found it highly A lot of my high review comes from the large amount of faith I have in David Milch from his work on Deadwood. The dialog is just as fantastic as Deadwood, and the characters are compelling. The faith only plays a role in that it allows me to believe the series is going to go somewhere, and have some kind of message. Of course, so far I've only seen episode one, but I found it highly entertaining (watched it twice in fact), if a bit hard to follow at times. But it seems hard to follow only because of a certain depth and complexity, not because it lacks a plot or cohesion. Expand
  93. PattiG
    Jun 14, 2007
    There is something that is so precious about this show that makes one smile, but it draws the line at being too sappy. Long live the new HBO series!!
  94. franckJ
    Jun 26, 2007
    This is a weird show but in a good way, there are a mix of drama, comedy,fiction.
  95. JimG
    Jun 29, 2007
    I LOVE this show. It's quirky, keeps me guessing as what'll happen next, has memorable lines, good editing to keep all the plots in line... overall a great show, if you just let it flow through your head. John is a fascinating character that doesn't dominate the story, yet keeps you entertained whenever he appears in the show. Really hope it's not canceled because some I LOVE this show. It's quirky, keeps me guessing as what'll happen next, has memorable lines, good editing to keep all the plots in line... overall a great show, if you just let it flow through your head. John is a fascinating character that doesn't dominate the story, yet keeps you entertained whenever he appears in the show. Really hope it's not canceled because some folks don't like the new flavor of this type of show. It is my new favorite show & can hardly wait for Sunday nights... even if it means Monday morning is next. Expand
  96. KimboS.
    Jul 11, 2007
    Most unique show I have seen in a long time. Characters seem really fresh and of course mysterious. You have never seen a show like this. I really hope the storyline develops and delivers. "I've got my eye on you"
  97. JasonB
    Jul 1, 2007
    Thank God for this show. It's so necessary, and overdue. For those who don't get it, you're better off sticking to Myth Busters. But then, to each their own. . .
  98. IsaiahA.
    Jul 2, 2007
    Most of the people giving this show les han a seven re probably people who hate think when watch TV. They probably think TV is to make you mindless. Though JFC is a fresh of breath air to me! There is finally a show that dosn't show the veiwer everything and make the characters no nothing. We are just as clueless if not more clueless than chacters. You wonder who and what this person Most of the people giving this show les han a seven re probably people who hate think when watch TV. They probably think TV is to make you mindless. Though JFC is a fresh of breath air to me! There is finally a show that dosn't show the veiwer everything and make the characters no nothing. We are just as clueless if not more clueless than chacters. You wonder who and what this person John is what he wants and what else can you do besides making things popout his pockets and make people see visions of things. And if your one of those who love to think you probably ike to predict too. My guess is John is an Angel and the Yosts have a connection to god some how. Though I have my complaints the actors that portray Saun and Kye pay the role out. Though Suan racemay have a shyness problem or something. Kye has no excuse for bad acting. Expand
  99. KathyW.
    Jul 2, 2007
    The ONLY change I would make is to make the dialog clearer - easier to understand. The mumbling may be realistic acting but it doesn't help to understand what is going on in the episode. But even with this flaw, the story is provocitave and the multilayered characters are such a treat. Thanks HBO.
  100. JulienC
    Jul 30, 2007
    It's interesting to read these comments. People either hate it or love it. Personally, I grew up in a beach town in Southern California so it rings a bell. I love this show. The plot and characters are captivating and raw. It's addictive.

It's only June,? but I can confidently state that you won’t see a weirder show than "John From Cincinnati" all year long.
  2. Intriguing but not entirely satisfying.
    Mesmerizing and entertainingly confounding.