7.2

1. Mar 1, 2012
    This is like a mix of Gervais previous work The Office and Extras just not as good as either show. It lacks any real soul and just seems to consist of celebrity cameos and lame dwarf jokes. Unlike Gervais previous work ther's no characters with any depth to care about and no real plot. In parts it's funny but for the first time Gervais and Merchant are looking like limited writers whoThis is like a mix of Gervais previous work The Office and Extras just not as good as either show. It lacks any real soul and just seems to consist of celebrity cameos and lame dwarf jokes. Unlike Gervais previous work ther's no characters with any depth to care about and no real plot. In parts it's funny but for the first time Gervais and Merchant are looking like limited writers who could do with some new ideas. Expand
  2. Feb 22, 2012
    I thought the show was OK but nothing special having seen the English version. It's very very similar to Extras and that's one thing that really makes me dislike the show. With The Office, Gervais had a new sort of idea with the whole mockumentary thing, with Extras it was a critique on celebrity culture and the cameos by stars were really neat. This show combines both and relies solely onI thought the show was OK but nothing special having seen the English version. It's very very similar to Extras and that's one thing that really makes me dislike the show. With The Office, Gervais had a new sort of idea with the whole mockumentary thing, with Extras it was a critique on celebrity culture and the cameos by stars were really neat. This show combines both and relies solely on Warwick's size to differentiate itself. A few smirks are to be had from this show but nothing great. I agree that the Liam Neeson scene was the best in the series.

With that said, Gervais/Merchant generally make shows that start off as light comedies and then evolve them into almost a drama. Time will tell if they can salvage this one but I am worried by how little new I see here.
  3. Feb 6, 2013
    With The Office and Extras on their CV Ricky Gervais and Stephen Merchant have been responsible for two of the best British sit-coms of the modern era and their influence is again very much evident in Life's Too Short.

As with The Office their latest series is shot in fake documentary style but this time around it focuses on a fictional version of actor Warwick Davis as he struggles to come to terms with his fading career. Throughout this series Davis shows himself to be an excellent comic actor even if he does play things a little too similar to David Brent on occasions. The majority of the celebrity cameos are also well written (particularly Liam Neeson) and the ongoing jokes involving the likes of Les Dennis and Shaun Williamson are very funny indeed.

However the reason The Office and Extras were so well received, aside from the fact they were very funny, was their originality and it is in this department that Life's Too Short fails. When watching it is hard not to be constantly reminded of scenes from Gervais and Merchants earlier, usually superior, work. Everytime Warwick Davis gives a knowing look to the camera one can't help but picture David Brent sat behind his desk.

Existing fans of the comedy duo will there are laughs to be had just don’t be expecting another ground breaking television show.
  4. May 2, 2013
    Life's Too Short was extremely disappointing to me, having been a huge fan of The Office and Extras, I had high hopes for their third outing. What I was left with was weird mixture of the two shows which didn't have the hilarious scenes from The Office and didn't have the fascinating commentary of the obsession with fame from Extras. Warwick Davis does deliver a good performance but, itsLife's Too Short was extremely disappointing to me, having been a huge fan of The Office and Extras, I had high hopes for their third outing. What I was left with was weird mixture of the two shows which didn't have the hilarious scenes from The Office and didn't have the fascinating commentary of the obsession with fame from Extras. Warwick Davis does deliver a good performance but, its the whole package that left a bitter, disappointing taste in my mouth. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Rob Owen
    Feb 21, 2012
    The show conjures the most laughs when Mr. Gervais is on screen, but his presence doesn't mesh naturally with Warwick's world.
  2. Reviewed by: Mark A. Perigard
    Feb 21, 2012
    Life may be short, but this comedy is not long enough.
  3. Reviewed by: Mary McNamara
    Feb 21, 2012
    Too often Life's Too Short feels like two shows stuck together with a bit of chewing gum.