• Network: TBS
  • Series Premiere Date: Jan 17, 2013
  • Season #: 1 , 2
6.3

1. Jan 18, 2013
    I found the show to be great, though myself being a nerd in the shows definition. The show defines a nerd as anyone that likes comic books, video games, are super intelligent, or doesn't fit in with other people. The show is interesting because it doesn't take people all that have the same set of talents and likes, instead they got people with strengths and weaknesses that makes them eachI found the show to be great, though myself being a nerd in the shows definition. The show defines a nerd as anyone that likes comic books, video games, are super intelligent, or doesn't fit in with other people. The show is interesting because it doesn't take people all that have the same set of talents and likes, instead they got people with strengths and weaknesses that makes them each unique rather than them all being proficient in every aspect. I don't think the show is going to appeal to everyone but if you like video games, comics, or want to see something else besides shows that have people having to use brawn or brain to complete something then this is something that will get you hooked. I don't think the critic's reviews do justice because this is a different group of people from the typical game show of average or super-fit people trying to do challenges using physical attributes that critics always see and know the perfect formula for that kind of show. This is a different show that has a different focus and appeal that isn't common on TV so critics probably can't fully appreciate the difference from a different competition/reality show. Just from the first episode you can tell there are going to be lots of nerdy references that probably will be just like inside jokes to nerds only which is exactly what the show is based on which in my opinion fulfills its goal as a show. Expand
  2. Jan 18, 2013
    Found it quite entertaining and enjoyable to watch. Very excited to see what more head to head and team challenges await. With the variety of the contestants talents, it should prove to be interesting.
  3. Feb 5, 2013
    Your standard game show with nerds. I was bored after their first episode The only funny part is that everyone is strange I was hoping for something that was different from your standard boring game show. But you won't find it here.
  4. Feb 1, 2013
    This review contains spoilers. With hilarious sitcoms like The Big Bang Theory, it’s no surprise that nerd culture is on the rise. TBS’s new reality competition, King of the Nerds, collects eleven of America’s biggest nerds in a mansion known as Nerdvana, where they will fight to the death to be crowned king. The nerds use their marketable assets, like physics degrees and professional gaming skills, to form teams that compete weekly in Nerd Wars for safety from elimination. Each Thursday two nerds from the losing team are sent to a duel of death, the Nerd-Off, and the loser must go home. With challenges like role-play games and life-size chess tournaments, there’s no telling what the next challenge may hold. King of the Nerds has only aired two of eight episodes thus far in its first season. The show has been received with success, despite setbacks in lack of advertising. The pilot pulled in nearly two million viewers, while the second episode brought in over one and a half million viewers. King of the Nerds is TBS’s first unscripted reality show in seven years and has already been picked up by international stations, such as Canada’s Slice network. With their own unique and endearing quirks, the contestants are so loveable it becomes difficult to get behind a favorite. Personally, I am rooting for Brandon, a neuroscientist from Tennessee who is one “bazinga” away from Sheldon Cooper. Then there’s Genevieve, the fantasy writer whose innocent appearance masks her cunning and cutthroat competitiveness. Of course, the audience needs someone to boo as well. Alana, a comic book fanatic, has earned a reputation as the weakest player after leading Hendrik to doom in the first episode’s Nerd-Off. In addition to her pessimistic and self-pitying attitude, it will be a miracle if Alana makes it to episode four. The show focuses on the team challenges as opposed to house drama, which is a refreshing turn from traditional reality competitions. All challenges favor brain over brawn and add a creative twist to popular nerd culture. Additionally, for each new challenge celebrity judges are called in to serve as ultimate referees. Past guests have included George Takei from Star Trek and Adam Busch from Buffy the Vampire Slayer, who generate appeal for both the contestants and home audience. Despite countless good things working for this series, a few suggestions could be made. Although the potential for romance among contestants exists in small degrees, a house romance would certainly entice viewers and spice up Nerdvana. Who doesn’t love a little geeky romance? Also, I think a semi-physical challenge would prove interesting and surprising as a way of mixing up the always intellectual Nerd Wars. I’m not suggesting a rugby match or anything, but maybe in the future fans will see a challenge that marries mind and body. Fans of the Big Bang Theory, Star Trek, Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, Dungeons and Dragons, or really anything geeky, for that matter, are bound to love King of the Nerds. Even viewers not familiar with nerd culture can appreciate the show for its creative novelty and the impressive feats contestants accomplish each week. This show is for self-declared nerds, in-the-closet nerds, and dare I even say those who simply enjoy poking fun at nerds. Despite only having two episodes, America can expect great things from this new series, and you won’t want to miss the coronation of nerd royalty. Now, go set your DVR and remember: live long and prosper. Collapse
  5. Mar 8, 2013
    I would not waste my time with this show. Good show till the it got to the finals. The winner isn't decided by wits or ability, its by a vote from the banned nerds. A popularity contest? Is this prom? You had a contestant that proved herself over and over again vs a complete slacker that never had to go into a head to head fight.
  6. Mar 8, 2013
    WTF!. The king of the nerds comes down to a popularity contest. The least nerdy quality there is. The most ridiculous thing I've ever seen. Celeste did absolutely nothing to deserve that. Genevieve worked her butt off. I refuse to watch the next season on principle.
  7. Mar 10, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This show was both good and entertaining (although it did seem a little scripted at parts) all the way till the finale, i agree with the people who are mad because it ended up being a popularity contest, i mean on the one hand, it does kind of make sense to have the other contestants vote, but i don't think it should have been the finale, it should have been maybe the beginning to decide captains or something like that...the point is there are two nerds left, and instead of having them prove which is nerdier by battling it out nerd style (as had been the case up to the finale) it came down to a popularity contest...which isn't that nerdy at all. but other than that one thing (which i really hope they change next season) this was an otherwise enjoyable show Expand
  8. Feb 15, 2013
    Though I do think that the hosts overuse the term "nerd" a tad, I do like this show a lot. The challenges are pretty creative and the rewards for winning them are even cooler. For example, in the last episode team Blextrophy got to pilot a real flight simulator.

1. Reviewed by: Ed Bark
    Jan 17, 2013
    This energetically produced, brightly colored concoction hits the guilty pleasure spot more often than not.
  2. Reviewed by: Allison Keene
    Jan 17, 2013
    As questionable as the setup sounds, it actually strikes the right tone by neither making fun of nor blindly praising the competitors for their quirks (of which they have many).
  3. Reviewed by: Matt Roush
    Jan 17, 2013
    There is one clever gimmick--the winner gets to sit upon a "Throne of Games"--but the very-long-hour opener is a tedious affair.