Justified : Season 1

• Series Premiere Date: Mar 16, 2010
Season #: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
9.1

1. Oct 11, 2015
    Having been involved in a high profile, and rather questionable shooting, US Marshal Raylan Givens is transferred from Miami back to his home town in Kentucky and soon becomes tangled up in business he thought he'd left behind for good.

Justified is one of those those shows that hits the ground running from the very first scene and, thanks to some very good writing and performances, makes for a great watch throughout the thirteen episodes on offer here.
  2. Feb 2, 2012
    It got off on a rather slow start but it definently picked up later on in the season. The cast is good and the plot is interesting. I would say the huge flaw of the show is that it just took soon long for it to get interesting, They definently gotta fix that for next season. Still, Its a good show that is well worth the watch.
  3. Aug 13, 2010
    Outstanding series. I agree with Whit (the man from Kentucky) that it's got the balls to tell stories like they should be told instead of reverting to the same old Hollywood patterns. It's a perfect offering for FX. The casting for the lead characters ex-wife was perfect. She was incredible in Dirty Sexy Money and even better on this show.
  4. Jan 16, 2012
    Mayberry vs The Hillbillies! This role was made for Timothy Olyphant so was Deadwood. Walking Tall lives.
    Raylan nemesis Boyd Crowder makes the show his own and grows ratings. Everybody's cousins in town!
  5. Feb 21, 2013
    It was too disjointed for me to enjoy. I like good plotting and characterization, and although the latter was there, the lack of the former was evident until later in the season. The last few episodes managed to weave the whole story together somewhat but it wasn't enough. There are definitely better first seasons out there. This season was overrated and did not make me want to watch theIt was too disjointed for me to enjoy. I like good plotting and characterization, and although the latter was there, the lack of the former was evident until later in the season. The last few episodes managed to weave the whole story together somewhat but it wasn't enough. There are definitely better first seasons out there. This season was overrated and did not make me want to watch the next season. Expand
  6. Jul 26, 2013
    This is probably the best show on American TV right now. It is gritty. It is entertaining and the characters ring true. Most people from the south see nothing but stereotypes on regular TV. The characters on Justified ring true.
  7. Mar 20, 2011
    Timothy Olyphant is a treasure as Raylan Givens and the show, although erratic in its quality throughout the season, often achieved brilliance. The last two episodes were some of the best television in recent memory.
  8. Apr 17, 2014
    I found this show in the middle of I think it was season 3, and was immediately hooked. I've kept up religiously since then. Only in the past few weeks did I finally get around to starting from the beginning and filling in the gap. So glad I did. It's been more fun and satisfying than I ever expected to see where Raylon, Boyd, Ava, Dewey, etc., started together, and how they got to howI found this show in the middle of I think it was season 3, and was immediately hooked. I've kept up religiously since then. Only in the past few weeks did I finally get around to starting from the beginning and filling in the gap. So glad I did. It's been more fun and satisfying than I ever expected to see where Raylon, Boyd, Ava, Dewey, etc., started together, and how they got to how they relate now. Brilliant. Expand
  9. Jan 31, 2012
    The thing that makes this show Remarkable is the acting plain and simple the acting in this show is pure supremacy but, too bad that's the only thing this show has.Other things that are good include the unique filming, suprise twists that happen rarely, and very realistic look of the country southern american setting.
  10. Apr 11, 2012
    I give it a 10 out of 10, although not as good as Sons of Anarchy, the show does not deserve less than ten. Maybe Sons gets a 10.5. The show hardly ever gets cheesy, keeps me on my toes, and offers a great story to follow, without leaving any show boring. It should be watched from the beginning, S01E01, or you may miss much. But I love this show, and even after Season 3, it still is great,I give it a 10 out of 10, although not as good as Sons of Anarchy, the show does not deserve less than ten. Maybe Sons gets a 10.5. The show hardly ever gets cheesy, keeps me on my toes, and offers a great story to follow, without leaving any show boring. It should be watched from the beginning, S01E01, or you may miss much. But I love this show, and even after Season 3, it still is great, actually, it is better. Expand
  11. Dec 26, 2013
    Starting strong and finishing even stronger, this first season of Justified delivered strong with great action and writing that is acted about as excellently as possible. I won't pick a stand-out character because that is impossible among the more than a dozen people like Raylan, Art, Tim, Ava, Boyd, Dewey, and Bo, but suffice it to say that the show is more entertaining in between theStarting strong and finishing even stronger, this first season of Justified delivered strong with great action and writing that is acted about as excellently as possible. I won't pick a stand-out character because that is impossible among the more than a dozen people like Raylan, Art, Tim, Ava, Boyd, Dewey, and Bo, but suffice it to say that the show is more entertaining in between the gunfights than during, which is saying a lot. Expand
  12. Sep 17, 2013
    I must say, one of today's most charming series! Fortunately, not crime-related rather nice country atmosphere spiced action-drama series and say good-western influences.
  13. Aug 5, 2010
    Great show-- well acted, and has the balls to go in some directions you would not expect. Doesn't hurt that it is set very near where I grew up-- but I do remember most residents being slightly less armed than portrayed on the show...
  14. May 27, 2013
    Now lets be honest the start of series "Justified" wasn't something impressive, it was more generic, unoriginal. But as the show went on it build some interesting characters. But overall season 1 fairy engaging, just above average!
  15. Nov 26, 2013
    Old-school U.S. Marshal Raylan Givens (Timmy Olyphant- Damages) comes back to his childhood home in the poor, rural coal-mining towns in Eastern Kentucky. While battling out his past with Boyd Crowder (Walton Goggins The Shield) and his other associates. At the beginning of the start of the show you catch Raylan in a situation where he has illegally shot a known suspect in Miami Beach, asOld-school U.S. Marshal Raylan Givens (Timmy Olyphant- Damages) comes back to his childhood home in the poor, rural coal-mining towns in Eastern Kentucky. While battling out his past with Boyd Crowder (Walton Goggins The Shield) and his other associates. At the beginning of the start of the show you catch Raylan in a situation where he has illegally shot a known suspect in Miami Beach, as the Marshal Service try to justify this incident,they end up reassigning him to Kentucky.

As for the shows plot line, Its great with broad characters and many episodes to find out who they really are and what their capable of. Boyd and Rayland often get in fuss together as both try to conduct their business one of the law and the other of a criminal enterprise, which also makes the show interesting but often dull. But as you find out about both characters pasts together it becomes a lot more intriguing. Other criminals come into harlan county to start a stir (dixe mafia, etc) and follows specifically Raylan and Boyds interactions with the present situation. Most seasons start and end with a new character being killed off for whatever mess they got into but Boyd and Raylan still prevail.

Bottom line I completely recommend this show, has fantastic writing and I absolutely love all of the characters. Episodes are sometimes dull but when the time comes when something major in the series surfaces it becomes really intense. Definitely on my top 10 favorites.
  16. Nov 13, 2013
    It's laughable that someone can watch a single episode of a show and then try and say something about it to people who are up to date. I try to give shows the benefit of the doubt until they at least have two, preferably three seasons under their belt certainly before giving a proper review. I don't consider the show to be off of the ground until the third season is finished and the fourthIt's laughable that someone can watch a single episode of a show and then try and say something about it to people who are up to date. I try to give shows the benefit of the doubt until they at least have two, preferably three seasons under their belt certainly before giving a proper review. I don't consider the show to be off of the ground until the third season is finished and the fourth has been greenlit. Justified is the best non sci-fi show that I have ever watched; and yes I was an avid viewer of Breaking Bad and the last season of that was utter garbage it completely disgraced everything the show had built itself up to be but that's okay because that show never gripped me like Justified does, I never cared about any of the characters in Breaking Bad they were all mind numbingly stupid not to mention boring and down right annoying, in season 1 of Justified you get to see what meth operations really look like not fantasy world where a geezer can just up and start cooking residential meth and pull the flukiest and cartoon-ish escapes from situations that are already farfetched I felt like it was a cartoon honestly the amount of ridiculously implausible occurrences that happen it's a joke; and at the end he admits that everything that happened in the whole show was pointless and just dies. Lamest ending of the season and yes I was a Dexter fan as well I still say nothing could possibly be as bad as that whole fifth season. Any way we're here fro A great show and praise it shall have... cheers to Justified a truly badass show Expand
  17. Sep 22, 2010
    Good first season, had a few lulls, but got back to being a quality FX program. Acting is good, attachment to the characters is there, and understanding of each person's actions is solid. This show really helps to fill the void left after The Shield.
  18. Feb 14, 2013
    Every man who watches this show wishes he was Raylan Givens. Handsome, quietly confident, wry sense of humor, and kills bad guys, but only when it's wait for it justified. Several great supporting characters. The screen crackles when Raylan and Boyd Crowder have a scene together. Gorgeous actresses. GREAT villians. Fun twisty unpredictable stories. Somebody finally figured out how toEvery man who watches this show wishes he was Raylan Givens. Handsome, quietly confident, wry sense of humor, and kills bad guys, but only when it's wait for it justified. Several great supporting characters. The screen crackles when Raylan and Boyd Crowder have a scene together. Gorgeous actresses. GREAT villians. Fun twisty unpredictable stories. Somebody finally figured out how to "do" Elmore Leonard. My favorite show on TV Expand
  19. Jan 25, 2015
    The good: always been a well written show from season 1 till 5. The acting is superb and the character (even some of the bad guys) are just loveable. This and Longmier has been the best "Western" themed shows that I've seen on the tube over the past 5 years.

The bad: there ain't no more seasons after this year! Shame....truly.
  20. Jul 31, 2011
    Definitely one of the best newcomers on television, the characters may at first seem a little generic and used but as soon as the Kentucky background is seen for the first time everything takes on a life of its own and makes for a entertaining and nail biting show
  21. Sep 4, 2010
    Since I canceled my subscriptions to premium channels, FX and AMC are the only channels keeping me from canceling my cable deal. Justified is a prime example of why. Admittedly, the show takes about half a season to really get off the ground, but the writing remains strong throughout and once it gets off the ground, it's propelled into the stratosphere. Walton Goggins is fantastic.
  22. Mar 21, 2012
    Justified is another cop drama, but with a fresh spin on the played out genre. A well-rounded cast and solid writing have kept me coming back every week since the pilot aired.

Initially, every episode resulted in Raylan solving every scenario with a well-timed shot, but the stories have been taking a different direction this season and have renewed my interest in the plot and where it's going. Well worth the watch.
  23. May 18, 2016
    Now as a preface this is a review of not only season 1 but the whole series. Also I watched Season 1 year or two ago and then stopped for some reason. I returned recetnly since I had nothing else to watch and do not regret it.

However be warned that Justified is not your regular TV Show. If there can be a comparison with different shows it would be that of "The Wire". And now before hard fans of that fantastic TV Show raise their pitchforks - think about it. Justified tells not only story of its main Protagonist. You get to see the life in Harlan County displayed from different angles via stories of main heroes and villains. Some characters stay for a long time, others jump into the scene here and there and many more meet their untimely deaths.

Justified is masterpiece of story and character building, but it needs some investment from the viewer. It is very dynamic so if you don't like where some story or character arc leads more likely than not you will be positively surprised later. The world of Harlan County is very well fleshed out and very believable, the acting is top notch together with intelligent dialogues.

In my opinion one of the best TV Shows of all times.
  24. Feb 21, 2013
    Justified is a solid character driven show that delivers in creating unique plots and season long story arcs. I enjoy that justified attempts to be unpredictable while still maintaining a consistent storyline that's compelling to follow. I also like how each season successfully delves into a unique dilemma that has to be solved or averted in cliffhanger fashion. Other strengths of theJustified is a solid character driven show that delivers in creating unique plots and season long story arcs. I enjoy that justified attempts to be unpredictable while still maintaining a consistent storyline that's compelling to follow. I also like how each season successfully delves into a unique dilemma that has to be solved or averted in cliffhanger fashion. Other strengths of the show center on the excellent villains, strong acting, and frequent sarcastic humor. However, I find that Justified typically lacks a positive vibe (a lot of backstabbing, betrayal), leaving me wondering if I even care whether the main character fails. Still though, the series is solid and I continue to look forward to each new season with anticipation. Expand
  25. Apr 3, 2013
    A great show with excellent dialogue, dry humor and quality actors. It has it's downfalls and poorly written episodes like every other show but overall it is a fun ride.
  26. Dec 18, 2011
    I know Olyphant from Deadwood, one of the best shows ever made. While this isn't quite in that category of greatness, Justified is a well-written show with a handful (though small) of interesting characters. Especially interesting is the relationship between Olyphant and the character Boyd, who seemingly becomes a born-again Christian after being locked up by Olyphant's character. OfI know Olyphant from Deadwood, one of the best shows ever made. While this isn't quite in that category of greatness, Justified is a well-written show with a handful (though small) of interesting characters. Especially interesting is the relationship between Olyphant and the character Boyd, who seemingly becomes a born-again Christian after being locked up by Olyphant's character. Of course, Olyphant isn't buying it one bit. Nice pacing with some genuinely funny moments, Justified is the only show I'm watching at the moment (other than Breaking Bad) where I don't have my expectations set in the toilet. Expand
  27. Aug 2, 2012
    Hands down the best of the cop shows on TV. Timothy Olyphant is superb with hardly a missed beat by any of the support players. Well written, note perfect acting and a great balance in genre. There is solid action with romance that doesn't seem to be added 'just because we need the chick demographics'. Some well thought out drama tempered with great elements of comic relief (Damon HerrimanHands down the best of the cop shows on TV. Timothy Olyphant is superb with hardly a missed beat by any of the support players. Well written, note perfect acting and a great balance in genre. There is solid action with romance that doesn't seem to be added 'just because we need the chick demographics'. Some well thought out drama tempered with great elements of comic relief (Damon Herriman as Dewey Crowe is brilliant). Can't rightly think why this would get anything less than 6. Matt Passmore from The Glades should take notes from Timothy Olyphant on how to play smart tough and cool. Expand
  28. Jul 19, 2011
    Has to be one of the best shows on TV at the moment. People who cannot pay attention to a continuing plot line need not watch. This is a TV show that tells a story in a sort of wild-west way, except this takes place in modern times and Kentucky. It is not reality TV. It's a great show with some really good writing behind it. Season two is even better. I don't understand how anyoneHas to be one of the best shows on TV at the moment. People who cannot pay attention to a continuing plot line need not watch. This is a TV show that tells a story in a sort of wild-west way, except this takes place in modern times and Kentucky. It is not reality TV. It's a great show with some really good writing behind it. Season two is even better. I don't understand how anyone can just give the show a 0 lol....they must have no taste in TV at all. Expand
  29. Aug 24, 2012
    Smart, funny, great complex and interesting characters excellent writing... I enjoy every episode and I can't t wait for next season. Olyphant is amazing in this show.
  30. Nov 27, 2013
    Great acting, interesting storyline and some of the best lines ever.
    -Why can't you bail him out?
    - Those are the first words out of your mouth?
    - I'll start again. I see you're still smoking.

Olyphant is surrounded by a terrific supporting cast, including Dirty Sexy Money's Natalie Zea as Raylan's ex-wife and Nick Searcy (Deke Slayton in From the Earth to the Moon) as his deceptively cornpone boss. But in the end, it comes down to hard stares and that combination of drawled amusement and sudden violence that make him so cool yet exciting.
  2. People Weekly
    Reviewed by: Tom Gliatto
    Olyphant plays this laconic, loping lawman with a smiling minimalism that makes Givens both iconic and contemporary.
  3. Reviewed by: James Poniewozik
    The result is a new-style western that's both entertaining and as mesmerizing as Givens' cold-blooded speech to the crook with the scattergun.