Last Week Tonight with John Oliver : Season 1

• Series Premiere Date: Apr 27, 2014
Season #: 1, 2, 3
8.3

1. Apr 30, 2014
    I have watched "The Daily Show" occasionally, but for no clear reason I never became a regular watcher. Same goes for the "Colbert Report". But for some reason, John Oliver's take on the concept apparently fits my taste in satirical world news. Regular news shows as dispensed on TV are not satirical. They tend to be pathetic light news celebritycentric crap. I will be watching John'sI have watched "The Daily Show" occasionally, but for no clear reason I never became a regular watcher. Same goes for the "Colbert Report". But for some reason, John Oliver's take on the concept apparently fits my taste in satirical world news. Regular news shows as dispensed on TV are not satirical. They tend to be pathetic light news celebritycentric crap. I will be watching John's show regularly. Now HBO gives us a real news show in "Vice" plus a satirical/real news show in "Last Week Tonight". Are you watching, network news execs? Expand
  2. Oct 20, 2014
    This is an amazingly intelligent show that is not afraid to take risk. Oliver has a hilarious way to bring you the important new that you are missing by regular news. He shows the hypocrisy in the system we live in. Somehow he can convey a serious and important topic in a very funny and ironic way.
  3. Sep 25, 2014
    "The Daily Show" is very well done but the prep time seems rush. But "Last Week Tonight" uses their week to prepare for better quality shows and has less of a need for silly skits to fill time.
  4. Dec 10, 2014
    John OIiver is a breath of fresh air, he manages to utilize HBO's platform brilliantly to entertain his audience while somehow managing to be clever and funny without offending people.

Oliver's show is in-depth, accurate and funny and it's only 30 minutes long once a week. Seriously.
  5. Mar 3, 2015
    i have learnt so much about politics, and social issues from watching these segments on youtube. As for the jokes there is usually at least one per segment that makes me laugh, which is good because i don't laugh that easily.
  6. Sep 30, 2015
    I was hoping for John Oliver to take over the Daily Show, but this is much better. The writing is excellent and the way he delves into the main stories with humor and a well-researched perspective is unmatched on television.
  7. May 25, 2014
    Last Week Tonight is a genius comedy and news show that not only is one of the funniest things currently on television, but also one of the only news shows that gives accurate and relevant information about the past week. One of the greatest things about this show is that Mr. Oliver will sometimes give serious opinions on things that, while usually out of place in a comedy show, fit inLast Week Tonight is a genius comedy and news show that not only is one of the funniest things currently on television, but also one of the only news shows that gives accurate and relevant information about the past week. One of the greatest things about this show is that Mr. Oliver will sometimes give serious opinions on things that, while usually out of place in a comedy show, fit in perfectly with the flow of the show. I would recommend this show to anyone who enjoys a good laugh and interesting news. Expand
  8. May 8, 2014
    So if you like the time John Oliver was the host of "The Daily Show" you will love this "British" version of the show that take all what happened last week and give it a fresh spin. Love the show and looking forward to seeing it getting its own style
  9. Jun 2, 2014
    How dare "critics" review this show and stigmatize it based on 1 show from then end of April. They should redo their review and base it on a significant amount of episodes and metacritic should take their time finding updated reviews from the exact same sources weeks after launch that give reviewers the chance judge the show based on more than one episode.
  10. Jun 30, 2014
    Last Week Tonight is basically a PBS or BBC version of the news in Satire form. Many compare LWT to The Daily Show, which it is not with the exception of being satirical. LWT looks at the long form news and breaks down the subject to discribe it to the viewer. Watch any of his 10+ minute take downs on Net Neutrality or FIFA.
    TDS mocks MSNBC, FOX News, and CNN segments. TDS is described as
    TDS mocks MSNBC, FOX News, and CNN segments. TDS is described as a show where people young people get their news and being a mid 20's person I never understood that, because it barely covers it (it just mocks what has been reported)
    Last Week Tonight, focuses on issues that Al Jazeera or World News tackle, thus being a more engaging topic in news, and less pop culture.
  11. Jul 26, 2014
    Brilliant. Intelligent, relevant, and oozes integrity. Not to be missed. John Oliver is pure perfection. Another great and deserved spin off from the Daily Show.
  12. May 18, 2014
    This has been a disappointment. It's a cc, of The Daily Show but not a particularly good one. Expected more from John Oliver. Plus he gets way too preachy.
  13. May 23, 2015
    The important thing about John Olivers show is that it is politically sincere and consistent, behind the humor and extravagances. Positioned left of the democrats, Oliver jeopardizes unfairness, lobbyism and capitalistic influence on politics and the justice system. He satirizes society just the way a comedian should, not all humor, not all critique, but a mixture of both.
  14. Nov 8, 2015
    Last Week tonight is a very good quality show that needs more recognition from critics, Last week tonight is typical John Oliver humour that encourages people to have more knowledge about current events
  15. Jun 22, 2016
    Fudging details to trample over the democratic wishes of the average Britain to promote Britain remaining in the EU and losing its sovereignty? Last show I ever watch of yours John.
    You should note in your efforts to be a warrior for justice that your own status as a rich elite may not always put you in the best place to judge the reasons people feel as they do.
    You are in the exact
    You are in the exact class that benefits from Britain's EU membership and as an intelligent person you should realise that other groups in society do not benefit to the same degree and can even suffer.
    You are a traitor John and I have no more respect for you.
  16. Jul 28, 2014
    I'm a huge fan of "Real Time with Bill Maher" and I never thought I would find a "News" show that I liked as much. I was wrong!!

Not to mention its a great pick me up after the crap that is "The Leftovers"
  17. Mar 2, 2015
    What I love most about this show is that it isn't biased. Jon Stewart was incredibly leftist, and that made his show pretty edgy. Last Week Tonight lacks such political bias, and John Oliver uses humor to make things from Net Neutrality to Infrastructure (Yes, bridges and roads and dams, all of those super interesting things) actually appealing.
  18. Aug 21, 2015
    Similar to satirical shows like The Daily Show and The Colbert Report. This is different, however, in that John Oliver dedicates a significant portion of each episode to a true journalistic investigative piece. These reports are not only funny but socially and politically important.
  19. Mar 4, 2016
    The most sincere and brilliant late night show on television since Jon Stewart. It's witty, intelligent, investigative, revealing, funny, likeable and did i mention funny! Truly great writing is visible on this show.
  20. Apr 12, 2016
    I’ve always been a news junky. Whether it be television, newspaper, or internet, I will nerd out on anything political or social in nature. However, over the past few years I find it increasingly hard to obtain substantial facts within the news arena on a reliable basis. Instead, we are relentlessly subjected to opinionated rants that ultimately lead to a lack of information and oftenI’ve always been a news junky. Whether it be television, newspaper, or internet, I will nerd out on anything political or social in nature. However, over the past few years I find it increasingly hard to obtain substantial facts within the news arena on a reliable basis. Instead, we are relentlessly subjected to opinionated rants that ultimately lead to a lack of information and often times leaves a trail of confusion in its wake. Understanding my constant quest for knowledge, a friend referred me to Last Week Tonight with John Oliver…and I have been hooked ever since.
    Not only is the overall structure of the show brilliant in the way he tackles, quickly but thoroughly, the past week in news (usually 3 main stories), his main story is usually an issue to which the public is massively unaware. Touching on topics ranging from Prisoner Re-entry, to the grotesque Medicaid Gap, and even the complete corruption within many organizations (personal favorites being the FIFA controversy and Televangelists, both of which left me in a complete **** accompanied by the immediate need to find out as much information as possible). The dichotomy between his sarcastic humor and the subjects he covers separates him from other comedians that cover political and social news. No matter the issue covered, he always manages to pull me in and retain my attention, which is something that formal news sources are continuously failing to do with the overall public.
    This article is not meant to deter one from news forums, for that would prove to be regressive, but to call attention to a culture where important matters that directly affect us are often overlooked by the system that is suppose to provide said information, in favor of ratings. Call me a nutter, but interrupting a critical topic to cover Justin Bieber’s arrest is a tad bit flabbergasting.
    While I do continue to read newspapers and watch the news, because let’s face it…staying as informed as possible is our greatest ally in this world that has taken on a ludicrous nature, I find myself being ever-increasingly aware of the problems within the news system. And while not all news sources fit into this commonality, the overall system has become a perpetual cycle of lunacy and establishment of fear, which sets a foundation of misinformation and social discontent.
    What Oliver provides is a resource to social/political issues that are ever important and directly relatable to our everyday life. His sarcastically humoristic approach and meticulously researched topics makes for a captivating 30 minutes; I previously would have never thought there could be a legitimate comparison between breast implants and abortion laws that actually makes sense. His methodical take sets him apart; and while I find it rather unfortunate that news sources have become the continuing joke within our society, I can only be thankful that we now live in a culture where people like John Oliver use their talent to not only entertain but also inform.

1. People Weekly
    Reviewed by: Tom Gliatto
    May 16, 2014
    His delivery, which falls between Monty Python and Austin Powers, explodes with enjoyable little pips of indignation. [26 May 2014, p.42]
  2. Reviewed by: Joanne Ostrow
    May 9, 2014
    Oliver is terrific at mining humor from the most popular topics of the day, that is, the idiocy of the media and politicians. He's funny when he's knocking our intelligence. But he's best when he sticks to a barrage of short bits, enhanced with clips or photographs, as in his first week's efforts.
    There were several very strong bits, but the best was Oliver's rant about the U.S. media's disinterest in the Indian elections.... At this point, my main complaint about the show is that it's not an hour.