• Network: FX
  • Series Premiere Date: Jan 11, 2011
  • Season #: 1
8.1

1. Jan 31, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This series has everything to go right, a champion to be retired, but be crazy to go back to war of punches back. 100%. A great many early struggles to come, I look at this great emotion. Expand
  2. Mar 10, 2011
    Being a avid boxing fan this show has it all. Very witty with a lot of insight to the boxing world. Very true to a real experience of a boxer and everything around him. One of my favorite shows of all time. Teddy Atlas is an advisor to the show and that says a lot.
  3. NMC
    Mar 26, 2011
    This show is very well written and just plain exciting. You can see yourself in the characters, struggling to do right by all. The boxing scenes and matches are intense and realistic. The characters are complex.
  4. Mar 27, 2011
    Unbearable shows like 'Community', 'Fringe', and the 200 crime drama series on CBS get renewed but FX cancels Lights Out and Terriers. FX has a long history of not only having a miniscule budget for their television series, but now we're seeing them try to become more like a basic cable network. They have been transitioning towards the concept of quantity rather than quality, whereas in the past I believe FX was all about quality and I really respected them for it. Imagine if The Shield was cancelled after its first season due to decent but not great 'ratings'. We would have never been able to love 'Vic Macke' for those 7 great seasons, meanwhile FX was barely keeping the show alive financially. Lights Out I think was one of the top 3 best new series of 2011 along with Shameless and The Walking Dead. I would have liked to seen another season at least since 'Lights Leary' can't really keep his abilities too far into his 40s, so 2 or 3 seasons at most would have been ideal. I think Lights Out could have survived, and can still survive perhaps, if they were on HBO or Showtime. At least then you have a network who supports their series with loyalty and of course tons of cash. Terriers had some potential as well though I can agree with cancelling it after 1 season because you can only take that premise so far with a mediocre cast. Personaly I think Archer is a truely awful bag of crap, but you can see why FX loves it so much ($$$ from advertisements). It's kind of a shame It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia is so underrated with it's cast probably serverely underpaid, meanwhile it's been maybe the best sitcom on tv in the past 5 years (2.5 Men is for retards who like #Winning). I think FX started to realize that after producing critically aclaimed series like The Shield, Rescue Me, Damages, Nip Tuck, etc. they won over critics but not advertisers and the 'american idol' generation of viewers. So in with the 'new', out with the 'old'. After Rescue Me and Damages are done, so is FX in my opinion. Expand
  5. Mar 31, 2011
    I love this show . it's way better then a lot of the stuff FX shows or has shown. I think this show is right up their with Sons of anarchy ,and the shield .
  6. Apr 14, 2011
    This was a great show that wasn't based on action (although the few scenes fight scenes were pretty good), but based on powerful characters. It's a shame this original show got cancelled before it hit its prime, while we have dozens of cop dramas, soap operas, and other shows that are a dime a dozen. The 13 episodes we actually got are all worth watching and I highly recommend them to everyone.

1. Reviewed by: Tom Gliatto
    Jan 24, 2011
    Beneath the grit, this is a tale of chivalry. [31 Jan 2011, p.40]
    Lights Out starts slower but has an even more intriguing anti-hero dad: Patrick "Lights" Leary (in a beautiful and subtle performance by Holt McCallany), a retired heavyweight champion with itchy fists.
  3. Reviewed by: Ken Tucker
    Jan 12, 2011
    At its strongest, it freshens those themes without melodrama, opting instead for slow-boil tension. The challenge for this artful series is whether that boiling point is too slow for viewers raised on WWE Raw and mixed martial arts.