• Network: PBS
  • Series Premiere Date: Sep 8, 2013
  • Season #: 1
6.5

1. Oct 4, 2013
    This series is a class act with great writing and beautiful performances. Anne Reid and Derek Jacobi bring out all the nuances of character and the drama hits the nail on the head in showing us the bitter and the sweet of family life. There is also some lovely humour to be enjoyed. The whole cast is perfect. A small, but exquisite gem.
  2. Sep 14, 2013
    To be fair, I've only just watched the first episode, but it was so good and complex that I watched it twice. I can't wait to see more. I was worried it would be some kind of thing like Red, with older characters acting young and one dimensional, but it is not. The older characters are fascinating and there are all age groups represented.

1. Reviewed by: Mary McNamara
    Sep 9, 2013
    It is the best new show of the fall. It's a rapturous mix of absurdly fairy-tale-romance and frantic modern complications, set in the picturesque drear of Yorkshire and brought to life by masterfully shaded performances.
  2. Reviewed by: Rob Owen
    Sep 9, 2013
    A charming comedy-drama about finding new love late in life and all the complications that come with any coupling.
  3. Reviewed by: Mike Hale
    Sep 6, 2013
    It’s treacle, but it’s distinguished by several things, beginning with its relatively dry style and careful modulation of tone and volume--even the shouting and the car chases are discreetly tasteful.