• Network: HBO , BBC Two
  • Series Premiere Date: Feb 19, 2012
  • Season #: 1
7.0

1. Jul 12, 2013
    In many respects, this show is lacking. The episode plots are not perfectly constructed, the writing isn't always on point and the characters are not complex. However, despite these shortcomings (pardon the pun) Life's Too Short ultimately delivers powerful laughs that make it timeless. Seldom do I find a show that is able to make me burst out laughing like this one. So what if it often utilizes cameo appearances from famous actors? They are absolutely hilarious and enjoyable to watch.

Sometimes I want to watch an intricate web of plotlines converge in a hysterical culmination of events that cause me to consistently chuckle throughout the episode (e.g. Seinfeld) But I also enjoy comedies that are able to provide incredible moments of situational humor that leave me with tears in my eyes. In this respect, Life's Too Short is an undeniable success
  2. May 2, 2013
    Life's Too Short was extremely disappointing to me, having been a huge fan of The Office and Extras, I had high hopes for their third outing. What I was left with was weird mixture of the two shows which didn't have the hilarious scenes from The Office and didn't have the fascinating commentary of the obsession with fame from Extras. Warwick Davis does deliver a good performance but, its the whole package that left a bitter, disappointing taste in my mouth. Expand
  3. Feb 6, 2013
    With The Office and Extras on their CV Ricky Gervais and Stephen Merchant have been responsible for two of the best British sit-coms of the modern era and their influence is again very much evident in Life's Too Short.

As with The Office their latest series is shot in fake documentary style but this time around it focuses on a fictional version of actor Warwick Davis as he struggles to
    come to terms with his fading career. Throughout this series Davis shows himself to be an excellent comic actor even if he does play things a little too similar to David Brent on occasions. The majority of the celebrity cameos are also well written (particularly Liam Neeson) and the ongoing jokes involving the likes of Les Dennis and Shaun Williamson are very funny indeed.

However the reason The Office and Extras were so well received, aside from the fact they were very funny, was their originality and it is in this department that Life's Too Short fails. When watching it is hard not to be constantly reminded of scenes from Gervais and Merchants earlier, usually superior, work. Everytime Warwick Davis gives a knowing look to the camera one can't help but picture David Brent sat behind his desk.

Existing fans of the comedy duo will there are laughs to be had just don’t be expecting another ground breaking television show.
  4. Nov 28, 2012
    Very funny series and hilarious plots. People who critic negatively this show must have personal issues and don't need to share their comments. Well written, and the cast is great! Keep the show on for more years, as your fan base will continue with their support.
  5. Mar 1, 2012
    This is like a mix of Gervais previous work The Office and Extras just not as good as either show. It lacks any real soul and just seems to consist of celebrity cameos and lame dwarf jokes. Unlike Gervais previous work ther's no characters with any depth to care about and no real plot. In parts it's funny but for the first time Gervais and Merchant are looking like limited writers who could do with some new ideas. Expand
  6. Feb 22, 2012
    Firstly, it would be wise to ignore the ridiculous and misguided reviews of "Long time Gervais fans" who seem to be disappointed that Gervais and Merchant haven't again been able to create an entire new genre of comedy (surely once in a decade is enough?) Yes, the humour is the same as Extras and the Office, but what were you expecting? This was by far the best comedy released in 2011. I feel this is the type of comedy Gervais / Merchant have always wanted to do - the comedy is harsh and unforgiving, it's also a lot edgier than what we have seen in the past. They have slowed down on the pathos and amped up the absurdist comedy. Warwick Davis' performance will impress over repeat viewings and Rosamund Hanson is brilliant. Johnny Depp and Liam Neeson are some of the highlights, but there are also some excellent guest spots from lesser known English comedians.

The criticisms: Those who hate Gervais for his smug character, will only hate him more after this show. Gervais and Merchant are clearly playing Curb style exaggerations of their public personas. However, this nuance is suprisingly missed as Gervais' online profile seemingly blurs the lines between persona and his real self . The other fault that was distracting was the mockumentary format, which was obviously not given as much thought and OCD like detailing as The Office, resulting in some unrealistic multiple camera angles and unlikely or unconvincing scenes.

No, the show is not as good as The Office or Extras, but neither has any other comedy since Seinfeld. As a stand alone creation, LTS is still miles ahead of the competition.
  7. Feb 22, 2012
    I thought the show was OK but nothing special having seen the English version. It's very very similar to Extras and that's one thing that really makes me dislike the show. With The Office, Gervais had a new sort of idea with the whole mockumentary thing, with Extras it was a critique on celebrity culture and the cameos by stars were really neat. This show combines both and relies solely on Warwick's size to differentiate itself. A few smirks are to be had from this show but nothing great. I agree that the Liam Neeson scene was the best in the series.

With that said, Gervais/Merchant generally make shows that start off as light comedies and then evolve them into almost a drama. Time will tell if they can salvage this one but I am worried by how little new I see here.
  8. Feb 21, 2012
    In the UK, we have had the misfortune to have had the whole series (season) shown. As a Gervais/Marchant fan, I gave the first two episodes a good chance to entertain me. Sadly, I found myself remembering how great the Office & Extras are, and how poor this is in comparison.

I laughed once in the first two episodes. However, laughing at the Verne Troyer slapstick left me feeling a little
    dirty, whilst his mannerisms and monologues are identical to David Brent's self-delusion. I really felt there was no originality, and that the whole thing had been forced through as a vanity project for Gervais to show off his celebrity connections (which can be funny but are relied upon to prop up an otherwise very poor programme.) Expand
  9. Feb 20, 2012
    In the brilliant Office, Brent quipped that Alton Towers was his biggest disappointment. Watching this show I felt like I knew exactly what he meant. Boring, predictable, self plagurisation (so many scenes from the Office re-hashed), far fetched, ridiculous are just some of the words to describe this effort of a show. I'm huge fans of Gervais and Merchant. The Office is perfect, Extras not so but still very good. Life's Too Short is an insult to the fans and viewers. Lazy and moronic. Most of the actors acting like Gervais. If you found Maggie's unbelievable stupidity irritating in Extras then Warricks assistant sinks to even lower levels, not to mention his accountant. Where are the real 3 dimensional characters, Tim and Dawn, everyone in this is a wanker. Each episode needs to be saved by a cameo appearance or by Merchant & Gervais popping up who are undoubtedly funny. I really hope its not the case but this might be the start of the decline of Gervais and to a lesser extent Merchant who has taken off in Hollywood recently Expand
  10. Feb 20, 2012
    Pleasantly surprised by the premiere episode. Warwick Davis was very good and Ricky and Steve are always fun to watch in any context. The dry humor is reminiscent of the British Office and the first few seasons of the US Office. What worries me is that the funniest sequence of the episode came from Liam Neeson meeting with Ricky and Steve. From what I understand this show will be cameo and guest star driven, but what does that say about the lead characters? I'd rather see a show about Davis and his quest to find work, opposed to random guest spots stealing the show. Don't get me wrong, seeing Neeson trying to be funny (which was inherently funny in itself) is all well and good, but I worry Davis might not get the credit he deserves for what was a very funny pilot, and hopefully, season to come. Expand
  11. Feb 19, 2012
    Very good show, Ricky Gervais and Steve Merchant have a brilliant way of mixing up the brit style of dry conversational humor, Warwick does a very good job of playing a egotistical neurotic dwarf. He deserves and award.. they all do.

1. Reviewed by: Rob Owen
    Feb 21, 2012
    The show conjures the most laughs when Mr. Gervais is on screen, but his presence doesn't mesh naturally with Warwick's world.
  2. Reviewed by: Mark A. Perigard
    Feb 21, 2012
    Life may be short, but this comedy is not long enough.
  3. Reviewed by: Mary McNamara
    Feb 21, 2012
    Too often Life's Too Short feels like two shows stuck together with a bit of chewing gum.