Key & Peele : Season 1

Season #: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
6.7

1. Nov 14, 2012
    The fact that this show can get such high reviews is a sad indication of the bleak landscape that is television comedy today. The only reason I haven't given this show a zero, is because the second season seems to have balanced the black comedy cliches with the blatant white pandering to a more tolerable level. Anyone who believes it is "racist" to compare this show with Chapelle's Show isThe fact that this show can get such high reviews is a sad indication of the bleak landscape that is television comedy today. The only reason I haven't given this show a zero, is because the second season seems to have balanced the black comedy cliches with the blatant white pandering to a more tolerable level. Anyone who believes it is "racist" to compare this show with Chapelle's Show is simply naive. Comedy Central has been trying to recapture the success of Chapelle's Show since Chapelle left, and this is simply the most successful yet. Most were such failures that you were never even aware they existed. David Allen Greer, enough said. While the sketches are convoluted, and giggle inducing at best, the real weakness in this show are the awkward and forced "comedy" bits in between. The hosts seem a bit more natural in delivery during the second season, but the material is still far from original or funny. One of the reasons Chapelle found such success was his attitude. He made sketches because he liked them and thought they were funny, the show was just an outlet. The same with Tosh.0, Comedy Centrals only other original success in recent history. Everything Key and Peele do seems forced and the sketches are marketed to the lowest common denominator, using race related material as a crutch rather than a tool of innovation.
    Unfortunately, I don't see this show going anywhere in the near future. If one day a sketch comedy can show half as much potential as Chapelle's show, this will be seen for the mediocre culture parody it is and will finally be rendered obsolete by actual competition. We can only hope.
  2. Nov 14, 2012
  3. Mar 20, 2012
    I don't see what people see in this show. I gave it a chance and watched three episodes, but I didn't laugh or smirk a single time. I would put this into the same category as all of Tyler Perry's productions - that is, incredibly stupid black comedy.
  4. Jul 1, 2013
    this show sucks, idk who writes these skits, but its pretty tasteless. two black guy trying to be funny but cant seem to steer away from racist jokes. we get that you're black, just get past that and do some more original jokes. if white comedians focused on racism all the time it would be... racist! Bring Dave Chappelle back, we want to laugh again
  5. Sep 18, 2012
    They LOVE to make fun of white people. What a double standard! The type of "comedy" they're doing has been done a million times before and these two are walking cliches of a black comedian. Such a shame they can't be more original with their material.

1. Reviewed by: Roger Catlin
    Jan 31, 2012
    There's great energy and real laughs, and with any support at all from the network, this could mint as many new catchphrases as Chappelle.
  2. Reviewed by: Brian Lowry
    Jan 31, 2012
    All told, it's a respectable niche addition but won't make anyone old enough to remember "In Living Color" apt to forget it.
  3. Reviewed by: Sarah Rodman
    Jan 31, 2012
    Like all comedy, whether the duo always sticks the landing will depend on the viewer.