• Network: ABC
  • Series Premiere Date: Oct 9, 2008
8.4

1. timm
    Apr 3, 2009
    This was a fantastic way to make a series of one season. I believe that this is a new-wa and exciting way to make a series. The beginning was or fantastic the plot was captivating.
  2. MarlaM.
    Oct 9, 2008
    the previews look really good. I like the cast and the backdrop. it's going to be a good show.
  3. CharleneC
    Feb 20, 2009
    I love this show! Finally I feel entertained by quality acting and a storyline that is not insulting to the intelligence of it's viewers. I hope it stays a quality program and that it gets the audience it needs to keep it going.
  4. EricP.
    Nov 20, 2008
    I'm too young to have been there in the 70's. I've heard from people that this show is very close to how it was.
  5. BryanB
    Apr 9, 2009
    It took some time in the beginning to hit stride, but the series eventually found its niche and was incredibly strong the second half of the season. Great cast and visuals throughout. The nuanced and multifaceted Sam/Annie love story was the best of the season and one of the strongest in television history, and the surprise twist at the end of the series tied everything together well. The It took some time in the beginning to hit stride, but the series eventually found its niche and was incredibly strong the second half of the season. Great cast and visuals throughout. The nuanced and multifaceted Sam/Annie love story was the best of the season and one of the strongest in television history, and the surprise twist at the end of the series tied everything together well. The series will be missed. Expand
  6. YvonneC.
    Oct 13, 2008
    Great Show. The cast has great chemistry. I was worried because I already saw the British version but this one is just as good. Love seeing New York again like it was in 1973-Kudos to the prop people!
  7. DonnaT.
    Oct 13, 2008
    Loved the acting, script and music.
  8. KathryneA.
    Dec 28, 2008
    Absolutely one of the best TV shows put forth in years. As one of the critics so perceptively insinuated, several distinct movie genres are rolled into one to carry out this uniquely successful time-travel/cop show concept. I am an active 56 woman well able to keep up in this 21st Century techno world. I believe I have almost forgotten the days of civil rights marches and intense female Absolutely one of the best TV shows put forth in years. As one of the critics so perceptively insinuated, several distinct movie genres are rolled into one to carry out this uniquely successful time-travel/cop show concept. I am an active 56 woman well able to keep up in this 21st Century techno world. I believe I have almost forgotten the days of civil rights marches and intense female subjection. Every episode of 'Life on Mars' extended me a ticket on the time travel continuum between the 70's and present, and because I have already been there the journey is very personal and real. Just as real as the present. Jason O'Mara's acting, especially, is inspired. Expand
  9. JeffR
    Oct 24, 2008
    Did you notice ON 10/23 When they were in the alleyin between houses and the kid was smokingthe house had cable wires hooked up going into the house. this is supposed to be 1973
  10. RayS.
    Oct 25, 2008
    I thought i was done with tv, No interest in judging dancers , talent , or music, then Life on Mars came along and I'm hooked . Its nice to see how far we have come in society today since 1973, Great show.
  11. MaryAnnS.
    Oct 26, 2008
    I enjoy the show and the cast immensely! But mostly I find the soundtrack irresistible!!!
  12. JoyceT.
    Oct 28, 2008
    Love it! Jason is adorable! Don't cae for Harvey much but maybe that's the way he supposed to act in this show.
  13. MikeD
    Mar 13, 2009
    Love this show. Great music, entertaining episodes, great cast. Heard it won't be coming back for a second season and I'm very disappointed.
  14. monac
    Apr 6, 2009
    The three best shows I have seen in the past several years are Life on Mars, Mad Men, and True Blood. It's a crying shame that Life on Mars has been cancelled. That said, the finale was extremely well done. I kept waiting for the writers to lapse into psychobabble or present an ending that was poorly thought out or broke the basic rules of storytelling -- but they didn't. It The three best shows I have seen in the past several years are Life on Mars, Mad Men, and True Blood. It's a crying shame that Life on Mars has been cancelled. That said, the finale was extremely well done. I kept waiting for the writers to lapse into psychobabble or present an ending that was poorly thought out or broke the basic rules of storytelling -- but they didn't. It worked very well. And it made a chump out of me, because I'd been watching for it like a hawk and still didn't manage to predict it, with all the hints right there in plain sight. Bravo! Expand
  15. VickyH
    Apr 7, 2009
    This show is and was amazing! Too bad they cancelled it.
  16. RogerV.
    Nov 11, 2008
    Damn near the only thing I watch regularly on TV anymore. Hoping for a full season, if not more.
  17. FrazierF
    Nov 2, 2008
    Love love love this show...it's been a long time since I have rewound my TVO to watch a scene from a TV show for a second time...by far the best show of the season. Oh and the music is a huge bonus.
  18. RobB.
    Nov 23, 2008
    A week is too long between episodes. LOM captures the fun of a TV Cop show, and then intricately intertwines character depth, emotional stories, and an element of the supernatural flawlessly.
  19. KathleenE.
    Nov 7, 2008
    I absolutely love this show...the interaction between the attitudes of the 70's and the present are wonderful. I am turning into a huge fan of Sam Tyler and te Loo.
  20. MeganC.
    Oct 31, 2008
    Great show, great cast, great story line! I really look forward to this show each week and it doesn't hurt that the lead, Sam, is gorgeous! Worth watching!
  21. JamesW.
    Nov 21, 2008
    Best new show of the year! I watched the Season Premiere and was instantly hooked.
  22. JimM.
    Nov 22, 2008
    Engaging, entertaining broadcast television, what a concept! Outstanding. Only HBO's John Adams held my attention better. Dense, well acted, thinking television. Maybe too well done for an old-media lowest common denominator US broadcast audience. Unqualified A+ from this non-broadcast television watcher (I gave up long ago.) If major networks make more series this good they just Engaging, entertaining broadcast television, what a concept! Outstanding. Only HBO's John Adams held my attention better. Dense, well acted, thinking television. Maybe too well done for an old-media lowest common denominator US broadcast audience. Unqualified A+ from this non-broadcast television watcher (I gave up long ago.) If major networks make more series this good they just might survive. Or at least get my eyes/business again. Expand
  23. ArtH
    Jan 10, 2009
    Life On Mars is very good detective show with a science-fiction twist. I find it inteligent and entertaining.
  24. GioR.
    Nov 1, 2008
    Loving the show, loving the music. I watched the first 4 episodes on the web tonight and am totally hooked. I was reluctant to add a new show to the long list I already watch, but after viewing it tonight, I can't resist. It's been added to the DVR!
  25. LisaD
    Nov 6, 2008
    I'm so excited for Thursday nights now. This is the first show that i've been interested in in a long time. Harvey Keitel and Michael Imperioli MAKE the show!
  26. CraigB.
    Oct 10, 2008
    I loved the Brit version. I like the British Annie better but the casting of Harvey Kietel and Michael Imperioli is fabulous. Can't wait for more episodes. The biggest problem I see is that the time slot is very competitive and it may lose out to the other shows.
  27. GabrielF.
    Oct 9, 2008
    You have to accept that the Tyler is (i think) in a coma--the show rocks. It's funny and Imperiola's facial hair alone is worth coming back for more! The Details!!!!
  28. AndrewF
    Oct 17, 2008
    I haven't seen the BBC version, so I'll wait until after the first season of the US one to compare and judge. And I'll admit, my first thought when I saw previews was "another time travel show? great." But I'm hooked after 2 episodes. While Keitel as Hunt may not work out in the end (Colm Meaney supposedly was axed after the first pilot, which is too bad...I'd I haven't seen the BBC version, so I'll wait until after the first season of the US one to compare and judge. And I'll admit, my first thought when I saw previews was "another time travel show? great." But I'm hooked after 2 episodes. While Keitel as Hunt may not work out in the end (Colm Meaney supposedly was axed after the first pilot, which is too bad...I'd like to see him do the NYC Irish cop thing), I can believe and like him, as well as the rest of the cast. O'Mara? Between him and Dominic West, some of my favorite TV police are Brits/Irish, and I can't tell. Good on them. What locks me in is the setting, both visual and audio. The soundtrack works some timelsss hits into the show in subtle ways. But the visual, wow. When Tyler looks up and sees the WTC towers, I could viscerally feel the "no way" that passed his lips on screen. As someone who watched them fall, maybe that's just a bit of wistful nostalgia. But the rest of the scene, from the cars to the people on the street to the smallest detail doesn't so much dwell on minutiae as it does create a stage for the characters to work on. I can forgive an anachronism here and there, and I'm sure I'll have to. But the atmospheric quality of how the show puts the characters in 1973 works best in how it doesn't go out of the way to scream at you, but exists on a finely ground layer of the show, only jumping out when absolutely necessary. I hate Lost. Sci-Fi/Drama crossovers generally lose me very quickly. But this one I think I can grow to like if the writers can keep the questions about Tyler's predicament to a minimum while still giving him (and us) some hope, but the way the show is being framed, he can take his time getting back to 2008. Expand
  29. JulieF.
    Oct 24, 2008
    I absolutely love this show. I can't wait until the next week! It's the best new show so far.
  30. DebbieH
    Oct 27, 2008
    I graduated high school in 1973, so I think it's pretty interesting to revisit that time period. I don't think of this as time travel, but rather his mind has gone to 1973 while in a coma. The premise is not that believeable, but they are spot on with the ways things were back then.
  31. LucyG.
    Dec 7, 2008
    Actors and characters are outstanding.
  32. MattK.
    Oct 30, 2008
    The October 30 episode sealed the deal for me. The plot line and the character development are getting real legs, and shows true promise (if the directors will let these fine actors loose to practice their trade). I graduated from HS in 1970, so the music evokes a lot of memories as well, and with the grainy quality of the video the total makes the period quality quite believable.
  33. JeanW
    Jan 3, 2009
    I love this show; time travel is one of the oldest sci-fi premises and one of the most intriguing. It's interesting to think how one could change the future if one could change the past...
  34. EttaA.
    Feb 5, 2009
    I loved the original, but ABC has done a wonderful job. I love Jason O'Mara and Mr. Kietel
    Mar 29, 2009
    One of the best shows in the current season, so why oh why was it canceled?
  36. Roberta
    Oct 23, 2008
    great twist, compelling. Hate cop shows but this grabbed my attention. Love the look back, it was fasinating to recall how far we have come in style, technology and humane behavior in such a short time. Try to keep this one.
  37. BillN
    Jan 22, 2009
    I was a huge fan of the British version and had a lot of questions as to whether the US could really adapt it. But they are doing great. Of course they may have assembled one of the best casts in television drama history and it is paying off. A premise that easily could have been handled wrong has kept close to the original conept of the the Brits. Focus on the new guy and his boss and I was a huge fan of the British version and had a lot of questions as to whether the US could really adapt it. But they are doing great. Of course they may have assembled one of the best casts in television drama history and it is paying off. A premise that easily could have been handled wrong has kept close to the original conept of the the Brits. Focus on the new guy and his boss and their extreme differences as the young gun brings in modern techniques. THe otehr great thing they have continued from the original is the use of music. Many great classics and a few more obscure "B" tracks make you believe that it really is NYC in the 70's. Hopefully ABC will put out a soundtrack album. Expand
  38. KretzM.
    Nov 22, 2008

1. Based on a popular BBC series, Life on Mars, like Mad Men, makes a long-ago era feel both alien and nostalgic, like in the sweet moment where Sam wanders into a record store and just beams.
  2. If the ambition of the pilot continues, American television may get another remake right. We'll have our first hint this next week. In the meantime, enjoy the pilot.
  3. Reviewed by: James Poniewozik
    The premise of ABC's Life on Mars is ludicrous but irresistible.