Kroll Show : Season 1

Season #: 1, 2, 3
3.3

1. Jan 22, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I personally found the show to be creative and clever. The "Degrassi" parody is absolutely hilarious and original and I found the various characters played by Nick Kroll to be funny and entertaining. No, not every sketch was gold (the "Dude Sex and the City" skit was good in concept but just not that funny when executed) but overall, I'd recommend the show. Expand
  2. Feb 17, 2013
    Once you get past the first episode, it starts to get consistently good and funny. Give it another go if you turned it off early, seriously. It's like night and day how much better the show has gotten in just a few episodes; most comedies take an entire season to get this good. I hope enough people stayed with it, because the show does deserve the viewership.
  3. Aug 7, 2014
    Best sketch show ever. Sloppy Seconds, Rich Dicks, Armand About Town, and of course Wheels Ontario. I have watched every episode at least three times. The second season is way better than the first, can't wait to see what happens to C-zar and pretty Liz!
    Finally a comedy show that understands that there is more to comedy that just nonsensical BS, this show delivers and builds on what it just delivered. If that makes any sense.
  4. Dec 10, 2014
    I absolutely love this show. Most of the skits are solid gold. I don't understand where all the hatred towards this show comes from because the show is truly amazing. I'm guessing the people who don't find the show entertaining of funny are either uptight or old. If that's the case than they should stick to watching golden girls.
  5. Mar 13, 2013
    Rich Dicks alone justifies the existence of this show. Add in all the great Bobby Bottleservice stuff, Oh Hello and Pony Tales and you have the funniest new show of the year. What I was impressed with the most is the show's ability to build a dense world for itself. Tiny references to things that happened previously on the show are thrown in at key moments to establish the dense mythologyRich Dicks alone justifies the existence of this show. Add in all the great Bobby Bottleservice stuff, Oh Hello and Pony Tales and you have the funniest new show of the year. What I was impressed with the most is the show's ability to build a dense world for itself. Tiny references to things that happened previously on the show are thrown in at key moments to establish the dense mythology that one can imagine will only get deeper and therefore funnier in future seasons. Most of the morons who reviewed the show here only did so after watching episode 1. Shame on them. This is a show that deserves a full evaluation. Not an insta reaction. Collapse
  6. Jan 30, 2013
    Can't believe all the negative reviews on here... Prob by bros and black eyed peas fans he makes fun of. Finally Comedy Central found a sketch comedy Chapelle Show knock off that hits the mark after unfunny epic failures like Mind of Mencia. The few episodes I've seen so far had me laughing more than most shows currently on tv. Awesome topical pop culture snaps and silly characters. BestCan't believe all the negative reviews on here... Prob by bros and black eyed peas fans he makes fun of. Finally Comedy Central found a sketch comedy Chapelle Show knock off that hits the mark after unfunny epic failures like Mind of Mencia. The few episodes I've seen so far had me laughing more than most shows currently on tv. Awesome topical pop culture snaps and silly characters. Best sketch comedy currently being made hands down. LOL Expand
  7. Jan 31, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Maybe it's just me, conditioned by enough oddball sketch show comedy from the UK and Australia that I don't mind the offbeat humour on offer here, but I found the first three episodes of "Kroll Show" consistently hilarious. While lacking the mile-a-minute laughter you might expect from previous genre favourites, Kroll and Co.'s comedy continually hit the mark in concept, aping--for example--the editing and dramatic conventions of reality TV so immaculately that you can't help but chuckle (or cry, if you flip to TLC soon after and find no difference between imitation and "reality"). Anyone familiar with the sensationalist, unintentionally funny offerings of Zac Bagens' "Ghost Adventures," for instance, should get a fair bit of laughs out of Kroll's "Ghost Bouncers" sketch, in which a gweedo Kroll and crew investigate "para-legal" activity with unnecessary bravado and spout what is "very much" poor grammar.

On their own, you might not find that these parodies elicit enough laughter to justify your time, but even the bizarre "Wheels Ontario"--which plays like the unexpected child of a teenage "Degrassi Jr. High"--is funny enough in retrospect even while it's actual substance might hit and miss (must refrain from making a "whurling" pun here). In other words, check this show out if you're looking for a satirical take on pop culture, rather than the usual, self-contained humour of conventional sketch shows
tbd

No score yet - based on 3 Critics

1. Reviewed by: Brian Lowry
    Jan 16, 2013
    In almost every case, even the good concepts (like Kroll as a mic'ed up referee during an NBA game, needily badgering the players) peter out, while the more esoteric ones, such as a spoof of Canadian dramas, are a little too precious for their own good, eh?
  2. Reviewed by: Ed Bark
    Jan 15, 2013
    Kroll Show works often enough to make a name for itself among young males in particular. Men of a certain age might be more resistant, but still susceptible.
  3. Reviewed by: Adam B. Vary
    Jan 14, 2013
    Kroll Show runs on the idea that imitation is the highest form of parody, skewering, through pitch-perfect re-creation.